Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been generally enjoying the manga version of this but there's been some new chapters recently and boy howdy does the author's lovely mentality shine through on his beliefs about working conditions, child labor etc, and of course is portrayed as the "virtuous" choice

https://mangadex.org/chapter/906973

lol "hindering their growth"(which is them being forced to constantly adapt just to survive) by giving them a reasonable standard of living that you can totally pull off with the resources available to you and treating your inaction as a noble choice, piss off protag/author

hell, hire them to do what they were doing before(picking up monster corpses) officially as a cleanup crew for the mines or whatever and pay them a proper wage instead of having them continue to struggle to fend for themselves. he straight up told them to go back to cleaning the toilet pits which was stated right beforehand that it would make them sick if they had kept doing it, when his slimes love doing it and don't get sick from the piles of poo poo. it just reads like "suffering builds character" preaching to me

I read the chapter and yeah, that is some high-and-mighty bullshit. You'd think the protag would feel more empathy towards them since he died from overworking, but no, these kids need to learn to bootstrap themselves without any OP skills to cheat their way to a reasonable standard of living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, his life of suffering which no one was willing to help him through paid off in the end. if those kids feel so bad about it why don't they just get a bunch of doting gods to remove all difficulties they could ever face?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a ragtag group of orphans, cleaning up poo poo pits to pay their EXISTENCE TAX, clearly they can ascend the societal ranks on their own! why would I, a rich, successful inheritor of incredible unique skills and wealth blessed by the gods to have no struggle in my life, give them assistance in improving their situation? they should be able to get to the rank of "base serf" in another ten years methinks!

that the author didn't make it incredibly apparent how hosed up a bunch of 10-12 year old orphans being forced to pay residence taxes and instead opted to say "nah fuckem, they're fine" instead of extending the MC's incredible resources to give these kids whose spirits had not yet been crushed by the inexorable machinations of feudal society a better chance at really accomplishing something, which would require the barest minimum of effort on his part, really shows what a dipshit the author is

like the series was OKAY before as a fairly generic, blase isekai but that chapter was some really revealingly stupid stuff.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 29, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is sounding increasingly unwholesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, that's the point, it was a relatively wholesome if generic isekai, that has taken a dive the last few chapters.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
More like a relatively pointless isekai before this took place, since he breezes effortlessly through life.

There's a lot of harmless garbage linked in the OP - wholesome doesn't make something good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ok

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

a ragtag group of orphans, cleaning up poo poo pits to pay their EXISTENCE TAX, clearly they can ascend the societal ranks on their own! why would I, a rich, successful inheritor of incredible unique skills and wealth blessed by the gods to have no struggle in my life, give them assistance in improving their situation? they should be able to get to the rank of "base serf" in another ten years methinks!

that the author didn't make it incredibly apparent how hosed up a bunch of 10-12 year old orphans being forced to pay residence taxes and instead opted to say "nah fuckem, they're fine" instead of extending the MC's incredible resources to give these kids whose spirits had not yet been crushed by the inexorable machinations of feudal society a better chance at really accomplishing something, which would require the barest minimum of effort on his part, really shows what a dipshit the author is

like the series was OKAY before as a fairly generic, blase isekai but that chapter was some really revealingly stupid stuff.

but the duke's family is so nice you guyssss :(:(:(:( they're just making the world a better place by hiring orphans to clean the shithouses :(:(:(:(:(:( also I could take the time to actually teach anyone how to turn slimes into sewers but they've got a mop and bucket it's fine :):):):)

(any time an isekai starts acting like Noblesse Oblige is a good and real thing a red flag earns it's wings)

edit: like, if bookworms off limits this is WAY worse because it seems like it treats child labour as good for the child, actually.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 29, 2020

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Reading through it I was under the impression he was gonna make up a way to have them live in the mine with him and pay them to help him with stuff and train them. The "let them live their lives" swerve felt out of place for a story about learning to rely on people who want to help you (guess he didn't).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Maybe it'll be slightly similar to F-Class hero where the gods show up and tell him he's being a little poo poo and shouldn't just let them be and should actually improve things for people, introduce things like a formal schooling system and the like?

OK I know that's unlikely as hell but it would certainly spice up the series a bit if he actually had to grow as a person in some way.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
The previous scanlation group dropping this series a few chapters before all this crap makes more sense now. As pointed out, it was a fairly wholesome series but then it took a nosedive off the cliff of respectability with these chapters. Time for discussion of this series to move to the other isekai thread I guess to help keep this one clean(er).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This is where we fabricate a fan theory that he's suffered some kind of brain damage. He just suddenly decides he's going to "live independently" which apparently means living in a noble's mine that was offered to him nearby. I still haven't figured that part out without getting into the Galt's Gulch thing with the kids.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

amigolupus posted:

I read the chapter and yeah, that is some high-and-mighty bullshit. You'd think the protag would feel more empathy towards them since he died from overworking, but no, these kids need to learn to bootstrap themselves without any OP skills to cheat their way to a reasonable standard of living.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, his life of suffering which no one was willing to help him through paid off in the end. if those kids feel so bad about it why don't they just get a bunch of doting gods to remove all difficulties they could ever face?

Look, you don't understand. Nothing could be done. If he starts helping the poor, he's gonna stand out and then he won't be able to live a quiet life unburdened by obligations to society. I just want to quietly continue expanding slime evolution and if a two headed saber bear starts tearing apart my farm then I'll step in and kill that no problem, but if there're kids being washed down a river well they'll have to solve that one on their own. Can't go getting involved in everyone else's life. They might be getting drawn into an adventure already and on their way to a martial arts hermit that'll teach them how to become badasses.

I said before that I think that it's weird as hell that he never came clean about his age to begin with. I'd sure as hell hate being talked down to like that instead of how you'd be regarded as an idiot based on not knowing common knowledge like how money works, general geography, who's in charge in this specific town, etc.

I'm sure someday someone will make a sociopath isekai about some who has no problem reforming the world in ways they think it'll be improved. Time to wipe out the slums! (All the houses are demolished, the people are given proper housing and jobs and check ups to cure diseases as best they can) New character leaves the town/village they dropped into with golems/robots/shadow spirit guardians that help them with the farming/moving lumber/repairing homes etc when they're not guarding the front gates.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They're probably in the minority but they exist, Slime and Death Mage spring to mind.

Heck you described Death Mage pretty accurately. Since the main character can create practically infinite numbers of undead and golems with a wave of his hand they handle most manual labor in his empire.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 30, 2020

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Slime and Death Mage? Got links?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I love Death Mage a lot and it's super interesting but it's not really a wholesome isekai imo.

But here you go:

https://lightnovelbastion.com/novel/death-mage/

Slime is licensed so you can probably just get it. I've been buying the ebooks on Amazon for my kindle.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Death Mage is one of those terrible edgelord isekais where the half-vampire half-drow necromancer MC is an overpowered killer even as a baby.

The other one is Reincarnated as a Slime and the anime thread for it is here.

7c Nickel posted:

It's an amazing thing where the protagonist thinking "Perhaps I should try to make things somewhat better." automatically rockets you up to the top of the isekai barrel.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 30, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

E: quote is not edit

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

wholesome does not mean good yeah
it just means probably less likely to result in slavery discussion every other page, which was the problem with all the isekai discussion before

plenty of the isekai that I enjoy would not be a good fit for this thread

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
death mage mostly eschews formal slavery in favor of subverting free will. but after their free will is lost everyone is very happy about it! it's pretty hosed up, and not in any of the ways the story jokes about.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

death mage mostly eschews formal slavery in favor of subverting free will. but after their free will is lost everyone is very happy about it! it's pretty hosed up, and not in any of the ways the story jokes about.
I had to look up which one this was, and death mage is pretty fascinating in its thoughtless earnesty.
I stopped reading a bit after this scene, which stuck in my mind:

Our hero is 3 years old, sitting around, and gets attacked by two normal adult reincarnators.
He is notoriously hated and ignored by the gods, so his power is always described as extremely weak. And all those reincarnaters have multiple clearly OP powers.
In fact it he so weak that he has to get up from his chair in order to kill the two attackers.
The scene is written so earnestly that I am absolutely sure that the author feels utterly unable to engage in that kind of heroic effort under any circumstances.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Back to actual good Isekai, New chapter of May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing? is out. Not much action but there's so much buildup to the MC going punchnuts and just wrecking an entire auction house of slaving nobles, I am so hoping it's going to be incredibly glorious.

The best isekai are the ones where slavers get what's coming to them and our MC is an EXPERT at that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Back to actual good Isekai, New chapter of May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing? is out. Not much action but there's so much buildup to the MC going punchnuts and just wrecking an entire auction house of slaving nobles, I am so hoping it's going to be incredibly glorious.

The best isekai are the ones where slavers get what's coming to them and our MC is an EXPERT at that.

I wasn't reading this one yet, so thanks for introducing me to so much wholesome punching!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

I wasn't reading this one yet, so thanks for introducing me to so much wholesome punching!

I think we can all agree that the adventure of the violent princess who beats the everloving poo poo out of really bad people with her bare hands is perfectly wholesome and completely appropriate!

Between this, Sword Dad, and Skeleton Knight we have the perfect trifecta of "wholesome violence against human trash".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

I'm really hoping that she can earn her next alliterative nickname next chapter because I feel blue balled right now.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Cheers for the reminder, I’d forgotten to check if it was updating.

Sold a friend on this by describing it as an otome game but the heroine is the Doom Slayer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like I'm reading that one wrong because my eyes start rolling into my head each time the prince shows up beside Scarlett.

I can't help feeling like they're setting up an extremely lame romance.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There's a boss rush going on in Ride on King The two magic users of the group are facing off against a bug warrior.
I was expecting Kamen Rider shenanigans, but it turns out this was fullmetal alchemist Hardwood Druid

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like I'm reading that one wrong because my eyes start rolling into my head each time the prince shows up beside Scarlett.

He's like if Geordo from Bakarina was played completely straight as the black-hearted prince archetype.

I don't like him as a romantic partner, but I can appreciate how he just really wants to see the MC go Kazuma Kiryu on terrible people.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Uncle Khasim posted:

Cheers for the reminder, I’d forgotten to check if it was updating.

Sold a friend on this by describing it as an otome game but the heroine is the Doom Slayer.

What she lacks in the Doom Slayer's gory dismemberment she makes up in the fact that they both just have zero fucks to give

And yeah, the prince would be a terrible boyfriend but he's got this whole "LET ME SEE YOU DESTROY PEOPLE" vibe that I like. I hope they both get what they want - she gets to sink her fist into slaver face, and he gets to watch.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

I don't like the Prince as a romantic partner, but I love him as the "intellectual" foil for the Punch Princess. He makes a great mission control kind of character if he'd stop trying to force a romance to happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a manipulative creep, but the direction of his manipulation is enabling the mad dog princess to beat the poo poo out of people. so, mixed feelings.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's setting up a Will She or Won't She with the prince...

Will she or won't she punch him?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Look, you don't understand. Nothing could be done. If he starts helping the poor, he's gonna stand out and then he won't be able to live a quiet life unburdened by obligations to society. I just want to quietly continue expanding slime evolution and if a two headed saber bear starts tearing apart my farm then I'll step in and kill that no problem, but if there're kids being washed down a river well they'll have to solve that one on their own. Can't go getting involved in everyone else's life. They might be getting drawn into an adventure already and on their way to a martial arts hermit that'll teach them how to become badasses.

I said before that I think that it's weird as hell that he never came clean about his age to begin with. I'd sure as hell hate being talked down to like that instead of how you'd be regarded as an idiot based on not knowing common knowledge like how money works, general geography, who's in charge in this specific town, etc.

I'm sure someday someone will make a sociopath isekai about some who has no problem reforming the world in ways they think it'll be improved. Time to wipe out the slums! (All the houses are demolished, the people are given proper housing and jobs and check ups to cure diseases as best they can) New character leaves the town/village they dropped into with golems/robots/shadow spirit guardians that help them with the farming/moving lumber/repairing homes etc when they're not guarding the front gates.

If I remember right from the LN he does later work to give the kids jobs in his dry cleaner and also get the kids who can tame some of the slimes so they could do this work and like branch out and use the people of the slums for a labor force while trying to lift them up. At least thats how I remember reading it like years ago.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I remember seeing it somewhere but then firefox crashed and I can't remember the name of it. I think I only got like two chapters in so I'm gonna mangle the events in it too.

There was some isekai thing of a woman being married into a family but she wasn't experienced in raising kids and they hated her immediately and eventually she died without making things right. And then time warps back to like the first week and she gives it another go to do better now that she knows them better.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I remember seeing it somewhere but then firefox crashed and I can't remember the name of it. I think I only got like two chapters in so I'm gonna mangle the events in it too.

There was some isekai thing of a woman being married into a family but she wasn't experienced in raising kids and they hated her immediately and eventually she died without making things right. And then time warps back to like the first week and she gives it another go to do better now that she knows them better.

I think that would be A Stepmother's Märchen, a great mix of serious and comedy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I think that would be A Stepmother's Märchen, a great mix of serious and comedy

Not that important, but it's not really an isekai since she isn't from the modern world or anything. She is a medieval fantasy person who reincarnates as herself only younger.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

Not that important, but it's not really an isekai since she isn't from the modern world or anything. She is a medieval fantasy person who reincarnates as herself only younger.

A Peggy Sue. Which is also a fantastic genre, imo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I feel like in most of those stories it feels like the first go-round of their life was a way more interesting story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nihilarian posted:

I feel like in most of those stories it feels like the first go-round of their life was a way more interesting story

They invariably are unless the story actually explores the kinds of butterfly effect complications this could have.

But in most the person who goes back just effortlessly rolls over all their challenges and sucks all tension and drama out of it because events play out exactly as they did in the original timeline.