Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RandomBlue posted:

God drat it.

o_________o

drat ground sloths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Have we ever done a goon IPD survey in this thread. I have a feeling we skew towards the sid the sloth end of the spectrum.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

every VR nerd here and on reddit apparently looks like o ________________ o

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think the data is biased by all the hammerhead sharks being very concerned about whether any headset will work for them. As someone with a very average IPD I don't have a lot of reason to talk about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tip posted:

I think the data is biased by all the hammerhead sharks being very concerned about whether any headset will work for them. As someone with a very average IPD I don't have a lot of reason to talk about it.

same. Sitting pretty at 63 here

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Makes sense. For a long time I thought that I was around 65 but when I got some glasses for work recently turns out i'm actually 67. I've been using that setting with my cv1 since then and I honestly haven't noticed much difference in clarity.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
65.5 here motherfuckers come at me!!!

*wears all headsets without issues of any kind*

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

My expired prescription didn't have an IPD but 70 looks best to me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ott_ posted:

My expired prescription didn't have an IPD but 70 looks best to me.

Who said hammerhead sharks could post in here

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

57. It's noticeable with the Rift S, but not enough to be a dealbreaker.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is compatibility of games mostly a non issue now? That HP headset seems like it might be a nice middle ground between a rift and an Index. I don't have PCVR yet I just remember there were a lot of exclusivity deals with certain games a few years ago.

Tbh I still don't know how that stuff works. Do you still have to use workarounds to play steam/oculus games on a competing headset? Where will the HP one fall? Steam I'm guessing?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I never noticed a difference regardless of where the slider was on my Index, but I just got a new eye exam and it said 62 so that's where it sits now.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Just measured in the mirror, apparently it's 65. I guess the sweetspot has a pretty big range.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/28/magic-leap-ceo-rony-abovitz-is-stepping-down/

He took a Magic Leap out of his office building... with his golden parachute.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

veni veni veni posted:

Is compatibility of games mostly a non issue now? That HP headset seems like it might be a nice middle ground between a rift and an Index. I don't have PCVR yet I just remember there were a lot of exclusivity deals with certain games a few years ago.

Tbh I still don't know how that stuff works. Do you still have to use workarounds to play steam/oculus games on a competing headset? Where will the HP one fall? Steam I'm guessing?

Everything can use steam, Oculus store is technically exclusive, but there are ways to use those with non-oculus headsets as long as its not for the Quest

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tip posted:

The issue on Index isn't really god rays. I don't know the term for it but instead of rays coming from the bright areas you get big blurry splotches ringing the outer edges of the lens. I find it much worse than god rays, hopefully that's part of the fixes.

Glad to hear they're not just plopping index lenses in.

Glare is the word you're looking for. It's true the Index has the worst glare of all the hmd, however outside loading screens or torture tests the effect of that in normal usage is almost nil and imo it's a small price to pay for the benefit of edge to edge clarity from the dual element lenses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I notice it on the pokerstars loading screen and literally nowhere else.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

RFC2324 posted:

Everything can use steam, Oculus store is technically exclusive, but there are ways to use those with non-oculus headsets as long as its not for the Quest

With the caveat that some games have performance issues when run through Revive. Most notably, Stormland.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Welp, I ordered a Vive Pro headset :shepspends:.

It's pretty much my one guaranteed upgrade option at this point; The Cosmos is out because I hate the headband design (I can never get my PSVR's to feel seated "right"), and a Vive Pro's cheaper anyway. I'd need to try an Index before dropping money on it because of the IPD range (mine is 72.5) and that's not really logistically feasible even if they come out any time soon due to COVID-19. I was hoping I'd be able to get to try one at PAX-AUS or something similar eventually.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Decided on a quest after all since it allows my wife to play whenever and pretty much wherever, and I can link it for PCVR games. Was in stock last time I looked, now out of stock. Good times.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welp, I ordered a Vive Pro headset :shepspends:.

It's pretty much my one guaranteed upgrade option at this point; The Cosmos is out because I hate the headband design (I can never get my PSVR's to feel seated "right"), and a Vive Pro's cheaper anyway. I'd need to try an Index before dropping money on it because of the IPD range (mine is 72.5) and that's not really logistically feasible even if they come out any time soon due to COVID-19. I was hoping I'd be able to get to try one at PAX-AUS or something similar eventually.

congrats on getting the best headset on the market.

specs wise it's average at best these days, but out of the ones that support wireless it has no competition. valve make a wifi index addon already

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

congrats on getting the best headset on the market.

specs wise it's average at best these days, but out of the ones that support wireless it has no competition. valve make a wifi index addon already

Wireless is almost certainly out for me, because I've got an older Ryzen mobo :shepface:. I'd definitely consider doing it otherwise though.

I'm now half-expecting Samsung to roll out their new HMD and reveal it has Lighthouse tracking and a high-range mechanical IPD just to spite me personally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'd lend you mine to test it if i wasn't on the literal other side of the globe :v:

i can't roomscale currently because my vr room turned into laundry drying room the second corona quarantine started because that was also the second *both* laundry driers died :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Would anyone know offhand if a Vive VRCover would fit a Vive Pro? I'd assume so given the form factor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah mine fit fine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wireless is almost certainly out for me, because I've got an older Ryzen mobo :shepface:. I'd definitely consider doing it otherwise though.
The compatibility issues between AMD boards and the vive wireless kit were fixed a while back.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 29, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

I've ran into some issues with the WMR but it seemed to be Windows/Steam related and after reinstalling and loving around with it, I was able to get everything I tried to work. SteamVR is a bit janky occasionally Oculus stuff requires Revive but it works seamlessly usually.

The headset really looks pretty good, I'm a bit disappointed they've dropped the touchpad the extra cameras are great news. Hopefully Samsung also comes up with something new soon. Especially if they get discounted like Odyssey :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

65 here, measured with my handy dandy amazon IPD measuring device (RIP my pre-covid plans to play beatsaber with my friends) and confirmed by my glasses prescription

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Can someone explain what the resolution of that new HP headset means? Does it mean the lenses themselves are bigger or just that the screen behind the lens (or however it works) is a higher resolution? One of the reasons I returned my Rift S for an Index is I was told the lenses were quite literally bigger so there would be less black space to the sides and it would be a lot more immersive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The screen behind the lenses is a higher resolution, meaning the pixels and the gaps between them are smaller and will be harder to pick out individually, leading to less screendoor effect and jaggies.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks man. I'm still really excited about the Index controllers and real lighthouses and other stuff but the £900 is still A Lot. I'm seven weeks into my Index order and still "8+ weeks to go" (thanks Valve), not much to do but second-guess it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pierson posted:

Can someone explain what the resolution of that new HP headset means? Does it mean the lenses themselves are bigger or just that the screen behind the lens (or however it works) is a higher resolution? One of the reasons I returned my Rift S for an Index is I was told the lenses were quite literally bigger so there would be less black space to the sides and it would be a lot more immersive.

it's higher resolution, meaning there'll be less jaggies and flashing pixels in small/distant details.
what you're thinking of is fov - meaning less of a binocular effect and more "screen" to be seen around your eyes.

the index is a straight upgrade over the rift s - price included.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
the new hp will have a higher resolution than the index, but it's field of view is significantly smaller (the rift s has a fov of 110, the hp g2 will be 114, the index is 130).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

the new hp will have a higher resolution than the index, but it's field of view is significantly smaller (the rift s has a fov of 110, the hp g2 will be 114, the index is 130).

This actually also contribute to the visual clarity, as the important measure for that is not FOV or resolution, but resolution per degree. If you had two devices with 4k displays each, the one with 114 fov will look better than the ones with 130 fov. Of course it will be also less immersive.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

fov is funny, i havent really tested an index (lol brazil) but on my rift s i just forget about fov when i'm using it. the other day i was playing derail valley and since that's very slow paced i thought "hmm how does this fov thing feel anyway" and noticed it for the first time. can't recommend, i definitely regret it.

i do want to try a higher fov headset eventually but given the way things are going that's going to be a very long shot

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can get used to the low fov, but I can definitely say for all its faults (mostly causing me to feel like my eyeballs were going to explode, hey now that I'm thinking about it I have glasses now maybe it was just that lol), the wide fov of the pimax did kick an incredible amount of rear end, and once higher fov headsets are standard we're gonna laugh at how lovely narrow fov is

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been running the v2004 release of Windows 10 for a while via this insider stuff. It pretty much made Lighthouse base station power management unreliable. I've been whining about it on the Steam support forum for three months, with some other guy confirming it. As expected, no one from Valve reacted. Now as the new Windows 10 release is official, said thread is suddenly gaining more responses from other people reporting the same. loving dipshits at Valve. This was an avoidable issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been running the v2004 release of Windows 10 for a while via this insider stuff. It pretty much made Lighthouse base station power management unreliable. I've been whining about it on the Steam support forum for three months, with some other guy confirming it. As expected, no one from Valve reacted. Now as the new Windows 10 release is official, said thread is suddenly gaining more responses from other people reporting the same. loving dipshits at Valve. This was an avoidable issue.

It's ironic, as precisely the whole point of the Insider previews are less for consumers for fool around and more for companies, devs and hardware manufacturers to test their products against the new OS, and update whatever it's needed.