Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Iretep posted:

He doesent realise it but he actually will have the hardest time with Bakarina since in her head Geord is the biggest death flag around her. She is so concerned about it that she carries a snake in her pocket just to avoid that bad ending.

Crossposting an old joke from the Wholesome Isekai thread:

Nipponophile posted:

I can't wait for the real ending of this series:

Several decades in the future, Katarina lies on her deathbed, surrounded by loving family and friends... Her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren all gather round, teary-eyed...

As her loving husband kneels by her bedside, overcome with emotion...

She thinks, "This is it! Here comes the inevitable betrayal!" as she readies the toy snake beneath her bedsheets...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I managed to get over the limited animation in this show, but the snout-faces, complete with sidemouths, get me every time.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zwiebel posted:

It's funny that Mary was willing to let go of her fiance in the good (for Maria) Fortune Lover ending, but in this alternate version she's become rather possessive, target focused and unrelenting in her romantic pursuits.
Bakarina is a lot more charming than Alan, apparently.

She wants to lock Alan in so it's harder for him to compete with her for Catarina's affections. It's a bit more explicit in the novels.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Zwiebel posted:

It's funny that Mary was willing to let go of her fiance in the good (for Maria) Fortune Lover ending, but in this alternate version she's become rather possessive, target focused and unrelenting in her romantic pursuits.
Bakarina is a lot more charming than Alan, apparently.

So I might be wrong here but I always got the impression that she was gay so Maria "breaking up" her marriage was something mutually beneficial for her and Alan, and it kind of spins into her being the most doggedly into our favorite dense harem protagonist.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

sincx posted:

I just noticed in one of the tankoubon extra panels, our-universe Mary has a neko-Bakarina (or kitsune-Bakarina?) charm on her book bag :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

I think it might just be her bow that she wore as a kid, still, cute as all hell.

EDIT: Actually she still wears the blue bow, but it's now to one side rather than on the back of her head.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, she used to wear it "properly" on the back of her head. Now she wears it behind her left ear:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Finished volume 2 of the LN. I can definitely see how they'd want that to be the stopping point for the season, but I'm a bit concerned as to how this can go on for another 9+ volumes without getting stale in some way.

Also wow, the manga isn't even close to where the officially translated LNs are. As far as I can tell it only reaches the beginning of volume 3, and volume 6 comes out next month.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It mostly goes into slice of life comedy after book 2.

The author fully intended to end things after that book, but then the popularity exploded.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

I mean, it's already mostly slice of life comedy, so that doesn't sound like much of a shift.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I recently just finished volume 3 and it started a bit slow imo, but by the end I realized truly why Bakarina is referred to as a black hole.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Unit24 posted:

I mean, it's already mostly slice of life comedy, so that doesn't sound like much of a shift.

I mean more it doesn't really have any subplots again until volume 6.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah a big complaint i hear about the LN is after the anime ends theres a pretty big time where the writer seems to be unsure what to do with the story and just makes filler. Though apparently it picks up later again when the writer comes up with a plot.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I understand not wanting to abandon a moneypot, but sometimes a story is as long as it is for a reason! There's beauty in a proper ending.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Honestly I'm cool with it continuing, since I feel like there's plenty of stuff that could be done with the cast after vol. 2. I'm just worried it'll get stale if the characters and their group dynamic stay exactly the same forever.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I always thought it was pretty standard for harems to not really have much of a plot and just continue for as long as the premise allowed it to. Ranma had 143 episodes according to google.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I understand not wanting to abandon a moneypot, but sometimes a story is as long as it is for a reason! There's beauty in a proper ending.

It depends on how rabid your fanbase is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

I always thought it was pretty standard for harems to not really have much of a plot and just continue for as long as the premise allowed it to. Ranma had 143 episodes according to google.
Sort of a digression more than a reply to you, but Ranma is like 170 episodes, plus OVA's, plus a couple of movies and TV specials. I think the 143 episodes you mention is because the first season/first series are counted apart

The one that has this OP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q

That's the first series (aired from mid-April to mid-September '89), which also seems to have an art style that's a little closer to Takahashi's own, and also covers a lot of what the manga had released at that point (like the manga had like 7 Volumes out by then and the first series covered pretty much everything from Volumes 1 through 4 with no filler whatsoever.

The 2nd OP (which I'm remote-linking because of the first couple of :nws: seconds) is the 2nd series/2nd season which has the subtitle "Fierce Battle Story Arc" basically started airing like 2 months after the first series was done. It has the more recognizable art-style in all the OP's and, while it kept Kawai on the music composition and a couple of the OG producers, I think most of the main staff was replaced.

Also, like Sailor Moon, it had a ton of filler and it presented a couple of things differently. Funny thing, though. While it has a lot of filler, a ton of it worked really well on its favor. Strangest thing to get lost in the shuffle but then re-added back to the series, though?

This scrawny boi right here. He's one of the most recurring side characters who show up in the manga fairly early on. Like probably at the start of the material covered by the 2nd series/2nd season. However, in the anime he doesn't show up until like the midway point. Most of his early appearances he was either replaced by one-shot characters or...

This goofball of a ninja right here. It's weird because they keep most of his introduction episode basically the same, too.

While nowhere near as attached to it as Magic Knight Rayearth, Sailor Moon or Slam Dunk (or slightly later on, Yu Yu Hakusho), Ranma was one of the first series that I followed devotedly and was instrumental in helping me follow my goofy but extremely effective practice regimen of playing guitar along with a series.

Okay, dumb Ranma half-digression, half-effort-post done. Long live Bakarina, the real harem queen.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ranma 1/2 is one of the reasons I don't like Japanese Rom Coms anymore. Because I followed it and loved it and wished the story and characters would develop beyond the status quo but they never did.
Even in the ending, the characters only move a half-step forward (because one step forward and a half step back) and it's just frustrating.

Bakarina isn't though. Because the author establishes a 'status quo' and then has Bakarina both intentionally and (more importantly) unintentionally subvert it. Also all of the machinations around Bakarina herself vis a vis her 'harem' aren't overblown for comedies sake. They're little moments or character interplay. Which allows Bakarina her denseness without it turning over into willful (and harmful) ignorance.

Bakarina is good stuff.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tbh I bounced off hard of the LNs shortly after Vol 2, I feel like Bakarina flanderizes REALLY HARD afterwards and it felt like I was reading the same joke of "character tries to talk to her about whatever is happening, but HA she was actually eating".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, 3 and parts of 4 certainly have that problem. They do get better.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This was a good episode, they even worked in Anne's storyline, which I appreciated. I almost missed the post credits stinger since I was typing up this post!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I was a little disappointed that the Anne flashback had young Catarina as the one preventing her arranged marriage. I liked it more with her about to go to the magic school and wanting to make sure Anne stayed with her, it feels like it has more meaning if they've had several years together when it happens.

All the stuff Sophia wanted to be reborn as was pretty great but nowhere near as on point as Mary's unhesitating, "Someone of higher status than Prince Geord."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Poor Geordo, he tries so hard.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Poor Geordo, he tries so hard.

Here lies Geordo, he never scored.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shyrka posted:

All the stuff Sophia wanted to be reborn as was pretty great but nowhere near as on point as Mary's unhesitating, "Someone of higher status than Prince Geord."

Also Mary just being unabashedly gay about what she'd do with her girlfriend. :3:

One day Catarina will realise what everyone wanted to do with their ideal partner is what they're trying to do with her. No she won't

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like how Catarina assumed it was a boy not for heteronormative reasons, but because her mind is in perma-metagame mode.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Bakarina hiring her harem as workforce is #lifegoals, tbh

Although that brings the usual isekai slavery problem to hamefura since they're all slaves of love

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like how Catarina assumed it was a boy not for heteronormative reasons, but because her mind is in perma-metagame mode.

This is also why she never notices just how blatantly Geordo wants to dooom route her. There was no sex in the game so she doesn't even acknowledge it's a possibility here.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Shyrka posted:

I was a little disappointed that the Anne flashback had young Catarina as the one preventing her arranged marriage. I liked it more with her about to go to the magic school and wanting to make sure Anne stayed with her, it feels like it has more meaning if they've had several years together when it happens.

The magic school bit occurs in the timeline where Catarina is still an awful selfish person, and her awful selfishness just so happened to work out in Anne's favour. It's like the only time someone ever thinks of the old Catarina favourably, so I'm kinda glad they didn't use it here and can save it for an adaptation of the other timeline.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mary continues to be the best. I'm sure she only gave Katarina a glimpse at all the plans she has to elope with her. And she was the most devastated at the end there. She was clearly expecting something very different out of that meeting.

Also Sophia being a yaoi fangirl too is great.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Also Sophia being a yaoi fangirl too is great.

I want to see what the boys' sleepover was like.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's a small moment, but I like how Keith and Motherina seem to be getting along pretty well, considering how bad their relationship was in Fortune Lover. I also find it funny that Motherina is against the engagement not because she's against Geordo, but because she's afraid Katarina would do something really embarrassing in the royal court one day.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm impressed by how Mary manages to go straight for the jugular every single time. Too bad her knife is always too dull for its task.

I also have to give props to Geordo for rolling with the punches like he did up until he found out that all the others gave Katarina the exact same gift. At least he looked like he wanted to die later than Mary and Keith.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, Mary is not messing around. Which you'd think might give her an advantage, but no.

Secret society S.H.E.A.R.S. has its first meeting

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 31, 2020

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

I love how utterly devastated Mary looks especially.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Maria and Sophia are just happy to be here.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Maria and Sophia are just happy to be here.

I genuinely think Maria is mostly on Katarina's wavelength. That's a girl who actually thinks an afternoon of harvesting vegetables with her crush is an ideal way to spend the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A very cute episode, as usual. I'm looking forward to the next one, the basic model bitches form a union I guess? Sounds juicy.