Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Pththya-lyi posted:

Someone made a She-Ra dollmaker. I'm still figuring it out, but I want to see your princessonas!

https://meiker.io/play/11592/online.html

I don't have a princessona but I did get shockingly close to an OC I had when I was like twelve. Might bring her back in a less OP form for D&D or something, it was fun remembering her thanks She-Ra!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Flesnolk posted:

That's how real life's villains are too.

Putting aside that most real life villains have some kind of reason for their behavior, however simple it might be, She-Ra is a fictional story and not real life.

amigolupus posted:

I dunno, I liked it. Sometimes an abusive narcissist parent is because they're a terrible person, not because they had some kind of dark past. And even if she did felt some regret about Micah, it'll never get followed up because Micah himself made the decision to not have Shadow Weaver in his life anymore. Just because your abuser says they're sorry doesn't make you obligated to welcome them back or anything, and I like that they included that message in She-Ra.

See, I'm not saying she had to be redeemed; just that I thought it was interesting that they'd at least hint that she felt some regret but I thought it was disappointing that there was never any real exploration of her as a character beyond that hint of regret.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

My pitch is "you've already admitted you're running out of things to watch and what the gently caress else are you gonna do?" It's not like 20 minutes to try one episode is a major time commitment.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 28, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They lay out what Shadow Weaver's deal is. She's a narcissist. She's got a small touch of humanity to her (unlike Horde Prime, who is narcissism incarnate), but she's just not wired right to be a decent, compassionate person, and the nature of her disorder makes it impossible for her to be wholly redeemed because that would require her to recognise that she might need help or treatment. Turning her inevitable death into a big heroic sacrifice was the best she could do as the person she was.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 28, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Disappointed how not hosed up her face was.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

Its fun & gay but it is also a kid's show about magic princesses. Its not Das Boot

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

My take on the show is it's fun, it's solid, it's complete and it very obviously had a planned trajectory the whole way through so all the twists and turns land fairly well and feel natural. It's not perfect but it's kind of a textboook example of how to do a serial show and not gently caress it up. On that alone it's a very good if not super ambitious show, then you factor in all the representation stuff which is ambitious and novel for the kind of show it is (or really tv in general) and makes things a bit harder to predict cause a lot of stuff that in most shows you'd go 'well they'd never do that' then they go and do that.

As long as you don't have hangups about cartoons in general, I absolutely recommend it. And I imagine you wouldn't even ask if you did.

oh but seriously I posted:

Disappointed how not hosed up her face was.

I mean, narcissist, so it fits she made a big deal out of not that bad.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 28, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CuwiKhons posted:

The single gayest cartoon you've ever seen.

Also a lot of children dealing with the consequences of abusive parental figures, plus cults, technomagic, the occasional song, and a marxist horse.

If you pitched this to me five seasons back I would've immediately been onboard so imagine my delight in watching it unfold without warning for two years :allears:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Skippy McPants posted:

It's genuinely funny, has a lot of heart, however I'd avoid the show if you dislike the main character being less than 100% sober.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Darth Walrus posted:

They lay out what Shadow Weaver's deal is. She's a narcissist. She's got a small touch of humanity to her (unlike Horde Prime, who is narcissism incarnate), but she's just not wired right to be a decent, compassionate person, and the nature of her disorder makes it impossible for her to be wholly redeemed because that would require her to recognise that she might need help or treatment. Turning her inevitable death into a big heroic sacrifice was the best she could do as the person she was.

It also lets her live rent-free in Adora and Catra's heads forever so that was also probably a motive there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's genuinely funny, has a lot of heart, however I'd avoid the show if you dislike the main character being less than 100% sober.

Catra never met Drunk Adora because it would have solved the plot instantly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't remember Drunk Adora at all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's not perfect but it's kind of a textboook example of how to do a serial show and not gently caress it up.

This works for me. I love serialized stuff with well-built characters, but I can't stand good shows that bungle their ending, which it seems like this one didn't do. Thanks everyone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I don't remember Drunk Adora at all.

This is a good time to go back and refresh your memory because it was pretty hilarious.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm suddenly disappointed in the fact that Catra is the one who actually got Adora drunk that second time and yet she never interacted with Drunkdora.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oh but seriously I posted:

Its fun & gay but it is also a kid's show about magic princesses. Its not Das Boot

"Kids show" as a category has expanded so widely since the 2000s it's almost a disservice to use it to compare things like Spongebob and Avatar in the same space.

Since Avatar TLA proved you could make a serialized story heavy cartoon show on Nick good enough that both kids, young adults, and parents could all enjoy it there's been a push for more and better. Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Adventure Time etc. all have a lot going on to the point where grown adults are writing 5000 word treatise about single episodes and comparing it to philosophy or classic literature and they're not exactly wrong about it.

The recent Voltron series is another example. Season 1 was all robots fighting big monsters and one off episode adventures then it changed rapidly to epic spanning space opera with drama and tragedy.

Add to that, a lot of the classic "Hayes code" equivalents of what childrens' cartoons are banned from showing have been rolled back to where now a normalized depiction of a happy gay couple is fine and reasonable and trans representation is even allowed. I think Double Trouble was always referred to as "they/them" in the entire show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 28, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If you like "kid's shows" like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, or She-Ra, don't forget to check out Hilda at some point too

It's what got me used to characters having that weird shading in the middle of their faces over the bridge of the nose

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just realized a better match-up than Heavy metal would be Kill Six Billion Demons.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'm suddenly disappointed in the fact that Catra is the one who actually got Adora drunk that second time and yet she never interacted with Drunkdora.

Same. But it would have solved everything right there as Drunkdora has no filters.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

If you like "kid's shows" like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, or She-Ra, don't forget to check out Hilda at some point too

It's what got me used to characters having that weird shading in the middle of their faces over the bridge of the nose

Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts was great, too.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I take your point but it really isn't very much like Das Boot, tho. It is quite different.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

pentyne posted:

Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Adventure Time etc. all have a lot going on to the point where grown adults are writing 5000 word treatise about single episodes and comparing it to philosophy or classic literature and they're not exactly wrong about it.

Surely if SA has taught you anything, it's that adults writing 5000 word treatises on a topic on the internet doesn't mean that the topic has any inherent value or merit.

I do get your point though, the US industry has moved forward a lot. Although I think it's important to also note that even with these improvements in storytelling, a lot of the writing in these shows is identifiably done with children in mind. For example, all of these shows have some episodes with very straightforward "character X learns to tell their friends when they are having problems rather than deal with the problems alone" plots. A huge chunk of Steven Universe is episodes teaching basic emotional literacy to children. That series is a classic, but I think even with the depth of narrative in these stories, it's this kind of writing that makes it a 'kids show'.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Season 2 coming very soon!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Soonmot posted:

And The Owl House!

Also people are really mad about entrapdak for some reason.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 29, 2020

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

What part of Catradora was a secret? Also Noelle drew art of Entrapta and Hordak getting married but alright, sure. People who get mad about ships are so weird.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Red Bones posted:

I do get your point though, the US industry has moved forward a lot. Although I think it's important to also note that even with these improvements in storytelling, a lot of the writing in these shows is identifiably done with children in mind. For example, all of these shows have some episodes with very straightforward "character X learns to tell their friends when they are having problems rather than deal with the problems alone" plots.

I haven't checked or anything, but I'm pretty sure you'd find those kinds of episodes or plots in a lot of shows ostensibly caterring to adults too. The writing in them is probably less on the nose, but a lot of sitcoms have episodes about someone learning to open up and share rather than bottle up or admit they're having trouble dealing with something alone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

What part of Catradora was a secret? Also Noelle drew art of Entrapta and Hordak getting married but alright, sure. People who get mad about ships are so weird.

Again I will say that I read Entrapta as asexual. She's probably aromatic as well but I'm not as strongly for that as I am for her being ace. I don't mind gay or poly ships because representation is important, but gently caress stealing my representation for a het ship. Entrapta liked hordak as a lab partner and her concern for him was platonic and helped her grow past seeing people only good for providing her tech. She's very much that meme of "yeah sex is fine, but have you ever put on jammies right out of the dryer?"

The only legit Entrapta ship is my Avatar.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm invested in Entrapdak because she's coded autistic and we deserve a chance at romance too :colbert:

E: But the ace read is valid and I'm cool with it too.

E2: VV :hfive: VV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 29, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am also cool with your read on it, because you're right.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MonsieurChoc posted:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Same. But it would have solved everything right there as Drunkdora has no filters.

these are really weird + wrong takes wrt intoxicated ppl btw

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Again I will say that I read Entrapta as asexual. She's probably aromatic as well but I'm not as strongly for that as I am for her being ace. I don't mind gay or poly ships because representation is important, but gently caress stealing my representation for a het ship. Entrapta liked hordak as a lab partner and her concern for him was platonic and helped her grow past seeing people only good for providing her tech. She's very much that meme of "yeah sex is fine, but have you ever put on jammies right out of the dryer?"

The only legit Entrapta ship is my Avatar.

Yeah people who get mad about ships are funny.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I haven't babysat for a few years so I'm pretty tapped out of Youth Culture, but do kids even watch cartoons anymore? Aren't they all addicted to Youtube and Twitch?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I haven't babysat for a few years so I'm pretty tapped out of Youth Culture, but do kids even watch cartoons anymore? Aren't they all addicted to Youtube and Twitch?

Hell yeah, and they’re much more nuanced than we ever had as kids.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think my baby cousin was watching Voltron at least a couple years back, and a friend's little girl likes She-Ra and We Bare Bears. The youths love the 'toons

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Hell yeah, and they’re much more nuanced than we ever had as kids.

Wait, the CARTOONS are more nuanced now, or the KIDS are!? Honestly, I can believe it either way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vietnamwees posted:

Wait, the CARTOONS are more nuanced now, or the KIDS are!? Honestly, I can believe it either way.

Both, honestly. Teachers regularly anecdote that kids these days are generally much nicer and more accepting than ever before.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I felt Horde Prime was a weak villain overall. All the other bad guys had nuance and reasons for being lovely people, which made it more entertaining when they did bad things for bad reasons. HP is just a straightforward bad guy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SHVPS4DETH posted:

these are really weird + wrong takes wrt intoxicated ppl btw

I was more referring to jokes like these:

https://twitter.com/rosanaish/status/1265306718788964352

SardonicTyrant posted:

I felt Horde Prime was a weak villain overall. All the other bad guys had nuance and reasons for being lovely people, which made it more entertaining when they did bad things for bad reasons. HP is just a straightforward bad guy.

We don't see how he became this way, but see him after centuries of transforming himself into a one-person hivemind. It's like Sauron or Yawgmoth: there might have been something there a long time, but now all you see is the horror they have become.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

SardonicTyrant posted:

Horde Prime doesn't matter. He's there because the show needed a final boss fight. The show isn't about fighting bad guys, it's about the relationships between the characters.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think he should've been a First One, like one of the OGs of their people. The non-Mara faction ones were already bad guys and their methods were pretty similar. Plus it'd be pretty cool for the First to be defeated by the Last.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's like people said earlier in the thread: villains don't always have to have complicated, sympathetic motivations or backstories to be quality villains. All we really need to know about Horde Prime is that he's ruthless and arrogant and seemingly unstoppable - save for that one weakness the heroes can exploit! Learning about how he was a sad little boy who always got picked last for kickball would only detract from that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Horde Prime is straightforward because he chose to reject complexity. His backstory is irrelevant and long-discarded because it involves things happening to him, rather than him happening to other people, and he wants to always be something that happens to other people. He took the simple path that the show has dangled in front of much of the rest of the cast, and it hollowed him out into a yawning, eternally hungry void. Any story about love and empathy will eventually need to talk about Objectivists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's like people said earlier in the thread: villains don't always have to have complicated, sympathetic motivations or backstories to be quality villains. All we really need to know about Horde Prime is that he's ruthless and arrogant and seemingly unstoppable - save for that one weakness the heroes can exploit! Learning about how he was a sad little boy who always got picked last for kickball would only detract from that.

Plus, in a show that's about relationships and how ultimately there are very few pure "bad guys" where we often get to see things from their point of view, the most powerful and most alien villain to come up with is simply "No, he's bad. Real real bad. Like, no humanity left bad. Would probably kick a puppy if he could."

He's pretty much the perfect antithesis to what the show espouses which is why I liked him! idk you may not though!!