Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The prompt is Horse

(effort post tomorrow, sorry)

Sign up by the 21st, submissions by 11:59 BST on the 28th. (actually about 08:00 on the 29th when I'll have woken up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Sign me up, I'll draw a horse.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm in. I can draw a horse for sure.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
For once I have a concrete idea of what to do, so I'm in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I’ll throw in one an equine theme.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hi Artdomers! Angrymog, etuni, al azad and readingatwork aside, is anyone waiting on a winners gangtag?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 19, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I think you left a url tag in when you submitted it though (or maybe it was from the Joe toxx thread?). I don't suppose I could get that bit removed when you get a chance?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

readingatwork posted:

Thanks! I think you left a url tag in when you submitted it though (or maybe it was from the Joe toxx thread?). I don't suppose I could get that bit removed when you get a chance?

Or just treasure your /url

Now, let's talk Horses

This is a horse. (This particular horse is a cob called Tinker)

Humans have been drawing horses pretty much ever since they first slapped some mud and charcoal on a cave wall.

Horses have been loyal companions in both peace

and war,

symbols of freedom

and power.

They've even been cute pastel coloured cartoon characters to teach children the value of friendship.

Not bad for an animal that can spook at its own shadow.

The classic painting, 'Horse sees a plastic bag that wasn't there yesterday.'

So go and draw and make your horses. You have 96 hours, and 40 minutes left.

Just make sure it's recognisable as a horse, and not whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say, gently caress horse anatomy. I will never not screw up the legs.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just under 24 hours to go. I'm hoping to see at least one or two horses, wonky legs and all

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
poo poo, I totally thought I had Friday night to work on this! I’ll see what I can get done tonight.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s horse time! I’m trying to teach myself woodcut printing and this is my first finished product. It’s messy and the lines are rear end, but lino carving is without a doubt the most calming thing I’ve ever experienced. Put on your magnifying glasses, turn on some Jim Croce and it’s like happy little trees, but sharp knives.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s horse time! I’m trying to teach myself woodcut printing and this is my first finished product. It’s messy and the lines are rear end, but lino carving is without a doubt the most calming thing I’ve ever experienced. Put on your magnifying glasses, turn on some Jim Croce and it’s like happy little trees, but sharp knives.

That looks like a huge amount of fun.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

That looks like a huge amount of fun.

It is, and it was surprisingly inexpensive to get into. The biggest problem is transferring the image onto the lino block. There are multiple ways to do it and the way I tried didn't really work, so I had to free hand about half, which is rough when the image is reversed.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Krispy Wafer posted:

It is, and it was surprisingly inexpensive to get into. The biggest problem is transferring the image onto the lino block. There are multiple ways to do it and the way I tried didn't really work, so I had to free hand about half, which is rough when the image is reversed.

When we did it at art club some people used carbon paper. For my Christmas card I printed my design, then used a graphite pencil on the back to emulate carbon paper

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Krispy Wafer posted:

Angrymog posted:

When we did it at art club some people used carbon paper. For my Christmas card I printed my design, then used a graphite pencil on the back to emulate carbon paper

That's what I usually do, although as of late I've just been doing my drawings straight onto lino. I also like the inkjet on tracing paper method, but that requires having your base drawing made digital.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Used to be you could xerox the image and then use mineral spirits? to transfer the ink to your block. That worked really well and was wonderfully cheap.

Anyway got my horsey done.

May go back and add some more shading on the body, but it's a complete idea so I'm calling it done for now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I tried using a laser printer and acetone. It gave the faintest of impressions, which was enough for the basics, but not fine detail.

I'm going to try the method where you stick the laser printer image on the lino with wood glue and then slowly rub off the paper until all that's left is the image on the carving surface.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Stick the picture on the lino and then poke the lines through with a pin

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Horse

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's one more entry to come (that I saw before midnight, but I think the artist fell asleep rather than posting), and I'll judge on Saturday. I love everything I've seen so far :)

Flavius looks like you're using the same general sort of paper I did my fairy hare on?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Possibly. It looks like yours might be thicker and coarser. Mine is a nearly transparent rice paper.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Flavius Aetass posted:

Possibly. It looks like yours might be thicker and coarser. Mine is a nearly transparent rice paper.

It's wierd how you can just keep soaking it and it doesn't come apart.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I did not fall asleep! It just literally took me all night to get the drat hatching done.

My hand hurts...

Oct 28, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Panel-204496/205533723 this stuff is great. It's a little tougher to carve but more durable. Cheaper too, I think.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

138 posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Panel-204496/205533723 this stuff is great. It's a little tougher to carve but more durable. Cheaper too, I think.

Neat idea. I was having trouble using wood, but lino seems too soft. I'll see if I can find one of those PVC panels.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Krispy Wafer posted:

Neat idea. I was having trouble using wood, but lino seems too soft. I'll see if I can find one of those PVC panels.

For wood your tools have to be really sharp and even then you can will be victim to the whims of the wood. But if you do want to do wood, use something like basswood or high quality birch plywood.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

For wood your tools have to be really sharp and even then you can will be victim to the whims of the wood. But if you do want to do wood, use something like basswood or high quality birch plywood.

I was using a highish quality birch, but I'm still trying to figure out my knife technique and how to best integrate that with the v-gouge tools. I need sharper blades. That's partly why my lines were such rear end.

Oct 28, 2003

Having good tools is key if you're going to do wood carving. If you want to do block printing, you can do most everything with https://www.amazon.com/PFEIL-Swiss-Made-No-15-V-Parting/dp/B0032YYWLE . I have one that I've used for years. A bigger scoop will save you time and a smaller v gouge will help with detail, but you can do detail fine with the one I linked if you use a light touch.

edit: it's key because blunt tools are most likely to hurt you and are harder to use.

138 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 30, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Firstly, thank you all for your horses, they're all magnificent beasts.

Krispy Wafer

I really like the clean lines and general control in this, both of your lines and the depection of a well-trained high-stepping horse. The messiness and stray ink pickup give it an organic look.

there wolf

I absolutely love the concept of this (though I admit that before I zoomed in, I thought it was dragging the symbol for semi-opaque paint :) ) I admit, I thought that there was something wrong with the conformation and the rear legs with the foreground one looking smaller than the background one, however having checked for 'heavy horse pulling load' reference pics, that is exactly what it looks like, though in this case I think adjustments would have made a better composition.

Falvius Aetass

Love the sense of movement that the loose paint and inkwork gives, though the tail could maybe have done with fewer outlines as it looks a bit solid. Looks like it was still wet when you photographed it? I know you're not using quite the same paper I did the hare on, but looks like you encountered the same issue with paint spreading rather enthusiastically than I did.

readingatwork

Absolutely love the detail on this, and the way you've managed to make the horse look friendly despite being a skeleton (also skeleton looks accruate, so congrats on attempting hard mode). I feel that the (ghost?) child and his skeleton-horse pal are about to go on some amazing adventures. You've got a good use of line weight to keep the horse and child in the foreground, though the tree blends into the horse a bit; iirc you said you'd intended to colour too but ran out of time? That's something that colour could have cleared up.

This is not easy, they're all great horses and well executed. In the end though, whilst it's not the most technically proficient, there wolf's hard working belgium? draft horse takes the prize. I love what you did with using your cloth as an active part of the work; a horse so strong she can rip reality apart.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was a fun theme topic. I enjoyed trying something different and I hope we never have another horse prompt.

138 posted:

Having good tools is key if you're going to do wood carving. If you want to do block printing, you can do most everything with https://www.amazon.com/PFEIL-Swiss-Made-No-15-V-Parting/dp/B0032YYWLE . I have one that I've used for years. A bigger scoop will save you time and a smaller v gouge will help with detail, but you can do detail fine with the one I linked if you use a light touch.

edit: it's key because blunt tools are most likely to hurt you and are harder to use.

I’ve got some good gouge tools, but I’m not sure if I’m using the right straight edge knife to score the surface. Any suggestions there or does it really matter as long as it’s sharp?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Wow! Thank you, Angry Mob. That' was really unexpected. It was a Belgium Draft; it's my favorite kind of horse because they're huge but so muscled it gives them fat pony proportions.

So it's my turn to pick a theme? Since the last one was horses, I'll go with the other thing I was obsessed with at 8 years old, Greek Mythology.

Prompt: Nyx-primordial goddess and personification of the night.

La Nuit by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

from Lore Olympus

Nyx, third moon of Pluto

According to Hesiod, Nyx was born of Chaos and mother to a large number of other personification deities, including Hypnos (Sleep) and the Oneiroi (Dreams), Moros (Destiny), Keres (Destruction), and Thanatos (Death). So basically these guys-

Also the Moriai, or The Fates

Beyond that she only gets brief mentions. In the Iliad Homer says that Zeus is afraid of her, and some poetry fragments describe her home in Tartarus and associate her with oracles and witchcraft.

Interpret that how you like, the only thing I ask is people steer away from the typical neoclassical interpretations of Greek goddesshood. Nyx is the night, she gave birth to death, and she scares the gently caress out of the guy who throws lightening bolts. Run with that.

Please enter by June 6th and the due date is June 13th

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ok, I'm in.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This sounds like a good time

Oct 28, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was a fun theme topic. I enjoyed trying something different and I hope we never have another horse prompt.

I’ve got some good gouge tools, but I’m not sure if I’m using the right straight edge knife to score the surface. Any suggestions there or does it really matter as long as it’s sharp?

I've never scored a block, how are you holding your gouge? My printmaking teacher taught me to hold it in your non-dominant hand and guide it with your dominant hand with the blade pointing toward you. Sounds crazy, but I've never injured myself.
edit: this is backwards, been a while since I've carved a block. the idea is, you're guiding it with your dominant hand and stabilizing the blade with your non-dominant hand. And also not stabbing yourself in the chest.

138 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 31, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually will use my non-dominant hand depending on the angle. I try to score the lines at a 45 degree angle away from the line and then gouge up to the line. When I do it well it makes a great crisp edge. I just don’t do it well that often.

But it’s neat to hear that’s a technique. I noticed I could sometimes get a better line with my left hand which was confusing me.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Gonna try for this one as I loved Greek mythology when I was a kid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm in on the greco-roman theme.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

still half an hour from midnight, I'll join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Are we required to interpret Nyx? Or any greek mythos will be accepted?