Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TheAardvark posted:

Can anyone think of any decent modern written characters/settings with a lot of short stories?

I was thinking of Jeeves and Wooster, Conan the Barbarian. Sherlock Holmes and Poirot, too.

Murderbot is kinda close, as a series of novellas.

I imagine the whole idea has gone by the wayside for economic reasons, but it's pretty fun reading through the Sherlock short story collections for example.

GRRM's Tuf Voyaging.

Larry Niven's Draco Tavern and the collected Thieves' World books are about a setting but have recurring characters.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its lesser saramago honestly.

Still real good but hes done comedic analysis of beauracracy dealing with the metaphysical better

It rules actually because it's a book about death by a 90 year old man that takes death seriously but isn't glum about it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Can anyone think of any decent modern written characters/settings with a lot of short stories?

I was thinking of Jeeves and Wooster, Conan the Barbarian. Sherlock Holmes and Poirot, too.

Murderbot is kinda close, as a series of novellas.

I imagine the whole idea has gone by the wayside for economic reasons, but it's pretty fun reading through the Sherlock short story collections for example.

It's not exactly the height of literary fiction, but the Warhammer 40k (and fantasy) settings do a TON of short story collections and release at least one short story a week. Also, all the major books usually have 1-2 short stories connected to them. It can be real hit or miss being sci-fi pulp though. John French's short story collection Divination is probably the best and honestly could probably be read with little or no 40k knowledge and enjoyed. You'd miss a lot of stuff, but the characters are hella interesting. It's from his Horusian War series which follows an Inquisitor and his retinue and the short story collection has a story for each of the members of his retinue. They are all completely different from one another.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, looks I have a new literary enemy: whoever is responsible for putting captioned illustrations of major events and plot twists several pages before they happen in the text.

I get that way back when the positioning of illustrated pages had technical considerations but still: gently caress.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Doing it with [social] class, mostly

Anyway it's free and neat and y'all should swipe your talons at it

are you for real with this dude

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone here read Black Oxen by Elizabeth Knox? I just finished it minutes ago and I'm still turning the ending over in my head, over and over. I don't have the tools necessary to dissect and understand this book, and to my eternal frustration it seems like no one on the internet has read it and written about it; except to write vague reviews.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1264661413227827201?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So how is the Fantastic Songbirds book

asking as someone who didn't read the Hunger Games and watched 2 of 3 (4?) films with mild indifference

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk but my parents have a fantastic book about songbirds, it has a cd included!

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

idk but my parents have a fantastic book about songbirds, it has a cd included!

I got a series of books on local bird life with a built in speaker for calls and songs like those kids books where you hit the sound effect and they are good and strong

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I know the answer is "money" but I wish artistically bankrupt YA authors didn't come crawling back to their main franchises for prequels and psuedo sequels after a few years

Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, etc .

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know the answer is "money" but I wish artistically bankrupt YA authors didn't come crawling back to their main franchises for prequels and psuedo sequels after a few years

Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, etc .

I can't see how this impacts you enough for you to care. It doesn't sound like you were anticipating some new IP from them and were left disappointed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nut posted:

I got a series of books on local bird life with a built in speaker for calls and songs like those kids books where you hit the sound effect and they are good and strong

:nice:

btw, dont use it outdoors too much because it could confuse the birds into thinking theyre on someones turf & then they go somewhere else

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

:nice:

btw, dont use it outdoors too much because it could confuse the birds into thinking theyre on someones turf & then they go somewhere else

i will fistfight the birds if they step to my girl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nut posted:

:rip:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Not gonna lie there is something really special about closing a book and looking at it, and then putting it away.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ornamented Death posted:

I can't see how this impacts you enough for you to care. It doesn't sound like you were anticipating some new IP from them and were left disappointed.

Because I find artistic laziness to be loathsome and the apathetic consumption of art as product to be decadent

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I am always anticipating new IP.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Hollywood movies ain’t nothing but sequels and adaptations

Time to curl up to a good book!

*sees supermarket shelf filled with prequels and Fortnite novelizations*

Noooooooo

nut posted:

https://youtu.be/_LbExEydMKg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alan Smithee posted:

Hollywood movies ain’t nothing but sequels and adaptations

Time to curl up to a good book!

*sees supermarket shelf filled with prequels and Fortnite novelizations*

Noooooooo

yea the twilight zone remake wasnt very good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The last time a book had a good sequel was Don Quijote

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because I find artistic laziness to be loathsome and the apathetic consumption of art as product to be decadent

Have you ever considered being enthusiastic about the things that you like instead of complaining about what other people do? You might find that it would help you enjoy life more.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Have you ever considered being enthusiastic about the things that you like instead of complaining about what other people do? You might find that it would help you enjoy life more.

lol yes why be thoughtful when you can just consume

happiness is the ignorance of consumption and critical thought will only lead to sadness I am the soulless automata of capitalism beep beep

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Let People Enjoy Things, unless they enjoy posting about books in the book chat thread.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's really cool that people are coming out of the woodwork with this drivel to shut Mel up because he doesn't like a book when the person who brought the book up hasn't read it and doesn't even care about it in the first place.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 29, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hmm yes two or three people commenting on Mel's post, one of which was simply asking about the source of his ire (otherwise known as "discussion") is definitely the unwashed masses attacking him.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The source of his ire was self-evident in his complaint; the only reason to question it was to imply its illegitimacy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i just like books about birds

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The source of his ire was self-evident in his complaint; the only reason to question it was to imply its illegitimacy.

the fact you think this is a matter of "legitimacy" is pretty telling. I think, maybe, people just don't enjoy constantly reading posts about how liking things is bad.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Well, liking bad things can not be good, I guess?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

the fact you think this is a matter of "legitimacy" is pretty telling. I think, maybe, people just don't enjoy constantly reading posts about how liking things is bad.

Liking things is not bad. Acting like criticism is hate is bad.

If criticism of something makes you feel insecure, that's on you.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Liking things is not bad. Acting like criticism is hate is bad.

Criticism like calling people that like Twilight "subhumans"? Just what does that contribute to the discussion other than making you feel superior?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

the fact you think this is a matter of "legitimacy" is pretty telling.

how so?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheAardvark posted:

Nobody even liked the book. You're saying that people should never voice a negative opinion because someone who hypothetically likes the thing might take it personally. I don't understand this business about legitimacy; I was describing the attitude in your post that Mel didn't have any business saying a thing he thought because he didn't have a personal grievance against the authors.

TheAardvark posted:

Criticism like calling people that like Twilight "subhumans"?
Who said that? It wasn't Mel.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 29, 2020

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Criticism like calling people that like Twilight "subhumans"? Just what does that contribute to the discussion other than making you feel superior?

Wow you should go back and read that post because woosh

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a new Twilight book coming out apparently and it reminds me of the great Book Nerd Paradox

On one hand, those books suck and the readers of those books are subhuman. On the other hand, there is an entirely subculture of equally subhuman readers who spend all their time hating on Twilight but also read absolute poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What do you think is the point of that post because it seems to elude you

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What do you think is the point of that post because it seems to elude you

That you think fans of Twilight are "subhuman" and that also, people posting about Twilight in this forum are "subhuman".

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the praxis of loving YA and twilight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What people posting about it

Edit: the point of the post was that making fun of Twilight is dumb at this point because there is an entire subculture built out of making fun of Twilight and that subculture doesnt read anything that's better themselves