Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

O-Bry was fundamentally decent, the rest of those psycho's needed a Federation to stop them going all she-wolf of the SS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Vengeance Factor feels like it wasn't sure what its focus should be, so you get a proto-Kai Wynn negotiating with Mad Max rejects while the plot goes at a snail's pace and a mystery is spoiled before it can even begin and it's just a matter of boring exposition so Riker can figure out what the audience was shown thirty minutes earlier.

Now I'm watching The Defector and it is already off to a much better start where Holodeck Picard is playing Williams in Henry V while Captain Picard watches.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Defector is very good.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I get a kick out of how this show would take any and all excuses to play dressup.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress, the ending of The Defector stings all the more after what a shitshow Picard was.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I get a kick out of how this show would take any and all excuses to play dressup.
Pretty sure like the "technobabble" placeholder there's a section "Borrow costumes from next door and base some holodeck stuff around it"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I've been leaving TNG and DS9 on in the background while I've been working from home. After hitting the ends of both series, I figured I'd give Voyager a shot. I haven't seen an episode since I was a kid and it was still on the air, so I didn't remember much about it besides the Doctor being a good character.

I was surprised at how strong the first half of the pilot is (plus it has Quark), but it quickly squanders its potential and never recovers. More so than being bad, it's just boring. Neelix is exactly as terrible as his reputation makes him out to be, and if he wasn't featured so prominently right from the get-go I would've sworn he was put in there because some network exec told the writers "This goddamn dog man is really testing high with audiences. Put him in every loving episode."

On the positive side, it, uh...has the best opening credits of any Trek?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those opening credits are sweet

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Communist Walrus posted:

I've been leaving TNG and DS9 on in the background while I've been working from home. After hitting the ends of both series, I figured I'd give Voyager a shot. I haven't seen an episode since I was a kid and it was still on the air, so I didn't remember much about it besides the Doctor being a good character.

I was surprised at how strong the first half of the pilot is (plus it has Quark), but it quickly squanders its potential and never recovers. More so than being bad, it's just boring. Neelix is exactly as terrible as his reputation makes him out to be, and if he wasn't featured so prominently right from the get-go I would've sworn he was put in there because some network exec told the writers "This goddamn dog man is really testing high with audiences. Put him in every loving episode."

On the positive side, it, uh...has the best opening credits of any Trek?

Yea the voy theme is kinda pretty and would have paired well with a good sci fi show.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Temper Trudeau posted:

Yea the voy theme is kinda pretty and would have paired well with a good sci fi show.

Give Enterprise the Voyager theme and give Voyager Faith of the Heart.

Now each show has the music they deserve.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I kind of like Faith of the Heart. I have posted this before but y'know Eternal Recurrence, Time is a Flat Circle and all that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The enterprise credits theme is good and fits the show well.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

True. I can even forgive how incredibly tiny that planet with the reflective rings would have to be.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the scale is all off

BAH BAH BEE BAH BAH BAH

but the scale is all out of whack. And it's all so close, tidal forc

BAH BAH BEE BAH BAH BAH

but

BAH BAH BEE BAH BAH BAH

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wince every time they reference how Neelix was supposed to be this Han Solo type smuggler outlaw. Dude couldn't intimidate loving Flotter

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neither could Han Solo

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Danaru posted:

I wince every time they reference how Neelix was supposed to be this Han Solo type smuggler outlaw. Dude couldn't intimidate loving Flotter

They seem to be setting that up decently in Caretaker.

Then immediately after, for every episode after the pilot, he's just that goofy dumbass pedophiliac weirdo.

He would have been a lot more tolerable if they dropped in references to a background of hardships and struggles, of war-torn planets, and scrounging for scraps of food, for seeing his friends perish, and lying to survive. If there had been some depth there in character he would have been fine.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still remember bursting out in uncontrollable laughter at the reveal that alien straight up stole his lung or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piratepilates posted:

They seem to be setting that up decently in Caretaker.

Then immediately after, for every episode after the pilot, he's just that goofy dumbass pedophiliac weirdo.

He would have been a lot more tolerable if they dropped in references to a background of hardships and struggles, of war-torn planets, and scrounging for scraps of food, for seeing his friends perish, and lying to survive. If there had been some depth there in character he would have been fine.

They do.

As the episode of the week demands, and is then forgotten again because Rick Berman Hates Continuity :v:.

Neelix isn't a hard character to fix (aside from the whole Kes matter :barf:), the trick is to frame his happy-go-luck disposition as covering for a whole lot of depression and bad memories that he'd rather forget and let the mask slip once in a while to remind the audience.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

piratepilates posted:

we're already way over budget on rape planet survivors.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
S1 of Voyager, specifically the initial episodes illustrate how magnificently rude and lovely the crew is, particularly the captain. "Your'e dismissed. That's starfleet for...get lost." Tom is only interested in loving holograms, the Delaney sisters or rando aliens (fly boys am I right), the entire crew is sensitive about how they're treated by the doctor, so that justifies treating him like garbage, the only one with a shred of empathy and decency is Kes. She holds stronger federation values than the god drat federation! After finishing S7 and looking at S1 episodes, it's evident how extra bad the writing is.

Maybe it's tradition to have an rear end in a top hat crew in the first season of Trek. TNG had Picard treating Wesley like scum, VOY had everyone being an rear end in a top hat, Disco is basically a ship of dick heads until Pike shows up, I forgot what happens in Enterprise...DS9 might be the only show that had any decent traction out of the gate.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Danaru posted:

Shoulda brought back the guy from The Outrageous Okona for the Neelix role.

That'd have been outrageous.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Neelix isn't a hard character to fix (aside from the whole Kes matter :barf:), the trick is to frame his happy-go-luck disposition as covering for a whole lot of depression and bad memories that he'd rather forget and let the mask slip once in a while to remind the audience.
Sounds like he'd be right at home in Picard.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

snickothemule posted:

I forgot what happens in Enterprise...

Everyone on Enterprise is dumb as a brick from start to finish and I don't think any of them get any more or less likable as time goes on either. Like if you hate Flox or whoever in season 1 your opinion is probably not gonna change. I think the Enterprise has the most character growth on Enterprise which is maybe fitting but probably not on purpose.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Drone posted:

Shoulda brought back the guy from The Outrageous Okona for the Neelix role.

That'd have been outrageous.
Joe Piscopo?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OutsideAngel posted:

Everyone on Enterprise is dumb as a brick from start to finish and I don't think any of them get any more or less likable as time goes on either. Like if you hate Flox or whoever in season 1 your opinion is probably not gonna change. I think the Enterprise has the most character growth on Enterprise which is maybe fitting but probably not on purpose.

Don't forget a whole lot of heavy-handed "Well maybe we'll have a Prim(e)ary Directive about this ~someday~ (hint-hint), but today we have to use our best Human Judgement and Morality to resolve this issue".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Reed Alert.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

snickothemule posted:

Maybe it's tradition to have an rear end in a top hat crew in the first season of Trek. TNG had Picard treating Wesley like scum, VOY had everyone being an rear end in a top hat, Disco is basically a ship of dick heads until Pike shows up, I forgot what happens in Enterprise...DS9 might be the only show that had any decent traction out of the gate.

DS9 season 1 has O'Brien be a complete rear end to Bashir because season 1 Bashir is a complete rear end. Q comes to the station and acts like a complete rear end because Vash dumped him, so he picks a fight with Sisko and loses. Odo is a complete rear end and Kira is a complete rear end and together they compete to be the biggest complete rear end while telling the cardies and the federation types to gently caress off and let them run the station.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arcsquad12 posted:

DS9 season 1 has O'Brien be a complete rear end to Bashir because season 1 Bashir is a complete rear end. Q comes to the station and acts like a complete rear end because Vash dumped him, so he picks a fight with Sisko and loses. Odo is a complete rear end and Kira is a complete rear end and together they compete to be the biggest complete rear end while telling the cardies and the federation types to gently caress off and let them run the station.

Don't forget one of the first things we see Sisko do is be mean to Picard. Picard is not Locutus, he's as much a victim as your dead wife. Don't vomit your trauma all over strangers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, the first thing we see is sisko seethe at picard and then picard wusses out and refuses to acknowledge the subject.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't care if you're mind controlled or not when you murdered my wife, you loving send flowers and an apology before calling you insensitive bullfrog.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghostlight posted:

i don't care if you're mind controlled or not when you murdered my wife, you loving send flowers and an apology before calling you insensitive bullfrog.

Starfleet has a long history of shrugging and ignoring any atrocities that happen while you're mind controlled, possesed, in an alternate dimension, or otherwise out of sorts.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Starfleet has a long history of shrugging and ignoring any atrocities that happen while you're mind controlled, possesed, in an alternate dimension, or otherwise out of sorts.

"alright, tomorrow is the first day of your trial for, hmm, let's see...blowing up a freighter full of orphans. The judge is going to ask you how you plead. Your options are guilty, not guilty, or possessed by an alien entity. Trust me when I say the latter is going to get you a lot of mileage in this court system."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Communist Walrus posted:

"alright, tomorrow is the first day of your trial for, hmm, let's see...blowing up a freighter full of orphans. The judge is going to ask you how you plead. Your options are guilty, not guilty, or possessed by an alien entity. Trust me when I say the latter is going to get you a lot of mileage in this court system."

It wasn't me, it was the sex candle.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
STAR TREK: Sex Candle Blows A Freighter Full Of Orphans

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Communist Walrus posted:

The Cardassian justice system suddenly makes a lot more sense

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That episode would make a great Phoenix Wright case. He would cross examine that dude and he'd break down on the stand revealing he was a Cardassian

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or on Pon Farr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

That episode would make a great Phoenix Wright case. He would cross examine that dude and he'd break down on the stand revealing he was a Cardassian

You'd get a penalty every time you presented evidence, even if it was the right evidence