Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Vidiot posted:

I take it Blood Machines is the Heavy Metal 2000 of 2020?

It's definitely got that Metal Hurlant fetish feel to it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

I take it Blood Machines is the Heavy Metal 2000 of 2020?

I haven't thought about Heavy Metal 2000 since the time I watched it. I was also robo tripping at the time, as was the style in 2009.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Blood Machines is like an artsier Kung Fury. It's nicer to look at, but just as hollow.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Film grain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9zJ5RDt-O0

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God this is like everything that modern filmmakers get wrong about their exploitation rehashes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They're looking for $250,000 in indiegogo donations to fund that piece of poo poo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I finally got around to watching Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, and I am just left stunned. I'm hesitant to even call it a horror movie, there are many supernatural elements ala Boxer's Omen but it scores very low on the scare factor.

This movie is an intellectual horn of plenty if you are even slightly into Buddhism. Past lives, reincarnation, and karma play heavily into this fascinating character study about uncle Boonmee.

It would pair well with The Act of Killing as a sort of docu-double feature. Different country, but it shows the aftermath of a brutal and bloody communist purge that's seldom mentioned anymore. Both films show how the purge's perpetrators have moved on, or not, their reflections and remorse after being career communist murderers.

It's a movie about coming to terms about one's existence, past and future, and it struck a deep chord.

Two Tusk Walrus approved. :thumbsup:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Blood Machines should've been a 10-15 minute Carpenter Brut music video collage instead of... whatever they did now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what is Two Sentence Horror Stories

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Burkion posted:

I believe it originated on Reddit as a image/text thing. Quite a few of those were pretty good which ended up in a series which from the episodes I saw kinda feel lacking.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

I believe it originated on Reddit as a image/text thing. Quite a few of those were pretty good which ended up in a series which from the episodes I saw kinda feel lacking.

Yeah that's a good way to describe the ones I've seen so far.

They kind of waste their prompts and focus on really mundane poo poo. I can't say it's even bad just disappointing. You hear “Knock, knock, I heard. But the monsters had already found their way inside.” and you don't think "Purge, but also with social commentary about ICE in the last five seconds"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

I really like that show if only for the fact that they realized they have to put like 3 twists in every episode because adapting the stories "straight" would be stupid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It seems super basic and obvious as I'm going through it, but not the worst. Not even bad exactly. Some of them feel a little too vague or like a waste of their prompts. Best episode is probably Makeup Tutorial

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Two Sentence Horror Stories was capital-F Fine but watching them try and force two-sentence prompts into a typical 20 minute slot really just made me sad that Darknet never got a second season. "Horror anthology but with multiple shorter segments" seems like it's such an obvious premise; I don't get why every anthology show feels the need to either go full-serialized or else to try and reinvent The Twilight Zone format.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 28, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
They should just call these #gofundme nostalgia-trip film-grainy flops what they really are.

Cries for help.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Still cant decide between Halloween and Evil Dead. Someone pitch me.

Edit: well this was for the Horror March Madness thread but whatever, its the same posters.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

Still cant decide between Halloween and Evil Dead. Someone pitch me.

Edit: well this was for the Horror March Madness thread but whatever, its the same posters.

Rob Zombie's Halloween Director's Cut

Sheri Moon Zombie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The morgue scene in the Evil Dead TV series tho

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

married but discreet posted:

:hmmyes: :barf:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bruce Campbell was robbed at the emmys that year

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

That scene might be the hardest I've ever laughed at the Evil Dead franchise.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Finally got to watch Color Out of Space. I liked it alot, but Nick Cage seemed a little too much in some parts. He was perfect in Mandy, but this got a little distracting. Chong was perfect though, and that recording might have been my favorite part.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

ReapersTouch posted:

Finally got to watch Color Out of Space. I liked it alot, but Nick Cage seemed a little too much in some parts. He was perfect in Mandy, but this got a little distracting. Chong was perfect though, and that recording might have been my favorite part.

I appreciated Cage's commitment to his character's "overbearing father" voice as he increasingly lost his mind. Like, he made a clear distinction early on that "this is me, imitating that rear end in a top hat." Then as things unravel, he really leans into it. I actually liked this a lot more than Mandy, although I think that's less due to Cage and more that I just didn't think Mandy came together very well.

Unrelated, I watched Come To Daddy last and that was AWESOME. Loved the performances, loved the twists, and actually REALLY loved the score. The music for opening scene before the title card is fantastic and I'd love to own the soundtrack.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stryder posted:

I appreciated Cage's commitment to his character's "overbearing father" voice as he increasingly lost his mind. Like, he made a clear distinction early on that "this is me, imitating that rear end in a top hat." Then as things unravel, he really leans into it. I actually liked this a lot more than Mandy, although I think that's less due to Cage and more that I just didn't think Mandy came together very well.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I missed the context of all that on my first watch. On rewatch it was a particularly hilarious aspect of the character and I think it was a great way for Cage to make the character stand out as unique among his other crazy roles.

Stryder posted:

Unrelated, I watched Come To Daddy last and that was AWESOME. Loved the performances, loved the twists, and actually REALLY loved the score. The music for opening scene before the title card is fantastic and I'd love to own the soundtrack.

At this point Elijah Wood is maybe one prominent horror role away from being an under the radar indie horror icon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He already absolutely is.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
He's looking to produce a new NOES sequel too. He's got my vote.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

At this point Elijah Wood is maybe one prominent horror role away from being an under the radar indie horror icon.

I was thinking that last night, but then he got an early start with The Good Son and The Faculty. Also, looking at his IMDB page, I had no idea he's the voice of Spyro the dragon.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
He's using all the gently caress you money from LOTR to follow his dream. Hopefully he can team up with old school Peter Jackson once again in the future.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stryder posted:

I was thinking that last night, but then he got an early start with The Good Son and The Faculty. Also, looking at his IMDB page, I had no idea he's the voice of Spyro the dragon.

Wasn't even thinking of that. His horror resume really is very strong at this point.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
He does that podcast for Shudder too, he’s a horror nerd and it’s great

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

He's using all the gently caress you money from LOTR to follow his dream. Hopefully he can team up with old school Peter Jackson once again in the future.

I just want him and Daniel Radcliffe to do a rad indie horror project together.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

feedmyleg posted:

I just want him and Daniel Radcliffe to do a rad indie horror project together.

A remake of Dead Ringers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Get Tobey Maguire + Sam Raimi involved too somehow.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I've been an Elijah Wood-head since North, which may have aged dreadfully in the decade since I've watched it, but I will go to my early grave defending that movie.

Gotta say, I'm much more impressed with Frodo's post-fame pivot over Harry Potter's.

But then I've always hated Harry Potter as a whole for being little beyond infantile wish-fulfillment, so I may be biased.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Neither of them have really done badly. Wood was of course much more established and experienced before he got LOTR, whereas Radcliffe was literally a child when he landed one of the biggest roles of all time. But I think Radcliffe can be proud of what he's done since then, he's done some interesting work and it's not like he ever was a public mess the way a lot of child stars are in their 20s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, I think he did have some tabloid drama around alcoholism, but yeah seemingly nothing more than many people go through in their 20s.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I've been an Elijah Wood-head since North, which may have aged dreadfully in the decade since I've watched it, but I will go to my early grave defending that movie.

Gotta say, I'm much more impressed with Frodo's post-fame pivot over Harry Potter's.

But then I've always hated Harry Potter as a whole for being little beyond infantile wish-fulfillment, so I may be biased.

I agree on Potter, but not on Radcliffe. His very first post-franchise role was Woman in Black, a gothic Hammer horror film, followed quickly by Horns, a dark supernatural mystery, followed soon after Victor Frankenstein, where he plays neither the monster nor the doctor, but Igor. All of which are really interesting choices and a very cool direction for a career as a horror fan. Not to mention playing Ginsberg, a show about the Russian Revolution, a farting corpse in an indie darling, a moronic prince in Miracle Workers, a cop going undercover against white supremacy, a lot of interesting work on the stage...

He may not have had as many home runs as Wood, and may not be in the producing game like Wood, but he's certainly swung for the fences more than most people in his position.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I will need to give Victor Frankenstein a spin soon, I may have slept on some quality movies due to some weird internal-typecasting.

Slamming down every bit of Hammer's Frankenstein series has pretty much left me with a bottomless stomach when it comes to adaptations of Shelley's story.

No man alive is going to top Cushing in The Curse of Frankenstein, but with enough wine and weed, you can bend the narrative a little and end up with a self-made canon plucked from the best cuts from several movies.

This is probably how madness beings.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Please get drunk and stoned and make a crazy fan edit that uses all available Frankenstein movies to create a Frankensteined version of Frankenstein.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

He's already there, since he's a co-founder of Spectrevision, which produced Mandy, Color Out Of Space, and thread favourite The Greasy Strangler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

He became an indie horror icon when the Maniac remake (reboot?) came out. He was so loving fantastic in that.