Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
"I'll take it right away for 50 quid but as a gesture of sincerity can you take a photo with the BBC News page for today loaded on this computer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

he doesn't want a 5 year old laptop, fwiw.

right now it's looking like the pro is the best bet? it seems dumb to buy him a pro for office tasks, but the thermal issues on the air really are concerning in terms of the longevity of the thing.

Why are you concerned about the thermals on the Air when he'll be using it for its intended use case?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

right now it's looking like the pro is the best bet? it seems dumb to buy him a pro for office tasks, but the thermal issues on the air really are concerning in terms of the longevity of the thing.

Homeslice is using it for work, he’s as “Pro” as anybody. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If it’s really gonna last 8 years is $600 worth splitting hairs over?

30 years ago he would’ve spent $6k and used it for like 3 years tops.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i'm not worried about the thermals today, i'm worried about them in 7 years when the use case stresses a 2020 air a lot more than a 2020 13" pro.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

half the components here (esp screen and case) are worth 50 pounds alone

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

i'm not worried about the thermals today, i'm worried about them in 7 years when the use case stresses a 2020 air a lot more than a 2020 13" pro.

Just get him the 2-port Pro and call it a day?

It should be fine for what he wants to do, maybe crank it up to 16 GB.

Who knows what the RAM requirements for the macOS of the future will be..

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The iGPU in the Ice Lake part is something like 2x faster

Look Intel 10nm isn't what anyone wants it to be, but buying an 8th gen part in a new machine you want to last is dumb.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

It should be fine for what he wants to do, maybe crank it up to 16 GB.

Who knows what the RAM requirements for the macOS of the future will be..

Sure. But also can you think of anything more “ooooo the future” to an old dad than being able to charge your laptop from any port on either side?

Like if he’s anything like my dad he’d spend a whole afternoon just plugging it in and chuckling to himself ”.....brilliant! Just brilliant!....” lol like ok dad.

He wrote his undergrad thesis on a Macintosh and I think his four absolute favorite Apple devices in ~35 years are: iPad, iPod, Apple Watch, and AirPods

I’ve never seen somebody become fascinated and taken in by an Apple Watch quite like my dad. It took him like 2-3 years to admit that getting him an iPod was a “good gift” idea and maybe four or five years to really become attached to his smartphone, but he was evangelizing about his S2 within like a week, and bought everybody in the immediate family one by the end of the year.

And I’m pretty sure all nerd boomer dads love iPads because they let them check their work email and fantasy football scores in the way that they imagine Will Riker would while eating Ben & Jerry’s + watching Modern Family reruns and season 25 of The Voice.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 29, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my dad absolutely despises every second he is interacting with a screen rather than a book. thats part of the reason I want to get him something that lasts forever, in order to extend the period in which he never has to think about computers. good dad.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Why not get the base mbp? 10th gen is only a marginal performance improvement.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just found out my 4k monitor was set to a scaled resolution rather than native. It looks identical but performs like twice as smoothly. It feels like i'm back up to 60fps and out of the low refresh rate headache zone

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

my dad absolutely despises every second he is interacting with a screen rather than a book. thats part of the reason I want to get him something that lasts forever, in order to extend the period in which he never has to think about computers. good dad.
The MBP gives him an extra screen with the Touch Bar to interact with :v:

The mid spec MBA is probably fine, unless whatever he uses to remote runs horribly like Zoom (which might be specifically cause virtual backgrounds).

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Just get the base model macbook pro.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Brain Issues posted:

Just get the base model macbook pro.

Do not advocate self harm.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm still over here with my 2017 nTB

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

I'm still over here with my 2017 nTB

I can't tell if that's an old joke or poors joke.

I'm currently dailying my top of the line fully maxed out T9900 2009 17" with SSD. Needs a new battery and a repaste which should make it good for another 5yrs+.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Chris Knight posted:

Do not advocate self harm.

Nothing wrong with the base current 13” MBP. Problem is once you want to option it up to 16gb and 512gb like I did, you’re only like $200 from the 10th gen which has that and other benefits, and at that point I think it’s just worth doing that.

I personally contemplated that vs the 16” base and decided to go for that at Costco, because gently caress it I’m worth it and I want a big screen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

Nothing wrong with the base current 13” MBP. Problem is once you want to option it up to 16gb and 512gb like I did, you’re only like $200 from the 10th gen which has that and other benefits, and at that point I think it’s just worth doing that.

I personally contemplated that vs the 16” base and decided to go for that at Costco, because gently caress it I’m worth it and I want a big screen.

This right here, although it sounds like going to 16” is overkill for your dad. But once you start adding RAM and storage to the base 13” you may as well drop another $200 on the nicer model. The speakers are much, much better too.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Looking at the history of MacBooks, what exactly were they thinking with the Late 2008 Unibody Aluminum MacBook? It only existed for like 8 months before they decided to just make a 13" Pro. It also lacked FireWire for some odd reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Looking at the history of MacBooks, what exactly were they thinking with the Late 2008 Unibody Aluminum MacBook? It only existed for like 8 months before they decided to just make a 13" Pro. It also lacked FireWire for some odd reason.

First version of everything sucks

also it was cheaper than the pro

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
people itt not realizing that the ARM transition is imminent and also forgetting how abrupt the power PC "gently caress you" was lol

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Crunchy Black posted:

people itt not realizing that the ARM transition is imminent and also forgetting how abrupt the power PC "gently caress you" was lol

Likely depends on if every Mac becomes ARM.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
IDK what I hope for more- a slow gradual transition that leaves higher-power machines on Intel, at least for a while, or a "gently caress you, here's a surprise A-Series die four times bigger than anything you've seen before with a bajillion cores and it's shipping in the 16" MBP right now" switch

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK what I hope for more- a slow gradual transition that leaves higher-power machines on Intel, at least for a while, or a "gently caress you, here's a surprise A-Series die four times bigger than anything you've seen before with a bajillion cores and it's shipping in the 16" MBP right now" switch

not that I particularly begrudge hackintoshers but it is going to be really funny if Apple figures out a way to fence them out

and, duh, let's be honest, they know that's the easiest way to shore up revenues so uh, duh

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m okay with the a big swap. I’ve been waiting for a serious ARM laptop - Linux/BSD or Mac preferably.

I don’t use anything I care about staying x64. I’d be just as happy on ARM64 though I know it’ll take some folks a while to get toolchains moved over and crosscompiled.

That said, I’ve ported code x64 to aarch64 a few times and it’s mostly straightforward unless you’re doing very low level goofy poo poo. Hopefully most of the big projects won’t be too impacted.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

I don't think this transition will be as fast as PPC-to-Intel for a few reasons. Apple today has extended product support because Apple likes to keep products around as long as possible to maintain margins at their entry-level price points, e.g the 2015 Air living until last summer. Apple can afford to do this as technology lasts longer these days, and finally, in the mid-to-late 2000s, the Mac was still a primary interest for Apple instead of a tertiary interest like it is today.

I will buy a Mac this year because I have finally run into the hard limits of my late-2013 13" MBP, and given Apple's recent track record with Mac OS, I would not like to pay four figures to be an alpha tester with one of the first ARM Macs. And even if Apple stops Intel Mac support in 3 years like they did with PPC, I will just get a faster and more mature ARM Mac then.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Daniel Bryan posted:

Sales people and project managers want smaller laptop, the end. Absolutely zero need for FireWire.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Crunchy Black posted:

not that I particularly begrudge hackintoshers but it is going to be really funny if Apple figures out a way to fence them out

and, duh, let's be honest, they know that's the easiest way to shore up revenues so uh, duh

If Macs go to ARM nobody is gonna want to run a Hackintosh anyway.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
Now I want to see a Raspberry Pi hackintosh.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

The some odd reason is that by 2008 hardly anyone was using FireWire and building it into a new macbook design would be dumb lol

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Last Chance posted:

The some odd reason is that by 2008 hardly anyone was using FireWire and building it into a new macbook design would be dumb lol

I mean, every other MacBook besides the Air had it, and they put FW800 into it when they reintroduced it as a MacBook Pro.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean by 2008 smartphones were becoming a thing and miniDV usage [which I would estimate was the vast vast majority of firewire throughput] dropped off...precipitously lol

They put it back into the Pro because, "Pro" but I don't think anyone who bought one of those machines pulled it out of the box and thought they had been taken for a ride.

~Coxy posted:

If Macs go to ARM nobody is gonna want to run a Hackintosh anyway.

hard disagree however they'll probably figure out a way to put a secure enclave into the CPU that prevents hackintoshes in some way thats more severe than t2.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Optical drives were a big FireWire user, as well as external HD's and audio interfaces.

For drives, FireWire was a million times better than USB

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple just doubled the cost of upgrading to 16gb on the base Macbook Pro, from $100 to $200
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/30/13-inch-macbook-pro-ram-upgrade-doubled/

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Really virtually no reason to not get a 10th gen if you want to upgrade from base at all now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah audio interfaces and such were a huuuuge driver for FireWire for years.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

most people i know have had at least one mac and i'm one of two people i know who've used firewire anything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

well why not posted:

most people i know have had at least one mac and i'm one of two people i know who've used firewire anything.

Did you also use iWork?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has all the new Macbook Pros for $200 off right now.

Apple - MacBook Pro - 13" Display with Touch Bar - Intel Core i5 (8th gen)- 8GB Memory - 256GB SSD (Latest Model) - Space Gray - $1099
Apple - MacBook Pro - 13" Display with Touch Bar - Intel Core i5 (10th gen)- 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD (Latest Model) - Space Gray - $1599

All the other configs are $200 off as well.
If you were looking at the Air I would strongly consider this option as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Thanks for the heads-up, just grabbed that quad-port 13". My early-2015 13" is feeling a bit slow, so it's probably time to upgrade.

edit: also got the Vava dock and some USB-C - lightning cables

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 1, 2020