Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ratios and Tendency posted:

With no real cricket I've been watching hours of scratchy old Michael Holding and Jeff Thomson footage on youtube, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tFgtzeA2M

:eyepop:

Nearly everyone wearing terry towelling hats in the field. I remember nearly every Australian male during the 1970s wore one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I do feel for Hales. It understandably hits players hard when they become a second-string player not out of any fault of their own but because someone else has hammered down the door and is performing better than them (see also: Monty Panesar).

Saying that, Hales was particularly frustrating because he was nailed down to take the reserve batsman slot for the World Cup and we had to take James "Reincarnation of Michael Vaughan in a few too many ways" Vince instead. And there were plenty of games where Roy was either out due to injury or playing with an injury because we needed him and the alternative was... well, James Vince. If the alternative had been Alex Hales this would have been a lot simpler.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, Root and Williamson are both machines through that area.

And yeah, pretty much spot on. Smith is a fine ODI player but while I would rate him above Kohli, Williamson and Root in Tests I would rate him below them in ODIs. Though all of them have pretty much redefined what it means to be an ODI anchorman in recent years. Root is doing Trott's job at Pietersen's strike rate.

I think it's a weakness for Williamson overall, yes it's a fairly reliable single option in limited overs cricket but he does nick out more than he should doing it and at times plays that shot so late he has been a candidate for dragging it onto his stumps.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Smorgasbord posted:

I think it's a weakness for Williamson overall, yes it's a fairly reliable single option in limited overs cricket but he does nick out more than he should doing it and at times plays that shot so late he has been a candidate for dragging it onto his stumps.
It's certainly something England (and I imagine other sides) have set fields for him for, to slow down his scoring rate if nothing else.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 27, 2020

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The politics of cricket are on show with the Australian schedule for the year.

Bangladesh hasn't played Australia in about 50 years but icc/bcci pet project Afghanistan not only gets a test match in Australia it's being played in Perth rather than being banished to I don't know Canberra

Now, I think the developing test nation's like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, New Zealand and Ireland should be getting test matches in Australia on the regular venues. I'm really excited for the Afghanistan match assuming it goes ahead but Bangladesh have to feel pretty hard done by here.

Also Perth are seething that cricket Australia has given the gabba an Indian test over them. Pretty funny

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The politics of cricket are on show with the Australian schedule for the year.

Bangladesh hasn't played Australia in about 50 years but icc/bcci pet project Afghanistan not only gets a test match in Australia it's being played in Perth rather than being banished to I don't know Canberra

Now, I think the developing test nation's like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, New Zealand and Ireland should be getting test matches in Australia on the regular venues. I'm really excited for the Afghanistan match assuming it goes ahead but Bangladesh have to feel pretty hard done by here.

Also Perth are seething that cricket Australia has given the gabba an Indian test over them. Pretty funny

I think there should be A and B tours each year for the Big 3 who are then paired with a close neighbour.

For example The Bangers come over to England and Ireland, they tour England first but only a short one 3 Test, ODIs, and T20s. Then they head over to Ireland for a longer tour of 5 test etc. At the same time one of the bigger teams, lets say India for neatness heads to Ireland does a similar short tour before coming to England for the big tour.

That means the big teams get a good warm up before the main event, while the smaller teams get to test themselves against the bigger teams before having a fairer competition.

I would do the pairs as:

England/Ireland
India/Bangladesh
Australia/New Zealand
Pakistan/Sri Lanka
South Africa/Zimbabwe?
West Indies is a problem until the USA or someone gets the bug
Same goes for the Afgans

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/plalor/status/1266196714005782528?s=19

No t20 word cup this year

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
You could hold the T20 WC this year in Australia but you wouldn't have any fans and what's the point of a World Cup if you can't sell tickets?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

tanglewood1420 posted:

You could hold the T20 WC this year in Australia but you wouldn't have any fans and what's the point of a World Cup if you can't sell tickets?

If a bunch of sport is still cancelled you could sell the TV rights for a princely sum. Gambling addicted Indians gotta bet on something

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I am sure Indian are writing a letter themselves to offer their services.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

But BCCI and the ICC are having their own special falling out at the moment. Apparently BCCI promised they would get some tax breaks from the government for next year’s tournament. They were meant to have it confirmed by now but said because of the pandemic the government has shut down non essential services and tax bribes are non essential. ICC is saying they don’t care, they want the tax break now.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29225970/icc-threatens-shift-2021-t20-world-cup-india-tax-issues

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That tax break will go straight into the pockets of the ICC's execs.

Also, it looks like Ganguly might be taking a run at ICC presidentship (or whatever the gently caress it is). A bit of a shame really, since I'm pretty sure it's essential to be an unbearable, corrupt oval office to run the ICC and Ganguly's always seemed more or less okay.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

tanglewood1420 posted:

The ICC, and cricket boards around teh world care less for actual tickets and people at the games than they do for TV rights. Look at the last ODI world cup they held in the West Indies. Tickets were too expensive for actual people to go to the games. People didn't want to go to the games. There were too many games. But because of all of that, ratings were up, TV rights were sold for approximately a bajillion dollars, and the ICC declared the tournament a raging success.

Also seconding Burn Down Canberra saying that Bangladesh have been poorly treated by Cricket Australia. Remember how CA recently cancelled a Bangladesh tour of Aus because it was not financially viable. But didn't offer the Bangladesh Cricket Association, (who needed the cash more than CA, and to whom even a poorly attended tour of Aus would help them financially and on the field), any sort of compensation? And instead of the test tour they offered, if I remember correctly, 2 ODIs and 2 T20s to be played at some vague undefined later date which has not yet even been discussed.

And if the ICC want their tax breaks, I thought that was the reason they were headquartered in Dubai for a while.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

kingturnip posted:

That tax break will go straight into the pockets of the ICC's execs.

Also, it looks like Ganguly might be taking a run at ICC presidentship (or whatever the gently caress it is). A bit of a shame really, since I'm pretty sure it's essential to be an unbearable, corrupt oval office to run the ICC and Ganguly's always seemed more or less okay.

He's an unbelievably entitled shithead.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's an unbelievably entitled shithead.

When he toured NZ as captain he demanded separate transportation for himself while the rest of the team were on the bus.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

When he toured NZ as captain he demanded separate transportation for himself while the rest of the team were on the bus.

I dunno, man. Would you want to be stuck on the same bus as Harbhajan for any length of time?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Ganguly was a huge entitled rich boy posh arsehole, to be sure.

But after he was dropped from the team, and forced to "lower himself" back to Ranji Trophy to force his way back into the team, he mellowed and became a bit more humble. I don't hate his commentary/special comments as much as others.

However, saying that, he is still a BCCI shill through and through. So I guess what I am saying is Saurav Ganguly is a land of contrasts.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Was it Ganguly who went on a tirade about how cricket no longer needs bails because we can just go by whether the stumps light up?

e: think it was actually Sanjay Manjrekar, but they were in the booth together

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Three Windies/England tests in 21 days with zero crowd seems like it would be a good time to try out 7 or 8 (or more) different bowlers, or a good time to kill a few.

I hope they have the stump mics turned up.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The BBC have the rights to the highlights of this summer's matches, and have given Isa Guha the presenter's role, with Chef and Carlos Braithwaite in the studio, while TMS has dropped Geoff Boycott from the roster for the radio commentary

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sounds very positive

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Boycott in South Africa most of the year these days?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goatface posted:

Isn't Boycott in South Africa most of the year these days?

no idea about that but he's said a bit more

https://twitter.com/GeoffreyBoycott/status/1268944800654426113

His TMS contract also ended last summer

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So why is he pissing and moaning about being white if he's too sickly to commentate

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because he's a oval office.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I’m sure he’ll be fit and healthy enough to beat his wife again. Because he’s a wife-beater.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In minor, cricket adjacent news:

I just found out that former WWE Champion Jinder Mahal's real name is Yuvraj Singh (Dhesi). Which I think is cool.

Also

Vagabundo posted:

I’m sure he’ll be fit and healthy enough to beat his wife again. Because he’s a wife-beater.

This. People don't talk about this enough. In the AFL Wayne Carey gets poo poo on for being a domestic abuser that is still allowed on TV, much the same as Matty Johns in the NRL. Just as I'm sure other sports have their own examples. But Boycott often gets forgotten in the conversation about violent abusers who have apparently been forgiven and still allowed on TV because they are "good blokes" and good on air talent.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This. People don't talk about this enough. In the AFL Wayne Carey gets poo poo on for being a domestic abuser that is still allowed on TV, much the same as Matty Johns in the NRL. Just as I'm sure other sports have their own examples. But Boycott often gets forgotten in the conversation about violent abusers who have apparently been forgiven and still allowed on TV because they are "good blokes" and good on air talent.

I can't recall either of the Johns boys being domestic abusers. Drug fiends, groupsex participants and generally insensitive pricks yes, but not abusers at home.

Not that League is short of domestic abusers that still get their mugs on TV.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

BrigadierSensible posted:

In minor, cricket adjacent news:

I just found out that former WWE Champion Jinder Mahal's real name is Yuvraj Singh (Dhesi). Which I think is cool.

Also

sounds like you’ve really got it under control

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So Micheal Clarke has been given an AO, (Order of Australia). Which you can argue for or against I suppose.

But what I found interesting about this news is that all Australian captains since Jack Ryder have been given the same honour. Except for Kim Hughes, Ian Chappell, Greame Yallop, and Barry Jarman.

Which means that Greg Chappell was given an AO before his much more talented, and much more deserving elder brother.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Maybe I'm being wooshed here, but Greg was a far superior player to Ian.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

Maybe I'm being wooshed here, but Greg was a far superior player to Ian.

Nah. I personally prefer Ian. But I also have bad taste, so ...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Which one ordered the under arm?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
You reckon Tim Paine will get one for being the eighteenth-best wicketkeeper to play for Australia?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mister Chief posted:

Which one ordered the under arm?

greg

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Throws the whole thing into disrepute then doesn't it.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/KP24/status/1270267339045470209?s=19

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Bad opinion obvs, but don't give companies and governments any ideas, KP. In today's dataminey world you increasingly need to disclose those things to access essential services like broadband, mobile phones, banking, legal advice, etc (under the guise of anti money laundering, know your client, or credit checks), and I'm sure someone would love to extend the concept to internet speech.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I remember watching this live

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1272098956810481668

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lol CA told rob moody to delete his YouTube account and then backflipped when a thousand people told them to gently caress off