Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The image of the B-1B negligently belly-landed is always a good one. Just straight up didn’t do the checklist, didn’t notice warnings, landed it “safely” to the tune of $8 million in damage and minor injuries.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Ola posted:

I hadn't heard about this raid. So incredibly brave and audacious. Sadly it had no effect on the outcome, but it was well worth a try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqystIYoJ6o

It may have had an effect by illuminating the capabilities of the missile’s guidance system.

The missiles could not be stopped, but they didn’t have to be taken on the chin.

British counterintelligence ran Operation Crossbow to fool the Nazis into misaiming the missiles. They systematically biased the data by disproportionately reporting missile strikes on the far side of London and hushing up impacts on the near side. This was possible in part because every Nazi agent in Britain was dead, turned double, or imprisoned by war’s end.

Nazi technicians compensated for the perceived overshoot by adjusting the guidance, with the result being that most missiles then undershot the target.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

The image of the B-1B negligently belly-landed is always a good one. Just straight up didn’t do the checklist, didn’t notice warnings, landed it “safely” to the tune of $8 million in damage and minor injuries.

Images, you say? http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/bombers4.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
eight million bucks seems pretty cheap

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
only 4x what a flight to the ME costs

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like 138 got turned into a trainer/tester after that, but I can't remember...it's a really familiar SN, all of the lovely birds went to test at edwards or dyess to get hacked up further with instrumentation

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
hmmm, delicious chicken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry1FbjbNSuE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I suspect everyone knows by now, but just in case they don't, the first crewed SpaceX mission is launching today @ 4:30 eastern.

Nasa Youtube stream
https://youtu.be/Aymrnzianf0

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1265661168397385734?s=21

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

There's likely more to come than that, they're supposed to be cutting 20% of their commerical workforce. Still doesn't compare to 66% job loss we've ended up with where I work.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I have a job as of now. If more cuts are made then I won't. Over 40% of my group is being let go. Crazy times.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Been throwing on some slow tv to fill the quarantine void and thought you guys might enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4LXYCfE2sw

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/crashed-pakistan-plane-hit-runway-times-approach-200528184334265.html

* Extremely The Count Voice * Three! Three runway impacts! AH AH AH!

As a pilot I'm very much in favour of not blaming the pilots for a crash until you're good and certain they hosed up, but ooooh boy it sure looks like they hosed up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
It’s amazing that the engines could generate any thrust after a beating like that.

Ironically, if they had lost all thrust, it may have been for the better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Though to be fair A320s do have an extremely good record with belly landings.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

sincx posted:

Cross posting from the OSHA thread

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s amazing that the engines could generate any thrust after a beating like that.

Ironically, if they had lost all thrust, it may have been for the better.

If Boeing knew this they wouldn't have needed to move the engines on the max higher and MCAS could have been avoided, alas

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Uh

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAvZ6h8A7fS/?igshid=10zmyhspkocrr

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TCAS take the wheel

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

sincx posted:

Cross posting from the OSHA thread

"C'mon! Who needs that pain-in-the-rear end net when the boxes literally go to the ceiling?"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just fill it all up with expansion foam

e:

quote:

"All sorts of things can happen to an engine if you bounce it down the runway," a person familiar with its design said.

*all sorts of things taken from the general category of poo poo no longer working

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 29, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

This has to be a joke LinkedIn account with the name Chad Protifz.

Also LinkedIn influencers are objectively terrible people.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

bloops posted:

This has to be a joke LinkedIn account with the name Chad Protifz.

Also LinkedIn influencers are objectively terrible people.

"Had to close my old account as part of divorce pr..."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

aphid_licker posted:

Just fill it all up with expansion foam

e:

*all sorts of things taken from the general category of poo poo no longer working

quote:

Yeah, smashing an engine into a runway might gently caress some poo poo up fam.

-Doctor of Aerospace Engineering and world's foremost A320 expert

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

TCAS take the wheel

I believe we have a new title

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasn't that the thread title at one point?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
According to this PIA 8303 was at an altitude of 10,000ft only 4 minutes out from landing, and descending at a rate of over 7000ft per minutes at one stage to intercept the glidescope.
https://youtube.com/UEYiiZdvNh4?t=242
:wtc:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Real Amethyst posted:

According to this PIA 8303 was at an altitude of 10,000ft only 4 minutes out from landing, and descending at a rate of over 7000ft per minutes at one stage to intercept the glidescope.
Apparently Air Wagner flies to Pakistan now(?)

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52849560?fbclid=IwAR0QYPMm1iP9SETB0gP-pTUJRo04i625XzYrp4biSiCNfIP7GiZhyGZjNj8

Guy decides to fly to the beach. Lands at RAF Valley.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

of course an rear end in a top hat like that is the guy who can afford a private PC-12

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oldmachinepress did an in-depth article on the J7W1 Shinden

I had no idea the Smithsonian had a complete disassembled one

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

of course an rear end in a top hat like that is the guy who can afford a private PC-12

Please do not shame my lottery-winning fantasies, sir.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sorry, private PC-12 is an rear end in a top hat plane. I saw Jerry flying one in a video and that's that.

I, being a very magnanimous and kind genius, would spend my $10M-$100M lottery winnings on a private TBM-910.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i knew a dude with a tbm, that was a cool plane

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Since we're talking personal aircraft can I just say Knarr, matey!

Not sure about all the engineering* but it does look neat

or have their promotional youtube

*not an engineer

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Sorry, private PC-12 is an rear end in a top hat plane. I saw Jerry flying one in a video and that's that.

I, being a very magnanimous and kind genius, would spend my $10M-$100M lottery winnings on a private TBM-910.

Also a great choice! When considering winning the lotto, I go back and forth between those two. The PC-12 seems more generous because I could carry more people and do more things with it, but I must confess the extra speed and lower operating cost of the TBM would likely push me in that direction when all is said and done :v:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The only acceptable lottery plane answer is a Catalina tricked out to be an air yacht thank you very much :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spaced God posted:

The only acceptable lottery plane answer is a Catalina tricked out to be an air yacht thank you very much :colbert:

Yes, all the cost of a boat combined with all the cost of a plane.

Why isn't everyone doing this?!?