Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The hyperspace button is generally a trap for the unwitting, but that was definitely a moment to hit it.

I have such an aversion to the hyperspace button that I find it really hard to use even when I definitely should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

psychopomp posted:

I have such an aversion to the hyperspace button that I find it really hard to use even when I definitely should.

Oh yeah, it's pretty much a sucker move since it'll drop you in the path of an asteroid. But in that gif, half the field was empty and two asteroids that weren't small were closing in at the same time. It was pretty much the only good time to hit hyperspace you'll ever see in Asteroids.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

For some unfathomable reason I tried playing "Spider-Man & X-Men: Arcade's Revenge" (yes, another dreadful attempt at a Marvel game) on the Mega Drive and I can only describe it as utter dogshit. Absolutely infuriating, needlessly difficult dogshit.

psychopomp posted:

Played some Asteroids. I suuuuuuuck.

Random Stranger posted:

The hyperspace button is generally a trap for the unwitting, but that was definitely a moment to hit it.

Holy poo poo I was just watching this episode before reading these posts.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Guess what Sega Genesis game’s ending has aged horribly:

Comix Zone

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I’m playing Dracula X and it’s slapping me silly. Every mob is a literal troll.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'll give Tecmo's Secret of the Stars this: the Auto Battle system makes it a lot more tolerable.

Seriously though how the gently caress am I supposed to take this game seriously when there's a villain called Bad Bad?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha yeah secret of the stars had a lot of little things that drove me mad until i gave up on it. unlike say Lufia 1 that while dull and repetitive, had enough charm to keep me going through the whole game.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Quiet Feet posted:

I'll give Tecmo's Secret of the Stars this: the Auto Battle system makes it a lot more tolerable.

Seriously though how the gently caress am I supposed to take this game seriously when there's a villain called Bad Bad?

I think the villaness' name in Gaiares was Zz Badnusty and it has always stuck with me as the most bizarre bad guy name, even though it's probably just terrible translation striking again.

In game playing news I gave Godzilla Domination a whirl in the GBA and it can be summed up as this:

Pro: It plays exactly like King of the Monsters.

Con: It plays exactly like King of the Monsters.

And unfortunately for Godzilla I find KotM's gameplay/moveset very boring and basic for beatem up/fighting games. It's like the worst of both worlds.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Started Front Mission 2 after beating the first, and there's definitely improvements already, the game has a tutorial section in the main menu screen and teaches basic and advanced stuff fairly well which is pretty cool. The change to 3D battle scenes looks nice but it has the very unfortunate side effect of having long load screens to transition into them from the map itself. The quick battle option is there so you don't have to see the 3D scene but it doesn't show which parts of the wanzers are being damaged, and that really sucks.

The fan translation is weird cause it's not actually complete, there's many scenes that are still in JP (plus the FMVs), so they included a complete english script .txt file. I guess they couldn't fit all the english text into the ROM somehow?

Edit: drat the engrish in the JP stuff is strong

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 23, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When you play FM3 be aware there are two entire, completely distinct story campaigns based on a decision you make at the very start of the game but that most of your time will be spent trawling the in-universe internet for secrets.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

When you play FM3 be aware there are two entire, completely distinct story campaigns based on a decision you make at the very start of the game but that most of your time will be spent trawling the in-universe internet for secrets.

Good to know, I haven't bothered looking at the internet stuff in FM2 too much cause the script has all the relevant info sections on recent things/characters.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Fired up some EVO: The Search For Eden on the SNES last night and played some more today. I used to love that game as a kid...and now I'm realizing that the vast majority of that games length and content is grinding. I guess I was more forgiving of it as a kid, but the gameplay flow is just wander into a new 2 screen area, kill animals until you can level up, and move on.

I'm still entering a kind of zen like experience when I play it and I've just gotten to world 3...but I may not be continuing.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vlaphor posted:

Fired up some EVO: The Search For Eden on the SNES last night and played some more today. I used to love that game as a kid...and now I'm realizing that the vast majority of that games length and content is grinding. I guess I was more forgiving of it as a kid, but the gameplay flow is just wander into a new 2 screen area, kill animals until you can level up, and move on.

I'm still entering a kind of zen like experience when I play it and I've just gotten to world 3...but I may not be continuing.

I actually beat it less than a month ago due to viewing a stream and decided to beat it. I had played it when I was a kid but it didn't really grab me. It's a cool game in concept but the gameplay is very lacking and boring. I don't think it's worth beating it tbh. There's the prequel game too, I wonder if that's any better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just wrapped up Wild Guns. Off the bat, I wish the genre of space western wasn't dead.

Its a weird game, with some of the stiffest controls imaginable and theres one miniboss boss I cannot figure out how you're supposed to do it without some lucky weapon drops/be super humanly reactive and enjoy being that way for minutes on end, but it all works so well. I actually didnt even use the stun lasso most of time so despite being a relatively simple shooter you have a surprising amount of options and your basic gun is surprisingly good.

Really, really reminds me of PN03, but like, as a better game.

solitonmedic
May 25, 2020

StarTropics, just so I can earn some retro achievement because I was genuinely curious if it'll work or not.

I have to admit, this game is unforgivingly hard, but you have to love that "japanese-american" charm back in the day. Shame this series will never see the light of day ever again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Chip's Challenge on the Atari Lynx, of all things...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Just wrapped up Wild Guns. Off the bat, I wish the genre of space western wasn't dead.

Its a weird game, with some of the stiffest controls imaginable and theres one miniboss boss I cannot figure out how you're supposed to do it without some lucky weapon drops/be super humanly reactive and enjoy being that way for minutes on end, but it all works so well. I actually didnt even use the stun lasso most of time so despite being a relatively simple shooter you have a surprising amount of options and your basic gun is surprisingly good.

Really, really reminds me of PN03, but like, as a better game.
I read that as Wild Arms and was wondering for a sec why the gently caress you'd complain about stiff controls in a turn-based RPG.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I read that as Wild Arms and was wondering for a sec why the gently caress you'd complain about stiff controls in a turn-based RPG.

I also wish Wild Arms wasnt a dead series even if it failed to produce a single all around good game

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

solitonmedic posted:

StarTropics, just so I can earn some retro achievement because I was genuinely curious if it'll work or not.

I have to admit, this game is unforgivingly hard, but you have to love that "japanese-american" charm back in the day. Shame this series will never see the light of day ever again.

It's currently available on the Wii U Virtual Console and was on the NES Mini, so it's not like it's locked up in a vault never to come out again.

Barudak posted:

I also wish Wild Arms wasnt a dead series even if it failed to produce a single all around good game

It did produce an awesome intro to one game.

(Edit: Now I have to share this cool performance of the intro by a band that turned up when I looked for it. I had always heard that the Japanese version had lyrics but this one just has a guy whistling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4sxwyr5Do)

The real question is how were there five games in the series released in the US. I've never even seen a copy of 4 and 5...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 26, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wild Arms 1 was great. Probably a bit dated for today's sensibilities, but all in all I think it deserves classic status.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wild Arms 1 was the first RPG I beat on the PSX. Kind of amazing going from snes RPGs to that, but the second one was FFVII, so WA was quickly forgotten about.

It's also the only Wild Arms game I've ever played.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vlaphor posted:

Wild Arms 1 was the first RPG I beat on the PSX. Kind of amazing going from snes RPGs to that, but the second one was FFVII, so WA was quickly forgotten about.

It's also the only Wild Arms game I've ever played.

What was your response to the 3D battles at the time? Cause they look atrocious today.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

What was your response to the 3D battles at the time? Cause they look atrocious today.

"The camera rotates in real time? Whoa...."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought they looked rad as gently caress at the time. It looked low poly, but the characters had style. The camera's dramatic shots and movement looked cool as well.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought they looked rad as gently caress at the time. It looked low poly, but the characters had style. The camera's dramatic shots and movement looked cool as well.
Yeah. My brothers never played games but they liked watching me play FFVII and kept up with the story just based on the graphics and summons. The jump from sprites to 3D was pretty dramatic at the time.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnfPQDBuqs

This little bit here by Jeff Gerstmann explains just how we felt about the transition from 3d to more advanced 3d. It starts at around 2:16

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 27, 2020

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I played through Fighter's History last night on easy, using the kickboxer guy, Samchay.

It's not as bad as I expected. I might give it another whirl with higher difficulty. The computer opponents are very aggressive about walking right up to you, even if they just get kicked in the face every time.

Really it's biggest crime is the obvious one: it's a blatant SF2 knockoff. This far I'd rate it better than most of the SNK fighting game ports on the SNES though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJz37NoSBo

Trying to figure out how to make Gravis emulation work again.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Capcom tried to sue Data East, the creators of Fighter's Destiny, but lost the lawsuit. I wonder why Capcom took Fighter's Destiny to court and not like the other dozens of Street Fighter clones...

I finally got my old crt tv going and now have my SNES hooked up to it via s-video. The first game I played was The Combatribes and it's still fun! The fighting is very basic for a brawler but with moves like picking up gang members and swinging them around by their feet never gets old. It helps that Combatribes is also really short (maybe 40 minutes) so it doesn't feel drawn out.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Metal Gear Ac!d on my original PSP-1000.

Hated it at the time, love it now

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I ditched Chip's Challenge on the Lynx, just got hosed off by the complete guesswork involved on some levels. Instead I'm back to playing RE2 on N64.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I may be done with Secret of the Stars. I am going to say that A: I liked it more than I thought I would and B: it was getting really boring. Gameplay-wise it's not bad but it is an utter void of personality and there's nothing to keep you coming back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
you are free

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
Been replaying Super Star Wars on SNES, and I kind of like its insanely hostile universe. Every single thing, from wildlife to rocks to lightbulbs, is 100% committed to murdering you. More than once, one of those little boxy cleaning droids took it upon itself to shove me into space through a hole in the Death Star floor, and I laughed for about a minute straight.

It is odd, though, that a game which creates whole levels and bosses around five-second shots from the movie, completely omits two of the bigger action sequences (the trash compactor/monster bit and the Falcon escape/turret-shooting) that could have easily been decent game levels.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I took a quick break from playing the Windwaker Randomizer (which is amazing fun!) to try some NES games I have been on the fence about for a while, here are some quick thoughts.

Bump n' Jump: The love child of Road Fighter and Spy Hunter without the bullshit of the latter. It's a simple game but it's enough to keep me entertained in short bursts.

Totally Rad: Budget and kinda lame Megaman, but at least the graphics are nice-ish. A game that really went through the localization wringer though.

Stinger: I see what everyone means when they point out it's kinda crappy for a Twinbee game. The horizontal levels do it no favors, especially in the bell juggling department.

Super Mario 3: It's biggest crime is that it's not Super Mario World and I am a 90s kid so you know where my loyalty is in this debate.

Xexyz: I'd be more inclined to get into it if the game wouldn't keep spawning enemies so goddamn fast and plentiful. Also the jump sound effect is kinda annoying.

Gradius: I am not great at shooters, so a notoriously challenging one is going to kick my rear end. Is there another strategy for getting past the level one volcano other than you'd better have missiles? I'll be going back to Parodius instead, which you can pry from my cold dead hands.

Silk Worm: Dull and repetitious, which is a shame because the two player simultaneous concept is great. Previously I had played it with a friend and we got several levels in but still noticed how the enemy types and patterns didn't really seem to change all that much.

Abadox: Seems to be hard for the wrong reasons and perhaps has the worst spread fire power up in a game ever. Excellent graphics if you are into grotesque blood and guts horror type stuff.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Turbinosamente posted:

Gradius: I am not great at shooters, so a notoriously challenging one is going to kick my rear end. Is there another strategy for getting past the level one volcano other than you'd better have missiles? I'll be going back to Parodius instead, which you can pry from my cold dead hands.

Have two options and park them above you to provide a curtain of covering fire as the rocks rain down. More expensive than missiles but options are really important in Gradius 1.

Also, if you enter the Konami code while the game is paused it makes out everything but Laser.

Turbinosamente posted:

Abadox: Seems to be hard for the wrong reasons and perhaps has the worst spread fire power up in a game ever. Excellent graphics if you are into grotesque blood and guts horror type stuff.

Counterpoint: Bionic Commando NES.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Catellite posted:

Been replaying Super Star Wars on SNES, and I kind of like its insanely hostile universe. Every single thing, from wildlife to rocks to lightbulbs, is 100% committed to murdering you. More than once, one of those little boxy cleaning droids took it upon itself to shove me into space through a hole in the Death Star floor, and I laughed for about a minute straight.

It is odd, though, that a game which creates whole levels and bosses around five-second shots from the movie, completely omits two of the bigger action sequences (the trash compactor/monster bit and the Falcon escape/turret-shooting) that could have easily been decent game levels.

I have a love/hate relationship with SSW, mainly because the Kalhar Boss Monster is literally a make-or-break scenario made of RNG and it can suck an entire universe of soggy hairy dicks for being such an inconsistent oval office. I absolutely loving hate that boss, but the rest of the game I find to be an enjoyable walk in the park.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

If you're playing the Famicom/NES version, go to the upper left corner and just shoot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I never had it as a kid, so I've never really played it beyond the first five minutes while looking through ROM lists, but I gave Robotron 64 a serious crack tonight and basically fell into a trance. Ended up Game-Over-ing on Wave 76 of... 200, I think? Struth. Pretty great dual-stick shooter, utterly ugly as sin but I suppose it had to be in order to work on the consoles of the day.

Also, the music goes unexpectedly HAM at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlf7TxJfkqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

If you're playing the Famicom/NES version, go to the upper left corner and just shoot.

This is what I have been doing but I think it requires a minimum of missiles because there's that one rock that reaches even there. I guess there is no way to do it with out power ups. Which I suppose I should have expected that power ups are a necessity, to used to modern games where you might slide through a level without them.

I did Konami code a couple of times but still managed to be too overzealous with the boss and screw even that up.