Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

"Spyro: A Hero's Tail" is the fifth main entry in the "Spyro The Dragon" 3D platformer franchise. The last one before a reboot. The game is developed by Eurocom Entertainment Software and published by Vivendi.

The game was released in November, 2004 for the PS2, XBox and GCN. I'll be playing the GCN version. Simply because it's easier to emulate.

Spyro 5 brings back some mechanics from the original trilogy, including some mini games and playing as different characters. Such as Hunter and Sgt. Byrd! As for the story, well, it seems barely connected. And new characters pop out of nowhere. But old ones do return!

Is it worse than Spyro 4? Let's find out together!

This time I'll be tackling this beast solo. Time zones and schedules make it hard to it with Pods, as we did before. Pods does show up for the Finale and few Bonus reacts.

Overview
Things will be a little different with this one. Not as much an LP & Break. More like an LP & Stream. I have never played Spyro 5 before, but I've always been curious. So I'm playing this game on stream, live, for the first time. Quite different from my usual post-stuff.

That being said, the series quickly evolves into more of an LP & Break thing as I find out about tricks while playing. The first few episodes aren't edited much but that changes too.

What about the previous Spyro games?
Let's Play & Break "Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage".
Let's Play & Break "Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon".
Let's Play & Break "Spyro 4: Enter the Dragonfly".

For the original, check out Flare Elevar's Spyro the Dragon LP.

"Let's Play & Stream"?
Yes! You can join me live on stream if you want, at http://twitch.tv/jaffyjaf. No real strict schedule yet. But I'll always cut down and post to YouTube afterwards.

Any place to support you?
Yes, again! I have a newly created patreon at https://www.patreon.com/jaffy. There's ways on Twitch and YouTube too, normally.

Finally, you can join my discord if you wish! https://discord.gg/8hgEeuR

Just A Friend fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
AAAAHHHHHH. Welcome back. Looking forward to this

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I remember this one actually being pretty okay when I played it as a kid. Nowhere near on the level of the original trilogy though.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I remember this one actually being pretty okay when I played it as a kid. Nowhere near on the level of the original trilogy though.
My first impressions tell me its quality is indeed between the orginal trilogy and Spyro 4.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Hell yes. I actually like this game, and think it's good. Also nowhere near as good as the original trilogy, but a fine step in the right direction. A shame that Enter the Dragonfly poisoned the well for Spyro for so long that it had no chance to be good.

Super happy to see you back as well, JAF.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
What an amazing birthday gift. I've been rewatching the old 2&3 LPs since I finished 100+% the entire Reignited trilogy so this has timed out remarkably well.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

What an amazing birthday gift. I've been rewatching the old 2&3 LPs since I finished 100+% the entire Reignited trilogy so this has timed out remarkably well.
Happy Birthday! :D

A bit of a dump, I know. I wanted to upload all of Stream 1's stuff before streaming again this weekend.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Pungry posted:

Hell yes. I actually like this game, and think it's good. Also nowhere near as good as the original trilogy, but a fine step in the right direction. A shame that Enter the Dragonfly poisoned the well for Spyro for so long that it had no chance to be good.

Yeah, this feels like Hero's Tail should have been the first sixth-generation Spyro game instead of Enter the Dragonfly. It might have been better received if it had been.

The gems as currency instead of collectables also seems like precursor to LoS using them health and magic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Honestly, the more I see of this game the more I feel like it was originally designed to be a different collectathon game and Spyro was painted on top of it later. Nothing really looks or feels like a Spyro game, in any meaningful way.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah, this feels like Hero's Tail should have been the first sixth-generation Spyro game instead of Enter the Dragonfly. It might have been better received if it had been.

The gems as currency instead of collectables also seems like precursor to LoS using them health and magic.
For health and magic?! That’s promising.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

This feels wrong, Just A Friend.

I watched Video 1 and 0 Glitches.

Just wrong

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

This feels wrong, Just A Friend.

I watched Video 1 and 0 Glitches.

Just wrong
The curse of a blind playthrough I suppose. #05 might have something for you though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Aw man you broke the streak of the thumbnail having a character staring lasciviously at the viewer

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Aw man you broke the streak of the thumbnail having a character staring lasciviously at the viewer

Haha i know. I actually have one for this episode. Of Sparx. The break view was just so tempting though.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh my god.

Multiple Poochies....

Blink is so bad, I'm sorry JAF

Oh my god, the blink stuff is a minigame, oh wowwww.

Sergeant Byrd and Agent didn't control that good, but Blink looks even worse. Why do they think we wanna control nondragons in Spyro?

I have nothing against good supporting characters and liked Bianca and Faungirl a bunch, but Blinks level was longer than when you controlled Spyro.

The changes to Gems is also baffling, inflation is real on Dragon Shores/Avalar.

Respawning enemies that always drop gems is super duper annoying and I find it makes it very difficult to know where you already went.

Great, you lost all progress. What the gently caress

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 2, 2020

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Respawning enemies that always drop gems is super duper annoying and I find it makes it very difficult to know where you already went.

Great, you lost all progress. What the gently caress
Yeah it's hard and annoying to "complete" levels. :(

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Nice to see you around LPing again. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the rest of this one, A Hero's Tail was the only Spyro game I ever personally had and I never managed to finish it, both when I bought it the first time, and a couple of years ago when my sister and I tried again.

Sparx levels :argh:

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

The Sezza posted:

Nice to see you around LPing again. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the rest of this one, A Hero's Tail was the only Spyro game I ever personally had and I never managed to finish it, both when I bought it the first time, and a couple of years ago when my sister and I tried again.

Sparx levels :argh:
I am already having trouble with the Sparx levels and I know there's more to come.

100%ing this game will destroy me, won't it? D:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, it seems Eurocom made it a point to make sure this game had polish and play testing compared to EtD. It's not perfect of course but even two and three weren't this glitch free.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah, it seems Eurocom made it a point to make sure this game had polish and play testing compared to EtD. It's not perfect of course but even two and three weren't this glitch free.

Well, the PS2 version at least had some serious bugs that had a tendency to ruin save files by crashing in the middle of an auto-save. They wouldn’t only get corrupted beyond readability, though. Sometimes, if you collected something that triggered a change in the level, the game would crash. When you reloaded, the item would be gone, but the level would not have changed, making progress impossible.

Fortunately, these crashes were rare, and I only encountered the save-wrecking ones in the third world. I ended up removing the memory card and manually saving, just in case. There was still one spot that I could make crash consistently, but that was because I was doing stupid poo poo that hosed up the loading zones. The GameCube version might not even have those bugs. EtD was way more stable on GameCube, so who knows.

That said, I don’t know of any way to crash the original trilogy, beyond getting swim-in-air and swimming up ridiculously high, and I haven’t heard of any problems with the Reignited Trilogy or Legend Trilogy.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Just A Friend posted:

I am already having trouble with the Sparx levels and I know there's more to come.

100%ing this game will destroy me, won't it? D:

lol. Thank you for your service, may your sacrifice not be in vain.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Just wait until the last turret minigame. There will be many regrets.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Double Punctuation posted:

Well, the PS2 version at least had some serious bugs that had a tendency to ruin save files by crashing in the middle of an auto-save. They wouldn’t only get corrupted beyond readability, though. Sometimes, if you collected something that triggered a change in the level, the game would crash. When you reloaded, the item would be gone, but the level would not have changed, making progress impossible.

Fortunately, these crashes were rare, and I only encountered the save-wrecking ones in the third world. I ended up removing the memory card and manually saving, just in case. There was still one spot that I could make crash consistently, but that was because I was doing stupid poo poo that hosed up the loading zones. The GameCube version might not even have those bugs. EtD was way more stable on GameCube, so who knows.

That said, I don’t know of any way to crash the original trilogy, beyond getting swim-in-air and swimming up ridiculously high, and I haven’t heard of any problems with the Reignited Trilogy or Legend Trilogy.

I never had any of these problems with the PS2 version. :shrug:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

I never had any of these problems with the PS2 version. :shrug:

Same here, this is the first time I've ever even heard of this and I rented the vent before Block Buster went under.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Bonus episode! Pods aka Sintrapod aka Pandariots returns to give some thoughts on this game so far.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Was good to hear from good old pandariots again. Also I haven't watched it yet but am going to assume that Spyro's death spells the end of the franchise as we know it, and the next games will be Hunter-centric.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Was good to hear from good old pandariots again. Also I haven't watched it yet but am going to assume that Spyro's death spells the end of the franchise as we know it, and the next games will be Hunter-centric.
You're not too far from the truth concidering later in the game. Haha.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually quite like Red, he's a funny character in the few scenes he has. Like at the start of the latest video where the henchman is approaching, terrified and both of them know what's going to happen and they are just resigned to it so the conversation is purely implied. Red's not even angry at this point, he's just started a precedent and doesn't want to break it.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Lowtax sucks, so I will stop posting here henceforth.

If you want to keep up with my stuff: join my discord https://discord.gg/8hgEeuR

Aside from that, there’s links to YouTube, Patreon, Twitch and our own site in the OP of this thread.

Thanks to the good LP folks that gave me a start back in the day.

Peace.