Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a pretty new series, with only five chapters translated so far, but it's so wonderful that it should get more exposure.

https://mangadex.org/title/48045/sousou-no-frieren

The demon king has been defeated, and the hero's party must part ways. The elf mage, Frieran, goes on a journey to learn more magic spells for her ever-expanding collection. She returns to meet back up with the party and view the semicentennial meteor shower, and finds that things have changed since she's been gone.

It's a somewhat melancholy, but fun adventure, definitely one of the series I look forward to new chapters of the most now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This is a nice little series, and I will definitely follow it. The latest chapter is really awesome because it grapples so directly with the premise in a novel way: Chapter 5 has frieran returning to a place where they sealed away the Demon King's top sorcerer. Sealed away 80 years ago, this demon had developed a killing magic that was basically unstoppable. In the 80 years since human mages studied that magic and folded it into the overall magic system to the point where it became basic offense magic and present day defensive magic stops it cold. Thats great!

I really like the concept behind it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm glad you made this thread. I was thinking of doing it myself.

The first few chapters of this are excellent, especially now that they have decent translations. I hope it can maintain the pace.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
From Dark Souls, I know that mimics are instant-a-death so this is unrealistic. 1/5

Seriously though, this is good and I love Frieren's character. I'm glad this is coming out on a weekly basis.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that it's a recurring thing that she gets tricked and eaten by mimics every single time

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for making this thread, that's a really interesting manga (although as a native German speaker, the names certainly trip me up). It's a noticeably rare thing for a medieval-fantasy story to grapple with the passage of time and with historical change; the only stories of that type I can think of that takes Elves' huge lifespan seriously are Tolkien's.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
"Frieren travels to Warm"

Nooo you can't do that, stop

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man I love chapter 5. When she says "It seems 80 years is a very long time for humans" you know she's sympathizing with Qual in a way.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

L-O-N posted:

From Dark Souls, I know that mimics are instant-a-death so this is unrealistic. 1/5

Git mor vit, noob

Edit to avoid doublepost: Looks like this is currently the top-average-rated series on mangadex, sitting at 9.31.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 29, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
this is a good manga

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For another example of well-done heavy-hitting end-of-the-heroes'-journey stories, you might also try Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi, a one-shot that's also one of the highest-rated manga on mangadex.

It puts the thinnest of veils over what the "twist" is going to be, but the conclusion still hits like a truck.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

Man I love chapter 5. When she says "It seems 80 years is a very long time for humans" you know she's sympathizing with Qual in a way.

I enjoy the fact that magic defense had to evolve to overcome literal soul destruction but now it's common sense in the present times.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm amazed that all those villagers just continued staying at the village right next to the deadly demon for so many years, especially when they knew that the seal was slowly eroding with time. They didn't even build a containment chamber around him and just left him out in the open meadow like that, within walking distance of the village.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
But enough about climate change.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Catpetter1981 posted:

I'm amazed that all those villagers just continued staying at the village right next to the deadly demon for so many years, especially when they knew that the seal was slowly eroding with time. They didn't even build a containment chamber around him and just left him out in the open meadow like that, within walking distance of the village.

I feel like Qual was a Demon who would let people go. More interested in the Heroic Battle With Heroic Hero's unless i somehow already forgot if there was a panel of him annihilating the village

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This is a good manga, I'll definitely keep tabs on it.
Frieran's a great character

Catpetter1981 posted:

Hiemmel did keep coming every year and was confident Frieran would come by and put a stop to him before hte seal broke so its fiiiine.

Paracelsus posted:

For another example of well-done heavy-hitting end-of-the-heroes'-journey stories, you might also try Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimichi, a one-shot that's also one of the highest-rated manga on mangadex.

It puts the thinnest of veils over what the "twist" is going to be, but the conclusion still hits like a truck.

This is also very good though I didn't quite cop to the exact twist until the brother showed up. I was thinking a different variant on this something like the 3 were dead and somehow sticking around (as ghosts?) but Nina didnt know and they wanted to last with her on the way home

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Paracelsus posted:

Oh god I cried at this one even though I figured out what was happening almost inmediately. It was the knight's kids that slayed me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tarezax posted:

Oh god I cried at this one even though I figured out what was happening almost inmediately. It was the knight's kids that slayed me.

Everything from the colored two-page spread on is 100% feels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

very good. I saw the initial twist coming a mile away but the subsequent ones like where it ended totally got me. and actually a rather heartwarming ending, despite the tragic nature of the tale. bravo.

I happened to be listening to this as I read it and it wound up working really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwaEPT4VLZk

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Paracelsus posted:

Dammit, this one had me crying like a baby.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I'm going to steal the mage using Animate Dead/Flesh Puppet to walk the party home for a RPG round someday (and of course the loving paladin will try to smite them).

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Lurking Haro posted:

I'm going to steal the mage using Animate Dead/Flesh Puppet to walk the party home for a RPG round someday (and of course the loving paladin will try to smite them).

Yuusha Goikkou no Kaerimich spoilers
Well, there are some that think raising the dead as an evil act, something about trapping their souls or causing them spiritual pain...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New chapter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This whole chapter felt like an attack against me as a person.

It was right though

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A time progress montage that doesn't have Frieren being eaten by a mimic?? Is that even legal?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
frieran is such a dork

Catpetter1981 posted:

A time progress montage that doesn't have Frieren being eaten by a mimic?? Is that even legal?

it specifically didn't because the chest they found was just full of seaweed. :v:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

frieran is such a dork

it specifically didn't because the chest they found was just full of seaweed. :v:

The mimic drowned :(
That's why you keep them in dungeons.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Brought To You By posted:

I enjoy the fact that magic defense had to evolve to overcome literal soul destruction but now it's common sense in the present times.

That was a fun development. Of course when magic that overpowered was deployed everyone would start researching how to do it and how to defend against it.

Frieran has to be super lazy in using her magic too right? Based on the vibe of the series I don't feel like the demon king was insanely powerful in typical fantasy terms, but we're also looking at Frieran with that same 80 years of training time after saving the world. It's cliche and all, but I'd welcome an issue or arc that shows her really cutting loose.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new chapter
continuing the subtle and not so subtle tradition of Frieren getting owned.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

new chapter
continuing the subtle and not so subtle tradition of Frieren getting owned.

1000 years later and her master still gets to be smug about being right
There also looks to be a page missing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Yo this manga continues to be a delight and full of small surprises.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://mangadex.org/chapter/935361/1

BUY A HORSE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have a feeling they're going to meet Eisen's spirit when they get to Ende

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter. Always remember this advice from Jesus

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Nice chapter. Himmel phantom asking to be shot and Frieren being like Doi , and then the panel of Fern wombo comboing the demon+heiter were great.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New chapter

Ah dragon hunting. Knighthoods highest calling.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I see where this series might be going, and that leaves at least one more pupil to acquire.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New chapter

The showdown with the deadly dragon begins.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's small.

I love the tiny panel jokes like Frieran trying to pull Fern off that tree or trying to carry her own body mass in treasure. They remind me of how Delicious in Dungeon is jam packed with jokes.

I kind of expect that this manga is going to end with Frieran outliving everyone in this party as well, and then a montage page of all the other parties she outlives in the future, and then we all cry a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

It's small.

I love the tiny panel jokes like Frieran trying to pull Fern off that tree or trying to carry her own body mass in treasure. They remind me of how Delicious in Dungeon is jam packed with jokes.

I kind of expect that this manga is going to end with Frieran outliving everyone in this party as well, and then a montage page of all the other parties she outlives in the future, and then we all cry a lot.

Frieran hasn't even finished outliving everyone in her first party yet, since Eisen is still around.