Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Snout continuing the proud tradition from the original Deegan of showing his naked rear end to children.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What are we supposed to be taking from any of this? We got several days of Snout being deaf Mr. Magoo and then suddenly it's redemption for the villain time? Jesus gently caress it's like the plot progression is going backwards.

I know you're right since this is an orc and inkwich is the only non-mongrelfolk in mongreltown, but Arudak looks much younger and completely different here due to the lack of consistency. I thought it was just some random orc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wearing the cloak made him look much older, yeah. If he's supposed to not be super-old the art of him previously did not convey that at all.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

maltesh posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the bathhouse didn't let him keep the towel. On the other hand, Snout is generally prone to fleeing instead of asking for minimal assistance.

If Snout (or the bathhouse) acted at all rationally he wouldn't be able to put himself in the goofy scenario Mookie wrote. That round peg MUST BE RAMMED INTO THAT SQUARE HOLE!!!

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know you're right since this is an orc and inkwich is the only non-mongrelfolk in mongreltown, but Arudak looks much younger and completely different here due to the lack of consistency. I thought it was just some random orc.

Yeah I actually went back and compared and I'm 99% sure it's him, it's just the first time we've seen him without his cloak. In fact it's because his cloak is the thing he's giving Snout to wear.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The way this comic handles nudity makes me uncomfortable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh yeah, isn't Snout supposed to be totally comfortable with nudity? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to end up without clothes for some reason and to think it's no big deal? But no, that character trait was dropped when Mookie decided it was time for bashful naked cuddles with the Ink Witch.

Snout doesn't act all act like someone who's lived his entire life away from other people - why did he ever live alone in the Wild Edge if he was so well read and curious about the world, dropped his home like a wet blanket the moment he needed a certain book, and got so excited about Mongreltown? Why had he never even heard of Mongreltown (since it's clearly only within a few days' walking distance of his home)?

It occurs to me, once again, that I'm putting more thought into this than Mookie did. Snout was a hermit because that was the setting Mookie wanted, and now he's not because this is now the setting Mookie wants. Not because of anything related to his character or motiviations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

maltesh posted:

At this point, I'm expecting a clumsy "Arudak stole his clothes" reveal.

If this comic was well written, it would've been the Ink Witch trying to force him to be reliant on her again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I would like to know the last time Mookie had a backlog, where he sat down and planned out or drew a week of strips or so in advance. Because it feels like he sits down and writes whatever he feels like each day and forgets where he was going in earlier strips.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Never. Not ever. He does explicitly sit down and poo poo something out new a few times a week.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, why does Snout care about being seen naked now?

Alakantar
Apr 8, 2009

Kavak posted:

I would like to know the last time Mookie had a backlog, where he sat down and planned out or drew a week of strips or so in advance. Because it feels like he sits down and writes whatever he feels like each day and forgets where he was going in earlier strips.
I'm sure someone out there remembers better than me, but there was maybe a week's period during the Deegan years where he had a buffer. But it was gone pretty quickly because he hated not having spontaneity. It was in a newspost of that era, but that's all gone now with his revised site.

EDIT: Found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/20180329103529/https://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2012-01-06

Mookie posted:

[...]This week has been weird. I've had a buffer of comics prepared for most of the week, which I haven't had for years. That buffer is now gone, and to be honest I'm relieved. My sense of "what happens next" was a little off as I was working on comics a day or two ahead of the update schedule. But now that my buffer is gone (thanks to a combination of Star Wars and babysitting) things will be back to normal for me next week.[...]

Alakantar fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 28, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like to think Mookie would literally forget what was happening if he wasn't constantly writing down things as he thought of them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's nice to not even have to think about the audience's entertainment.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

Because his personality changes depending on the needs of the "plot."

TheHan posted:

I like to think Mookie would literally forget what was happening if he wasn't constantly writing down things as he thought of them.
He does. This is why the comic is so heavily reliant on characters restating what happened in the comic immediately before, because he doesn't have a buffer/plan ahead.

Alakantar posted:

I'm sure someone out there remembers better than me, but there was maybe a week's period during the Deegan years where he had a buffer. But it was gone pretty quickly because he hated not having spontaneity. It was in a newspost of that era, but that's all gone now with his revised site.

EDIT: Found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/20180329103529/https://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2012-01-06
Ohhhh yeah, I remember this. Still, a week out of the last 20 years is more or less like not having one. Excellent find.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh yeah, isn't Snout supposed to be totally comfortable with nudity? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to end up without clothes for some reason and to think it's no big deal? But no, that character trait was dropped when Mookie decided it was time for bashful naked cuddles with the Ink Witch.

Snout doesn't act all act like someone who's lived his entire life away from other people - why did he ever live alone in the Wild Edge if he was so well read and curious about the world, dropped his home like a wet blanket the moment he needed a certain book, and got so excited about Mongreltown? Why had he never even heard of Mongreltown (since it's clearly only within a few days' walking distance of his home)?

It occurs to me, once again, that I'm putting more thought into this than Mookie did. Snout was a hermit because that was the setting Mookie wanted, and now he's not because this is now the setting Mookie wants. Not because of anything related to his character or motiviations.

Also, if perv mongrel is to judge, Mongrelfolk don't care about nudity either. Well, until just now because as you said, Mookie wanted it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mors Rattus posted:

Read your Bible, heathen.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

The way this comic handles nudity makes me uncomfortable.

The way this comic does everything makes me uncomfortable.

Arduak is about to be redeemed as good but grouchy, but Ink Witch will still be good but suspicious of him, replacing the faintest slivers of dramatic tension with wet farting.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Alakantar posted:

Mookie posted:

This week has been weird. I've had a buffer of comics prepared for most of the week, which I haven't had for years. That buffer is now gone, and to be honest I'm relieved. My sense of "what happens next" was a little off as I was working on comics a day or two ahead of the update schedule. But now that my buffer is gone (thanks to a combination of Star Wars and babysitting) things will be back to normal for me next week.

Oh yeah, we talked about that blurb in the original thread, back all those years ago. It's basic confirmation for anyone who wants to know that he doesn't storyboard these things. He's doing these comics for himself, even down to the "and now what happens" he has to dream every time he sits down to create a comic. Not knowing where his story is going day by day is exciting for Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

While we're mostly talking about character motivations right now, I was reading Drogune and it struck me how much better the worldbuilding is. Currently one of the characters is reading to another a propagandist children's book that introduces you to the setting and races, while also setting up the politics of the situation and how the protagonists relate to it (through corrections someone has jotted down throughout the book). It's clever, organic, and engaging.

Mookie's done none of that. If he's actually planned out this world, there's no evidence. It reads more like a newbie DM just throwing in a bunch of set pieces because they sound cool with no regard for how the larger world might look.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, that's neat. Definitely gonna bookmark that in my good webcomics to read later folder. Thanks.

In one or more of Greg Stolze's ttrpgs (I think it was "Unknown Armies," but It might've been in some other places too,) when discussing the preparation of exposition for PCs to find, he said that generally speaking, depending on how well they do, it shouldn't be more than two of the following: unbiased, accurate, easy to understand. The various combinations of these factors provide interesting dynamics on how PCs interact with information, especially when they compare info from more than one source to see what's going on. If a source of info checks all three of these boxes, then it should probably be something that you just tell the PCs rather than making them work for it, since it's not going to motivate action, advance plot, or develop character. This philosophy, I believe is useful in writing fiction as well, especially when dealing with plots that are about investigating mysteries.

It's at play in some of the old "Vampire: the Masquerade" books as well with the way a lot of the lore in the form of in-universe artifacts are presented. It'll always be like, someone's diary, or a secret message that was passed from one Camarilla to another, but was intercepted by a Sabbat agent and is being deciphered with the help of another Sabbat, it's never just someone sitting down and delivering exposition to someone else, and I find that makes the material much more engaging.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, that's neat. Definitely gonna bookmark that in my good webcomics to read later folder. Thanks.

In one or more of Greg Stolze's ttrpgs (I think it was "Unknown Armies," but It might've been in some other places too,) when discussing the preparation of exposition for PCs to find, he said that generally speaking, depending on how well they do, it shouldn't be more than two of the following: unbiased, accurate, easy to understand. The various combinations of these factors provide interesting dynamics on how PCs interact with information, especially when they compare info from more than one source to see what's going on. If a source of info checks all three of these boxes, then it should probably be something that you just tell the PCs rather than making them work for it, since it's not going to motivate action, advance plot, or develop character. This philosophy, I believe is useful in writing fiction as well, especially when dealing with plots that are about investigating mysteries.

It's at play in some of the old "Vampire: the Masquerade" books as well with the way a lot of the lore in the form of in-universe artifacts are presented. It'll always be like, someone's diary, or a secret message that was passed from one Camarilla to another, but was intercepted by a Sabbat agent and is being deciphered with the help of another Sabbat, it's never just someone sitting down and delivering exposition to someone else, and I find that makes the material much more engaging.

For being primarily TTRPG rulebooks, pretty much all of Stolze's books have a lot of segments that function as pretty good narrative fiction advice.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Absolutely. He's a really cool guy. I got to work with him on his latest game, "Termination Shock," and am currently playing an "Unknown Armies" campaign with him. It's a blast.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kinda jealous. I have all the books for UA2 and UA3 but have never actually gotten a campaign going of either.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

You and he apparently have that in common. My fiancee offered to run and he said he has never actually played UA.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Imagine being someone who was excited for Mookie to do comics again and this is what you get lmao.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have finally gotten something of value out of this thread!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DamnitGannet posted:

Imagine being someone who was excited for Mookie to do comics again and this is what you get lmao.
Honestly if anyone was unironically excited for Mookie to poo poo out make another comic, would they not enjoy this?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DamnitGannet posted:

I dunno, if I imagine I’m Mookie I might get stuck that way

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Honestly if anyone was unironically excited for Mookie to poo poo out make another comic, would they not enjoy this?

Meanwhile, we're ironically enjoying Mookie fill in a couple squares of webcomic bingo that were left out of the original Deegan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I have finally gotten something of value out of this thread!

Same! A black and white fantasy webcomic with non-human protagonists that's well written, beautifully drawn and doesn't have bizarre hang-ups with women and boobs in particular.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Arudak apologizes for his behavior and offers his resources to Snout, while the Ink Witch accepted no accountability for her actions and still expected his trust. So close. It's so close to saying anything at all.

Also, Nighthawks I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mookie accidentally drew a better penis in the background of Nighthawvks than he has for the rest of the comic so far.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He probably googled people at a diner.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ague Proof posted:

He probably googled people at a diner.

It's probably the most famous diner painting in the world, Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. It seems likely he'll mention it in a blog post, because people are going to notice this one.

Edit: Beaten by nearly an hour. I need to read more carefully before posting.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 31, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Actually it's an original composition by Michael Terracciano.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And in case anyone's wondering, filename.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Okay, first of all how are you gonna trace Nighthawks and think people won't notice?

Second, how are you gonna change it so the server is trapped inside some weird Isosceles Trapezoid counter?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is literally the least dramatic way you can have a character do any kind of redemption.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Change.org petition to have the Ink Witch just disappear from the comic and turn it into Orc Mage and his Gross Stupid Boyfriend Have Dumb Sexy Adventures because it's the only thing that could save it at this point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He clearly has no idea what he wants the characters or their dynamic to be anymore. All his notecards fell on the floor and he's trying to wing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything