Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ConfusedUs posted:

I can’t be the only person who actually likes Titan AE, can I?
I like it. it ain't perfect, but I enjoyed it.

preed's a pretty great moustache-twirling bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
This cartoon is weird as balls but the songs own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPb94X0NJE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ConfusedUs posted:

Titan AE is what happens when you take a bunch of beautiful CGI and then let Don Bluth draw all over it.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And ironically, this wasn't Katzenberg (god, late Eisner Disney was a goddamn mess).

The work that Eisner and Katzenberg did in rebuilding The Walt Disney Company in the '80s cannot be overstated. They saved the company from a hostile takeover attempt by Hilton, they revitalized the animation studio, Katzenberg discovered Pixar and brought them into the fold, and some truly amazing films resulted from their tenure.

After Frank Wells (who hated Eisner but ran interference for him) died, though, the whole thing went to poo poo. Eisner went power-hungry and began to see himself as the heir to Walt Disney's legacy. loving oof, all the poo poo he did with ABC was criminal.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Neon Noodle posted:

This cartoon is weird as balls but the songs own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPb94X0NJE

I remember seeing this as a kid but couldn't find it for years, but man Pock is such an insufferable dipshit who never once learned anything about not being a selfish, impulsive idiot, and remained thoroughly unlikeable.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ConfusedUs posted:

I enjoyed Titan AE and had the soundtrack. That was middle school me though, and I haven't seen it since. Sorry current day me can't offer you solidarity.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Timby posted:

Titan AE is what happens when you take a bunch of beautiful CGI and then let Don Bluth draw all over it.

Titan AE is what happens when you take a story about humanity being forced to leave their homeland and then let Joss Whedon write all over it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It had a very of its time soundtrack, and not in a bad way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njRH_EDfLpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlMOblghiQ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man I haven't watched Titan: AE since it came out when I was a kid. I... have no idea if it holds up or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only thing I remember about Titan AE is the Planet Bob joke but I maintain that is a good joke.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Titan AE's teaser trailer of blowing up the earth while wonderful world plays is what I judge all teaser trailers by.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I still like Titan AE and I am fully willing to admit it is strong nostalgia effect

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing I remember about Titan AE is the Planet Bob joke but I maintain that is a good joke.
"New Earth (Planet Bob)" is a fantastic joke.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Barudak posted:

Titan AE's teaser trailer of blowing up the earth while wonderful world plays is what I judge all teaser trailers by.

That wasn't Titan A.E., that was the Hitchhiker's Guide movie!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Say, does anybody know WHY Treasure Planet bombed the way it did? Because it's not at traditional Disney fairy tale, perhaps?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Having watched Treasure Planet a few weeks ago, I can say it bombed because it sucked. I watched Hunchback around the same time and that was a lot more enjoyable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Disney movies started trailing off when they abandoned the traditional musical format. Maybe I’m wrong, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Treasure planet is good except for Martin Short's character.

Honestly, I think the bomb is for couple of reasons:

1: Starting with Hunchback, it was basically "The Cool Thing" to do is hating Disney, so kids going 'I don't wanna see a *baby* movie' at the time.

2: Moving away from musical format turns off older Disney fans, and Treasure Planet was too early to get some benefits from the steampunk trend.

3: Atlantis already bombed despite a massive campaign, so people are already wary of spending money on a movie that might not be good, and Disney didn't hawk Treasure Planet as much as they did with Atlantis.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wait, really? With Hunchback? The most "adult" Disney film out there?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, really? With Hunchback? The most "adult" Disney film out there?

It's kind of weird, but yeah I was in the age range, even Hunchback got some 'too kiddy' response from kids my age, it's kind of a spillover from the earlier, more kid-friendly films even if applied unfairly to Hunchback.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Martin Short robot character didn't bother me that I can remember. At least he had a personality, unlike the main character. What an inoffensive nothing of a character. The dog accountant character was more fun to watch than boring teenager.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think making yet another treasure island rehash is what people wanted.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hard to pinpoint because they were all around the same time, but I always put the downturn right around Pocahontas, which has its own host of problems aside from having to follow The Lion King. (I'm not the biggest fan of TLK personally, but it's objectively pretty impressive.) And I agree that regardless of the quality of the movies, their target audience was getting "too cool" for them, and the attempts to grab their attention didn't work.
And of course, Pixar was the new hotness. Toy Story came out between Pocahontas and Hunchback. Kind of a perfect storm really.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 30, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I mean, the main character had a personality, although not much of one, and certainly not an original one. He was this kind of rebel boy who wanted to see more than his little planetoid and didn't much care for authority figures.

Incidentally, it's terrible that they cut off the feline captain from the third act with that wound or poison or whatever it was. Boo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

It's kind of weird, but yeah I was in the age range, even Hunchback got some 'too kiddy' response from kids my age, it's kind of a spillover from the earlier, more kid-friendly films even if applied unfairly to Hunchback.

Might have been a result of Disney oversaturation in the 90s, their reputation started working against them. There's a reason they were looking out for a reliable franchise for boys for a long while before they finally got to buy Disney and Marvel.

Doesn't help that Disney seemed eager to enforce a strict division between movies and TV for the most part; the Disney Afternoon was ridiculously popular but seemed to be locked up tight in the vault until recently. Movies could get spinoff shows (I think Lilo and Stitch was the last big one) but shows rarely if ever graduated into theatrical movies, though I think the DuckTales movie underperforming might have influenced that.

That and it seems Disney overall seemed almost ashamed of stuff that DID have appeal to older male and mixed demographics, Kingdom Hearts comes to mind.

Sir Lemming posted:

And of course, Pixar was the new hotness. Toy Story came out between Pocahontas and Hunchback. Kind of a perfect storm really.

I think this might be it. Pixar was managing to make the multi-demographic appeal blockbusters that broke the rules while Disney's formulaic animated features were a victim of their own ubiquity. Everyone knew what they were getting. Kind of the reason why the early trailers for Lilo and Stitch was Stitch intruding on the trailers for Aladdin and such, they were desperate to show that this wasn't your dad's Disney movie.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 30, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't help that Disney seemed eager to enforce a strict division between movies and TV for the most part; the Disney Afternoon was ridiculously popular but seemed to be locked up tight in the vault until recently. Movies could get spinoff shows (I think Lilo and Stitch was the last big one) but shows rarely if ever graduated into theatrical movies, though I think the DuckTales movie underperforming might have influenced that.

I think that's honestly a large part, they had planned on making movies for other Disney Afternoon shows, but Treasure of the Lost Lamp only recoup it's budget. And Rescuers Down Under didn't do so great, so there goes the more Action-oriented animation, favoring the safer traditional musicals.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
They did do one for Teacher's Pet though, it just massively fuckin bombed

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The thing I remember about Titan AE is that its tone was all over the place, and sometimes it would awkwardly insert silly jokes for a very young audience. This was the opinion of my 10 year old self though. I haven't seen the movie since.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I definitely remember being down on Disney after Pocahontas, even though I never watched it, it just seemed to be the most "not for me" thing I could imagine.

I really liked Rescuers Down Under though, and one of my earliest cinema memories is seeing 101 Dalmatians in a theater (I guess they did theatrical rereleases of it in the late 80s/early 90s?).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I feel like Disney movies started trailing off when they abandoned the traditional musical format. Maybe I’m wrong, though.
Lion King is the definite peak of the renaissance. With the following films being varying degrees of good to ok:
Pocahontas was too sanitized

Hunchback had the gargoyles and, again, sanitized. Music was good but it wasn't going to sell soundtracks to kids.

Hercules was an insult to greek myth with what they did to Hera. Again, good music but it lacked that Ashman touch.

Mulan had Eddie Murphy and an abundance of cute animal sidekicks, and a weak villain.

Tarzan ... yeah ugh. Definitely the low point before things get loving bad and the end of the renaissance.

That said, I think Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch were loving classics and I kick myself all the time for not watching them in theatres. Even though those two films veer far, far away from the Disney Musical mold, the stories and characterization are great. And the art in Lilo is inclusive and different.

They really did flounder without Ashman's ability to channel alt-musical theatre into the films, though. The late 90s era is all the Little Mermaid kids growing into teens and not finding much in the films, sadly.

It also needs to be said that Eisner was busy releasing Pinnocchio 3- Blue Fairy's Day Off direct-to-video at this time so the brand was definitely being tarnished

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 30, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Hercules was an insult to greek myth with what they did to Hera. Again, good music but it lacked that Ashman touch.

The thing is, though, Hercules isn't really trying to be faithful to Greek mythology. I'd go as far as to say that that and Hunchback needed some degree of sanitation before being peddled to kids. I doubt the average ten years old would have survived unscarred from watching the protagonist he's been cheering for kill his own wife and children.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The thing I remember about Titan AE is that its tone was all over the place, and sometimes it would awkwardly insert silly jokes for a very young audience. This was the opinion of my 10 year old self though. I haven't seen the movie since.

I watched the whole thing again about a year ago. It's enjoyable, doesn't condescend to the adults or children who might be watching, and is surprisingly dark. Also people who are cooped up with each other while doing dangerous things tend to make stupid jokes about bodily functions and whatnot. Just goes with the territory. Titan AE might never belong in the pantheon of all-time great animated movies, but it is pretty good for what it is

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Disney's Tarzan is still the only good Tarzan movie there is

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Hercules is really good. This song is still a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoJvu8PF7Q

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I bet the live action Hercules is gonna get rid of the muses

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

paradoxGentleman posted:

Say, does anybody know WHY Treasure Planet bombed the way it did? Because it's not at traditional Disney fairy tale, perhaps?

youtube recommended this video to me a few weeks back and it does some good deep diving into many of the whys of Treasure Planet bombing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sycdSkngA

I remember when Treasure Planet came out, I had not heard of it until about 1 month before its release (it released the same time as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) and that was ONLY because the ads for the Harry Potter clips I was watching were ads for Treasure Planet. I got huge Atlantis vibes from the ads so I told my sibling the two of us were going to go see it since no one else in the family seemed too keen on it. There was maybe 6 people in the theatre when we saw it, first time in my life I had ever been in an empty theatre but I still thought the movie was awesome

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
John Silver is like, a marvel of animation and it's sad to see that never getting appreciated

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ConfusedUs posted:

It's been a few years since I've sat down to watch it, but I actually will stand up for this one, yeah. The movie does suffer from being in the transition phase of cel animation to CGI, where they were still sorting how to make everything work together. But there are some shots that are cool - I remember a panning shot around the bridge of the ship that was a bit more multiplanar than in Atlantis. I'm generically a sucker for putting humanity in an interesting place as a hook for a sci-fi, space faring plot. And I think Korso and Cale's relationship is well written (and performed), which is more than you can say about, say, Milo and Rourke.

Also, weird fact, Ebert fuckin loved Titan A.E.

Macaluso posted:

I bet the live action Hercules is gonna get rid of the muses

They really can't. They either have the best numbers or sing backup in them, and replacing them in ways that don't feel extremely weird plot wise would nearly impossible. And they're natural places to insert african-american gospel voices, which would be an insane place to cut in a number of ways.

Anyway, we watched Lion King 2 tonight. Good movie (ignoring the obvious "where were all these lions in the first movie?") but boy howdy you can really tell they spent all the money getting 90% of the original voice cast back. Characters stayed on model, but so many of the shots were comically static. Lots of "lions standing in front of sky." A huge lol at Zira's death, where they just take one frame of animation for her entire fall. A couple of the songs could have used another pass, but it's really hard to measure up to the original. My Lullaby is still a spectacular number.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 31, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
treasure planet bombed because it was expensive to make and so disney didn't bother advertising it and let it die, paving the way to killing off all future 2d animation forever, as part of their plan

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

John Silver is like, a marvel of animation and it's sad to see that never getting appreciated

Everything Glen Keane touched was gold and his versatility was incredible. I don’t care that he’s won an academy award, he has not received his due in the general conversation on the Disney Renaissance.

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

Boxman posted:

Anyway, we watched Lion King 2 tonight. Good movie (ignoring the obvious "where were all these lions in the first movie?") but boy howdy you can really tell they spent all the money getting 90% of the original voice cast back. Characters stayed on model, but so many of the shots were comically static. Lots of "lions standing in front of sky." A huge lol at Zira's death, where they just take one frame of animation for her entire fall. A couple of the songs could have used another pass, but it's really hard to measure up to the original. My Lullaby is still a spectacular number.

To be fair to Zira's death, that was down to cutting to hide the fact that she actually killed herself there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoctlRyGdf8

It's such a shame Lion King 2 was at the very start of the DVD craze. Imagine if it had the same animation quality as the goddamn Timon and Pumbaa movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dirksteadfast posted:

Everything Glen Keane touched was gold and his versatility was incredible. I don’t care that he’s won an academy award, he has not received his due in the general conversation on the Disney Renaissance.

I have a handful of his original production roughs and they are soooo good.