Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Svengoolie is hands down the best horror host still in the game, and he should definitely get more recognition, he’s been showing some stone cold classics on MeTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

feedmyleg posted:

There's also Twich

Not any more, not like it was back in the Justin.tv days. I miss the days when you could get away with streaming entire movies if nobody told on you and it wasn't 90% video games streams. Yeah, technically you could risk doing that still and there are other sites for that but the ease-of-use of the Justin.tv days of Twitch are gone now. RedLetterMedia used to do a yearly New Year's movie stream curated by Jay, but he gave it up after only a few years.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VoodooXT posted:

I’m still a little sour that Shudder went with Joe Bob instead of Elvira.

is she still pitching a show like that? I'm surprised she isn't/no ones offered. I know she was on the con circuit, but that's pretty much gone till Q2 2021.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
She said Shudder rejected her post-Joe Bob.

King Vidiot posted:

Not any more, not like it was back in the Justin.tv days. I miss the days when you could get away with streaming entire movies if nobody told on you and it wasn't 90% video games streams. Yeah, technically you could risk doing that still and there are other sites for that but the ease-of-use of the Justin.tv days of Twitch are gone now. RedLetterMedia used to do a yearly New Year's movie stream curated by Jay, but he gave it up after only a few years.

Yeah, those were good times. But I think there are still channels that do public domain movies like YouTube horror hosts do.

e: Elvira should just start a Twitch channel and show public domain movies or play horror video games or something. It'd probably be more popular than having a Shudder show.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 28, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Origami Dali posted:

Somewhat related, I've been thinking about this kind of thing lately. Watching a movie or show on scheduled television felt like a collective, connective thing for me. I remember watching schlock poo poo on USA Up All Night, early MST3K, a late night showing of a horror anthology series, or some reeeeally bizarre poo poo like WeirdTV that we could only pick up on a long range satellite dish, and knowing that thousands of others were watching at the same time, and I found something comforting about that. Movies and shows were big campfires that we gathered around together, even if we never met each other. There was something to that feeling that fragmented digital self-service doesn't capture. At least, not yet.

Pluto TV is the only streaming service that comes anywhere near the weirdness and general vibe of 90s tv. There's no control over it like a netflix or hulu type thing. What ever's on is what's on and there's no pausing or anything. Plus there's all kinds of crazy poo poo and channels that play b-horror and kung fu movies. There's also an MST3K channel.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Comet rules and it's free, you guys are nuts.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I mean, they aired the Video Dead and the Gate 2 last year. I wouldn't have survived staying up all night with infants if it wasn't for thier MS3K marathons.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Holy poo poo an Elvira twitch show would be so goddamn good. Just turn off comments I guess. I don’t want anyone insulting Elvira under any circumstances.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dorium posted:

Holy poo poo an Elvira twitch show would be so goddamn good. Just turn off comments I guess. I don’t want anyone insulting Elvira under any circumstances.
Yeah, maybe pair her up with a guy or girl to play the games and run color commentary. That would be sweet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Twitch does streams of movies and TV shows too, so it wouldn't need to be a video game stream.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow’s first UHD will be Pitch Black

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

Arrow’s first UHD will be Pitch Black

:stare:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard to say how Pitch Black will translate to UHD. It's a very CG heavy film and the movie does a really nice job of hiding the limitations of the effects but I'm not sure cranking up the resolution is going to do it any favors.

That said, the HDR will be a huge upgrade for the movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Twitch does streams of movies and TV shows too, so it wouldn't need to be a video game stream.

You have to be the copyright owner though unless you want to get shut down. Like if Elvira appeared courtesy of Shout! she could only host movies in the Shout! catalog.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Svengoolie is hands down the best horror host still in the game, and he should definitely get more recognition, he’s been showing some stone cold classics on MeTV.

Svengoolie is great, but I feel like the show has sort of become a victim of its own success now that he can show more “classic” movies. It’s great that he can finally show the original Dracula in HD, but I miss the days when the movie was a garbage print of “Octaman.” I’m sure Koz doesn’t, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

You have to be the copyright owner though unless you want to get shut down. Like if Elvira appeared courtesy of Shout! she could only host movies in the Shout! catalog.

Yeah.

I remember when Twitch was Justin.tv and you could stream whatever you uploaded. Great times. Outer Heaven used to stream using it. I even hosted it for a month.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Speaking of Shout, they have their own twitch channel that's always on. I watched it a year or so ago when they were showing some old super sentai series to see what they were like.

I have no idea if it's region locked.

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1266376461474136066?s=20

Note: Flash Gordon is US/CA only because UK rights are with StudioCanal (they have their own edition coming out around the same time) while Universal has North American rights.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll be getting that Flash for sure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He writes for Taki’s Magazine, a nazi publication. He started in 2011, when he would have been handing his stuff off directly to Richard Spencer.

He stopped a while back. Diana Prince aka Darcy the Mail Girl had a thread on the entire thing a while back. I really get the impression from how she talks about Joe Bob is that he's more of an old man who just doesn't fuckin get why writing for some guys who treated him well is a bad thing. She had to explain it to him, but he stopped. It seems like she's the kind of person who can actually get through to him. He was also talking poo poo about Nancy Reagan and talking in a way about other political stuff I wouldn't expect him to talk in his recent episodes. He's still an old man from Texas though, but I don't think he's an actual Nazi. Just dumb.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1266376461474136066?s=20

Note: Flash Gordon is US/CA only because UK rights are with StudioCanal (they have their own edition coming out around the same time) while Universal has North American rights.

"Lost in Space: Nic Roeg’s Flash Gordon – a new documentary program exploring the version Roeg (The Man Who Fell to Earth) had originally planned to make with producer Dino De Laurentiis"

How have I never heard about this?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

He stopped a while back. Diana Prince aka Darcy the Mail Girl had a thread on the entire thing a while back. I really get the impression from how she talks about Joe Bob is that he's more of an old man who just doesn't fuckin get why writing for some guys who treated him well is a bad thing. She had to explain it to him, but he stopped. It seems like she's the kind of person who can actually get through to him. He was also talking poo poo about Nancy Reagan and talking in a way about other political stuff I wouldn't expect him to talk in his recent episodes. He's still an old man from Texas though, but I don't think he's an actual Nazi. Just dumb.

I wish they would just give the show to her. She certainly knows the subject well enough to be a host.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Doctor Teeth posted:

Speaking of Shout, they have their own twitch channel that's always on. I watched it a year or so ago when they were showing some old super sentai series to see what they were like.

I have no idea if it's region locked.

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

i honestly don't think we region lock anything on the site, maybe only the Thursday Night Football or w/e weird one-off stuff

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It's region locked.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
drat that's pretty new sucks

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I wish they would just give the show to her. She certainly knows the subject well enough to be a host.

The only issue is she's not really great on camera yet. She still she a bit nervous sometimes. I'd be totally in favor of her taking over at some point though if she can get as confident on camera as she is on Twitter.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Boinks posted:

Comet rules and it's free, you guys are nuts.

It's owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, that's a deal breaker for a lot of people who know what they are.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Vince MechMahon posted:

The only issue is she's not really great on camera yet. She still she a bit nervous sometimes. I'd be totally in favor of her taking over at some point though if she can get as confident on camera as she is on Twitter.

Yeah, she has no screen presence whatsoever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Yeah, she has no screen presence whatsoever.

She's on the right side of history though, out at the protests in Santa Monica. So yeah, keep her around Joe Bob and get him to be less of a chud so I can continue having good memories of monster vision.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Just got The Fifth Element 4K. It’s beautiful, but man, the CGI really does not hold up. Those driving/taxi scenes early in, ouch.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Dawn of the Dead's new blu/UHD is up for pre-order now: https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/coll...th-october-2020

International shipping is available on Zavvi.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Just got The Fifth Element 4K. It’s beautiful, but man, the CGI really does not hold up. Those driving/taxi scenes early in, ouch.

Really? I agree that a lot of the CG doesn't hold up, but I was always really impressed with how the New York City scenes looked. And they looked much better than the similar scenes on Coruscant in Attack of the Clones.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wake_N_Bake posted:

It's a 20+ year old movie so I think that's to be expected. Overall though the movie doesn't depend on CG very much which is why it's such a great UHD.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

Really? I agree that a lot of the CG doesn't hold up, but I was always really impressed with how the New York City scenes looked. And they looked much better than the similar scenes on Coruscant in Attack of the Clones.

Oh yeah, the city and buildings look good. The cars and compositing not so much. I’m not complaining! It’s loving gorgeous, I’m just being nit picky. 🙂

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think compositing is the main issue with the majority of CGI before, say, a decade ago. I remember watching some behind the scenes work from Revenge of the Sith and watching them take live action footage that looked terrific and slowly make it look more and more fake though layer after layer of poor compositing. By the end the final shot looked like a cartoon compared to the live-action footage.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I think compositing is the main issue with the majority of CGI before, say, a decade ago. I remember watching some behind the scenes work from Revenge of the Sith and watching them take live action footage that looked terrific and slowly make it look more and more fake though layer after layer of poor compositing. By the end the final shot looked like a cartoon compared to the live-action footage.

Lets be honest here, RotS would look exactly the same it was made today.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also keep in mind that The Fifth Element is a full five years before the similar scene in Attack of the Clones. So it was a very ambitious scene for 1997.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Attack of the Clones and ROTS always looked like deep fried dogshit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I don’t remember if it was here or the horror thread with the Romero ‘Martin’ 4K interest, but update:

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1267460555100565504?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I don’t remember if it was here or the horror thread with the Romero ‘Martin’ 4K interest, but update:

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1267460555100565504?s=21

It was me. But I don't have an all regions player. Such is life.