Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

perc2 posted:

It's awesome! My only thing is from a compositional point of view - the canvas is square, and the character is crammed in there especially at the top, which feels suffocating. It would have been better to extend the canvas upwards to give some breathing room and cut off the left side with the skeleton; since you've given too much focus to it by having it occupy that negative space.

Thank you. I think it's good advice. I'll try to take it into consideration when I work on a new drawing.

In the meantime here is a commission drawing of a D&D character - Warforged Monk:

and this post apocalyptic landscape with gecko drawing commission for a goon:

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hellbeard posted:

My favourite thing in this image is how the bearded guy looks kind of exasperated or embarrassed. Uggh a giant gecko, how gauche.

My niece fell passionately in love with a ladybird and wanted to take it home.

e: ugh I fixed her eyes so they actually match but I ain't taking the picture again

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 30, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Hellbeard posted:

Thank you. I think it's good advice. I'll try to take it into consideration when I work on a new drawing.

In the meantime here is a commission drawing of a D&D character - Warforged Monk:

This is pretty great. Been awesome to see your work progress so much.
As for me... I don't think I have drawn a single thing since this pandemic started. Some people make art to relieve anxiety. In my case I can't seem to focus on art at all anymore. Too much chaos going on around me all the time and the feeling that I can't get away from it because of stay at home orders. It occurs to me that so much drawing I used to do in social places like bars or clubs or makerspaces but not so much at home. I live with 6+ people, so it seems like there is always some kind of drama and the lockdown is making people particularly crazy / edgy etc.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

As for me... I don't think I have drawn a single thing since this pandemic started. Some people make art to relieve anxiety. In my case I can't seem to focus on art at all anymore. Too much chaos going on around me all the time and the feeling that I can't get away from it because of stay at home orders. It occurs to me that so much drawing I used to do in social places like bars or clubs or makerspaces but not so much at home. I live with 6+ people, so it seems like there is always some kind of drama and the lockdown is making people particularly crazy / edgy etc.

That makes sense in a way, though. It's hard to create something when you can't immerse yourself into what you're doing. People leave strangers alone whereas at home there's a level of intimacy between housemates whether they're related or not. And lockdown is, well, lockdown. All the rules for normal life have changed. It feels bad for everybody, but in different ways.

I haven't been posting much, but still making art every day. When I hit a wall on drawing, I go to painting, and vice versa. Giving myself only an hour on portraits feels good. I've let myself go hog wild by saying "let's just complete this no matter how long it takes" and nearly every one of the longer pieces ends up becoming subtraction by addition. With the quickies I feel like I'm making better decisions, even though some parts end up sloppy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Halogens posted:

I haven't been posting much, but still making art every day. When I hit a wall on drawing, I go to painting, and vice versa. Giving myself only an hour on portraits feels good. I've let myself go hog wild by saying "let's just complete this no matter how long it takes" and nearly every one of the longer pieces ends up becoming subtraction by addition. With the quickies I feel like I'm making better decisions, even though some parts end up sloppy.

I love this loose style! They have so much life.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I love this loose style! They have so much life.

Thank you! I've found that after playing around a bit the looseness helps versus trying to get details 100% correct. It's also a helluva lot of fun.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

HopperUK posted:

My favourite thing in this image is how the bearded guy looks kind of exasperated or embarrassed. Uggh a giant gecko, how gauche.

My niece fell passionately in love with a ladybird and wanted to take it home.

e: ugh I fixed her eyes so they actually match but I ain't taking the picture again

Haha! Yes, thank you. I think these weird gestures invite some kind of sarcastic storytelling - that the characters see themselves in a mundane context. It's a little silly :)

sigma 6 posted:

Thank you for the nice compliment. Man, I feel you bro. I get like that sometimes and it can be for a stretch too. You can't force it but you should try to keep yourself open to the possibility the muse could inspire you. For me - because I have a graveyard shift of work where I can draw on the computer while monitoring things in general then I get a relatively quiet and otherwise very boring stretches of time I can get a lot of work done if I get set up and start going. Sometimes it gets like- I don't feel it, the inspiration to create is missing- so I realize I have to let my brain work it out for a while and look to be interested in something else.

Here is a quick drawing that was fun to make - VGA style Piposh. I would like to play with the technique more.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Hellbeard posted:

I really dig this drawing too. Something about the colors of the background and the sky is really pleasing. Is this a digital piece? It has a grain on it. Is this something you can do with a program?

I tried testing out the brushes I downloaded earlier. Painting is... hard. :(

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I really dig this drawing too. Something about the colors of the background and the sky is really pleasing. Is this a digital piece? It has a grain on it. Is this something you can do with a program?

I tried testing out the brushes I downloaded earlier. Painting is... hard. :(

Nice Adora. I don't know why people were so chuffed about the redesigns. The new designs are much better than the downright bizarre old ones.

Yes it's digital but also the original has pretty high resolution. I added a blending of several different textures- some of the layers I merged and used Gaussian Blur with different strengths then I added different sized grain of noise texture. I worked with separate folders of layers divided by the plane - sky, rear background, midground, foreground so that the farther away had strongest blur with big grain of noise and it reduces in blur strength and noise size. The idea is to create a "depth of field" effect.

Edit:
As long as I'm the last post here's some more stuff:

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Super rushed late night

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Hellbeard posted:

Nice Adora. I don't know why people were so chuffed about the redesigns. The new designs are much better than the downright bizarre old ones.

Yes it's digital but also the original has pretty high resolution. I added a blending of several different textures- some of the layers I merged and used Gaussian Blur with different strengths then I added different sized grain of noise texture. I worked with separate folders of layers divided by the plane - sky, rear background, midground, foreground so that the farther away had strongest blur with big grain of noise and it reduces in blur strength and noise size. The idea is to create a "depth of field" effect.

Wow, I didn't realize how much thought you put into the texturing! I should really learn how to color.

Helloooooo nurse

Shinmera posted:

Super rushed late night

Sweet. Your landscapes are great! I like the clouds and ruined buildings are pretty good too.

I was wondering if you could try moving the person closer to the camera so she's only in the frame shoulders up (and enlarged) and then darkening the coloring, possibly until it's almost a silhouette? Just a thought, I'm not sure if it would actually look nice.

Also:

I'm really proud of how my drawception panel came out. :3

vvv thank you :kiddo:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 2, 2020

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Hellbeard posted:

Edit:
As long as I'm the last post here's some more stuff:

Playing around with styles suits you. The pixel art is charming and reminds me of old PC games, booting up something back when a clunky-rear end machine running Windows 95 was the end-all-be-all. And the line weights on the woman mixed with the Metal Gear pale green is :discourse:

Shinmera posted:

Super rushed late night

I know you're making a game, do you have any areas in it like this? You go from a blasted cityscape and you get one of those fun Soulsborne reveals with an absolutely stunning beautiful area that's unlike the rest. You posted a Splatoon piece a while back that had a lot of water that was nice as well.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Also:

I'm really proud of how my drawception panel came out. :3

You should be! 10 minutes and you captured a little scene with one of my favorite color palettes.

One of the side effects of posting my art journey on my social media is every so often your friends and family ask you to draw them. Some of my photographer/model friends from high school asked and since they've both got a million self-portraits I was spoiled for reference. Couldn't quite get one of them right, but the other one came out pretty good. I need to practice likeness anyway so I've got to keep plugging away at the one I didn't get right.

Is it just me or are painting and drawing separate skills? If I try drawing something it takes me ages and I have a million mistakes, but painting I tend to get done in around half the time with better results.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Halogens posted:

Is it just me or are painting and drawing separate skills? If I try drawing something it takes me ages and I have a million mistakes, but painting I tend to get done in around half the time with better results.

They must be because I am the opposite of you :) Though I think that's just I have a lot more practice drawing than painting, which is kinda new to me.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

They must be because I am the opposite of you :) Though I think that's just I have a lot more practice drawing than painting, which is kinda new to me.

That makes sense. Realistically I'm about equal on both as far as experience goes. And my sketches are capital-M Messy so I might just take to this better. Have you posted your drawing in this thread? Your paintings are great so seeing you draw would be a treat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Halogens posted:

That makes sense. Realistically I'm about equal on both as far as experience goes. And my sketches are capital-M Messy so I might just take to this better. Have you posted your drawing in this thread? Your paintings are great so seeing you draw would be a treat.

Aw thank you! I'm heading to bed but will post something later :)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

how to stop

idk if this is a good combination of color and linework/ink. For some reason it's very different from the monochrome. I was criticized that goblins should have more messed up teeth and bigger noses.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Hellbeard posted:

how to stop

idk if this is a good combination of color and linework/ink. For some reason it's very different from the monochrome. I was criticized that goblins should have more messed up teeth and bigger noses.

Dont. :getin:

Unless you are going for a particular style of goblin that has already been established I say draw them however you want. I am not sure there has ever been a 'typical goblin".

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 2, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Sweet. Your landscapes are great! I like the clouds and ruined buildings are pretty good too.

I was wondering if you could try moving the person closer to the camera so she's only in the frame shoulders up (and enlarged) and then darkening the coloring, possibly until it's almost a silhouette? Just a thought, I'm not sure if it would actually look nice.

I suppose that could work, though the picture would definitely have to be in landscape format then (ha ha), or the figure would take up too much room. I'll consider it for another time!

The Halogens posted:

I know you're making a game, do you have any areas in it like this? You go from a blasted cityscape and you get one of those fun Soulsborne reveals with an absolutely stunning beautiful area that's unlike the rest. You posted a Splatoon piece a while back that had a lot of water that was nice as well.

So far the plans for the game are that the areas it covers will be either underground and within very desert or arid spaces above ground. That could easily change, but I'm not sure if I want to make things coastal.

I do have some ideas for striking ruins though, and I'll definitely have to draw concept art for that stuff once the story is a bit more solid.

Another quick scenery tonight. Tried to work more with the lighting this time around. The way colours work under non-neutral light is really weird though and I still don't have a good grasp on that.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

The Halogens posted:

I would call them different facets of the same overall skillset. Looking past the literal media used for the work, the distinction between drawing and painting can become pretty murky with something like a richly rendered charcoal drawing, for example. You can often tell when someone knows how to paint in their drawing, and when a painter knows how to draw well.

The perspective on her breasts is pretty odd here IMO. The head, shoulders, hips are drawn all with a pretty flat, eye-level perspective, but only the breasts are drawn off-axis, as if we were seeing them from a much higher and slightly oblique angle that is impossible between her shoulders and pelvis.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 2, 2020

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Scoss posted:

I would call them different facets of the same overall skillset. Looking past the literal media used for the work, the distinction between drawing and painting can become pretty murky with something like a richly rendered charcoal drawing, for example. You can often tell when someone knows how to paint in their drawing, and when a painter knows how to draw well.

The perspective on her breasts is pretty odd here IMO. The head, shoulders, hips are drawn all with a pretty flat, eye-level perspective, but only the breasts are drawn off-axis, as if we were seeing them from a much higher and slightly oblique angle that is impossible between her shoulders and pelvis.

Yes - I think that's a good evaluation. Thanks. I'm resigned to never get it right. Maybe some day. :D
Maybe I should try a more cartoon like abstraction so I can make more mistakes.

Anyway here are two drawings I'm working on intermittently.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Got a Graphics tablet a few days ago and did some nude sketches as a practise (as well as two apples), in graphicsgale (I only make pixelart atm) but tried to go with a rougher style, with a time limit of 15 minutes per one. These are the most presentable ones

Here's two done on artrage studio:

25+ minutes for both, not familiar enough with the software to really know what to do but im getting there

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 3, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

When you feel like you should draw but don't want to.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Ash Crimson posted:

Got a Graphics tablet a few days ago and did some nude sketches as a practise (as well as two apples), in graphicsgale (I only make pixelart atm) but tried to go with a rougher style, with a time limit of 15 minutes per one. These are the most presentable ones

Here's two done on artrage studio:

25+ minutes for both, not familiar enough with the software to really know what to do but im getting there

Sweet! Enjoy your new tablet. It takes a while to get used to the interface but it's very powerful.
I recommend Clip Studio Paint / Manga Studio because I like the program but it's really a matter of taste and preference.

Here is a goblin.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

Sweet! Enjoy your new tablet. It takes a while to get used to the interface but it's very powerful.
I recommend Clip Studio Paint / Manga Studio because I like the program but it's really a matter of taste and preference.

Here is a goblin.

I really like her knees for some reason.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

HopperUK posted:

I really like her knees for some reason.

Thanks. Me too. I think I got something right there by accident. Maybe about turning the leg inwards a little? I always mess up by doing legs as coming straight down rather than at an angle from the outward part of the pelvis and in towards the middle.
I like the result I wanted to try a monochrome drawing with similar abstraction and line-work, see if I can draw a character in a scene.
Had a bit of rough time. The background was too much competition with the grey scale and it really drained everything from the drawing. I had an insight- do the background in a different "language" to set things apart.
I think it helped.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Moka pot. I don't drink coffee but these things are cute.

A quick one of death from Baron Munchausen for the other six people in the universe who have seen that movie... I always thought this kind of feral screechy grim reaper was the best.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Here is a goblin.

Thanks! I'm not really good at any sort of art tbh but i guess we all walk the same road at one point or another.

Here's a bunch more (including the original 2 digital ones done earlier)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been doing dog drawing requests all week for people who donated over the past week because cops are bastards.

I also did a Guilty Gear comic as a commission!!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Ok I never ask for crits because I'm a huge babby, but I'm doing it now.

I'm planning to make pillows with animal pics, cut into the shape of the pic, with a themed pattern on the other side. (you can see I'm gonna keep the shape pretty round) Around 12 inches/30cm on the shorter side. The image will be printed on this thick plush-feel-cloth, there won't be any 3d bits like snouts pushing out or anything.

I have no idea if the sewing will work like I want it to yet, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the design, and specifically the colours. Would this be something someone would want to buy, theoretically? Like .. does it look like a viable product?

The bunny's still a bit in progress 'cause I was not happy with the ear after redrawing it like five times and now I'm stewing on it.

Still sketchin' elves too as if I'd ever stop.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I have no idea if the sewing will work like I want it to yet, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the design, and specifically the colours. Would this be something someone would want to buy, theoretically? Like .. does it look like a viable product?

I would buy at least one of this good dog. Not sure about the bunny - maybe the colour needs to be more pastel or something, I dunno. But the dog is perfect.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

These "hold over" colored line-art are a much better fit for color.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

perc2 posted:

been getting into painting with a pixel brush recently, this is a 1hr-ish study. start with a small 350px canvas and then size it up at the end. i really like the control a small canvas gives you + the aesthetics

I love the atmosphere in this, both physically and emotionally. It really has a lot of depth. Great colors.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Crosspost from animation thread

workin on some 2.5D stuff
https://i.imgur.com/6aT0FbB.mp4

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ok I never ask for crits because I'm a huge babby, but I'm doing it now.

The bunny's still a bit in progress 'cause I was not happy with the ear after redrawing it like five times and now I'm stewing on it.

Still sketchin' elves too as if I'd ever stop.

Dog's great, I can't think of any changes. The bunny, though, I think needs some more contrast because unless you really look at it, it becomes hard to read, mostly around the long middle of the ear. At that point it blends in with the body. Echoing what HopperUK said, some more pastel would probably help out, too. The design of the bunny is good, though!

Righteous elves as always.

my buddy Superfly posted:

Been doing dog drawing requests all week for people who donated over the past week because cops are bastards.

I also did a Guilty Gear comic as a commission!!

These are all great. All cops are bastards, all dogs are good boyes. I love how everybody in this thread has their own "thing" that they draw.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Trying out linocut printing:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

i drew a flat gently caress on a friday but i'm posting it on a saturday

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I finished the wip I posted earlier. I ended up messing with the color for the sake of printing it. but now it looks oversaturated in rgb.

I think I'll start over now.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

my buddy Superfly posted:

i drew a flat gently caress on a friday but i'm posting it on a saturday

Ah yes, the tastiest Pokemon. Well done.

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

I finished the wip I posted earlier. I ended up messing with the color for the sake of printing it. but now it looks oversaturated in rgb.

I think I'll start over now.

That looks good in my opinion, and would look great printed if you used foil. As it is on my monitor it's got that sheen of a rare trading card.

I think I need to learn to paint something other than faces. The burger's looking kind of like the idea of a burger instead of a real burger.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

HopperUK posted:

I would buy at least one of this good dog. Not sure about the bunny - maybe the colour needs to be more pastel or something, I dunno. But the dog is perfect.

The Halogens posted:

Dog's great, I can't think of any changes. The bunny, though, I think needs some more contrast because unless you really look at it, it becomes hard to read, mostly around the long middle of the ear. At that point it blends in with the body. Echoing what HopperUK said, some more pastel would probably help out, too. The design of the bunny is good, though!

Thank you both! I think I'll try and change the leafy part of the ear into a fern curl shape later, should "read" better inside the bunny form but I'll still have the round shape at the back. And I'll work on definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Drew my friends' squids. :woomy: