Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1265350581046013952?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1266254914692329473?s=20

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What's the over/under that he does in fact care?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's honestly not surprising at all the Ronan Farrow became a preeminent researcher and exposer of sex criminals.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The wild conspiracy theory is this is building up to normalising and reintroducing rapists back into the mainstream. Remember Lewis CK? Al Franken? Woody Allen? Roman Polanski? Guess who's baaaaack!

It's, pretty bad. Bordering on disgusting at times.

quote:

Allen is innocent: this is according to the law and the agencies that investigated him. Dylan and Ronan believe he is guilty. It is the latter view that has led some to lobby universities to drop him from film courses, exclude his movies from film festivals and talk about him as if he were a criminal. But this attitude is immoral unless it is proved he committed a crime – and, 28 years later, no one has been able to pin so much as a parking fine on him.

Many point to his movies as evidence of wrongdoing, but it is the height of intellectual laziness to conflate film plots about older men and twentysomething women with child molestation. A 21-year-old woman is not – and this, apparently, cannot be said enough with regard to Allen – a seven-year-old girl. It is extraordinary how many people argue otherwise, claiming to do so in the name of feminism. You may not like Allen’s movies – or his marriage – but people can be complicated, even unlikable, without being criminal.

There are signs that some people are starting to realise this, and to question some of the narratives around him. Despite the pandemic, the lack of a US release and having been disowned by its star and other cast and crew members, Rainy Day is Allen’s most successful film in years. Perhaps the public simply wearied of a story that has not changed in decades. Perhaps some took the time to read the facts.

"Feminists, please learn how to use facts and logic - if sexual impropriety cannot be proven in a court of law the accused must be accepted into your hearts and into your communities and spaces, anything else would be immoral."

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 29, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
hadley is a terf and it is not surprising to see her defending sex pests

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Hadley Freeman loving sucks. Of course she only takes a break from writing her terfy articles to mount a soft defence of Woody Allen. Amazing how she tries to 'both sides' it while simultaneously taking his side.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 29, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1266202993432518656?s=20

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As an outsider who only recently moved to the UK and isn't intimately familiar with TERFism, can anyone summarise its tenets for me?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

MeinPanzer posted:

As an outsider who only recently moved to the UK and isn't intimately familiar with TERFism, can anyone summarise its tenets for me?

Anti trans feminists. Hate on trans women and try to exclude them / supports anti trans movements and laws under the guise of protecting “real” women etc

Edit: to be fair it’s got nothing to do with sex pests and saying “they are a TERF of course they defend sex pests” is dumb but defending a TERF is worse so I wouldn’t bother

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Basically they believe transwomen are sexual predators and men. That's pretty much all, and they will take literally anything and warp it to conform to their world view.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

MeinPanzer posted:

trans women are actually large, hairy, muscular men who exploit the law to sneak into women's changing rooms and sexually assault the occupants

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Woody Allen's movies aren't even that good tbh.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Not Operator posted:

Hadley Freeman loving sucks. Of course she only takes a break from writing her terfy articles to mount a soft defence of Woody Allen. Amazing how she tries to 'both sides' it while simultaneously taking his side.

Yeah, that's why I started with that paragraph, it summarizes the whole thing in the first couple sentences. "WA is innocent, unless you're one of the gibbering buffoons who believe otherwise"

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

teacup posted:

Anti trans feminists. Hate on trans women and try to exclude them / supports anti trans movements and laws under the guise of protecting “real” women etc

Edit: to be fair it’s got nothing to do with sex pests and saying “they are a TERF of course they defend sex pests” is dumb but defending a TERF is worse so I wouldn’t bother

What does this actually look like in the wild? Any good examples of particularly egregious articles in mainstream publications, like The Guardian?

It's just such a weird idea to me that someone can believe that women are oppressed but not believe that trans women are also oppressed, only even moreso.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MeinPanzer posted:

What does this actually look like in the wild? Any good examples of particularly egregious articles in mainstream publications, like The Guardian?

It's just such a weird idea to me that someone can believe that women are oppressed but not believe that trans women are also oppressed, only even moreso.

old school feminism + gender essentialism = transwomen dont exist, theyre actually crossdressing rapists

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

terf used to refer to second wave feminists but it has been turning into a general term to mean any transphobe

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

inferis posted:

terf used to refer to second wave feminists but it has been turning into a general term to mean any transphobe

not really any transphobe but the term has widened to include your general white feminist reactionary

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

Jk Rowling flirts with it in retweet’s like the Don does With Qanon

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

Woody Allen's movies aren't even that good tbh.

How many times has this dude made “Glum English professor who fucks a student”?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah JK Rowling is the first person that comes to mind but I feel like I’ve heard of a lot of UK feminism being trans-exclusionary.

And because I don’t think anyone said it, TERF is short for Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The terf movement in the UK is also provably astroturfed by US christian fundamentalists.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Phi230 posted:

not really any transphobe but the term has widened to include your general white feminist reactionary

people called hillary a terf when she talked poo poo about trans women and there is absolutely nothing radical about her politics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it did originate with misguided 2nd wave feminists but i think for a lot of the tweeters, the "radical" "feminism" is just window dressing for being assholes.. theres a lot of overlap with pro-lifers & rape apologists and other decidedly counter-feminist types

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 29, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Not Operator posted:

The terf movement in the UK is also provably astroturfed by US christian fundamentalists.

I think it's a combination of that and conservative moms on "mumsnet" becoming a relevant political force UK politicians started to try and appease.

Alan Smithee posted:

Jk Rowling flirts with it in retweet’s like the Don does With Qanon

She does more than flirt with it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Skwirl posted:

She does more than flirt with it.

Yeah, this was earlier today:

https://twitter.com/JordanPfot/status/1266394984716140545

Not edited, she left a draft in a tweet to talk about her new children's book. It was wild.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, this was earlier today:

https://twitter.com/JordanPfot/status/1266394984716140545

Not edited, she left a draft in a tweet to talk about her new children's book. It was wild.

Jesus loving Christ.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

She’s awful of course but that’s a hilarious gently caress up. Start off with complimenting a children’s drawing and end in a hate speech.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a pig she is. gently caress JK Rowling.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

peer posted:

trans women are actually large, hairy, muscular men who exploit the law to sneak into women's changing rooms and sexually assault the occupants

Don't bother asking for examples either, because they either won't provide one (or can't), or it'll be some level of Willie Horton poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always like the Bartimeus Trilogy better. It takes the question "What if there were wizards in modern society?" and answers it with "They'd be upper-class shitheads who walk over the working class."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
...also I guess since the story has continued going wild today she's now trying the chilling effect because this blew up in her face so bad.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1266356645220831236

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Worth noting that most TERFs aren’t really feminists, they just performatively use feminist language to disguise their bigotry. The mask usually slips as soon as someone who is not trans pushes back on them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is "transgenderism" a word that is used at all?

im sorry if it is actually used by non-assholes, i just havent ever seen that one before. it sounds like an ideology, like idk gay agenda or something

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

is "transgenderism" a word that is used at all?

It’s a dog whistle for sure

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
'Transgenderism' was briefly a term you'd see in academic work by actual trans people a few years back. Checking my notes, Jack Halberstam's work used it as recently as 2017 (Trans*: A Quick and Quirky Account of Gender Variability), although it's definitely not commonly used anymore. The preferred noun is transness. Some of the older trans crowd might still use it, but 98% of the time it's a dogwhistle that reifies trans identity into an ideology. Absolutely a red flag if it's not being used by, like, an actual trans theorist over the age of 50.

EDIT Here's a couple of really good articles about the rise of 'TERFism' in the UK: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opinion/terf-trans-women-britain.html: 'the obsession with supposed “biological realities” [...] is part of a long tradition of British feminism interacting with colonialism and empire.'
https://theoutline.com/post/6536/british-feminists-media-transphobic?zd=1&zi=4usnexrm

Bolingbroke fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 30, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thank you bolingbroke :)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Stolen from another thread, but can’t find it to credit

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Good way to weed out some people from your friends list.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It won’t catch on because FART is too silly an acronym, but the Feminism Appropriating is a much better descriptor than Radical Feminist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
While that's true, and calling them "radical feminists" undermines the radical feminist movement, at this point the acronym TERF has been stripped of the words it's made up of and it's taken on a life of its own. When you call a TERF a TERF they get fighting mad for getting called out, and I think that's proof enough that it's working. We don't really need a new acronym, clever though it is.