Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I recently got back into gunpla (after taking a ~25 year break) back in march, and recently finished my first RG kit, an RG Exia, and my god they're so fiddly. So much fun to build.

It took me like 2 and a half hours to finish one drat leg. whole thing took like 2 days of sanding and polishing. I'm dreading panel lining, but I stuffed my micron pen while doing my HG Astaroth, and good panel markers are impossible to find in Australia.

Looking forward to the RG Qan[T], although I need more IBO kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Hot drat. I thought a ~15 year break was something. Going from crappy no-grade Gundam Wing kits to modern HG and RG kits was some serious poo poo. Can't imagine what it must be like for someone who took a longer break than that. Lookin' good, though!

That said, welcome back to the fold, look forward to seeing your eventual backlog. I've only been back in the hobby for a little over a year and I've already lost track of how many kits I own, and there's at least two dozen in the backlog. But hey, my EVA arrived today so who cares?

Haven't started the build yet but the parts look pretty good. There's something like 10 pairs of hands included, some of the parts use multiple colors (no loving eye stickers! :woop:), and there's a shiny little AT Field for him to rip through. :3:

The box was surprisingly big. Twice the size of my other RGs, about the same size as most of my MGs.

Also bought one of these because why not? :shrug:

Mephiston posted:

It took me like 2 and a half hours to finish one drat leg.

Haha yeah that happens.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Thanks for the welcome. I used to buy a wing kit every weekend or so in my teen years and spend an hour or so putting them together.

Here's what I've made since mid-march (minus the Zoids, some of which I've had for decades, others I rescued from a charity store)

Those NG wing kits are the renual ones, not ones from back in the day.

If you're wondering why I have two Astaroths, it's because my wife wanted to buy me an Astaroth Rinascimento, but the hobby store bloke misunderstood. So I decided to make them two different models my putting all the white parts on one, and all the blue parts on the other, and I think it works well.

The dynames in the back is my second ever 1/100 kit (I miss my MG Epyon, that was a fun one).

My shopping list is as scary as it is ridiculous, but I'm a refugee from Warhammer 40k so it's not so bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bees on Wheat posted:

Hot drat. I thought a ~15 year break was something. Going from crappy no-grade Gundam Wing kits to modern HG and RG kits was some serious poo poo. Can't imagine what it must be like for someone who took a longer break than that. Lookin' good, though!

That said, welcome back to the fold, look forward to seeing your eventual backlog. I've only been back in the hobby for a little over a year and I've already lost track of how many kits I own, and there's at least two dozen in the backlog. But hey, my EVA arrived today so who cares?

Haven't started the build yet but the parts look pretty good. There's something like 10 pairs of hands included, some of the parts use multiple colors (no loving eye stickers! :woop:), and there's a shiny little AT Field for him to rip through. :3:

I've just finished the main build, and yeah. It's pretty amazing. It's also huge for a RG, with plenty of color separation so everything looks right with no stickers.

Just a shame the knife storage doesn't actually work. I know it'd be a pain at this scale, but I always like a good weapon storage gimmick. Guess they focused more on the entry plug gimmicks.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
How do you guys get your gunpla in such cool poses? I'm scared to touch mine much because most of them have parts that pop off if I look at them wrong.

My 2 rg's are the worst for this. I just built an exia and the right shoulder pad isn't snug at all, and I can barely keep the gn sword and shield on it. My rg build strike is also really touchy and I couldn't get it to hold the rifle, if just kept falling out.

I think part of it is the movable hands I feel like they arent meant for holding stuff. I dunno though, all the pics I see of other gunpla look so much sturdier than mine.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I found this image to still be very helpful (timg to be safe):

Other than that I accept that any pose will look awkward from some angles, recreating an anime moneyshot means recreating looking at it from one angle. I have my RX-78-2 in a pretty cool down the barrel rifle shot, with the other arm readying the bazooka. It look great from my couch and hilariously clumsy from the dinner table.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I paint mine so I usually end up gluing all the small bits on it and a lot of the joints are much tighter from the paint, so they are able to hold their position much more easily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing to try is counter rotating the limbs and putting a twist in the torso. These are approximations of 18 meter high robots, so approximating the way they'd actually move is important. One of the best ways to do this is to think of the torso as the center of your image with the limbs moving around it. So if you have a machine throwing a left hook, angle the right hand behind the torso to give that punch the illusion of having more force behind it.

The picture above also has some good advice. Hip thrusts and head bobbing

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Zedd posted:

I found this image to still be very helpful (timg to be safe):

Other than that I accept that any pose will look awkward from some angles, recreating an anime moneyshot means recreating looking at it from one angle. I have my RX-78-2 in a pretty cool down the barrel rifle shot, with the other arm readying the bazooka. It look great from my couch and hilariously clumsy from the dinner table.

Thanks for this. I'm the worst at posing figures so most of the time my collection just falls over and stays that way cause I get so frustrated.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Mephiston posted:

. I'm dreading panel lining, but I stuffed my micron pen while doing my HG Astaroth, and good panel markers are impossible to find in Australia.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/office-supplies/pens/fineliner-pens

They actually have a ton of micron pens now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
doing similar things to what I did with Apollo upthread is a good idea. bracing when firing a huge gun, looking in the direction they're firing, leaning forward if swinging a melee weapon, that sort of thing. but always, always make sure the legs and feet are stable and flat on the ground to prevent any wobbling sending them crashing to the floor.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Oh poo poo, awesome. Thanks for that, I had no idea.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I actually had a dream about gunpla last night. I was sorting through some boxes in the backlog, and found one with an orange Alto unit, and one with an orange Eva unit. Both apparently had been fully assembled, then shoved back into their boxes along with the used sprues. So I did the logical thing and shoved them both into one box so I could toss the other. :downs:

Then I woke up and remembered I actually do have a fully assembled Alto (gray) and a Trans-Am Kyrios sitting in their boxes somewhere. Kyrios probably gettin' jealous because I've been pimping all the other 00 suits but honestly it was my least favorite design from that series and I only own that kit because it was part of a blind-bag kinda deal.

Mephiston posted:

Thanks for the welcome. I used to buy a wing kit every weekend or so in my teen years and spend an hour or so putting them together.

Here's what I've made since mid-march (minus the Zoids, some of which I've had for decades, others I rescued from a charity store)

Oh yeah, when I was a teenager we'd buy them at the flea market once a month. I put all of my little sister's kits together too. :3: I think I re-started around March of last year, and by the end of that May I only had.. maybe 5 or 6 Gundams and one Haro. Silly me was trying to be responsible and not spend all of my money on plastic crack. :jerkbag:

quote:

The dynames in the back is my second ever 1/100 kit (I miss my MG Epyon, that was a fun one).
Dynames is a v. good boy. My third MG, but I had several of the 1/100 HG Gundam Wing kits back in the day. I recently found them on Amazon and built them again, since unfortunately none of my original collection is still around. :sigh:

quote:

My shopping list is as scary as it is ridiculous, but I'm a refugee from Warhammer 40k so it's not so bad.
A friend of mine used to be a manager for Games Workshop, and he's the reason I refer to any sort of model kits as "plastic crack" now. His house could have doubled as their backup warehouse because he, his wife, and at least one of the kids were into it. I even built a few smaller kits with them even though I've never played the games and know none of the lore. I just like putting things together. :shrug:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Finally finished up my Red Astray bust. Not going to lie, I was so annoyed with the quality of the kit I kinda phoned it in at the end with the markers and clean up. However, it completely passes the "from here" test in terms of looks so I'm okay with it. I don't think I've ever had to shorten pegs and shave bits as much as I did with this kit and I've put together old Games Workshop and Privateer Press models. On the upside, it's a hell of a desk piece.

Full gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/gFP30UL

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've been trying to figure out some models I used to make with a friend, which would have been back in the mid-late 90s.

He had a huge collection of them and they were all similar to SD Gundams, but not actually Gundam.

More along the lines of Mecha crossed with medievil stuff, bit fuzzy on the actual specifics.

His uncle used to send regular shipments from Taiwan to him and thinking back, we used to build them most weekends and it probably was a latent precursor to me getting into building Gunpla, I just can not remember what they were called.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Was it Ryu Knight?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Was it Ryu Knight?

Those are adorable in the jankiest way imaginable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

d3lness posted:

Those are adorable in the jankiest way imaginable.

It's surprisingly difficult to find pictures of what the actual kits look like. It really make me appreciate Dalong, that guy is a goddamn saint.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Om so I think I figured out my issue with the rg exia. Af4er looking at mephiston's picture, I think I put the gn sword together backwards or something. So I'm going to fix that and then I'll feel better about the whole thing.

Also thanks for the posing advice, I'll pose my collection and post some pics soon. Just gotta build my mg barbatos. First mg so I'm pretty excited!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Gripweed posted:

Was it Ryu Knight?

Not quite. The heads were super large and the only thing I could think of that resembles the style of the face would be similar to actual sd gundams with the over exaggerated eyes and face, maybe more samurai style like the BB Sd Range.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Puddin posted:

Not quite. The heads were super large and the only thing I could think of that resembles the style of the face would be similar to actual sd gundams with the over exaggerated eyes and face, maybe more samurai style like the BB Sd Range.

B daman, maybe?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Doesn't seem right to me. My google fu is pretty weak on it. I mean it was 20+ years ago so my memory could be skewing it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Just hop in your RX-0 and time travel you lazy scrub. Jeeze.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Well. I am a complete idiot, looking through all the SD Gundam wikis it definitely was the SD Gundam BB Senshi line. I didn't realise the line has been around so long.

I guess 15 year old me incepted myself back then.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Used to primarily build MGs back in the day before I went on a long hiatus. Now I build primarily HGs. Really enjoying the larger, broader range as well as the balance of details. With 1/100s, the scale always made the level of detail seem awkward if it didn't have a ton of panel lines. With 1/144s you can skimp on the details and still look good. It also helps that stuff tends to avoid being too heavy simply because it's harder to have that much plastic in a big gun or whatever.

I've built RGs Tallgeese, Gold Frame Amatsu, Banshee Norn + Banshee Armed Armor parts, and HGs Gouf & Dom R35, Leo, Gundam Ground Type S, and GM/GM. GM/GM is by far my favorite even if I'm in love with the simplicity of the Leo's organization and build simplicity. It's articulated in a lot of fun ways.

Left the visor out since I want to paint it later and would rather not deal with having to get it back out.

I've also recovered my HG Gouf Custom to do my first ever kitbash/rebuild because I feel like it. Gotta deal with poo poo like 90 degree elbows, a lovely front skirt that can barely articulate due to pipes, a massive rebuild of the shield gatling, etc. Good thing the Gouf R35 has some flexible front skirts to steal ideas off of. Just... gotta wait for shipping. And eventual airbrush down the line or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think I;m going to shift over to the higher grades for the most part. I do like the selection at HG, but a $60 MG kit takes me at least as long to build as 3 HG kits, costs about the same, and uses a third of the display space. That's important.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I think I;m going to shift over to the higher grades for the most part. I do like the selection at HG, but a $60 MG kit takes me at least as long to build as 3 HG kits, costs about the same, and uses a third of the display space. That's important.

When I jumped back into the hobby I was only buying SD and 1/144 scale because I have limited space to display them, but at some point it was like "gently caress it, I'ma build what I want and worry about everything else later" :shobon:

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Argas posted:

GM/GM is by far my favorite even if I'm in love with the simplicity of the Leo's organization and build simplicity. It's articulated in a lot of fun ways.

GM/GM Really takes a liking to even half arsed panel lining, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

Used to primarily build MGs back in the day before I went on a long hiatus. Now I build primarily HGs. Really enjoying the larger, broader range as well as the balance of details. With 1/100s, the scale always made the level of detail seem awkward if it didn't have a ton of panel lines. With 1/144s you can skimp on the details and still look good. It also helps that stuff tends to avoid being too heavy simply because it's harder to have that much plastic in a big gun or whatever.

I've built RGs Tallgeese, Gold Frame Amatsu, Banshee Norn + Banshee Armed Armor parts, and HGs Gouf & Dom R35, Leo, Gundam Ground Type S, and GM/GM. GM/GM is by far my favorite even if I'm in love with the simplicity of the Leo's organization and build simplicity. It's articulated in a lot of fun ways.

Left the visor out since I want to paint it later and would rather not deal with having to get it back out.

I've also recovered my HG Gouf Custom to do my first ever kitbash/rebuild because I feel like it. Gotta deal with poo poo like 90 degree elbows, a lovely front skirt that can barely articulate due to pipes, a massive rebuild of the shield gatling, etc. Good thing the Gouf R35 has some flexible front skirts to steal ideas off of. Just... gotta wait for shipping. And eventual airbrush down the line or something.

One thing I like with the Leo's design is a key element of it is "How can we make this as simple as possible, so people can build entire armies of these things easily?" :allears:

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
GM/GM is very good.

Sassy man very good.

In conclusion gunpla is a land of contrasts.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I got confused by all this talk of GMs and master grades so I ordered the MG GM 2.0 just to be safe.
Oh no. Oh noooo.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Okay, one more and I'm done spamming the thread for a while. My SD RX-0 is finally done. I had to make use of the dry weather and finish clear coating my Astray bust and this guy yesterday. I'm miffed that the partsformation from NT-D doesn't have a way to hide the psycho frame at the waist and that the Unicorn mode legs don't have nubs to mount the rocket packs (I'm too lazy to mod an SD at this point). I have the spare parts so I totally plan to make the 3 shield flying triangle thing at some point for this little bastard.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/zVwC1TC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/05/entry-grade-1144-rx-78-2-gundam-release.html

An Entry Grade kit that has better articulation than many high grades.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/05/entry-grade-1144-rx-78-2-gundam-release.html

An Entry Grade kit that has better articulation than many high grades.

That's cool, it uses the same sprue layout as the 30MM kits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait, no clippers required? how do they have the parts on the runners detach without really obvious marks?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Captain Invictus posted:

wait, no clippers required? how do they have the parts on the runners detach without really obvious marks?

Extremely small gates. The Haro kit has them, you can just pop the pieces right out. They do leave a little bit of flash so an experienced builder is gonna still want to tidy them up, but it's way less than a regular kit. A kid or new builder won't mind

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, that's amazing then. The heavyarms custom kit had a few pieces with abnormally small gates, but if these ones are so small you can just pop the part off easily and yet it still stays attached on the sprue in the box, that's incredibly impressive.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Haros and a lot of the newer SD kits have parts you can just pop off. The little SDCS Zaku I did recently was like that, although some parts still required nippers, like the weapons. Sometimes the parts do fall off the sprue in the box, but it's not a common enough occurrence to be an issue, at least for me. More likely, you'll have a couple parts where it pops halfway off and is hanging onto the sprue by a thread.

d3lness posted:

Okay, one more and I'm done spamming the thread for a while. My SD RX-0 is finally done. I had to make use of the dry weather and finish clear coating my Astray bust and this guy yesterday. I'm miffed that the partsformation from NT-D doesn't have a way to hide the psycho frame at the waist and that the Unicorn mode legs don't have nubs to mount the rocket packs (I'm too lazy to mod an SD at this point). I have the spare parts so I totally plan to make the 3 shield flying triangle thing at some point for this little bastard.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/zVwC1TC

He's adorable, please never stop spamming.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bees on Wheat posted:

Haros and a lot of the newer SD kits have parts you can just pop off. The little SDCS Zaku I did recently was like that, although some parts still required nippers, like the weapons. Sometimes the parts do fall off the sprue in the box, but it's not a common enough occurrence to be an issue, at least for me. More likely, you'll have a couple parts where it pops halfway off and is hanging onto the sprue by a thread.

It's not that new, either. Bandai's been doing that from their LBX kits for nearing a decade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hey, check out what shows up on the cover of the American edition of the Gundam novels

How has Bandai never done a Char's Zaku FZ kit?