Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Is gundam ZZ a must-watch?

It explains a lot about a character in Unicorn but outside of that not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Sort of yes, sort of no.

It is referenced a whole lot in side material, particularly Gundam Unicorn, but basically all you need to know from it is "they tried cloning Newtypes, the cloned Newtypes were of a girl called Ple/Puru" and "Haman died."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly kinda surprising that the Federation never tried their own take on the cloning project, seems like it would resolve the near constant manpower problems they have after the OYW

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly kinda surprising that the Federation never tried their own take on the cloning project, seems like it would resolve the near constant manpower problems they have after the OYW

Les Enfants Terrible!

(amuro clones)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

They really didn't need to. Even post OYW the Federation had a massive massive numbers advantage for the most part and also access to Artificial Newtype technology.

The thing about Ple is that she... just isn't really that useful. You're effectively strapping a ten year old into a war machine and hoping their newtype potential overcomes them being ten years old and in most cases it didn't. It was just that Glemy was a complete shitbag and also needed whatever advantage he could get.

In theory they could have tried to mass produce Amuro Ray but Amuro Ray's body not married to his mind is just not going to be that useful and if you try to replicate Amuro's personality it'll probably backfire on you. Even attempts to just make a Bio-Computer using Amuro Ray's data inevitably backfired.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 29, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

UC cloning seems to be at low volume, it doesn’t seem like they could clone in large enough numbers to make up for large numeric shortfalls. The Murasame labs in Zeta were probably near the peak of the technology.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They really didn't need to. Even post OYW the Federation had a massive massive numbers advantage for the most part and also access to Artificial Newtype technology.

The thing about Ple is that she... just isn't really that useful. You're effectively strapping a ten year old into a war machine and hoping their newtype potential overcomes them being ten years old and in most cases it didn't. It was just that Glemy was a complete shitbag and also needed whatever advantage he could get.

In theory they could have tried to mass produce Amuro Ray but Amuro Ray's body not married to his mind is just not going to be that useful and if you try to replicate Amuro's personality it'll probably backfire on you. Even attempts to just make a Bio-Computer using Amuro Ray's data inevitably backfired.

Also, well... the Federation didn't like having one Amuro around. They needed him, but they tried to shove him in the background whenever possible. Same with Bright. Same with all their other heroes.

Zeon loved having someone for the recruitment posters. The Federation, as a collective, preferred when battles were won by the faceless grunts.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The whole Newtype thing is probably the worst part of UC gundam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Burns posted:

D.O.M.E. agrees!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the federation only had one amuro, but zeon had like 50 chars and that number only goes up with each new oyw story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Glemmy did iron out most of the kinks with the later Ple clones, though. From Ple II onwards, they were frighteningly effective weapons, and having an entire army of up-gunned Qubeleys let him punch way above his weight. Yes, they were wiped out, but only after taking (and destroying) the most broken, overpowered bullshit Haman's loyalists could throw at them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Burns posted:

Newtypes were good in the early show when they still had thematic relevance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Glemmy did iron out most of the kinks with the later Ple clones, though. From Ple II onwards, they were frighteningly effective weapons, and having an entire army of up-gunned Qubeleys let him punch way above his weight. Yes, they were wiped out, but only after taking (and destroying) the most broken, overpowered bullshit Haman's loyalists could throw at them.

See, I would say the opposite. The Qubeleys showed themselves to be effective but not particularly more effective, and certainly not the Ultimate Newtype Warriors Glemey claimed them to be. They gave him a quick on-demand army that was threatening but not threatening enough to necessarily justify the idea of a clone army as a regular thing. At the end of the day giving one good pilot a Geymalk or Quin Mantha probably is both cheaper and more effective than a dozen Ple clone. You are limited to needing strong Newtype pilots for things like that but ZZ Gundam kind of emphasizes the idea that in Newtype warfare a singular good pilot is a game changer.

Droyer posted:

Newtypes were good in the early show when they still had thematic relevance.

Yeah, Newtypes are most interesting when they are focused on weird psychic poo poo and thematic relevance instead of when they show how big your power level is.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Narrative at least seemed like it wanted to do something with Unicorn's dumb "newtypes have god hacks now" ending, for about five minutes before it forgot it was supposed to be about anything at all.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 29, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Burns posted:

It gets stupid later but I think the underlying idea of reaching towards a future of communication and understanding is important to the recipe, so to speak; without it, you basically just have Mil-SF Setting #79.

Newtypes also justify the ultimate truth of the entire franchise, at least in UC's setting. What they ought to do is try and start some kind of UC2 or UC Cinematic Universe since they've kind of thoroughly plowed out the timeline.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Narrative at least seemed like it wanted to do something with Unicorn's dumb "newtypes have god hacks now" ending, for about five minutes before it forgot it was supposed to be about anything at all.

What it "wanted to do" was establish why everyone wants a pocket Newtype again, which is already well trod territory and leaves Narrative with being giant robot DBZ.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Narrative sucked real bad and I'm still mad about it!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The main protagonist and antagonist of Narrative are just awful. The MC has no agency whatsoever and the villain is just an evil guy with a stupid design.

It couldn't even really be bothered to give us some cool new mechs, since the narrative was okay at best and the Sinanju stein already existed. Everything else was just a rehash of stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

From Ple II onwards, they were frighteningly effective weapons, and having an entire army of up-gunned Qubeleys let him punch way above his weight. Yes, they were wiped out

Only a few of them are killed battling Chara Soon, and a half dozen or more of their fates are left ambiguous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Narrative sucked real bad and I'm still mad about it!

Narrative sucked real bad and I still can't bring myself to care terribly much about it.

Where Unicorn was a bunch of interesting ideas and side characters orbiting a really dull lead, Narrative is nothing happening around a somehow even duller lead.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The ship battle inside Texas Colony in the Gundam novel kicks assk

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just noticed that G Gen Cross Rays, along with Super Robot Wars T, V and X are on sale on the Japanese Nintendo eShop. All four have English subs so far as I know, so I'm tempted to get one. I've never played any of that type of tactical RPG though; so is there one of them that's better than the others in terms of systems? Or even just series available, story, interactions, alternate routes etc?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tsob posted:

I just noticed that G Gen Cross Rays, along with Super Robot Wars T, V and X are on sale on the Japanese Nintendo eShop. All four have English subs so far as I know, so I'm tempted to get one. I've never played any of that type of tactical RPG though; so is there one of them that's better than the others in terms of systems? Or even just series available, story, interactions, alternate routes etc?

So the G Gen series is entirely focused on Gundam and is going to have the most widely available set of Gundams. I also feel it is overall a much weaker series than Super Robot Wars since the only stages are basically just playing through the plots of SEED, Wing, IBO etc with the end goal just replaying stages on higher difficulties to grind out more suits.

Super Robot Wars, by contrast, is focused on having its own story by basically mashing a bunch of series into a single world and playing a game that meshes their stories together along with its own original plot. It has a ton of route splits, secrets and actually functions as a game rather than a Gundam suit collection simulator.

V, X, and T form a loose trilogy in that order though all are stand-alone games. They have some minor mechanical updates in each title, and the translation is better as they go on, but honestly I'd pick them based on which has the series you're interested in. For Gundam, all feature Z, ZZ, CCA, and Crossbones. V also features the 00 movie and SEED Destiny, X has G-Reco, F91, and Wing and T features G Gundam. If you like other mecha series they have some pretty varied casts with V having Evangelion and Full Metal Panic!, X having TTGL and Code Geass, T having VOTOMs and Cowboy Bebop etc.

Personally I really liked X the most though common consensus is that they rank as V > T > X. If you do want to play V or X I'd play them before T just because T actually finally introduced one of the most amazing QOL changes SRW ever made (the combat preview actually shows if you or the enemy is projected to be shot down instead of forcing you to do complex math or feel it out with your gut) and its hard to go back

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Come visit the SRW thread for more information on SRW and G Generation games.

Also double check that the Japanese version has English subs; my understanding was that there was an Asian version through Singapore and/or HK that does but the Japan release was Japanese language only.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zore posted:

So the G Gen series is entirely focused on Gundam and is going to have the most widely available set of Gundams. I also feel it is overall a much weaker series than Super Robot Wars since the only stages are basically just playing through the plots of SEED, Wing, IBO etc with the end goal just replaying stages on higher difficulties to grind out more suits.

Super Robot Wars, by contrast, is focused on having its own story by basically mashing a bunch of series into a single world and playing a game that meshes their stories together along with its own original plot. It has a ton of route splits, secrets and actually functions as a game rather than a Gundam suit collection simulator.

V, X, and T form a loose trilogy in that order though all are stand-alone games. They have some minor mechanical updates in each title, and the translation is better as they go on, but honestly I'd pick them based on which has the series you're interested in. For Gundam, all feature Z, ZZ, CCA, and Crossbones. V also features the 00 movie and SEED Destiny, X has G-Reco, F91, and Wing and T features G Gundam. If you like other mecha series they have some pretty varied casts with V having Evangelion and Full Metal Panic!, X having TTGL and Code Geass, T having VOTOMs and Cowboy Bebop etc.

Personally I really liked X the most though common consensus is that they rank as V > T > X. If you do want to play V or X I'd play them before T just because T actually finally introduced one of the most amazing QOL changes SRW ever made (the combat preview actually shows if you or the enemy is projected to be shot down instead of forcing you to do complex math or feel it out with your gut) and its hard to go back

V also had Unicorn and Hathaway's Flash

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Midjack posted:

Come visit the SRW thread for more information on SRW and G Generation games.

Also double check that the Japanese version has English subs; my understanding was that there was an Asian version through Singapore and/or HK that does but the Japan release was Japanese language only.

This is correct, I'm not sure about G Generation but Super Robot Wars only has the (actually really well done) english translation on the SE Asian version, not the Japanese version. You can buy it through the Hong Kong eshop.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

X has Wataru and Nadia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJnb4C4PNE

T has Magic Knight Rayearth and Captain Harlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rp3BP-uqs

Personally I rank them T>V>X, but they all have something to love.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

T's also got the "decade long trio", where it's a plot point that Amuro, Bright, Ryoma from Getter, and Koji from Mazinger were all on the White Base during the OYW, and pretty much constantly give each other poo poo about the old days. It's pretty fun and plays off the way ZZ and CCA are actually part of the min plot in T rather than just being things that happened in the past.

It's also interesting how different Char is in the three games. He's dead before the game starts in V, is isekai'd in the middle of CCA, and is in his post-Zeta funk at the start of T.

Which also plays into very different Char arcs in X and T. X's Char is Char at his worst, working with any other villains just to get a shot at Amuro again.

Meanwhile, Char in T is secretly a good guy.

To be clear, he's still Char, which means he's ruining people's lives like crazy, hates any form of responsibility, and mainly is motivated by spite, but the big reveal at the end of his villain arc was how he was plotting against the real villains.

(Partially so people will stop asking him to do things.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning that with Char being dead in V, leads to them doing some interesting things with Full Frontal in that game

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
An upside to G-Generation's "you just play through the Gundam series plots" thing is that it's a way to experience some of the non-anime side stories in at least a partially voiced and narrated form that are otherwise less accessible unless you like chasing down fan translations or long out of print manga releases

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It's mostly post-series, but one of the timelines you can visit in SRW V has a backstory where the war depicted in SEED and Destiny became an absolute clusterfuck because Celestial Being (and later A-Laws) got involved, and so did the Nadescio.

Like, Shinn 100% had to do battle with Setsuna on a few occasions in this war too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MechaX posted:

It's mostly post-series, but one of the timelines you can visit in SRW V has a scenario where the war depicted in SEED and Destiny became an absolute clusterfuck because Celestial Being (and later A-Laws) got involved, and so did the Nadescio.

X goes even crazier where you had one timeline with the characters from Wing, Zeta, ZZ and F91 involved in a fun mashup with Code Geass' war and Endless Waltz happening followed by them all getting Isekai'd during CCA.

Most of the UC cast really, really hates Zechs.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MechaX posted:

It's mostly post-series, but one of the timelines you can visit in SRW V has a backstory where the war depicted in SEED and Destiny became an absolute clusterfuck because Celestial Being (and later A-Laws) got involved, and so did the Nadescio.

Like, Shinn 100% had to do battle with Setsuna on a few occasions in this war too.

I thought it was Kira who they say fought against Setsuna in the Exia in V?

And yes, the UC Gundam storyline in the second and third quarters of X are basically a long procession of people dumping on Char. Twice in the game there's a exchange that goes almost verbatim "I see you cut your hair short from when you were Quattro" "Yes, I did" "It looks bad on you." Also included is a bit where Bellri from G-Reco directly tells Char he's a shortsighted moron and backs his point up with evidence.

X also has my favorite ever variation of the Wing Zero Bunker Buster in Super Robot Wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

And yes, the UC Gundam storyline in the second and third quarters of X are basically a long procession of people dumping on Char. Twice in the game there's a exchange that goes almost verbatim "I see you cut your hair short from when you were Quattro" "Yes, I did" "It looks bad on you." Also included is a bit where Bellri from G-Reco directly tells Char he's a shortsighted moron and backs his point up with evidence.

X also has my favorite ever variation of the Wing Zero Bunker Buster in Super Robot Wars.

No, it was Shin. Destiny played out as it did in canon for the most part so Shin fought against people. Celestial Being was on Orb's side. Shin has some moments of feeling awkward about what he did which is why he doesn't re-unlock SEED mode and his full combat capabilities until later in the game.

A big part of that is that Celestial Being was connected to the Cross Ange plot as part of an organization to help defeat Embryo. Lacus Clyne was actually the descendent of one of the ancient human races and the Freedom Gundam was based off Vilkiss.

SRWV's crossover plot is loving bonkers and I love it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MechaX posted:

If I recall correctly it also tied into the events of Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3 as well

ImpAtom posted:

No, it was Shin. Destiny played out as it did in canon for the most part so Shin fought against people. Celestial Being was on Orb's side. Shin has some moments of feeling awkward about what he did which is why he doesn't re-unlock SEED mode and his full combat capabilities until later in the game.

A big part of that is that Celestial Being was connected to the Cross Ange plot as part of an organization to help defeat Embryo. Lacus Clyne was actually the descendent of one of the ancient human races and the Freedom Gundam was based off Vilkiss.

SRWV's crossover plot is loving bonkers and I love it.

Shinn also dunks on the Cross Ange cast when he first shows up in what's probably one of the funniest bits in a recent SRW game

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Which leads into T, where

Char's whole plan is to get people to dump on him.

Unfortunately, it turned out the "And then everyone leaves me alone forever!" part of the plan didn't work out, and then when he joined with the heroes, his awful reputation made it so everyone believed it when the villains framed them for an attempted colony drop, because, as even Char admitted, it seemed like a total Char thing to do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

V also has a villain that steals all of the natto in japan to destroy it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moving for a moment from real videogames about fictional robots to fake video games about real model kits, the manual's out for the new Build Divers kits, even if the show's delayed, and they explain what the Saturnix was designed for.

Apparently, Hirito built it as a counter to IBO suits. Pure brute force damage means he doesn't have to worry about nano-laminate, and boosted strength lets him fight them evenly on their own terms.

Kinda neat how it fits with the whole MMO premise. Of course there'd be players trying to exploit the advantages of one type of MS, and of course someone like Hirito would make plans to counter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

No, it was Shin. Destiny played out as it did in canon for the most part so Shin fought against people. Celestial Being was on Orb's side.

:psyduck:

As loose as SRW plays with plots, was that a "just go with it" plot point or was their token explanation for why Celestial Being would do something so wildly out of character?