Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cardiovorax posted:

The Red9 with the stock is basically a mini-rifle in terms of accuracy and power and it wants to be used that way, so if you prefer firing a lot of bullets quickly, the Blacktail can be the better choice for you.

Which is definitely not something to discount, either. Those are the best pistols in the game, but which one you like better is a matter of personal preference. I prefer the Blacktail, but I won't poo poo on someone who likes the Red9 better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Is the Blacktail the one that can shoot through multiple baddies? Whichever one does that always sounds neat, but I rarely did it in practice. Describing Red 9 as effectively a smaller rifle makes sense, that's basically my preferred playstyle so it's the one I like.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, you're thinking of the Punisher. That one can occasionally pierce through enemies. The Blacktail's basic handgun's gimmick is that it has a higher crit rate, which basically translates to exploding heads much like in other RE games. Since Plagas are predetermined, this isn't actually a downside either.

And yeah, I'm a precision shooting type of guy myself. Making every shot count and getting the most out of every bullet is my preferred playstyle, so the Red9 gels very well with me. If you put the stock on it, it has the least sway and the highest useful range of any of the handguns, which makes it ideal for headshot-juggling Ganados at mid range and taking enemies down before they ever get a chance to come close enough that rate of fire is more useful than straight damage. Used right, you basically never need another weapon for most of the game. It's the Plasma Cutter of RE4.

e: sorry, mixed up the guns.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 29, 2020

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Cardiovorax posted:

No, you're thinking of the Punisher. That one can occasionally pierce through enemies. The Blacktail's gimmick is that it has a higher crit rate, which basically translates to exploding heads much like in other RE games. Since Plagas are predetermined, this isn't actually a downside either.

I thought that was the final upgrade of the regular handgun? Actually I've never used the Blacktail but it looks to be across the board the most balanced of the handguns. The wiki says it has the highest DPS due to it's insane rate of fire which is pretty cool.

Team Red9 here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh, yeah, you're right. Sorry, I mixed up the names there. Somehow the Blacktail got stuck in my memory as being the basic handgun.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The basic Handgun kinda blows though, because it has terrible aiming waver unlike its later counterparts, and the exclusive upgrade comes so late as to be useless.
The Punisher is also the weakest pistol, which means you have to get a lot of mileage out of its piercing ability to make it worthwhile, which you probably won't. There are very few situations where you wouldn't just use a shotgun or grenade or something instead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Remind me, do gun upgrades get retained if a gun is sold, or into new game plus?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Into a NG+ yes, but not when they are sold. You do get a lot more money for an upgraded gun when you sell it, though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I remember GameFAQs RE4 message boards having a drat WAR over which people prefered the Blacktail or the Red9 back when the game first came out. Oh how young we all were

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I really wanna play some RE4 again now, but I've got so many other games too :emo:

e: what the hell, may as well finally download my Switch copy at least, maybe I'll check it off on yet another console

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 30, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Chiming in to say god drat, I still can't acclimate myself to the Wii RE4 controls and I have shot hundreds of bullets into the sky for some reason.

the upside to this is that I'm seriously playing survival horror (low bullets/health and searching frantically for poo poo) and my son is having a blast watching me get wrecked so it's still fun but I keep expecting the button layout to click eventually and it's just not. Still pretty cool haven forgotten most of the game so it feels fresh again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Chiming in to say god drat, I still can't acclimate myself to the Wii RE4 controls and I have shot hundreds of bullets into the sky for some reason.

Huh....I don't remember the exact controls, but I think it's something a bit weird, like moving the field of view around with the stick and then aiming within that area with the remote? I remember it feeling really weird at first but then it clicked after a bit. Maybe my brain would think differently now, having played roughly one billion games with more conventional shooter controls since then.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Be replaying Revelations 2, and I have to say, Moria actually did grow on me(character arc was efffecitve. )do hope she makes at an apperance in Some of the future games.

Revelations 2 really was a the weird transition title from the RE Action era back to the RE Horror style. It’s interesting to look back on it in hindsight.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Frog Act posted:

so I'm playing RE4 for the first time ever, and I'm really enjoying it. i've been holding onto fancy treasures and gems that seem to be combinable with other things on the assumption i'll make more pesetas that way

If you inspect the obviously bigger treasures it’ll say whether or not something can be inserted into it or whatever. Some of them don’t have that and can be sold at the first opportunity. However there is an “area” limit on several treasures, as in there are some points of no return and if you didn’t get all the pieces then you can’t go back for them and may as well sell what you have.

It can be worth it to buy the treasure map if you want to find them all, you’ll come out on top with money and then you can remember where they are for next time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Blacktail vs Red 9 was my childhood

Lol it's obviously Blacktail.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red 9 looks way cooler and that is the only thing that matters.

Besides a handgun isn't for killing, it is for shooting knees so you can bodyslam.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh....I don't remember the exact controls, but I think it's something a bit weird, like moving the field of view around with the stick and then aiming within that area with the remote? I remember it feeling really weird at first but then it clicked after a bit. Maybe my brain would think differently now, having played roughly one billion games with more conventional shooter controls since then.

That's my issue, yes. I keep forgetting to aim with the stick and wind up shooting the ground or the sky a lot. Also can never remember all the little hot buttons for items and maps. Still having fun but by chapter 3 I'm still wrestling with this.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Red 9 looks way cooler and that is the only thing that matters.

Besides a handgun isn't for killing, it is for shooting knees so you can bodyslam.

That's why I was a red9 man. It seemed like it had really good stun and stagger so I would shoot knees and suplex everyone

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It just occurred to me, in the 2 and 3make, there was a stalker on your rear end during the game. If they remade the first in that style, would there still be a stalker? If so, who do you think it would be? I think it'd be goddamn terrifying for Lisa Trevor to follow you through the mansion's halls.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
In hindsight, Capcom kinda shot themselves in the foot with the RE3 demo. It set an expectation that Nemesis would be stalking you like that the whole game, which was one disappointment, but with that segment being the only real "stalking" area, it also meant that people were already familiar with it and could speed through, further reducing stalking time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I agree with most of what people have said about REMake 3, but I’m surprised to hear that people found the dodge mechanic so difficult. The only time I got grabbed by zombies was when I forgot about it.

The slow-mo time thing tho, I have no idea what triggers that. It surprises me every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

The slow-mo time thing tho, I have no idea what triggers that. It surprises me every time.
You have to press and hold the left trigger (or whatever your "raise your gun" button is) right as you dodge. The timing is pretty tight, but once you figure it out, it's not difficult to do consistently.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

It just occurred to me, in the 2 and 3make, there was a stalker on your rear end during the game. If they remade the first in that style, would there still be a stalker? If so, who do you think it would be? I think it'd be goddamn terrifying for Lisa Trevor to follow you through the mansion's halls.

REmake had Crimson Heads, Capcom could maybe adapt them to be more aggressive in hunting you.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I will say that the REMake controls feel a lot less suited to RE3 than RE2. (Yes, I realize that the original would be even less suited.)

They didn’t feel lacking in RE2 because it was cramped spaces, fewer enemies, and overall a slower, more determined pace of gameplay. But having come off of the exquisite mobility of RE6, I can’t help but want more out of my options in REMake 3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's a common complaint. The engine isn't really made for that kind of action-focused gameplay and it shows a little.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

RE6’s suite of mobility options is just so good that I feel truly disappointed that its dismal reception means that we won’t see them reflected in other (better) action games until a decade from now, when people who played RE6 as impressionable youths start making games.

Edit: holy poo poo it has been almost a decade since RE6 released

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RE6 Mercenaries is an improved Vanquish.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a reason people say it's a wrestling game where you just have guns incidentally.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shame on Capcom really for cheaping out on 3 and outsourcing it, thinking they'd get away with it off the goodwill earned from 2. But ya know, the t or g viruses have nothing on capitalism which infects everything in this world

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They didn't outsource it, though? As far as I know it was developed mostly in-house, just by a different team than RE2make, with some assistance from studios consisting mostly of former Platinum Games developers. The game they fully outsources was Resistance.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

Shame on Capcom really for cheaping out on 3 and outsourcing it, thinking they'd get away with it off the goodwill earned from 2. But ya know, the t or g viruses have nothing on capitalism which infects everything in this world

Yeah this absolutely not true.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No they are right, capitalism is poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leon [shaking hair out of face]: You're going down, Sadler! And capitalism too!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nonsense. Like Krauser, he's American. Clearly Leon has come to oppress the Communist Ganado proletariat, where everyone is equal under brain bugs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ErrEff posted:

REmake had Crimson Heads, Capcom could maybe adapt them to be more aggressive in hunting you.
Yeah, I don't think a stalker enemy is a great fit for RE1*, given that the finale features Wesker triumphantly introducing "the ultimate bioweapon". Like, the player would just go "So, like the thing that's been pursuing me but actually killable?"

Taking the Crimson Head idea and running with it seems like a much better idea, letting them explore the simple homemade zombie to its fullest. Since there are far fewer zombies around in the mansion, and seldom more than two in any room, they could really go nuts with the dismemberment system - which would matter a whole lot more if the zombie you just shot the arms off and "killed" will come back to life at some point and start bumbling around the mansion.

*The standard campaign at least. A Wesker campaign where she's specifically hunting him would make sense.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Crimson Heads are an annoying nuisance and the only thing worse would be Crimson Heads that actively follow you around. They're bad enough when they're stuck in whatever room you originally killed them in. I would refuse to play an RE game where every zombie you kill is a potential hazard that will eventually chase you down.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

codo27 posted:

Where is this idea even coming from. Games are so big these days that the vast majority of big titles, RE2make included, have the core team work together with several external parties. This isn't outsourcing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Capcom legitimately did outsource Resident Evil: Resistance to a third-party studio and the style of RE3make is very different from RE2make. It's an easy mistake to make.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I would hope that for a theoretical re-REmake they just give the zombies complete free roam of the mansion, excluding save rooms. The mansion is incredibly cramped and claustrophobic so the threat of constantly bumping in to some zombies would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

Crimson Heads are an annoying nuisance and the only thing worse would be Crimson Heads that actively follow you around. They're bad enough when they're stuck in whatever room you originally killed them in. I would refuse to play an RE game where every zombie you kill is a potential hazard that will eventually chase you down.
I meant more bumbling around in the general area they belong to. They definitely shouldn't stalk you, just kinda amble about because they sort of have leftover habits from when they were alive, habits that these zombies stick to because they actually used to work there. A little storytelling basically, with Dog Punisher Zombie hanging out in the kennel area, a gardener zombie in the garden area, and so on, while a former guard or janitor zombie could be more mobile. Basically a way for the base game to have some variability, where you can learn that a given area has a given number of zombies, but you can't be sure exactly where they're gonna be when you show up. Sorta like the routines for Hitman NPCs, except there's even less of a point to what they're doing.

Multiple stalking enemies would just end up with Jill pursued by a train of zombies.

Mindblast posted:

Where is this idea even coming from. Games are so big these days that the vast majority of big titles, RE2make included, have the core team work together with several external parties. This isn't outsourcing.
It definitely is, though not in the typical gamer meaning.