Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Nah I doubt it. If it was one of my closer friends I would've already known about it so they, at most, would be an acquaintance. Plus screw performing (yuck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
well if you or anyone else listens to them and think they're worthwhile I'll add them to the OP as a resource. I don't want to just throw it in there if they don't know what they're talking about or are spreading bad info but I tried to listen to one and made it about 15 minutes in and have zero memory of what was said so I won't be able to review them :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's another wave of new stuff headed to Futekiya; I recognize a lot of these titles because they've been available elsewhere but having them under the subscription instead of having to buy them individually will be nice

https://futekiya.com/futekiya-adds-35-boys-love-bl-manga-from-julian-publishing-to-library/ posted:

A House Near The Station With A Wizard by Yuumi Imai
All I Think About Is You by Yupopo Orishima
Anti Platonic by Yupopo Orishima
Blue Sky Wars by Tsutomu
Boring Ninomiya-san by Mitsunaga Hirama
Bothersome Hours by Yuji Toriba
Cherry and Skirt by ko
Child X Adult Equation by Mayami
Contract Of Cherry Blossom Guilt by Fukiya Furo
Foolish Heroine by Moto Amino
Get The Key To My Heart by Emi Mitsuki
I Want To Feel You Because I Like You by Noda Matsumoto
If I Hadn’t Fallen in Love with You by Suji
Kiss My Blood by Sachi Umino
Love Blooms for a Twisted Blossom by Saori Nobana
Love Voice by Hongou
Mad Venus and My Honey by Kimiko Kobori
Orison: A Wish A Prayer by Seina Anji
Passions Of Little Wet Mice by Rihara
Possessed By A Ghost by Una Donburi
Public Sex by Rihara
Scent of Spring by Tsutomu
Secret of My Uniform by Hanmi Itoyoshi
Show Courage by Noda Matsumoto
Sweet Beast by Suji
Teacup Toy Boy by Cana Umino
The Demon Wants To Be A Good Boy by Memo Kamiya
The Job Of A (Temporary) Teacher by Aomaru
The Perfect Combo by Fumio Oketsu
The Twisted King and I by Agaccho
Tie Me, Unravel Me, Kiss Me by Emi Mitsuki
Welcome! To the BL Research Club by Haruta
Whimsical Jaguar by Unohana
Wish of God by Jugoro Isaka
You Are My Princess by Hiroto Kujirada

I also saw a post on twitter where they replied to somebody asking about print-on-demand and said they'd been looking into it; nothing definite but that would address the issue of wanting to have your own forever copy of stuff if they figure out how to implement it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want to spam all the new Renta pickups but thought this one was noteworthy since it's a new (old) Shoko Hidaka title and I'm a little surprised to see it:
https://twitter.com/Renta_Yaoi/status/1262590164888502272?s=20

god if only they'd rescue the poo poo June is sitting on
e: I didn't think about it right away but I hope they also pick up the sequels :o

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 19, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like how futekiya is doing these little explainer blog posts: https://futekiya.com/what-is-geicomi/

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

I really like how futekiya is doing these little explainer blog posts: https://futekiya.com/what-is-geicomi/

would you have any links to any of these?

also keep spamin yr doin the lords work

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Incubus-kun Can't Do His Job

:flaccid:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

atrus50 posted:

would you have any links to any of these?

also keep spamin yr doin the lords work

Here are the ones I remember seeing, there might be more but if they are they didn't tag them well enough for me to find quickly:
What is Geicomi?
What is Boys' Love?
BL vs Yaoi vs Shounen-ai
Exploring the Sociocultural Impact of Boys’ Love in Asia with James Welker

& if you check their boys love tag there are some other posts but the ones I didn't link were things like how to shop at a Japanese used bookstore or convention guides, but new ones should also show up in that tag in the future.

They've also done several interviews.

e: I think I'll add those 4 to the OP and finally put in some other links I've been meaning to add to the list

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 24, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ace representation is something I'm kind of personally interested in so I've been taking note of when a character could potentially be interpreted that way. I have yet to find a BL that states outright both that it features an asexual character and also doesn't eventually develop into a sexual relationship so if that's what you're looking for, these are not going to cut it lol. (They might be out there, but so far I haven't run across one.) In general, since most of the time the main focus of a BL manga is a relationship and usually sex, it's not something that gets explored in any depth or even stated in concrete terms but here are a few that (imo anyway) have characters that could be viewed as asexual and/or aromantic, at least if you squint a bit :sun:
Feel free to disagree with my interpretation, this was entirely based on a) my own feelings & how I related to these characters and b) some wishful thinking and I freely admit that some of these are kind of a stretch.

Delivery Hug Therapy
Starting off with a new & incomplete one, sorry. In the first chapter the MC takes the position that dating and sex is too much trouble, and also doesn't realize that the deep friendship and feeling of loss he had for his male best friend who just got married was probably love and now he's heartbroken. Obviously there is a relationship brewing with the other lead but I thought the obliviousness toward his feelings plus stated disinterest in sex was pretty relatable.

Sukiyanen Kedo Dou Yaro ka
I'm mentioning this one specifically for the 2nd couple who unfortunately only get 2 chapters. The story is kind of middle of the road and the love interest in this one is really pushy which could be unappealing for folks, but I related a lot to the MC's distate for touching and kissing other people and feeling like sex was an obligation you just had to do to be in a relationship. I also liked (ending spoiler)that once they're together he doesn't immediately say that he loves the other guy even when asked and is going to have to figure out what that means.

Doutei-sama no Omou ga Mama
Honestly I've forgotten the details of this one whoops. I rated it 3/5 in my list so it's not a stand-out story but probably worth checking out :shrug:

Blue Sky Complex
This is just a really great manga in general, but I'm including it because of a conversation they have at one point about sexuality and one MC says he doesn't identify as either gay or straight, never had any interest previously, and that he's only in love with the other MC and if it wasn't him it would be nobody (heavy paraphrase it's been a while since I read that part), and it also takes him a long time to figure out what he's feeling toward the other MC because he doesn't really understand it.

Lie Cry Like
This one is one you sort of have to squint to see it because it's vague toward the love interest's sexuality since it's told almost entirely from the assistant MC's POV and just gives his observations. The actor MC has essentially zero interest in sex with other people until eventually he propositions the assistant and reveals he's never done it before. I like the way their relationship builds slowly as the assistant earns the actor's trust and he doesn't push things and goes at the other guy's pace.

Black or White by Sachimo
Another showbiz one! A big part of this one is each character working out how they feel about each other and the importance of their relationship vs their respective careers, and working toward having a sexual relationship rather than a platonic one. One character has some negative/fearful feelings toward sex and I don't remember all the details of his internal thoughts on the topic anymore but it was enough that I added it to my list.

Usagi no Mori
One character has a very negative association with sex and is repulsed by it. It's also a pretty interesting slow burn between childhood friends with a small age gap so they've spent a lot of time at slightly different stages and the younger one has a lot of feelings of being left behind and wanting to catch up. It's ongoing so I don't know at this point how the sex repulsion the one MC has is going to resolve (I mean, I can guess lol), and the younger MC is a dumb horny teen so he pushes a lot of boundaries in case that is possibly an issue for anyone.

Ano Ko wa Sore wo Gaman Dekinai
(First story specifically) This one features a character who, to me, came across as aromantic although it never uses that specific phrasing. At one point he says "...Let's call my remaining faithful to one man...my verison of love." which tbh I thought was a pretty good way to get the idea across.

No links tonight, sorry. Yall should be able to search and find somewhere to read these; I don't think any of them are licensed. e: I was wrong, that last one is so consider buying it. I even own a copy and completely forgot lmao

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 30, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks for the recc'd list, I will check out soon :3:

Yeah get the same feeling w/josei like it's neat to see ace characters but there's usually then find the Right Person and everything is resolved in the final ch. I've always thought of being ace like a default/major aspect of my personality regardless if I dated or not.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Thanks for the recc'd list, I will check out soon :3:

Yeah get the same feeling w/josei like it's neat to see ace characters but there's usually then find the Right Person and everything is resolved in the final ch. I've always thought of being ace like a default/major aspect of my personality regardless if I dated or not.

Yeah that aspect of it is why I'm like, well this may not really satisfy the need for everyone but I found at least something to relate to with these characters that isn't present at all in a lot of other stories.

I came close to deleting the post last night just because it makes me anxious a little to talk about more personal stuff like that and also since it's a thing I am still kind of...figuring out? so I get a little bit afraid that I'm actually completely wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about :shobon: so I'd be interested to see what you think about these.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of Blue Sky Complex!! :siren:
This is kind of big -- it's the first official English version of anything related to the manga so it would be really nice to support the author and get a copy of this. I just muddled through the purchase process and got a coupon along the way so it's not hard and also not that expensive and maybe with enough support we might someday see an official release of the full manga.
https://twitter.com/k_ickw/status/1266749859916201985?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Yeah that aspect of it is why I'm like, well this may not really satisfy the need for everyone but I found at least something to relate to with these characters that isn't present at all in a lot of other stories.

I came close to deleting the post last night just because it makes me anxious a little to talk about more personal stuff like that and also since it's a thing I am still kind of...figuring out? so I get a little bit afraid that I'm actually completely wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about :shobon: so I'd be interested to see what you think about these.

It's ok :) I'm ace myself, and it's perfectly fine having sex as one if your partner isn't or if you are exploring things. The 'waiting for the right one' thing is poo poo, but w/e :sigh:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's ok :) I'm ace myself, and it's perfectly fine having sex as one if your partner isn't or if you are exploring things. The 'waiting for the right one' thing is poo poo, but w/e :sigh:

thanks :) it's a thing I wasn't aware of even existing for a long time, then when I did know about it after meeting and making friends with some ace folks it didn't occur to me that it was something that could include me because the only people I knew were ones who were 100% zero interest never have never will folks, but over the past couple of years I've been reading a lot and thinking about stuff and recognizing that actually yeah, I fit in here too.

Right now I'm kinda taking what I can get wrt manga but I'm hopeful that the genre will continue to expand to include broader representation and different kinds of stories -- look at how much has changed from how BL used to be after all.

e: unrelated to that, here's a list of all the May 2020 manga releases: https://blprism.wordpress.com/2020/05/30/may-2020-new-releases/

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 30, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
This might be TMI but if it helps you out I hope it's ok. I'm asexual, but I still like sex. I just don't care about having it, nor is it important for me to do. I look back on past sexual experiences fondly, and I wouldn't necessarily say no in the future, but I choose to call myself asexual since I don't feel any sexual urges and that's fine with me. It might be more 'accurate' to say grey-ace but I honestly haven't seen it used in a while, to be honest, and I view asex/aro as a spectrum in any case.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks! That sounds very similar to where I'm at so it does help.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

e: unrelated to that, here's a list of all the May 2020 manga releases: https://blprism.wordpress.com/2020/05/30/may-2020-new-releases/

I haven’t read the whole thing, but I liked the title story of “It's That Disgusting Guy Who Stole My Innocence” quite a bit, and it’s a comedy despite the cover. Two guys are sort-of rivals (one of them is better at most things) and one of them has an unrealized crush that influences his actions.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kusaru posted:

I haven’t read the whole thing, but I liked the title story of “It's That Disgusting Guy Who Stole My Innocence” quite a bit, and it’s a comedy despite the cover. Two guys are sort-of rivals (one of them is better at most things) and one of them has an unrealized crush that influences his actions.

it's got some pretty good gags! idiot x idiot is a good setup too.
e: I liked the dynamic of the couple in the second story and the third story was wild lmao. I was afraid it was going to get weird and tbh it sort of was a little but it was also hilarious and the resolution was great. catboy in an e-collar lmfao

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 31, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been waiting for them to officially announce it so I can post the whole list of their new titles but Futekiya got Momo to Manji and One Room Angel among other things for their next round of licenses and I'm about to explode

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
still waiting on the full list but they put this out so these are probably the big ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi4ZbMvFdlQ

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao Caste Heaven got included in this manga review roundup ANN did

I loathe Caste Heaven personally but there are plenty of folks who dig it so I'd be curious what the fan reaction was to those reviews. But like...there were all sorts of other BL manga released this spring and that's the *only* one they picked in the bunch? I hope they include some of the other books that got released so their BL representation in the article isn't just the absolute shittiest one that came out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:siren: Therapy Game is out tomorrow :siren:

I forgot tbh and happened to be looking up something else and decided to check, very excited to get my copy :toot:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1271501309389275138?s=20

KUMA did a really fantastic job with their print version of Melting Lover so I have high expectations for the quality of this one (plus it's a really great comic)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1273377199052263424?s=20

I love this one!!
e: here's the rest of the list, that was the only BL one tho https://kodanshacomics.com/2020/06/17/spring_2021_new_licensing_announcements/

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 17, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/boysloveparty/status/1273730558363918336?s=20
thread of BL podcasts

If anyone checks out a podcast and would recommend it let me know and I'll add it to the links in the 2nd post.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
This is a rather cute little bl story that I came across on mangadex. I'ts a short story and kinda derivative but still pretty fun

https://mangadex.org/title/7880

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Fujinotobi/status/1274083349393371136

I got a month's sub on futekiya w/some spare change and her manga is very cute.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
hadn't been in the mood to post much with all the stuff going on (plus I got busy at work too I somehow have three jobs now)

but

we have Given movie info -- new date:
https://twitter.com/given_anime/status/1278886180659003398?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

hadn't been in the mood to post much with all the stuff going on (plus I got busy at work too I somehow have three jobs now)

but

we have Given movie info -- new date:
https://twitter.com/given_anime/status/1278886180659003398?s=20

I can't find a squee emote

Also, the manga in Alder's post is very Rumiko Takahashi. I suppose its the ranmaesque shirt

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Also, the manga in Alder's post is very Rumiko Takahashi. I suppose its the ranmaesque shirt

it's super cute :3 I like everything I've read by them

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Licensing info:
https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1279171233888731137?s=20 (this info also came out a while back but this is a more official announcement I guess)

https://twitter.com/blprism_/status/1279157297563013120?s=20 looks pretty interesting. I haven't read anything by them but the author also wrote Castle Mango which I've heard is good, so I'll probably check this out.

quote:

Al is a vampire who accidentally gets frozen and shipped all the way to Japan from Nebraska. After changing back into his human form he finds himself naked, and locked in a prison cell. All he wants is to return home and satisfy his hunger.
4 volumes and ongoing as well, wow -- I didn't realize until just now that it was that long

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 4, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I can't find a squee emote

:neckbeard:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

:neckbeard:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the first episode of The Titan's Bride and started to write out something of a review of it + the manga but decided I didn't really want to post a long-form review of what is basically porn on here. Anyway in a nutshell if it's something you're interested in just stick to the manga imo. Smut adaptions always end up being sort of creepy and gross once you add sounds and voice acting and cheap animation (although to be fair for what it is, the animation could probably be worse :v: )

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 7, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah.... Written or drawn smut is leagues ahead, always. Also more boring.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ok I just wanted to share this little collection of interrelated stories: https://mangadex.org/title/49495

It's very cute and really only gets little a smutty towards the end, as a treat.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that one is really cute :3:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Speaking of cute, xposting in here in the very small chance there is less than 1:1 mapping of shoujo thread followers to BL thread followers:

edit: For a less het example of cute, there is this: https://mangadex.org/title/49193/sutemi-no-koubousen

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Speaking of cute, xposting in here in the very small chance there is less than 1:1 mapping of shoujo thread followers to BL thread followers:

Oh I didn't see that one had updated; I read the first couple of chapters and it was pretty cute, I'll have to read the rest later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJJ0iQhgpI

the manga for this is really good so if you have a chance definitely read it -- The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window