Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

One friend got this list from another friend for 1080p gaming and then asked me for a 2nd opinion. Please comment on my thoughts below.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($299.99 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case ($57.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($76.69 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-21 17:08 EDT-0400

- Don't think he specifically requested ITX. Any reason to do that?
- Mobo is unavailable but I know the VRMs are better on MSI B450s. But I also know nothing of ITX.
- RAM would be fine at DDR4-3200
- Definitely don't need that Samsung drive. If ITX fits 2.5" I'd probably just get a 1TB of another brand. Any recs?
- I don't follow mid range GPUs much, so not as sure about this particular 1660ti
- Don't know about ITX cases
- How is this PSU? I like Supernovas.

Any thoughts on this from a number of pages back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

KingKapalone posted:

The big thing is there is absolutely no reason to do mini-ITX unless you MUST have something tiny. Otherwise you're just limiting your options and making it more of a pain in the rear end to work with.

WD Blue SN550 is a good bargain SSD for socket M.2. The 970 Evo has been overtaken by the Evo Plus as well, but the markup for Samsung probably isn't worth it.

e: Bronze power supply is very ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh as well, spring for Gold rated IMO. The 3 year warranty is a red flag it's crap, look for like 5-10 or something.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 29, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KingKapalone posted:

Samsung SSDs are overpriced, compared to competitive NVMe drives like HP EX920/950, Adata XPG SX8200, WD SN750, Sabrent Rocket (not-Q)
Right now a WD SN750 500gb is in stock @ newegg for $70.

The 1660Ti is a bad buy -- it performs a couple percent better than a much cheaper 1660 Super, and for $300 the EVGA 2060 KO is better. (There's also the 5700 in that territory though that might not be a great pick for a SFF build, they're hotter.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

KingKapalone posted:

Samsung drives are overpriced, you can get a SATA SSD the same size for $30 less or twice the capacity for $15 more (MX500), or for NVME for $20-30 less / $30-40 more (Inland Premium, Sabrent Rocket).

I'm not familiar with that motherboard specifically, but a cursory glance at reviews look good. That said, you pay more for ITX so if its not a requirement I would chose a different form factor.

The 1660Ti has been replaced by the 1660S, same performance, $60 cheaper.

The PSU only has a 3 year warranty which is not a good sign but the whole PSU market is hosed right now.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Agent355 posted:

I didn't consider hooking up all my rgb poo poo. I think I have maybe 4 pieces that need an RGB header, I should double check to see if my mobo has enough slots for that or if I have to buy a controller thing. I've never done RGB before so I should probably check out youtube to see how that poo poo hooks up.

E: I have case fans an a CPU cooler that need plugging in, my motherboard has 2 headers and the fans can be daisy chained. So it's going to depend on whether I can daisy chain all the fans together. I might need to buy an extension wire or control box or something but I should be able to leave that decision for the day of the build.

Yeah daisy chaining was my plan for the fans for 1 header, then CPU cooler in my other header. Since I bought the wrong fans though its back to researching a good 4pin option.

It's weird, I've never been one for RGB or case lights and actually thought they were a huge waste of money. Then I happened to buy a cooler and RAM that had RGB, just due to what was available due to COVID.
Once I saw this CPU and ram all lit up I was just on board. It's neat!

My CPU cooler is a Wraith Prism. I wonder if I can get just the fan portion as a case fan. At least then everything would match.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 29, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If one were to build a spreadsheet of 'what bottlenecks what', can anyone think of a better source for data than manually pulling figures from GN's charts?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

KingKapalone posted:

It seems unlikely he would just randomly stumble into an mITX build. There is a SFF/mITX thread that would probably be more helpful with specific mITX questions/recommendations. mITX builds, especially with cases under 20L (> 20L cases tend to build more like a traditional PC), tend to have limitations with regard to GPU length/depth, PSU size and cooling options which vary by each individual case. The SFFPC sub-reddit has a few sidebar spreadsheets that have more details for specific cases ("recommended parts for beginners"). That GPU choice may have something to do with case fitment, as it looks like that is a relatively short card.

For mITX (again, especially for smaller cases like the SG13), I'd recommend sticking with an m2 SSD, as it can make building/fitting everything in such a small case much easier. However, there are much cheaper m2 NVMe options than the 970 Evo that will still perform great.

Worth noting that while the SG13 can fit an ATX PSU, most other mITX cases in its size range cannot (they require SFX PSUs). So if he sticks with mITX but switches to a different case, it's likely he'll need a smaller PSU.

For RAM, I'd switch to something lower profile, like Corsair Vengeance LPX or Curcial Ballistix (for example), as these will give more options WRT CPU coolers. With mITX in general you're usually trying to shove as much heatsink as possible into a small case (when air cooling), and high profile RAM can interfere with the recommended options for some cases.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

keep it down up there! posted:

Yeah daisy chaining was my plan for the fans for 1 header, then CPU cooler in my other header. Since I bought the wrong fans though its back to researching a good 4pin option.

It's weird, I've never been one for RGB or case lights and actually thought they were a huge waste of money. Then I happened to buy a cooler and RAM that had RGB, just due to what was available due to COVID.
Once I saw this CPU and ram all lit up I was just on board. It's neat!

My CPU cooler is a Wraith Prism. I wonder if I can get just the fan portion as a case fan. At least then everything would match.

I'm probably just ignorant on the subject but I've been trying to figure out exactly what sort of pins and headers the fans, coolers, and mobo use to see if it's all compatible.

I don't know if that sort of compatibility is checked by PCpartpicker, but it didn't wave any yellow flags at me.

I guess there are 5v 3 pin options and 12v 4 pin options and I'm not sure if one is considered better than the other or if one is the cheap one or w/e. I made sure all the parts I bought were compatible with the software that controls the mobo on the software side of things, but I didn't think about actual headers.

mobo: https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b450-f-gaming/p/N82E16813119140?Item=N82E16813119140
Fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6MMYTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CPU cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KNKR73/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Some googling looks like the mobo uses a 12v 4pin which is 'RGB', the Fans use a 5v 3pin which is 'ARGB', and the CPU cooler is 12v 4pin.

I guess RGB can only make a part all one color while ARGB can make a part multicolored. Which is fine for me but it means that the fans won't be able to plug into the mobo directly so I need to buy a controller which will then plug into a USB header or w/e? Which I assume fractal makes one.

Anybody clear this up for me?

E: more googling seems to suggest that the cpu cooler will plug into the mobo just fine and be controlled with the aura sync software perfectly compatibly, the mobo doesn't have a 5v 3 pin connector so I need to buy This thing from amazon which will then just plug into a USB header or something.

But then that provides a phsyical method of control and not a software one? Is there a different thing you'd buy as an RGB hub that could be controlled with software?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 29, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Man, you guys weren't kidding about the supply issues. Motherboards and GPUs are brutal to find.

Here's what's actually in stock, or will be in very short order, along with the price points. Do any of these stand out as the best choice? Or a clear "don't buy that one?"

MSI RX 5700 $310 https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r...&quicklink=true
SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5700 XT $400 https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-rad...&quicklink=true
ASRock Radeon RX 5700 $340 https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...&quicklink=true
XFX Radeon RX 5700 $350 https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-rx-57xl83ld8/p/N82E16814150841?Description=rx%205700&cm_re=rx_5700-_-14-150-841-_-Product
XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation $380 https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Triple-Dissipation-Graphics-RX-57XT83LD8/dp/B087J3KM2X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rx+5700&qid=1590779547&sr=8-4
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5700 $370 https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Overclo...90779547&sr=8-3

I definitely like that MSI one that's $50+ cheaper than the alternatives, but if it's a piece of junk comparatively, then so be it. I guess some of the pricier cards come with RE3 and Monster Hunter, and I can offload those keys to offset some/all of the cost difference.

I plan on getting an MSI X570-A PRO AM4 ATX Motherboard https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...RhoCp_IQAvD_BwE

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 29, 2020

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Agent355 posted:

I'm probably just ignorant on the subject but I've been trying to figure out exactly what sort of pins and headers the fans, coolers, and mobo use to see if it's all compatible.

This is the exact problem I had. I'm new to this as well and it was a bit confusing.

I bought those same fans and they do require the controller you linked if you don't have the 3pin plug on your motherboard. Since I wasn't able to sync everything with the motherboard I'm going to return the fans and get something that natively supports 4pin so I can let MSI Mystic Light handle everything.

But if you don't care about syncing, the adapter you linked will work.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You would think that software could still control the RGB through the controller. I might have to return the fans as well or just live with manual control.

I have an idea of what I want for a color scheme and it's nothing complicated like tying it to temperature or w/e, so maybe I can just use the manual controller to set it to the right color config and leave it alone.

Or use the manual one to get something close to what I want and then match it as nearly as possible with the software so it's basically synched but I wouldn't be able to easily change it on a whim.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Man, you guys weren't kidding about the supply issues. Motherboards and GPUs are brutal to find.

Here's what's actually in stock, or will be in very short order, along with the price points. Do any of these stand out as the best choice? Or a clear "don't buy that one?"

MSI RX 5700 $310 https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r...&quicklink=true
SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5700 XT $400 https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-rad...&quicklink=true
ASRock Radeon RX 5700 $340 https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...&quicklink=true
XFX Radeon RX 5700 $350 https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-rx-57xl83ld8/p/N82E16814150841?Description=rx%205700&cm_re=rx_5700-_-14-150-841-_-Product
XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation $380 https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Triple-Dissipation-Graphics-RX-57XT83LD8/dp/B087J3KM2X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rx+5700&qid=1590779547&sr=8-4
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5700 $370 https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Overclo...90779547&sr=8-3

I definitely like that MSI one that's $50+ cheaper than the alternatives, but if it's a piece of junk comparatively, then so be it. I guess some of the pricier cards come with RE3 and Monster Hunter, and I can offload those keys to offset some/all of the cost difference.

I plan on getting an MSI X570-A PRO AM4 ATX Motherboard https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...RhoCp_IQAvD_BwE

FYI it's now a complete pain in the rear end to transfer the keys - someone just went through it in an SAMart thread and basically it requires logging in to the buyer's steam account and manually adding it. you can't gift it or easily transfer the key.

The 5700 xt Red Dragon is also in stock and is well-reviewed.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay I've been thinking about aesthetics and colors.

My original goal was to have a PC that pulsed between orange and blue (because dumb movie poster tropes) which looks pretty neat. I think you can use aura sync to accomplish that effect but if I can't sync the fans with the rest of the case because the controller gets in the way then maybe I should change my plan.

I REALLY don't want to have to deal with shipping fans back and delaying the build or anything, but if I order the controller I can definitely just set the fans to display a constant blue or orange hue, maybe it pulses maybe it doesn't, whatever. Then i could set the rest of it to be complimentary with the software.

I don't think the controller is sophisticated enough to let me have the fans cycle from orange to blue and back, it looks like you either get one color or all the colors, so this might be a better way.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

If one were to build a spreadsheet of 'what bottlenecks what', can anyone think of a better source for data than manually pulling figures from GN's charts?
Running your own normalized benchmarks :v:

I honestly don't think there's much value to these "bottlenecking" discussions. Outside of very general statements (stuff like "RTX 2080 Ti vs. a 2c/4t Pentium from three years ago") you'd have to track a wide variety of games/applications, resolutions and possibly even settings. And where do you start counting? Is a GPU that could do 1% more FPS with a faster CPU "bottlenecked" already? Can you even tell that from benchmarks reliably? What if faster RAM removes a CPU "bottleneck", do you want to track that too?

At that point it's easier to just have game-specific performance lists, but yeah you'll probably have to pull those from some review site too.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

FYI it's now a complete pain in the rear end to transfer the keys - someone just went through it in an SAMart thread and basically it requires logging in to the buyer's steam account and manually adding it. you can't gift it or easily transfer the key.

The 5700 xt Red Dragon is also in stock and is well-reviewed.

What the hell? They don't just email you the keys? How do they make it so difficult?

I guess if I'm in the market to sell the keys the $410 Red Dragon is a viable option too, though that's definitely pushing the limits if selling the games is tough.

(Oh and all these 5700s can run 3 monitors at once, right?)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

What the hell? They don't just email you the keys? How do they make it so difficult?

I guess if I'm in the market to sell the keys the $410 Red Dragon is a viable option too, though that's definitely pushing the limits if selling the games is tough.

Here's the thread but basically you have to open an AMD Rewards user account from the computer that has the new graphics card installed, then link the AMD account to your steam account. I had to do this for my 5700xt a few months ago and it was annoying.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

When I redeemed Borderlands 3 with my 3600 it was like a ridiculous 6 step process to authenticate that I'd actually bought the thing and IIRC required me to login directly into Origin from a web page, link the account to AMD, and only then would activate the game, no key.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Nvidia and AMD are both that way. I helped a couple people redeem CoD codes last fall, and I had to temporarily give my account to a goon when I bought RE3 from their AMD purchase

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats the same thing they're trying to get me to do to get a free copy of RE3, but RE3 is bad so I probably won't even bother.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Lucca Blight posted:

USA, by the way.
Been putting off upgrading my CPU for awhile now, but it seems more and more often I'm having some issue relating to it throttling the rest of my system so I'm thinking of making the plunge.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BD4sFG The problem part being my i5-4590 at the very least

Used a couple recommended parts and seems like I can get away with keeping some parts of my current set up:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PMY9Zf
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.00 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($87.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $743.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-27 21:43 EDT-0400

Unless there is a cheaper option to squeezing a little more life out of my current mobo and RAM? The thing that makes me hesitant is that the straw that broke the camel's back was that I'm having game breaking performance on the night map of Hunt: Showdown. Most other games run fine so I'm feeling a little silly dropping over $500 just to get a single game working better.

I would do some more technical troubleshooting before spending $500 on a new CPU and assorted parts. A i5-4590 is enough for 60fps 1080p in most games and the 1070 would be the limiting factor usually. Often reflections lighting and shadow related settings will affect the cpu use. Specific to this game, enabling GPU tesselation and disabling two pass lighting would help.

But otherwise those parts all make sense. The 3600 and 3600x really punch above their weight compared to the other options.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mid/High-end gaming, 1440p 144hz+ maybe 240hz when it's feasible. Currently playing COD:warzone which is destroying my 6600k system and seems like it's time to upgrade.
What's your budget? No set budget. Obviously, good bang for the buck is great but if something is worth it spending extra is fine.

Here is a list I threw together, but want to do a sanity check before pulling the trigger. Pretty certain I want the 10600k, but everything else I basically just threw together. Looking to see if i'm missing something, better choices for some of the parts, clearance issues, or recommendations. I currently have a GTX 1080 that i'll pull from my old system and plug into this one so graphics card isn't needed at the moment.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1139.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-29 15:58 EDT-0400

I value convenience and typically just build a computer and don't touch it until things start becoming an issue (e.g. i'll modestly overclock the CPU or something once my system starts slowing down). I want something basically I can buy and be set for a few years save for maybe upgrading a graphics card once the 1080 is dated. I know i'll need some fans too (maybe RGB?) since the case doesn't come with any. Bonus points if it looks nice since the case is pretty, but not obsessive about it. Thanks!

Linstar fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 29, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

orcane posted:

Running your own normalized benchmarks :v:

I honestly don't think there's much value to these "bottlenecking" discussions. Outside of very general statements (stuff like "RTX 2080 Ti vs. a 2c/4t Pentium from three years ago") you'd have to track a wide variety of games/applications, resolutions and possibly even settings. And where do you start counting? Is a GPU that could do 1% more FPS with a faster CPU "bottlenecked" already? Can you even tell that from benchmarks reliably? What if faster RAM removes a CPU "bottleneck", do you want to track that too?

At that point it's easier to just have game-specific performance lists, but yeah you'll probably have to pull those from some review site too.

All you can do is compare the data out there (doing your own benchmarks aside, which believe me I'd love to do, but it ain't gonna happen), but a system only runs as fast as its slowest component. RAM is a curveball but as long as its consistent across test platforms its as controlled as possibly could be. At which point its just a matter of cross-referencing CPU and GPU performance figures and taking the lower one to synthesize the performance of a system with a given CPU and GPU combination.

Its a valid point that benchmarks are really only good for a given application with a given system configuration, but that's a shortcoming of component reviews across the board. All we can do is ensuring we're making the most informed decisions possible.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Linstar posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mid/High-end gaming, 1440p 144hz+ maybe 240hz when it's feasible. Currently playing COD:warzone which is destroying my 6600k system and seems like it's time to upgrade.
What's your budget? No set budget. Obviously, good bang for the buck is great but if something is worth it spending extra is fine.

Here is a list I threw together, but want to do a sanity check before pulling the trigger. Pretty certain I want the 10600k and the case, but everything else I basically just threw together. Looking to see if i'm missing something, better choices for some of the parts, clearance issues, or recommendations. I currently have a GTX 1080 that i'll pull from my old system and plug into this one so graphics card isn't needed at the moment.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1139.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-29 15:58 EDT-0400

I value convenience and typically just build a computer and don't touch it until things start becoming an issue (e.g. i'll modestly overclock the CPU or something once my system starts slowing down). I want something basically I can buy and be set for a few years save for maybe upgrading a graphics card once the 1080 is dated. I know i'll need some fans too (maybe RGB?) since the case doesn't come with any. Bonus points if it looks nice since the case is pretty, but not obsessive about it. Thanks!

Out of curiosity what is making you pick intel over AMD? The performance advantage in games is basically nil above 1080p and intel is worse at everything else, including being a heat pig.

If you're going Samsung get the Evo Plus and not the older Evo, but really get the WD Black 750 instead. Or even the SN550 Blue.
32 GB is still kind of a waste vs. 16 for most people.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Out of curiosity what is making you pick intel over AMD? The performance advantage in games is basically nil above 1080p and intel is worse at everything else, including being a heat pig.

If you're going Samsung get the Evo Plus and not the older Evo, but really get the WD Black 750 instead. Or even the SN550 Blue.
32 GB is still kind of a waste vs. 16 for most people.

In general, from limited research i've seen Intel edges out AMD in gaming applications, and I do my development on a MBP so the PC likely will never be used for anything else. I've had issues in the past with AMD that gives me a slight aversion. So really, not much solid reasoning.

Thanks! Will make some changes to the SSD choices.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

drat selling those games sounds miserable. I can probably manage finding a buyer, but sheesh.

Outstanding questions:
1. Alright, so let's assume that the $410 PowerColor RX 5700 XT is in range. (https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Dragon-Radeon-GDDR6-Graphics/dp/B07WNYZJ7Y) That's got to be the best listed option, right? From poking around, it sounds like the Sapphire and PowerColors are the best bets.

2. If the card says it needs a 650w PSU, can I get away with a 650w gold psu? Or are you advised to round up 50? And what's the opinion on silver/bronze?

2. Can I fit both the aforementioned RX 5700 and this WD NVMe SSD (https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-500gb/p/N82E16820250109) into this MSI board at once? Like, physically? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1489705-REG/msi_x570_a_pro_am4_atx.html/specs)

3. This looks like a good price point ($140) for a boatload of ram, which, given my inclination to leave a lot of browser tabs open, is appealing. The CAS latency is a little higher (18-22-22-40) than some other well reviewed ones (19-19-19-39), but I suspect having 32gb with marginally worse CAS is going to be more meaningful to me than half as much ram that's however much faster. Any faults with this plan? GeIL EVO X II 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) (https://www.newegg.com/geil-32gb-28...FO9_36QRmXtG0uA)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Linstar posted:

In general, from limited research i've seen Intel edges out AMD in gaming applications, and I do my development on a MBP so the PC likely will never be used for anything else. I've had issues in the past with AMD that gives me a slight aversion. So really, not much solid reasoning.

Thanks! Will make some changes to the SSD choices.

Intel is better slightly at AMD wrt to Comet Lake vs Zen 2 but the difference is small and you are almost assuredly not going to see it or feel it because the GPU is the bottleneck outside 1080p med/high settings. That said if you want Intel for peace of mind, that is perfectly valid. The premium is real though. Like 200 bucks for a Z series board is gross on top of exist Intel tax.

you really need a 750w PSU?

drat selling those games sounds miserable. I can probably manage finding a buyer, but sheesh.

Outstanding questions:
1. Alright, so let's assume that the $410 PowerColor RX 5700 XT is in range. (https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-Dragon-Radeon-GDDR6-Graphics/dp/B07WNYZJ7Y) That's got to be the best listed option, right? From poking around, it sounds like the Sapphire and PowerColors are the best bets.

2. If the card says it needs a 650w PSU, can I get away with a 650w gold psu? Or are you advised to round up 50? And what's the opinion on silver/bronze?

2. Can I fit both the aforementioned RX 5700 and this WD NVMe SSD (https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-500gb/p/N82E16820250109) into this MSI board at once? Like, physically? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1489705-REG/msi_x570_a_pro_am4_atx.html/specs)

3. This looks like a good price point ($140) for a boatload of ram, which, given my inclination to leave a lot of browser tabs open, is appealing. The CAS latency is a little higher (18-22-22-40) than some other well reviewed ones (19-19-19-39), but I suspect having 32gb with marginally worse CAS is going to be more meaningful to me than half as much ram that's however much faster. Any faults with this plan? GeIL EVO X II 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) (https://www.newegg.com/geil-32gb-28...FO9_36QRmXtG0uA)

1. Card is fine. Most 5700XTs are fine with a few bad ones. Sapphire Pulse is the no nonsense it is fine and good option. Think it is 10 bucks cheaper.

2. 5700XTs do not need a 650w PSU. Like a 500w PSU should be fine. Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc are sepearate from a wattage rating. They are efficiency ratings on how much power they pull from the wall to service the system with its theortical wattage. Don't overspend for a gold PSU if you don't need to.

3. I won't guarentee you anything but I have never heard of an SSD blocking a graphics card before, ever. The board maker should warn you very clearly before hand if it did.

4. Ryzen can be a bit sensitive to RAM speeds but if you aren't chasing every last FPS in a game you are ok with slower latency ram.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 29, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

You can use 550 PSU, or even a 450W premium one. The 5700XT uses ~250W when gaming, and maxes out under 300W in furmark. The 3600 uses less than 100W (and even a 3900X is like 120-140 max). Total system power draw is unlikely to go above 400W. I'd get a 550 for some headroom (and also many 450s don't have 2 8x PCIe power plugs unless they're primo).

Graphics cards spec an oversize PSU to deal with OEM or lovely brand power supplies that inflate their own capacity. Buy a good PSU and you can safely ignore that.

2. Yes, that works fine. The nvme drives are flat. The only time you'd need to pay attention to physical spacing is with some NVMe drives that have a heatsink attached (not necessary).

3. That ram is very tall -- you haven't said what your mobo and cooling situation is, but if you're using a tower heatsink you should consider height. Also for $10 more you could get the crucial ballistix that's the best ryzen memory around right now. But if RGB is a thing you want the crucial doesn't have it.

MikeC posted:

probably all he can find with the :supaburn: PSU stock situation

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

MikeC posted:

Intel is better slightly at AMD wrt to Comet Lake vs Zen 2 but the difference is small and you are almost assuredly not going to see it or feel it because the GPU is the bottleneck outside 1080p med/high settings. That said if you want Intel for peace of mind, that is perfectly valid. The premium is real though. Like 200 bucks for a Z series board is gross on top of exist Intel tax.

Yeah, I understand intel has a premium. Either way i'll need a need a CPU/mobo combo since I don't think I could get anything reasonable that solves my CPU upgrade on the same socket. I was originally just thinking of upgrading my CPU with something modest if it fixed my game stutters, but it seems basically any CPU I could throw in the LGA 1151 is $300 which seems like a waste for something that will need to be upgraded in the near future again.

Do you have a different recommendation? Honestly don't have much experience picking between different parts besides the occasional upgrade so no clue what size PSU I need in actuality. Just figured I would slap something on there I wouldn't need to replace for whatever GFX card I get in the future.

Linstar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 29, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Linstar posted:

Do you have a different recommendation? Honestly don't have much experience picking between different parts besides the occasional upgrade. Just figured I would slap something on there I wouldn't need to replace for whatever GFX card I get in the future.

A high-quality PSU like the RMx series, you're very unlikely to need more than a 550W unless you have SLI video cards (don't) or a very high end processor (HEDT stuff like threadripper or intel X). See my reply above to Wonder Weapon.

OTOH there's no major downside to a PSU bigger than what you need -- I've got a 650 because it was on sale at the time and cheaper than 550. Right now PSUs are very limited supply so you have to take what you can get.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Linstar posted:

Yeah, I understand intel has a premium. Either way i'll need a need CPU/mobo combo since I don't think I could get anything that solves my CPU upgrade on the same socket.

Do you have a different recommendation? Honestly don't have much experience picking between different parts besides the occasional upgrade. Just figured I would slap something on there I wouldn't need to replace for whatever GFX card I get in the future.

If you want Intel then yeah, that's the build unless you are looking for an 8 core part but those are expensive and not necessary right now at any rate. I haven't done a lot of reading on the latest Z490 boards, maybe there is a cheaper one out there that isn't garbo? Most of us stick to AMD for value but they have a bad rep (earned or not) and I will never blame anyone for sticking to intel.

Unless it was Coffee Lake vs Zen 2 in which case, yes, you were dumb if you bought anything other than the 9900k. The price to performance loss last summer picking Intel over AMD was so obscene that only true die hard fan boys could recommend Intel.

My plan was to use the stock cooling that comes with the 3600, knowing that I may need to switch to a different aftermarket heatsink+fan (I'm going to skip water systems) if the stock one is obnoxious. The stock cooler was a specific complaint from two people I know with the 3600. I figured I'd see how it goes, and replace it if annoys me. That memory I linked is 2x 16gb, rather than 4x 8gb, so shouldn't I have no problem fitting them in?

Why don't you just save yourself the trouble of having to rip off the stock cooler and buy the aftermarket cooler now. I have my tower on the desk and I can hear my 3600 stock cooler whirl up and down with headphones on if there is no music in game.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 30, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Klyith posted:

You can use 550 PSU, or even a 450W premium one. The 5700XT uses ~250W when gaming, and maxes out under 300W in furmark. The 3600 uses less than 100W (and even a 3900X is like 120-140 max). Total system power draw is unlikely to go above 400W. I'd get a 550 for some headroom (and also many 450s don't have 2 8x PCIe power plugs unless they're primo).

Graphics cards spec an oversize PSU to deal with OEM or lovely brand power supplies that inflate their own capacity. Buy a good PSU and you can safely ignore that.

2. Yes, that works fine. The nvme drives are flat. The only time you'd need to pay attention to physical spacing is with some NVMe drives that have a heatsink attached (not necessary).

3. That ram is very tall -- you haven't said what your mobo and cooling situation is, but if you're using a tower heatsink you should consider height. Also for $10 more you could get the crucial ballistix that's the best ryzen memory around right now. But if RGB is a thing you want the crucial doesn't have it.

Well this is a lot of good information. I need to pull the window off this tower at some point this weekend, but I'm pretty sure I have a gold 550w in here now. I can probably use it to hold me over until things on the PSU front calm down in a few months.

I linked the mobo in that post but it was easy to miss. It's an MSI X570-A PRO (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1489705-REG/msi_x570_a_pro_am4_atx.html). My plan was to use the stock cooling that comes with the 3600, knowing that I may need to switch to a different aftermarket heatsink+fan (I'm going to skip water systems) if the stock one is obnoxious. The stock cooler was a specific complaint from two people I know with the 3600. I figured I'd see how it goes, and replace it if annoys me. That memory I linked is 2x 16gb, rather than 4x 8gb, so shouldn't I have no problem fitting them in?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I linked the mobo in that post but it was easy to miss. It's an MSI X570-A PRO (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1489705-REG/msi_x570_a_pro_am4_atx.html). My plan was to use the stock cooling that comes with the 3600, knowing that I may need to switch to a different aftermarket heatsink+fan (I'm going to skip water systems) if the stock one is obnoxious. The stock cooler was a specific complaint from two people I know with the 3600. I figured I'd see how it goes, and replace it if annoys me. That memory I linked is 2x 16gb, rather than 4x 8gb, so shouldn't I have no problem fitting them in?

Oh you won't have trouble fitting the ram onto the mobo, and with the stock cooler it'll be fine. The clearance issues can be with big aircooling tower heatsinks and tall ram. Large heatsinks can overhang the memory area in which case there can be physical collision, or tall ram can block the bottom of the fan intake.

It's not a huge deal on full ATX mobos and if you upgrade the stock cooler to the normal 120mm ones that get linked ITT you shouldn't have problems.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sniep posted:

i have an obscene hobby of collecting + ripping blu rays to a NAS with a plex server

i'm the world's 1 dude that exists that has an entirely legal plex library lol

I also rip blurays, I have several hex core Westmere Dell Precision workstations, one of them has a bluray drive that can also rip Ultra HD blurays (I also have an HD-DVD / Bluray combo in my PC.. yes, I still have HD-DVDs)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 30, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

With a 2700x and a 650w gold EVGA power supply, with a few ssds, an AIO cpu cooler, will that be strong enough for a 5700 XT GPU?

Seems like running through a calculator I'd be looking at 500-540w output, so I'm thinking I need to upgrade the power supply

Anyone?

also

How much of a big deal is Static Pressure on AIO's really?

I got some replacement LED fans and they technically say they're case fans, I looked into it a little and they often say "high static pressure" fans are best for radiators, but then no one says what constitutes "high static pressure". I need specifics like 3.02+, not "high"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone?

also

How much of a big deal is Static Pressure on AIO's really?

I got some replacement LED fans and they technically say they're case fans, I looked into it a little and they often say "high static pressure" fans are best for radiators, but then no one says what constitutes "high static pressure". I need specifics like 3.02+, not "high"

Yes a 650W PSU is plenty for that. A high-quality 550W would be enough.

Static pressure on radiator blocks is enough of a deal that you want to think about it, but the difference isn't that huge between a dedicated high-SP fan and a decent middle-of-the-road fan. Mostly you just want to avoid a fan that's weak on static pressure.

Static pressure doesn't have any number rating. It could be measured and assigned a numeral scale, but there isn't a standard industry test. Plus CFM numbers are often fake as heck and that's a much simpler definition.

To get fans with more static pressure I think the general thing to look for is fans where the blades have less gap between them. And if the manufacturer says they're "high static pressure" that's good enough.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

kinda kicking myself for this matx case because there's a powercolor 5700xt red devil on sale now locally for $370, but having just measured internals I think there's a very good chance it would hit the lower hdd cage too

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hauki posted:

kinda kicking myself for this matx case because there's a powercolor 5700xt red devil on sale now locally for $370, but having just measured internals I think there's a very good chance it would hit the lower hdd cage too

If you removed both HD cages as shown in this review it would definitely fit. Do you have more than 2 HDDs?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

If you removed both HD cages as shown in this review it would definitely fit. Do you have more than 2 HDDs?

I have 3 actually, although one’s just a backup and not really an ideal one at that. Looks like it’s gone now in any case though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hauki posted:

I have 3 actually, although one’s just a backup and not really an ideal one at that.

Hmm, so the other idea I had was this: if you wanted to do some light case modding, I bet you could make things work.

Those old reviews say the bottom HD cage is riveted in. The bottom cage also seems like the worst one, it is tall but only has 1 drive sled. If you drilled the rivets I bet you could install the 3-bay cage in it's place on the bottom of the case. Possibly rotated 90 degrees to interfere less with the fan. I think that would likely be short enough for clearance with 2-slot cooler cards.

Anyways when you're unhappy about how your case it working, bust out some power tools before buying a new one. Fix it or wreck it, either way you learn something and end up with a better case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

It's able to handle 2x8GB sticks at 3200 MHz no problem—I have 2 QVL listed ver 4.31 Corsair DIMMS in the PC atm. I only started seeing issues when I added another 2x8GB kit, but said issues were either likely being caused by the memory controller not being able to handle 4 sticks all that well/motherboard daisy chaining the RAM, or I'm now also assuming it's maybe because I was pairing mismatched versions of the same part number (stupid Corsair inventory practices :argh:).

I'm just curious if getting another set of 4.31 DIMMS would solve the issue of not being able to post when all 4 sticks are at 2933+ MHz, so hoping Corsair gets back to me with an advance RMA option.

Going back to this, I finally got my response for Corsair's RMA department:

Lame. Guess I'll just sell my ver 4.32 sticks then :rip: