Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
At that price it's a choice between crushing debt or crushing by car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

taqueso posted:

I thought I read somewhere in AI that was dangerous

It is, because it gets crumbly and brittle as it ages, especially if it spends time in the sun. UV really fucks it up. One of those things that seems fine the first time and you figure it's all good then it falls apart and kills someone.

I sure as poo poo ain't climbing under any car that uses a hockey puck.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

A hockey puck has a flat base. That works great with a jack pad or a flat-topped jack stand. It's not a good idea with the standard cheap jack stand that has a U or V shaped top.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For jack stands you want these. I finally broke down and bought them when I got a new but used car two years ago, then when I went to use them I realized the PO had already crushed the welds. I know the PO well and can guarantee they didn't do any work on their car, so it means the dealer or the supposedly good independent mechanic in town crushed them. I found the indie way too expensive and don't use them, but they have a decent reputation in town.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Acid Reflux posted:

This is less "funny submission" and more "for gently caress's sake please go check your jack stands right now", but -

Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

Heh. Can't be one of the bad ones if you can't read the labels anymore. :smug:

I have eight stands of varying heights but they're all duralast or autocraft so not in the recall but...probably from the same factory.

God damnit I can't wait to move into a house to have a loving lift. Not having a garage is the worst. THE WORST.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dave Inc. posted:

Heh. Can't be one of the bad ones if you can't read the labels anymore. :smug:

I have eight stands of varying heights but they're all duralast or autocraft so not in the recall but...probably from the same factory.

God damnit I can't wait to move into a house to have a loving lift. Not having a garage is the worst. THE WORST.

I have two sets, neither HF; the newest one is 25-years old. The one set had way too much play in the toothed part - they were leaning way over. Never really thought about it before. They're being recycled.

The other pair don't have pins but have far tighter tolerances.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My pair of 3 ton Autozone stands was sitting out in the yard keeping an axle off the ground. Father in law backed his truck into the end of the axle tube, just a little bump before he realized and moved to a different spot. The jack stand crumpled horribly under the axle but I was able to bang it back into 'shape' with a BFH. So now I have a dedicated axle/light-duty stand.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dave Inc. posted:

I JUST moved into an apartment with a garage, and a car and a half width one to boot! It's so nice. It's even better because my new (to me) car has never had to live outside :smug:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Space Gopher posted:

A hockey puck has a flat base. That works great with a jack pad or a flat-topped jack stand. It's not a good idea with the standard cheap jack stand that has a U or V shaped top.

It works fine, the pad folds into the top, and still provides the same support.

That being said, my jack stands have quite a gentle slope on the V. If they had a harsh angle, I'd trim the pucks to suit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The blade that came with my ryobi reciprocating saw disappeared* while I was using it.

*For certain definitions of disappeared

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wow, what brand of razor blade did you use to slice up a Sawzall reciprocating saw blade? Looks great!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Fortunately, some cars have jacking points where the pinchweld is wider and reenforced

Godholio posted:

Unfortunately, you usually have to decide if you want to put the jack there or the jackstand.

I swapped my summer wheels and tires on yesterday and discovered that my car not only has pads on the pinch welds for jack points (possibly installed by the PO?) but also indicators on the sideskirt

Though, yeah, had to choose whether to use the jack or jackstand there. For the rear I jacked up the differential and put stands on either side, but it was trickier in the front. I'll admit a lot of uncertainty about where was safe to use that wouldn't cause any damage, made more difficult by all the plastic coverings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My car has a rubber pad to signify the central jack point for the front. But I have to put the wheels up on blocks first in order to get to it.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I just got that recall notice too, since I bought a set of 6t stands for my truck, they'll be going back as soon as I get a chance. I didn't even know some jack stands had pins, my two >20 year old sets don't have pins either but have bigger teeth on their ratchets.

Also finding a place to both jack up the car and put stands on has been an interesting problem for my older cars, and has caused some damage as the jack stand typically has to go onto the unibody frame rail on two of my cars leaving small dents. (The pinch weld is bent on both of them due to POs)

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 24, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

They do make polyurethane "hockey pucks" to put in your jack for those with pinch welds, you know.
I've also seen steel pinch weld compatible saddle replacements, as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

They do make polyurethane "hockey pucks" to put in your jack for those with pinch welds, you know.
I've also seen steel pinch weld compatible saddle replacements, as well.

I had a set of these for my Z06, and I have a set for my Model 3. My mechanic visibly relaxed when I handed them to him for a tire change; Apparently Model 3 jack points are about a quarter inch circle and you need to be a loving Jedi to get all four supports for the lift in the right place. Oh, and if you miss with one it goes into the traction battery GOOD LUCK WE'RE ALL COUNTING ON YOU.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Oh, and if you miss with one it goes into the traction battery GOOD LUCK WE'RE ALL COUNTING ON YOU.

lol holy poo poo

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
The Tesla lift points aren't THAT bad, but they are literally the only safe places to lift the car, and they are only a couple inches square at best. We can do them on our giant two post lift at work, but not on any of the low rise tire lifts. Even with the pucks, I think they're spaced too far apart for the low rise lifts in any case.

I keep intending to get a couple sets of the pucks for some added safety, but we've only got a couple customers with Teslas at the moment. I see them sold by model, are they really different between the S/X/3?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PitViper posted:

I keep intending to get a couple sets of the pucks for some added safety, but we've only got a couple customers with Teslas at the moment. I see them sold by model, are they really different between the S/X/3?

If your question is "is it possible that different models of Tesla are all trash and do the same thing radically different?" the answer is yes. Here's how you open (or don't open) the rear doors of each model in the case of a power failure. If you're in a Model 3, you just die.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cojawfee posted:

If your question is "is it possible that different models of Tesla are all trash and do the same thing radically different?" the answer is yes. Here's how you open (or don't open) the rear doors of each model in the case of a power failure. If you're in a Model 3, you just die.

it's so stupid, how did they get these cars past all the regulations?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LifeSunDeath posted:

Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M. get the money...

insta
Jan 28, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Release first, certify later?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
:drat: There should be a built in glass breaker.

I thought the rear hatch of the XC90 requiring a simultaneous button press and handle turn was kinda bad.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Without looking it up and speaking 100% out of my rear end, I'd guess there are no regulations on things like that because any sane company would be worried about getting sued out of existence once people start dying back there due to a fire from an accident, so you don't need to make such a regulation. It's not much different than sitting in the back of a 2 door car that has a second row.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Except there isn't a door you expect to open there to confuse you. Whoops. I'd guess it just hasn't come up exactly like this before so there isn't a specific regulation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That regulation likely hasn't been written in blood yet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Musk is also essentially a Trump administration proxy at this point

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I've watched so many youtube car shows and every single one of the most obscure and expensive supercars has a secondary manual release somewhere if the electronic button fails, it's usually a little hidden, but that one tesla having no backup is preposterous.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

kastein posted:

That regulation likely hasn't been written in blood yet

It's this.

When the right mix of a video and or a famous person burns to death there will be recalls and new laws. Maybe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its incredible how much more effort goes into designing commercial airplanes to allow safe egress, not just w/r/t the interior, but even the structure of the plane itself. absolutely nuts they get away with this poo poo.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Cojawfee posted:

I meant different lift pucks for each individual model, but holy :wtf: how are they allowed to even sell the 3?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PitViper posted:

I meant different lift pucks for each individual model, but holy :wtf: how are they allowed to even sell the 3?

google regulatory capture, op

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Even funnier: The release cable is still in the door on the 3! They use it in the factory to open the doors while the car is not yet powered and just hide it behind the door panel! So they could have just made it a couple of centimeters longer and hidden it behind a speaker grille like on the X!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The funny thing is even the non-emergency door releases are hard for people to figure out for the first time in a Model 3. I borrowed my sister's and my front passenger ended up using the emergency release while the back passenger just couldn't figure it out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

I had a set of these for my Z06, and I have a set for my Model 3. My mechanic visibly relaxed when I handed them to him for a tire change; Apparently Model 3 jack points are about a quarter inch circle and you need to be a loving Jedi to get all four supports for the lift in the right place. Oh, and if you miss with one it goes into the traction battery GOOD LUCK WE'RE ALL COUNTING ON YOU.

The ones I'm talking about are just generic pucks with a slot, but I actually like the idea of the keyhole lift pucks like the Vette uses, since they lock (or at least stay) in place.
Genric pinch weld pucks:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pinch+weld+jack+pad&crid=PJ57BV0N94IW&sprefix=pinch+weld+%2Caps%2C159&ref=nb_sb_ss_organic-diversity_1_11

There's some neat aluminum ones with neodymium magnets to hold them on in there, too. I just got one of the polyurethane singles. In red of course, so I can find it when I drop it and it goes scooting off into the garage somewhere.

I would like to get a set of these for my jack stands, though:
https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Sparta...ps%2C159&sr=8-6

insta posted:

Release first, certify later?

"Move fast, break stuff" - it's not just their business model.

MomJeans420 posted:

The funny thing is even the non-emergency door releases are hard for people to figure out for the first time in a Model 3. I borrowed my sister's and my front passenger ended up using the emergency release while the back passenger just couldn't figure it out.

If anyone could gently caress up a door handle... I would have expected it to be GM.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I would like to get a set of these for my jack stands, though:
https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Sparta...ps%2C159&sr=8-6

I have those or something very similar and they work great. Of course the first time I went to use them, it turns out the seam was already crushed by the PO's mechanic (I know the PO and can 100% guarantee they never jacked the car up by themselves) .

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

If anyone could gently caress up a door handle... I would have expected it to be GM.

They come attached on GM vehicles but then come detached after

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Or refuse to come detached when they break, since GM decided to plastic-melt-rivet-whatever them to the door cards on some cars (looking at you, HHR).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

STR posted:

Or refuse to come detached when they break, since GM decided to plastic-melt-rivet-whatever them to the door cards on some cars (looking at you, HHR).

dont look at a HHR you'll go blind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dont look at a HHR you'll go blind!

Doug Demuro (yeah, I know) did a video on the panel van version of the HHR recently. How high was GM when they designed that?