Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I sometimes do it when I think a fish is toying with the bait but backing off when it feels the weight of the sinker or rod tip. My thinking is that it will give the fish more time to get the bait in it's mouth before feeling anything.

It would only really work with a running sinker rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the yeti posted:

This may be an impossibly broad question but what are folks doing when I see them reach up and manually strip line off the reel with bait in the water?

Fiddling with line tension I assume but with what intent?
If your bait is in the water and you're on a boat, you might strip line of the reel to hold your bait in position because the boat is moving. Also, for some species, stripping line and dropping the bait can trigger a strike. It's very common in the walleye fishing I'm used to in Minnesota. If you feel a tap, you jig twice more and then drop line. And then resume jigging.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If it's fly fishing you only really use the reel for line storage, when you're actively fishing you strip line and don't spool it as you bring it in so it'll pay out nicely when you cast.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

King of Bees posted:

What kind of fishing?

I've been watching mostly american pan and catfishing on youtube but also some boaters and kayakers

Dik Hz posted:

If your bait is in the water and you're on a boat, you might strip line of the reel to hold your bait in position because the boat is moving. Also, for some species, stripping line and dropping the bait can trigger a strike. It's very common in the walleye fishing I'm used to in Minnesota. If you feel a tap, you jig twice more and then drop line. And then resume jigging.

gay picnic defence posted:

I sometimes do it when I think a fish is toying with the bait but backing off when it feels the weight of the sinker or rod tip. My thinking is that it will give the fish more time to get the bait in it's mouth before feeling anything.

It would only really work with a running sinker rig.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks y'all :tipshat:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 19, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

the yeti posted:

This may be an impossibly broad question but what are folks doing when I see them reach up and manually strip line off the reel with bait in the water?

Fiddling with line tension I assume but with what intent?

If its a baitcaster, they may also be pulling out their backlash from a lovely cast. As an expert fisherman I never have to do this because all of my casts are perfect. :v:

Also, my finger slipped and I pushed a button and now I have a reel coming from japan oh god what have I done
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/daiwa/low-profile-casting-reels/daiwa-20zillion10.html

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

If its a baitcaster, they may also be pulling out their backlash from a lovely cast. As an expert fisherman I never have to do this because all of my casts are perfect. :vee:

Also, my finger slipped and I pushed a button and now I have a reel coming from japan oh god what have I done
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/daiwa/low-profile-casting-reels/daiwa-20zillion10.html

I think we're gonna need a full report on that reel when it comes in. My feeble mind is having a hard time conceptualizing a reel of that magnitude, but it seems pretty glorious.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Elmnt80 posted:

If its a baitcaster, they may also be pulling out their backlash from a lovely cast. As an expert fisherman I never have to do this because all of my casts are perfect. :vee:

Same, but also because I use spinners not casting reels :smug:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Elmnt80 posted:

If its a baitcaster, they may also be pulling out their backlash from a lovely cast. As an expert fisherman I never have to do this because all of my casts are perfect.

I also have never done this. But in the hypothetical that should I ever do this, it would be comforting to know witnesses might think I am doing something skillful.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fished baitcasters all my life in salt water i don’t even swear anymore when idly unfucking a real. Mono only a back lashed braid reel is still hellacious to deal with especially if tugged on hard.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Give me a braid backlash any day, mono and floro backlashes take double the time to clear. Then again I've also fished with almost exclusively braid for the last 10 years. Sunline x-plasma asegai dark green 4 lyfe. I've had it on a spinning reel for a year with 0 fade which is insane for braid.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went fishing for the first time in 2020 today, trolling for lake trout. Skunked but a beautiful day on the water. Can't wait for bass season.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

thanks to a week of rain both the Neuse and Pamlico were a disgusting tea-colored mess. But I finally broke the 4 week drought with a PB slot (barely) red drum.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Has anyone here ever done a blackfin tuna charter? How was it?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Has anyone here ever done a blackfin tuna charter? How was it?
I haven't done blackfin, but I have done marlin/Mahi out of Oregon Inlet. If the captain asks you if you want to keep fishing when all the other charters have run for the inlet due to weather, defer to his judgment instead of squeaking out your money's worth.

We loaded the boat with Mahi and caught a white marlin. The guy who swears he never gets seasick got seasick, to nobody's amazement. The ride back in was rough, to say the least. Most of the fleet went for blackfin, and they all came back with full limits. To the point where we had to wait around to get our fish cleaned due to the number of tuna and the fact that we were the last ones back into port.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

thanks to a week of rain both the Neuse and Pamlico were a disgusting tea-colored mess. But I finally broke the 4 week drought with a PB slot (barely) red drum.
I was skunked until Monday afternoon fishing on Kure Beach. Until about 1:00 pm on Monday, just as I was leaving, a school of nice blues took up residence in the first trough. I caught one and missed a couple more. PB 18" bluefish. Can't complain. Also caught my PB pinfish at ~8".

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

I haven't done blackfin, but I have done marlin/Mahi out of Oregon Inlet. If the captain asks you if you want to keep fishing when all the other charters have run for the inlet due to weather, defer to his judgment instead of squeaking out your money's worth.

We loaded the boat with Mahi and caught a white marlin. The guy who swears he never gets seasick got seasick, to nobody's amazement. The ride back in was rough, to say the least. Most of the fleet went for blackfin, and they all came back with full limits. To the point where we had to wait around to get our fish cleaned due to the number of tuna and the fact that we were the last ones back into port.

Thanks! I'm looking at a charter with some friends as a retirement party for me. But they are pricey. However if I offset that with many pounds of tuna I can cope. We'll see. It may be a next year thing.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Finally got out a few times this year, we probably hit up 5 lakes and a river in 2 days. 0 fish for either of us, even when they were jumping and boiling just feet from the bank.

Plastics on a texas rig, plastics on a ned rig, plastics on a drop shot, swim/crank/jerk baits, poppers and topwater buzz baits, spoons, inline trout spinners, crawlers, and redworms, all completely ignored. Only thing I managed to bring home were ticks.

Gave up and went to shoot guns instead.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Need some help with rod selection -

What would y'all use to throw a 110 whopper plopper? Supposedly it weighs a full oz, but when looking through St. Croix's stuff, I only see rods going up to 3/4 oz. Am I just parsing this incorrectly?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You should still be able to throw it on that 3/4oz rated rod without issue. Also, if you have a heavy topwater rod it would work fine for slinging that plopper. (I'm assuming you're looking at something like a st croix mojo bass 7' medium heavy, you could jump to the 7'6" mh and be fine too)

I'd use my 7'3" mag mh fast action Ark Sniper. Its rated 1/4-1 1/4oz, but I've comfortably exceeded that by a quarter oz before to throw a swimbait. Its been discontinued, but the invoker in that spec has almost the same stats and I'd use it too.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 27, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ok cool. I just know I tried throwing a 90 WP on my lighter rod and it felt like a brick on the end of the line.

edit: lol, I posted in the WP facebook group and everyone is losing their minds that I would dare use a WP on a spinning reel instead of a baitcaster

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 28, 2020

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Skunked two days in a row in a small lake stocked with rainbows and channel cat. Though I think the trout were long gone, you never know, right? Wife is taking the kids to Topsail, NC for a long moms and kids weekend. I'll keep the thread posted about what I didn't catch over the next four days.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Good luck out there! It's been a week or so for us. I might go out on Friday, just tied a bunch of pompano rigs.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Good luck out there! It's been a week or so for us. I might go out on Friday, just tied a bunch of pompano rigs.
Remind me which beach you fish on again?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Skunked two days in a row in a small lake stocked with rainbows and channel cat. Though I think the trout were long gone, you never know, right? Wife is taking the kids to Topsail, NC for a long moms and kids weekend. I'll keep the thread posted about what I didn't catch over the next four days.
Why not go fish there? The blues are picking up.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Why not go fish there? The blues are picking up.

It's a moms and kids thing. The hubbies are being left behind. I'll be spending the next four days hitting the park lakes around town. I wanted to wade fish but the river is in flood.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Woodpile posted:

Here in eastern NC I'm pretty sure the lake closest to me that had a winter trout stocking was cleaned out by February, but last year still had some caught up until June.

A shame you can't tag along with them. It's been 20+ years since I fished it, but man Topsail was some of the best and most diverse surf fishing I ever got in my life

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Speaking of surf fishing, sort of, if you're into piers a dude wrote a pretty fine book about the ones in NC.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

It's a moms and kids thing. The hubbies are being left behind. I'll be spending the next four days hitting the park lakes around town. I wanted to wade fish but the river is in flood.
Where are you at? I know a lot of good water in this state.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

Remind me which beach you fish on again?

Jacksonville area

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Where are you at? I know a lot of good water in this state.

Richmond, VA.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

3 days ago a package left Yokohama Jay aye pan headed to florida. It reached Cincinnati Ohio that same day where dhl sat on it for 24 hours before moving it to florida and to me late yesterday. 2 day shipping from japan when I paid as little as possible in shipping? Yeah, I'm ok with that.

Kind of a bog standard box for their step below halo reel, but whatevah! The squiggly lines at the top left apparently says "fresh wave only" according to google translate.

Inside was this fancy rear end thing! Heavier than I was expecting, but still feels lighter than its closest (read: only) direct competitor, the abu garcia rocket. Fit and finish were top notch, which is to be expected at its price point. It feels way more refined than the rocket which feels like a $150 reel that they put 10:1 gears in and doubled the price on. (Note: my rocket may have been a friday afternoon job given I had to tune up a couple things upon getting it)

I really hope there wasn't anything important in these directions! Luckily I found a set translated into like 4 different languages in the box upon further inspection.

So yeah, that's all nice, but how does it cast? This is my first daiwa low profile baitcaster and it took a few swings to get in the groove. The zero adjuster concept is weird, but once I got it where I wanted it I didn't have to touch it again when switching from side arm, overhand and pitching. Instead you rely on the MAGFORCE-Z BRAKING to do its job and do the fine tuning with the magnetics dial. Its recessed absolutely perfectly for where my thumb falls while palming the reel allowing me to adjust quickly without taking the reel out of my hand. Or taking the damned side plate off (LOOKIN AT YOU HERE SHIMANO). Once I figured out the right combo of magnetics, thumb and chunkin force I needed to be using, I noticed about an extra 5 ft on my casts which was a nice bonus, but overall irrelevant given how little I need to just absolutely hurl a bait with this setup.

I did my testing with a fresh spool of dark green 30lb sunline x-plasma asegai braided line, an ark rods sniper 7'3" mag mh rod and a cheapo 3/8 oz spinner bait as a casting plug. It casts beautifully and once you have it dialed in its just cast after cast with no backlash. Now I just need to get it on the water. :v:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Richmond, VA.
Ah, thought you were in NC. Everything that isn't mountains is blown out. You're going to have to drive to the Shenandoah NP to find good clear water. I like the upper Rapidan, but it gets slammed this time of year. The Rose and White Oak Canyon Run are great also, but you have to hike at least a mile up from the parking lot to consistently get trout.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

Ah, thought you were in NC. Everything that isn't mountains is blown out. You're going to have to drive to the Shenandoah NP to find good clear water. I like the upper Rapidan, but it gets slammed this time of year. The Rose and White Oak Canyon Run are great also, but you have to hike at least a mile up from the parking lot to consistently get trout.

I used to guide DC folks in the Rapidan WMA area along the fire road twenty years ago. Native brookies! Used to hunt there too, a little spot in the middle of the NP where it was legal to hunt. Great area and those brookies are a blast and easy for the newbs.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

I used to guide DC folks in the Rapidan WMA area along the fire road twenty years ago. Native brookies! Used to hunt there too, a little spot in the middle of the NP where it was legal to hunt. Great area and those brookies are a blast and easy for the newbs.
Yup, that's where I take beginners also. Easy to get to (I got a Saturn coupe all the way up the fire road to the parking lot at the first crossing many times), authentic native brookies, lots of history, and plenty of river to fish. It's also a lot closer than most people realize to DC. You can get there in 1h45 from downtown DC if you leave before 6:00 am to avoid the traffic. That first hole up from the parking lot is a money spot and a great introduction to fly fishing the Shenandoah.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

Yup, that's where I take beginners also. Easy to get to (I got a Saturn coupe all the way up the fire road to the parking lot at the first crossing many times), authentic native brookies, lots of history, and plenty of river to fish. It's also a lot closer than most people realize to DC. You can get there in 1h45 from downtown DC if you leave before 6:00 am to avoid the traffic. That first hole up from the parking lot is a money spot and a great introduction to fly fishing the Shenandoah.

Nice! Lots of bears and snakes around there. Also......there's gold there :stare:

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Woodpile posted:

Richmond, VA.

I'm not great at fishing, but I've never had any luck at the two DGIF stocked ponds here unless I've gone within three days of them being stocked. What kind of fish are you after? I've fished a lot of the public lakes and parks north of the river.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

atlas barfed posted:

I'm not great at fishing, but I've never had any luck at the two DGIF stocked ponds here unless I've gone within three days of them being stocked. What kind of fish are you after? I've fished a lot of the public lakes and parks north of the river.

I'm after anything that's not a panfish. I can catch those all day long. Yesterday I went to Dorey Park which has a pond they stock with trout and channel cats. There's also a pier. I was the only one there so I got to put three lines in the water with cut bait going for catfish. I did catch a 16" largemouth, but it was really skinny. Other than the bait I caught that was my only fish.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Tried the new sand flea rake this morning and got a few. Nothing was biting though. Had one hard hit in two hours and then zilch. It was probably a blue. Going to try a different beach after dinner if it isn't stormy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

lousy muddy rear end water

anyway, fuckin' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ugh, skunked again today. I'm starting to think I just don't know wtf I'm doing fishing out of a boat on a lake. I went the entirety of 2019 without getting skunked, but only bank fishing. I see the fish on my sonar, I see them jumping around me, they just won't get in the goddamn boat.