Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

KodiakRS posted:

What altitude was that at? Below 10,000' that's some seriously congested airspace.

You’d never believe what’s happened to the congestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

What altitude was that at? Below 10,000' that's some seriously congested airspace.

Depending on the direction OAK and SJC are landing it wouldn't be too bad with flight following. That's completely outside of the SFO arrival and departure corridors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

About 2700' iirc. Hence why I wondered if it was aerial photography. I bet you'd have to be about that low to get the real high-res imagery that Google has these days.

It is normally extremely congested airspace, yep, but right now it....isn't. Normally there's a continuous stream of airliners coming in along the SFO approach corridor, but now it's like 3 FedEx planes an hour and a scattering of international flights and that's it. That orange plane just above San Leandro was a C172 doing pattern work at OAK. I would say there are right now about three times as many GA planes buzzing around as there are airliners, and that's still only a couple dozen total. I'm seeing all kinds of other weird stuff, too, like a C-130 that was doing orbits over my house an hour ago, or a trio of taildraggers flying formation right over the city at about 1600'. Everyone with a plane is just out joyriding.

In other rad news, as an experienced solo student very close to the checkride (prior to the shutdown we were talking about doing it, like, last week) the flight school has granted me permission to rent planes and go practice prior to the resumption of 1-on-1 instruction. Gonna schedule a flight for later this week and do some pattern work and buzz around. Hooah :unsmith:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

I have seen several flights like this over the last week or so.

What are they doing? Some sort of autopilot calibration? Aerial photography?

When all the Rona isolation started in Sydney, it seemed that there were aerial survey/mapping flights all over the place for a couple of weeks, taking advantage of the empty airspace, I guess?

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Someone earlier in this thread spoke about survey flights, but I couldn't find their post. It could be that they're taking advantage of the empty airspace. It could also be that they're measuring the effects of the pandemic - measuring the number of cars on the road, or sampling the atmosphere for examples. That other poster also pointed out that this is the time of year the map services like to do photography. Something about the foliage looking best in the late spring.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I used to do aerial survey, and it sounds like my previous company is still flying like crazy. I didn't do photography so I don't have any details on that, but with the lack of traffic around I'm sure it's so much easier now to get into the busier areas rather than wait until 1am to even be allowed near bravo airspace.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Plus fuel is cheap at the moment.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I keep up with this thread from a distance, so apologies if this is incorrect....but for those keeping score at home, is it accurate that Slaughter used to be in arial photography, bitched about it constantly, left for the airlines, also bitches about that constantly and now that there isn't any flying to bitch about pontificates about the airline industry's "death" and is surprised when other posters remind them that this doom and gloom poo poo is exhausting, meanwhile arial photography is now thriving?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 26, 2020

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
He's a pilot isn't he?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're a fan of arial photography, you should check out switzerland -- it's much prettier.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
AERIAL, guys, c'mon.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

AERIAL, guys, c'mon.

I prefer Helvetica surveying personally.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I prefer Helvetica surveying personally.

was my post too subtle then

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sagebrush posted:

I have seen several flights like this over the last week or so.

What are they doing? Some sort of autopilot calibration? Aerial photography?

Recently there were helicopter flights of that pattern in neighbouring city and that was for thermal imaging of power lines.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

sellouts posted:

I keep up with this thread from a distance, so apologies if this is incorrect....but for those keeping score at home, is it accurate that Slaughter used to be in arial photography, bitched about it constantly, left for the airlines, also bitches about that constantly and now that there isn't any flying to bitch about pontificates about the airline industry's "death" and is surprised when other posters remind them that this doom and gloom poo poo is exhausting, meanwhile arial photography is now thriving?

Aerial, but yeah, that's the gist of things. I don't recall bitching about aerial survey, in hindsight it was a fantastic job. I don't bitch about my current airline, either, and even my last one was pretty good to me outside of pulling the usual regional BS.
Some aerial photography may be 'thriving' but my old aerial survey company is still shut down at the moment due to covid. I may go back there for a bit after furlough until things come back, if I can.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Phoned Transport Canada today to follow up on my instructor rating upgrade, and it turns out... it's approved and the license sticker has been sent out, they just decided not to tell me about it! I finally have a date for going back to work too, so I both know when I'll start flying again and I know that I'll get a 20% raise and not have to deal with supervision!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Aerial, but yeah, that's the gist of things. I don't recall bitching about aerial survey, in hindsight it was a fantastic job. I don't bitch about my current airline, either, and even my last one was pretty good to me outside of pulling the usual regional BS.
Some aerial photography may be 'thriving' but my old aerial survey company is still shut down at the moment due to covid. I may go back there for a bit after furlough until things come back, if I can.

All joking aside I hope you come out of furlough and do whatever flying makes you happy.

And yes, my being off the road means I have been working in fonts too much recently.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

PT6A posted:

Phoned Transport Canada today to follow up on my instructor rating upgrade, and it turns out... it's approved and the license sticker has been sent out, they just decided not to tell me about it! I finally have a date for going back to work too, so I both know when I'll start flying again and I know that I'll get a 20% raise and not have to deal with supervision!

:toot:
that owns, congrats!

I'm getting back on track prepping for my instrument instructor rating tomorrow, it's gonna be so amazing (and weird) to get back to IFR flying. Just about all my students came back, and the school had enough people looking to get started that my schedule is back to full already, but with everyone out of the air for so long, they're all going back to the basics, and I'm already tired of drilling stalls and engine failures with eeeeveryone. So I can't wait to pick up advanced students for some variety.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The sticker came and is in my license book, I'm a full instructor and can't nobody tell me poo poo!*

* I don't plan to stop asking for advice and input, but I'm looking forward to not having to seek out a signature from a supervising instructor before every single mundane loving flight and trying to schedule a senior instructor for a supervision to make sure I taught simple poo poo properly. Still gonna send all my students with another instructor pre-solo and pre-flight-test, because that's just common sense.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Wait wait wait you guys get stickers???

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reztes posted:

:toot:
that owns, congrats!

I'm getting back on track prepping for my instrument instructor rating tomorrow, it's gonna be so amazing (and weird) to get back to IFR flying. Just about all my students came back, and the school had enough people looking to get started that my schedule is back to full already, but with everyone out of the air for so long, they're all going back to the basics, and I'm already tired of drilling stalls and engine failures with eeeeveryone. So I can't wait to pick up advanced students for some variety.

I've never dealt with anything quite like this before (obviously; I mean, who has?) but I have had students disappear for months at a time, and it's not always as soul-crushing as you might expect when they come back. I typically do the first flight as a sort of unplanned (in that I don't let my students in on the plan ahead of time) grab-bag of poo poo, just to see exactly what we're dealing with, and then work from there. I certainly don't go back to teaching the exercises the way I would the first time, unless I absolutely need to, so it goes a lot quicker.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Wait wait wait you guys get stickers???

Yeah, we have a little blue book that looks like a passport, then every time you get a new license or rating, you get a sticker to put on one of the pages in the book! Same thing with medicals, although oddly not radio licenses, because that's administered by Industry Canada and the thought that they could work together with Transport Canada is just pure madness!

Let's talk about Aviation Document Booklets because I'm bored and have nothing better to do (feel free to ignore, it's not a particularly interesting topic):

The license stickers are blue, anything categorized as a permit* is red (because permit-only pilots are scary as poo poo and everyone needs to know that, I assume! :v:) and medical stickers are yellow. Designated examiners can write a temporary license in the space which will later be underneath the sticker**, so for example, as soon as you pass your instrument rating flight test, you can exercise the privileges of an instrument rating. Proficiency/competency checks are just written in the back somewhere.

* Each license sticker has all the ratings and their validity periods printed on it, and more advanced licenses supersede lesser ones, so when my booklet expires and I have a new one, it will show up with just one sticker pre-printed indicating I have a commercial (or, god willing by that point, an ATP) license and all my ratings, not an individual sticker for CPL and PPL; however, permits are separate from licenses, so my document booklet will in fact have a red sticker for the recreational permit I got when I was 16, before I could apply for a PPL. I don't know, if you hold multiple permits, if each one is printed separately or if they get combined like licenses.

** The idea is that you will receive the sticker and cover the temporary license. Makes sense, no? Well, it turns out that you can easily finish a multi-engine rating in the time it takes TC to process your CPL application, in which case you'll have two temporary licenses written, and they'll print you just one sticker with both your CPL and multi-engine rating, and then you'll have a lovely, hand-written temporary license befouling your booklet until it expires.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just post a picture dude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I went flying today and it was lovely. 12 knots right down the runway and clear skies up to space. Even after 10 weeks off it's like riding a bike.

Had to switch planes from the one I had booked though because I was the first person to rent it since the shutdown and the battery was dead.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I went flying today and it was lovely. 12 knots right down the runway and clear skies up to space. Even after 10 weeks off it's like riding a bike.

Had to switch planes from the one I had booked though because I was the first person to rent it since the shutdown and the battery was dead.

Oh god I'm having premonitions of my future. But on the plus side if most of my students have the "like riding a bike" experience, I'm golden!

Captain Apollo posted:

Just post a picture dude.

No promises, but I'll try to do it tomorrow after I make very sure I've found all the identifying information and edited it out.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Finally scheduled my PPL written, so no more excuses :ohdear:

I rescheduled it lol

Sagebrush posted:

Hell yeah, I got to go flying again weekend before last. Almost 3 months off, but hadn't forgotten anything. Did emergencies and worked the pattern in a nearby small airport. Then came back to the big airport and hung out in the pattern for a bit. Unfortunately we kept running into the schools worst student everywhere we went, and for fucks sake she couldn't get off the runway via taxi or touch-and-go for like multiple minutes. We had 3 nearly go-arounds, while tower yelled at her to move it, and me to slow it up. Jokes on me though, she's already passed her written. Anyway, have a picture or two!

<3 my lil cherokee, I got this last year after I soloed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

We had 3 nearly go-arounds, while tower yelled at her to move it, and me to slow it up.

I was on a long final in the pattern today because the person in front of me was also repeatedly slow getting off the runway, and as I'm puttering in dutifully at 60~65 knots I hear the tower go
"Bonanza 2345X, uh, watch your speed, you're behind a 152 on 2-mile final and he's..."
(pause)
"...about eighty knots slower than you."

and like man, I know it already, you don't need to rub it in :saddowns:

That picture is really pretty though. Looks like a model train set

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah the scenery here is hella nice, but the downside is all the mountain wave turb everywhere you go :saddowns:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I was on a long final in the pattern today because the person in front of me was also repeatedly slow getting off the runway, and as I'm puttering in dutifully at 60~65 knots I hear the tower go
"Bonanza 2345X, uh, watch your speed, you're behind a 152 on 2-mile final and he's..."
(pause)
"...about eighty knots slower than you."

and like man, I know it already, you don't need to rub it in :saddowns:

That picture is really pretty though. Looks like a model train set

Just so you know, ATC usually has a pretty solid idea of what speeds various aircraft approach at, and the "you're X knots faster" instruction is a nice way of saying, "uh, you're loving up my planning and also, what the gently caress?" Suffice to say,. the Bonanza behind you was flying at a fairly ridiculous approach speed provided he was not asked to do so. Bonanzas are fast but 140KIAS approach is more than a little bit beyond what I'd expect on a typical approach.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, we have a little blue book that looks like a passport, then every time you get a new license or rating, you get a sticker to put on one of the pages in the book! Same thing with medicals, although oddly not radio licenses, because that's administered by Industry Canada and the thought that they could work together with Transport Canada is just pure madness!

Let's talk about Aviation Document Booklets because I'm bored and have nothing better to do (feel free to ignore, it's not a particularly interesting topic):

The license stickers are blue, anything categorized as a permit* is red (because permit-only pilots are scary as poo poo and everyone needs to know that, I assume! :v:) and medical stickers are yellow. Designated examiners can write a temporary license in the space which will later be underneath the sticker**, so for example, as soon as you pass your instrument rating flight test, you can exercise the privileges of an instrument rating. Proficiency/competency checks are just written in the back somewhere.

* Each license sticker has all the ratings and their validity periods printed on it, and more advanced licenses supersede lesser ones, so when my booklet expires and I have a new one, it will show up with just one sticker pre-printed indicating I have a commercial (or, god willing by that point, an ATP) license and all my ratings, not an individual sticker for CPL and PPL; however, permits are separate from licenses, so my document booklet will in fact have a red sticker for the recreational permit I got when I was 16, before I could apply for a PPL. I don't know, if you hold multiple permits, if each one is printed separately or if they get combined like licenses.

** The idea is that you will receive the sticker and cover the temporary license. Makes sense, no? Well, it turns out that you can easily finish a multi-engine rating in the time it takes TC to process your CPL application, in which case you'll have two temporary licenses written, and they'll print you just one sticker with both your CPL and multi-engine rating, and then you'll have a lovely, hand-written temporary license befouling your booklet until it expires.

I quite like our blue passport licenses - keeps everything in one spot and was purpose designed for our slow as poo poo bureaucracy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

I quite like our blue passport licenses - keeps everything in one spot and was purpose designed for our slow as poo poo bureaucracy.

They are quite good, they just have some interesting quirks.

Certainly much better than pieces of paper, or re-printing a secure card-style license every time something changes.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Good News:

Pilots from our cancelled new hire class in March have been told to expect to be back in class in July.

Bad News:

One of our pilots committed suicide on Tuesday leaving behind a wife and son. We don't know why but it's a fair assumption that the stress of potentially being furloughed combined with the effects of social isolation played a roll. Don't be afraid to text or call your flying buddies, you never know who may be struggling and needs a sympathetic ear that actually understands what it's like to be in their shoes.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 29, 2020

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

Good News:

Pilots from our cancelled new hire class in March have been told to expect to be back in class in July.

Bad News:

One of our pilots committed suicide on Tuesday leaving behind a wife and son. We don't know why but it's a fair assumption that the stress of potentially begin furloughed combined with the effects of social isolation played a roll. Don't be afraid to text or call your flying buddies, you never know who may be struggling and needs a sympathetic ear that actually understands what it's like to be in their shoes.

Awful. It was seen in the past w/ prior furloughs too, there will be more. Call ALPA pilot peer support if you're at an ALPA carrier. This is a temporary situation and it won't last forever... good times will be here again and it's closer than you might think.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

KodiakRS posted:

Good News:

How is this possible?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Two Kings posted:

How is this possible?

*Fingers in ears* la la la la

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two Kings posted:

How is this possible?

American Airlines told MIA and ZMA yesterday that they were planning to resume a nearly-normal schedule basically as soon as they can get the tails and the crews in place, and were planning on ~70 operations per hour from MIA alone.

Yesterday, MIA had roughly 70 operations. All day. For all carriers combined.

There is some blistering optimism out there that I think is going to be tempered by the crushing reality of empty airplanes.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

<3 my lil cherokee, I got this last year after I soloed

Hey man, I just wanted to say that I think your tattoo is legit.

I gotta say, my little Cherokee has a real sweet spot in my heart.

Sure the Mooney and Bonanza are faster but I’ll be damned if the Cherokee doesn’t have a sentimental spot in my heart.

I hadn’t really thought of that until I saw your post.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrYenko posted:

There is some blistering optimism out there that I think is going to be tempered by the crushing reality of empty airplanes.

To put it mildly! Differing opinion northward. Mapleflot just furloughed FAs back to a 1998 date of hire. The most junior is 22 years on property! Insanity. On the pilot side the plan is to ultimately furlough about 18% of the group (~800) and have a net drop of 41 aircraft (-767 -E190 -A319, +737max +A220 +A330) and even just that is generating something like 1,600 training events. I think they said they were hoping to be back at 50% by Christmas.

I'm hoping the optimists win this round...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

KodiakRS posted:

Good News:

I dont follow this thread very closely, are you a regional guy? Only way I’d think this is feasible is if another regional is going to get shut down and you guys are going to get the planes and they just havent announced it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Southwest is saying they plan on running a full schedule by winter, whereas American and Delta are still threatening 20-30% layoffs on October 1, so I assume it's mix of "no one knows what the gently caress is going on" combined with management angling for more bailout money and trying to get concessions from unions by threatening mass layoffs just before an election.

Demand is starting to tick up a little bit, since we just got asked to do more than our scheduled flying in June by our parent company, and airports are slowly seeing increased numbers of passengers.

That said, passenger demand is still comically low. A year ago, SEA would see around 53,000 passengers a day, which was down to 2,500 a month ago. That's moved up to about 8,000 now, but that's still an 85% drop, and there's a very good chance that a second wave of Covid infections is going to crater passenger demand again before the end of the year.

At this point, I'm pretty sure furloughs are inevitable on October 1, and a "best case" scenario would be that airlines don't start filing Ch.11, but since the US is apparently trying to do a speedrun of 1968 combined with 1918 under the leadership of a toddler with Alzheimer's, I've given up trying to guess what's going to happen.