Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gonz posted:

I am very excited to one day upload my consciousness into a series of massive supercomputers located deep inside the Moon.

No no, heaven is a place on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

xerxus posted:

Spock's Pon Farr in TOS was 2267, which means the preceding one was 2260. Disco Season 2 ended in 2258.

I'm looking forward to Hot Spock getting it on in Strange New Worlds.

It hurts me that I know this, but we find out in Amok Time that that was Spock's first Ponn Farr, due to the fact that he's half human, and that, when it happened, he didn't even know if it was going to happen at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know, for as advanced a ship as Voyager is supposed to be, every other episode has someone overriding the transporter controls.

You’d think after the ... eighth or ninth time this happened they’d find a way to lock those down a little.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mulva posted:

I mean you brought it up twice so I'll answer it with a sure? The things I'm talking about were neither biological creatures nor living in our finite universe. They aren't just "Us, but living a bit longer". The more comparative situation would be "Humanity is now Q".

I mean I brought it up twice as examples of how your initial argument was off:

Mulva posted:

The argument is fundamentally meaningless because it posits a human that lives forever, when the reality is any version of us that has changed to the degree it could live forever is no longer meaningfully human. Why pretend it'd be subject to any of our limitations?

I understand that you are writing an essay about The Good Place and immortality, but based on that post, I hope you can understand why "ok but what about this other example of immortality that's not The Good Place" would be a reasonable post to make, here in the Star Trek thread.

For the record, I'm like 99% sure this post

Jewel Repetition posted:

How would we no longer be meaningfully human just because we didn't age? Also for the record it's impossible to live forever in the literal sense so I'm assuming when we say forever here we just mean indefinitely or really long time

was asking the exact same thing I was. Someone brought up The Good Place as a single example of a kind of immortality, that doesn't limit the discussion to that single specific example.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I understand that you are writing an essay about The Good Place and immortality, but based on that post, I hope you can understand why "ok but what about this other example of immortality that's not The Good Place" would be a reasonable post to make, here in the Star Trek thread.

Why do you keep talking about immortality when I'm not and never was? I'm talking about eternity. You keep talking about things that are just "Don't die of age" or something, when I'm talking about things that are so far beyond material existence that it's laughable to pretend they have any relation to us. Forever there meant forever. A being that will never end, ever, to anything, by any means, who has no constraints as we understand them. Again, the counter-example isn't "Some dude that lives a long time". It's Q. It's something that views are entire plane of existence as a joke, to whom the basis of our so called physical laws are arbitrary constructs of a limited mind.

Why would that being be anything like us? Now the answer as of Voyager is "Because the writers are hacks", but look at something like the wormhole aliens. A brief time in their space is enough to start getting Sisko a bit trippy and distant at the end of DS9, and he's still mostly human. Why would you imagine a human that has changed enough to fully inhabit a space and a timeframe longer than reality as we know it has existed would still just be some schmoe?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mulva posted:

Why do you keep talking about immortality when I'm not and never was?

Because that's what most of the other conversation in the last couple pages was centered on, Good Place argument aside?

I legitimately thought that

Mulva posted:

The argument is fundamentally meaningless because it posits a human that lives forever, when the reality is any version of us that has changed to the degree it could live forever is no longer meaningfully human. Why pretend it'd be subject to any of our limitations?

was a one-off response to the Good Place argument while the conversation moved on to other forms of immortality.

Like I'm not trying to catch you in a gotcha moment of "haha your argument is wrong!!!" I agree with you, the characters on The Good Place, and Q, are too different to be considered human.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 28, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Like I'm not trying to catch you in a gotcha moment of "haha your argument is wrong!!!" I agree with you, the characters on The Good Place, and Q, are too different to be considered human.

Which is all my objection ever was, writing something truly beyond biological, finite existence as if it's needs are "But what will I do with eternity?". After the first million or so years any creature that could live for those millions of years is already beyond concerns like that, they don't have a mind that hits 999,999 and is fine, but man the ennui really hits in that next year. It's the same sort of thing where there is a Romulan diaspora when they lost....a star? Evidently that was the one in "Romulan Star Empire", and with it gone their vast interstellar empire goes to poo poo. There's a certain scale, which is variable for different people, where their mind just turns off and they don't really comprehend size anymore. So they just return to talking as if it's just this normal and average thing.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I think I could squander a few trillion just dossing about

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I were truly literally eternal and could do mostly whatever I wanted, I can't imagine getting tired of wandering around random planets while making myself feel like I'm on LSD would literally ever get old, since one of the things LSD does is make you feel like everything you're doing is new even if it's just eating ice cream.

Or spend a billion years on a beach on morphine

I feel confident I could find things to do. Y'all are thinking too small!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Remember the like 15 novelty items that were 'Tastes like" jokes that aren't an actual flavor? Bits where Elanor chooses to be drunk because she's depressed and then *whoosh*, better when she wants to be? The whole swearing thing? Every aspect of what they are can be whatever is needed at any moment [Because it's a comedy].

I don't think you know what emotions are

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Having to sit alone with my own thoughts for the past 3 months is madness-inducing enough. A million years of the same would not be good for my mental health.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Having to sit alone with my own thoughts for the past 3 months is madness-inducing enough. A million years of the same would not be good for my mental health.

You know what's zero-risk if you can't die? massive amounts of mind-altering chemicals :catdrugs:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I don't think you know what emotions are

I don't know, I'm feeling some pity right now. Did you really bring up that dead conversation to throw out the saddest burn in a Star Trek thread?

It wouldn't even be so bad if you weren't doing for something so profoundly wrong. They've had tons of flavors that were just "Mother's love" and "Unmitigated Joy", to more intangibles like "Wisdom" or a taste that is just "Beyonce compliments your hair". They lived in a reality where every aspect of what they were could be edited at any given moment. That's just what the show was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You know what's zero-risk if you can't die? massive amounts of mind-altering chemicals :catdrugs:

Wouldn't insanity be worse if you couldn't die? I still wouldn't take more than 3 tabs at a time

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Please shut up about The Good Place, that is a good show and does not deserve to be in a modern Star Trek thread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oooh poo poo Tony Todd is on this episode of The Orville, and is playing one of the Klingon knockoffs!

It's the one with the Marina Sirtis cameo too!

gently caress that's F. Murray Abraham playing an alien too!

So in the last three episodes they've had on: Tim Russ, Ted Danson, F. Murray Abraham, Marina Sirtis, and Tony Todd.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 28, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Clearly you don't realize how much weed I've smoked in quarantine.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the reasons why I honestly really like The Orville is because there are no aliens that are explicitly knock-offs of aliens from Star Trek. Or Mass Effect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh Ted Danson's in this one too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hoooly poo poo the Orville did a mirror universe episode except the mirror universe isn't evil, it's Star Wars. That is a genius use of their parody get-out-of-IP-issues card.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Orville is this weird mix of recycled old trek, a fresh look on trek, a parody of trek and the sci-fi genre, and a little bit of comedy (I enjoy it but it's not the best). The episodes are real hit or miss, it has a lot of room for improvement, but I really enjoy watching it, I used to look forward to each week for a new episode dropping.

The way the writers dealt with the Avis aliens the whole show has been pretty great too, and honestly the kind of tact I think Picard is really missing.

edit: hell the whole robot alien arc was a lot better written than the stupid soji aliens on Picard, come to think of it.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 28, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Hoooly poo poo the Orville did a mirror universe episode except the mirror universe isn't evil, it's Star Wars. That is a genius use of their parody get-out-of-IP-issues card.

I really loved this episode for exactly this reason. Even the music has more of a Star Wars flair than usual.

The hidden base set is almost a copyright violation of the Yavin base from ANH - I gotta wait til I get home to double check but they even aped the glass displays with the planetary diagrams on them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whoops, forgot to his "submit" on this one :haw:

Mulva posted:

I don't know, I'm feeling some pity right now. Did you really bring up that dead conversation to throw out the saddest burn in a Star Trek thread?

It wouldn't even be so bad if you weren't doing for something so profoundly wrong. They've had tons of flavors that were just "Mother's love" and "Unmitigated Joy", to more intangibles like "Wisdom" or a taste that is just "Beyonce compliments your hair". They lived in a reality where every aspect of what they were could be edited at any given moment. That's just what the show was.

Strictly speaking the sensations you get from tasting something you enjoy and the sensations you get from your mother telling you she loves you are extremely similar neurological processes so you could pretty easily apply this "every aspect of what they are can be edited at any time" to one of those make-your-own-flavor-mix fountain soda machines

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh Ted Danson's in this one too.

The admirals on that show are all some top-notch star power: in addition to good ol' Danson you get Victor Garber, Ron Canada and Kelly Hu.

Tighclops posted:

I think one of the reasons why I honestly really like The Orville is because there are no aliens that are explicitly knock-offs of aliens from Star Trek. Or Mass Effect.

This is one of the reasons I try to get people to at least watch 1 or 2 episodes, because at first glance you could absolutely be forgiven for going "oh ok Bortus is Worf," for example, but after a very short time it becomes apparent that the similarities end at "gruff, big and brown." They're even a warlike race in a completely different way than the Klingons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3zG6l4yCM

Edgar Wright commissioned Beck to do the songs for Sex Bo-bomb and told him to make it lovely garage rock. When he got them back he was worried they were too good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Ck5e8Rtdk

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 29, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

That is a genius use of their parody get-out-of-IP-issues card.

What IP issues do you think they'd have otherwise? It's entirely legal to do a Star Trek-style space opera even without comedy or "parody".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow. I mean I know Voyager was bland but the finale was so banal that it almost made me angry.

Probably the most emotion I've felt at that whole show.

Started Enterprise now and almost immediately put off by the whole time thing right from day one. I should just accept that TNG and DS9 are where it's at and just be happy.

Also: Stupid sexy Vulcan.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hi I’m the resident Enterprise defender and I advise you to Stick With It and enjoy chill space adventures.

Or pick a random season 4 episode and see if that still strikes your fancy. Either way, it hits more emotional notes in its 4 years than Voyager did in 7.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm only midway through the first season of first watches of both Voyager and Enterprise and tbqh I much prefer Enterprise. It's often bad as hell but at least it's usually fairly entertaining.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Enterprise is dull as can be. None of the actors are interesting except Shran(not even a main character) and sometimes T'Pol and Phlox. All of the humans are :geno:.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HD DAD posted:

Hi I’m the resident Enterprise defender and I advise you to Stick With It and enjoy chill space adventures.

Or pick a random season 4 episode and see if that still strikes your fancy. Either way, it hits more emotional notes in its 4 years than Voyager did in 7.

Your second suggestion actually seems like really bad advice since there's like 3-4 standalone episodes in Season 4 and they mostly suck. They went hogwild on three part arcs in Season 4. I think the Vulcan one was the best, although the augment arc is pretty great for Brent Spiner hamming it up.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
somebody around here once described Enterprise as a bunch of lovely white people and their black driver and I can't see unsee the show that way now

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There's a difference between immortality and invulnerability. If you're actually invulnerable, you might just be immune to some drugs, to alcohol, and what not.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is one of the reasons I try to get people to at least watch 1 or 2 episodes, because at first glance you could absolutely be forgiven for going "oh ok Bortus is Worf," for example, but after a very short time it becomes apparent that the similarities end at "gruff, big and brown." They're even a warlike race in a completely different way than the Klingons.
Moclans are actually closer to Ferengi than Klingons; misogynistic, capitalist to a fault....

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-picard-season-2-spoilers-akiva-goldsman/amp

Picard S2 "spoilers". The biggest one is that they're gonna write the drat thing ahead of time instead of while shooting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Technowolf posted:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-picard-season-2-spoilers-akiva-goldsman/amp

Picard S2 "spoilers". The biggest one is that they're gonna write the drat thing ahead of time instead of while shooting.

Wait, somehow I managed to miss this in all the discussion —

THEY MADE IT UP AS THEY WENT ALONG?!

What even is going on in 2020 jesús christ

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Martytoof posted:

I am just now learning this, too. I kind of assumed that since it was "prestige TV" they were all writing months ahead before shooting starts, like Better Call Saul's nearly-annual cycle.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 30, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Martytoof posted:

Pretty sure Discovery had the same problem

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

I got this feeling since the first 3 episodes that they made the first 3 episodes first, then somehow figured out the rest, I'm not sure to what degree.

The way the show presented the whole attack on utopia planitia, and the fox news interview, and the villa with the romulan housekeepers, it feels like a pilot or a pitch to a revival show, but then as soon as episode 4 rolls around, the show disconnects from that stuff completely.

I get the feeling that's what they did. Wrote the first 3 episodes with the big pitch of there's been a refugee crisis, and it was undercut by a 9/11 on mars, and wow-wee space adventures. I think they shot that, then got the go-ahead for the rest, and had to figure out what to do for the rest of the plot.

edit: what I don't get about the article is that it's only about this interview with Akiva Goldsman, and they have one picture for the article, and the caption says "Akiva Goldsman (right) and Michael Chabon on the set of Star Trek; PicardCBS", but Akiva Goldsman (the guy who the article is about) is on the left. I'm not crazy here right?

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 30, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Martytoof posted:

I think it was the previous Westworld thread where someone said they'd worked on at least one other "prestige TV" production where it was not uncommon for them to be getting script pages mid-production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Martytoof posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/patrick-stewart-breaks-down-shocking-star-trek-picard-finale-1286604

quote:

"I only learned of [Picard's death] way into [shooting] the first season," the Star Trek: Picard star tells The Hollywood Reporter in an exclusive post-mortem interview about "Arcadia Ego" and the show's freshman season overall. "Because that final episode wasn't written yet, and I didn't know it was part of the storyline."

"I remember the writers worked on that up to the evening before we shot it," Stewart recalled. "And I suggested one or two little tweaks to the script. And [the writers] got it so right."