Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
With all of the people protesting in the US, and the NSA “temporarily” making their tools available to law enforcement, I was wondering how people can protect their privacy these days. If this turns out badly is possible there will be an authoritarian backlash to the protests, like Trump to Obama. I have a few questions for people who know about privacy stuff, posting this in GBS due to general interest.

1) How should people who are physically protesting avoid being “put on a list,” masks?

2) Where and how can people buy a “burner” phone, and how can it be used without compromising its security?

3) SH/SC question, how can the average person gain internet privacy from NSA tools? Rebooting to Linux from a flash drive and using TOR? For average people to hide browsing history, not some active surveillance secret agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm gonna chafe your filthy sphincter with a burner phone like otherwise cleaning a bloodstain out with a bar of soap before I ram it through your piehole like a novelty bad dragon dildo OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Do you think my name is really Inverted Icon?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

teardrop posted:

2) Where and how can people buy a “burner” phone, and how can it be used without compromising its security?

I think some stores selling cellphones might have been torched in the rioting op, maybe you can try there

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hammerite posted:

I think some stores selling cellphones might have been torched in the rioting op, maybe you can try there

If you listened to the St. Paul police scanner a few days ago, you would know that T-Mobile is a defensive position for the strike teams en route from the Verizon.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
*crony bursts into oval office*
crony: mr president what if i told you there was a way you could be an even worse president!?
trump: tell them to hold my chicken nuggets and cracked magazine today. sounds like ive got work to do

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

How do you buy a burner phone? Go to a convenience store in a "bad part" if town and use cash.

You never watched the Wire?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Is you taking notes on a criminal conspiracy?!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I would also know how burner phones work and where you even get them.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
there is no hiding from the nsa online. trying at all would probably just add a suspicion % to whatever profile they keep on you
you can hide from movie copyright companies if you want. aim more at that level

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I would also know how burner phones work and where you even get them.

Literally just buy a lovely prepaid phone with cash. Use a fake name and address if needed.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Inverted Icon posted:

Do you think my name is really Inverted Icon?

I used my real name

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dandywalken posted:

Literally just buy a lovely prepaid phone with cash. Use a fake name and address if needed.

Where do you buy these phones? I've never seen them anywhere I've gone before.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

leave your phone at home op

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

prepaid phones from a cell phone shop. not a cell carrier network place. better yet a semi-permanent outdoor kiosk in like a parking lot

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
You can either be a paranoid middle-aged computer janitor who thinks they're living in an episode of Mr Robot and dedicate tons of time, energy, and emotional labor into maintaining a patchwork regiment of proxies, erased hard drives, encryption, and obscure difficult to use software as a prophylactic measure that ultimately amounts to nothing or you can accept that you're just not that interesting or important and that if the government wanted to gently caress your poo poo up there's nothing you could really do about it so just live your life. The end result will ultimately be the same for you either way, but you'll save a lot of money and time doing the latter.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe they just don't have anything that they want other people to see? Anyway...

You can buy a pre-paid sim card. They sell those to tourists. Leave your real mobile at home; 1, 2

Use a VPN; 1, 2

Don't use routers from companies suspected of having backdoors for the NSA; 1, 2

itry fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 31, 2020

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

You get your under age girlfriend to go to all the shops in town and buy 20 prepaid sims at a time if youre a biker.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEcaoimX3qY

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

gary oldmans diary posted:

prepaid phones from a cell phone shop. not a cell carrier network place. better yet a semi-permanent outdoor kiosk in like a parking lot

Gumtree

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019

They sell them at any cell phone store or Walmart/bestbut/target or sketchy corner store. You say "can I get a cheap prepaid phone."

You're allowed to give 100% fake info for phone if they ask, and for Verizon direct stores the official fake used to be:
- home phone: 777-777-7777
- address: 295 Folsom, Folsom ca (not as sure on this, I know Folsom was involved)

The cheaper prepaids are not generally direct from the carriers though.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

teardrop posted:

3) SH/SC question, how can the average person gain internet privacy from NSA tools? Rebooting to Linux from a flash drive and using TOR? For average people to hide browsing history, not some active surveillance secret agent.

Encrypt your Phone/HDD, use a VPN, do messaging with Signal

Dont log in to anything.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
VPN yo.

dem :filez:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Sleeveless posted:

or you can accept that you're just not that interesting or important and that if the government wanted to gently caress your poo poo up there's nothing you could really do about it so just live your life. The end result will ultimately be the same for you either way, but you'll save a lot of money and time doing the latter.

As long as you're not breaking the law, who really cares about privacy save for identity theft and maybe nudes.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
If you dont have anything to hide whats the problem

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 31, 2020

Old can of Tab
May 31, 2020

A Grand Egg posted:

If you dont have anything to hide whats the problem

Don't want no gubment types stealing my homemade collection of dirty movies involving cans of green tea.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If you use a smartphone or ever had a facebook account it's already too late OP

naem
May 29, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

You can either be a paranoid middle-aged computer janitor who thinks they're living in an episode of Mr Robot and dedicate tons of time, energy, and emotional labor into maintaining a patchwork regiment of proxies, erased hard drives, encryption, and obscure difficult to use software as a prophylactic measure that ultimately amounts to nothing or you can accept that you're just not that interesting or important and that if the government wanted to gently caress your poo poo up there's nothing you could really do about it so just live your life. The end result will ultimately be the same for you either way, but you'll save a lot of money and time doing the latter.
I sure hope they don’t find out about my nine inch logn penis

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Away all Goats posted:

If you use a smartphone or ever had a facebook account it's already too late OP

probably a good reason not to vote for fascists

Also youre probably not the target, but others are and will be.

Being pathetic about Governments degrading privacy laws is one of the most poo poo and annoying things I see people do.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Sleeveless posted:

Some people say that it takes “tons of time, energy, and emotional labor” to use a VPN so you should “just live your life.” But they also say the exact same thing about wearing a mask for coronavirus or washing your hands after using the bathroom, and there is a clear consensus that those things are actually extremely easy and they definitely make bad things less likely.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Oh you smoked in your 20's, we'll employ some one else.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Stop beating off to strangers on Omegle and put a citrus sticker over your built in webcam.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teardrop posted:

Some people say that it takes “tons of time, energy, and emotional labor” to use a VPN so you should “just live your life.” But they also say the exact same thing about wearing a mask for coronavirus or washing your hands after using the bathroom, and there is a clear consensus that those things are actually extremely easy and they definitely make bad things less likely.

These are different things.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Seems this kids dad went to AA, that stuff runs in the family....

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A Grand Egg posted:

Seems this kids dad went to AA, that stuff runs in the family....

Also the job is part time minimum wage call center maitenence for video slot machines and 3000 other people applied

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
This guy was a dickhead on a website called Something Awful...lets just put this kidney in the bin and take the night off

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

The_Continental posted:

These are different things.

Sure, I’m just saying that it is a common response to any type of precaution to say it’s too hard so do nothing. But for a lot of things there is really easy stuff you can do that reduces your risks. I don’t know of any specific risk here, it is unlikely that we’d get marked for TSA enhanced security just for visiting the ACLU site too often, but if there is an easy way to remove that transparency why not?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I'm behind 7 proxies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The unfortunate answer is privacy does not exist anymore and you cannot possibly obtain the amount of privacy that used to exist, ever no matter what you do

Look up the humming bird drones some guy was making on the cheap trying to get a military contract 20 years ago, now look up what anybody with $500 can buy off Amazon, now go ahead and imagine how light and small and quiet you could combine all modern technologies if you were part of a 600 billion dollar military.

Nobody likes the answer: You move to a poor country and build a cabin and never use the internet again, and even then you accept that your neighbors will eventually be given cell phones at or below cost, and if they don't have 100 megapixel cameras in those models yet, they will in a few years. You're still going to show up on satellite. Drones have thermal cameras now.

The mild approach: You get a VPN so your ISP loses a huge log of data they're currently selling to anyone who is buying. You accept that the most popular applications and websites cannot be used without them keeping a copy of everything you've ever done with/on them. But spend a few minutes looking up the PRISM software under Bush, Peter Thiel's Palantir software currently (the manual for police has been legally published due to a FOIA request) and realize that the entire California state police can look up everybody you ever chatted with and every IP you've ever been assigned and there is no box for them to even input what crime they suspect you of committing, because they don't have to. This all applies to cell phones too, which cannot be properly encrypted since most their data (texts, calls, GPS) is transmitted over towers and satellites and won't be encrypted.

So your burner phone travels to your home with you, and is charged there, and is the same distance away from your neighbors phones and your router as your main phone. It pings for the nearest tower just about every second of the day it's got a battery in it. The software that stores and monitors these logs can tell who you are from typing patterns, sleeping patterns, shared contacts anyway.

Do you feel better knowing 3 governments and 30 corporations have your data instead of 27 and 1,000? Then find a VPN for 50 bucks a year. Switch to a phone with a removable battery and accept that people will find you rude or weird when you don't reply to them in an hour. Somewhere your unlisted social credit score will go down or be flagged, but it won't really change any aspects of your life unless you're an active criminal.