Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Man Pat that was a mostly reasonable assessment of Korra, but gently caress, season 1 does not have the best villains when S3 exists. Hell S4 probably beats them too.

I mean, it's Pat, but that is an odd take as season one is the one that's generally regarded as the most wasted potential (and all the seasons have it to some degree).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I the best way I heard Season 1 of Korra described was someone set up a fine, handcrafted ornate chess table and then just used it to play checkers. It is hilarious for having a huge aerial battle scene where planes explode and you instantly see people parachutes falling out of them like some bad old anime censorship. And then it ends on an explicit on-screen murder-suicide with the villain brothers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's this video series analysing the villains of the four seasons of Korra that I quite like. Basically, it examines how each of them represents a caricature of some kind of political movement as seen by clueless middle-class white guys (and not incidentally how the left-wing, egalitarian ones are treated as significantly more scary than the actual fascist you get towards the end), while hitting a bunch of other dumb poo poo along the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModX151Ipgs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nohman posted:

And then it ends on an explicit on-screen murder-suicide with the villain brothers.
I very rarely viscerally react to a tv show I'm watching but that right there made me jump out of my seat and shout OH COME THE gently caress ON ARE YOU SERIOUS

I don't know if the rest of korra is good or not because I stopped watching after that scene.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That scene owned, I couldn't believe they went that hard.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
There's one kill at the end of season three that's far more shocking.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I very rarely viscerally react to a tv show I'm watching but that right there made me jump out of my seat and shout OH COME THE gently caress ON ARE YOU SERIOUS

I don't know if the rest of korra is good or not because I stopped watching after that scene.

You should watch the rest, there's a lot of dumb stuff but there's also a lot of really cool + good stuff

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Season 2 feels very much like an impromptu puppet show they had to slap together quick after they realized the show was renewed against all odds, except for the bit about the first Avatar. I'm not a fan of the retcon/origin story they went for with the Avatar but I don't think most people care. Season 3 is substantially better. Season 4 is alright but you could tell they were rushing it because they'd finally been given a hard deadline on top of Nickelodeon doing its best to undermine and gently caress with the show's airing schedule constantly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The origin story is visually interesting as an episode, I think a guest studio did it (4C?). But I don't care for the actual origin story itself, and it ties into the terrible villain of the season.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Dabir posted:

There's this video series analysing the villains of the four seasons of Korra that I quite like. Basically, it examines how each of them represents a caricature of some kind of political movement as seen by clueless middle-class white guys (and not incidentally how the left-wing, egalitarian ones are treated as significantly more scary than the actual fascist you get towards the end), while hitting a bunch of other dumb poo poo along the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModX151Ipgs

This video series is the only Avatar content I have ever watched and, I assume, the best.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RareAcumen posted:

To this day, I can't help but wonder how Korra would've turned out if the creators weren't kept in an armbar the entire time they were trying to make it.

It's extremely wasted potential to be sure. I really love the setting of Korra, and it never feels like they get to explore it in the way they wanted to.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Season 3 was definitely peak korra and some excellent stuff. But Woolie is right that Avatar is best when the camera is on zuko and/or Iroh.

Hell even in Korra thats true

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

Season 3 was definitely peak korra and some excellent stuff. But Woolie is right that Avatar is best when the camera is on zuko and/or Iroh.

Hell even in Korra thats true

'The Beach' is my favorite 'day in the life' episode of any series ever. Just four of these sad, weird, broken people and their found family doing things. (Yes, I know, Azula and Zuko are actual family but still.)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What's with Pat replacing his facecam with a closeup of Elmo? I'm not particularly complaining, but still...

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

What's with Pat replacing his facecam with a closeup of Elmo? I'm not particularly complaining, but still...

The AC in his house is broken, so he's shirtless because of how hot it is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

The AC in his house is broken, so he's shirtless because of how hot it is.
Will he be able to fix his AC soon?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Not sure. He said that he had someone coming by to repair it, but he didn't mention a time that I'm aware of

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

It's extremely wasted potential to be sure. I really love the setting of Korra, and it never feels like they get to explore it in the way they wanted to.

I can't help but like the original more because they got to do so much more comparatively but I agree. Korra Season 2 was so dire but 3 and 4 were fantastic.

I'm the kind of tedious nerd who actually cares about power levels so watching the GAang launching boulders and cutting boats in half to the very less epic in scale sequel really sucked since it felt like a lot of it was really small shots like everyone's first learning how to bend. Looked like a bunch of power waves for a ton of it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Not gonna claim I've watched a ton of Teppen players, but Woolie is easily the best to watch

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Shinji2015 posted:

Not sure. He said that he had someone coming by to repair it, but he didn't mention a time that I'm aware of

Was supposed to be Friday but it still isn't done and also one of the repairmen took their mask off at one point, may have coughed, then asked P&P to come into the room for something. (Remember that Paige has lupus so she's immunocompromised). When they said no, and other repairman came in, the first guy denied taking his mask off, so now they're even crankier and with good reason.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Pat's coming out in support of the protests and riots on Twitter, of course this is pissing off some of his fans. Hopefully this causes him to shed a few more of the shittier portions of his fanbase.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Viridiant posted:

Pat's coming out in support of the protests and riots on Twitter, of course this is pissing off some of his fans. Hopefully this causes him to shed a few more of the shittier portions of his fanbase.

Another unrelated guy I watch literally just said "gently caress racism" and guess what's a controversial statement on twitter.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah Pat going off honestly surprised me, good on him. Paige has been retweeting fundraisers for medical stuff and bail as well and that's going about as well as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1266896805985386499

:kiss:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Both Paige and Pat are basically trolling their chud section for the last hour.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I'm genuinely surprised any of the boys talking about this at all, much less have a good take about this.

e: Woolie also showing support on his Twitter.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm genuinely surprised any of the boys talking about this at all, much less have a good take about this.

e: Woolie also showing support on his Twitter.

They've been pretty progressive sounding for the most part when they would weigh in on something, Matt's openly waved the flag for LGBT people for a while, Woolie's talked about bits of racism before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Viridiant posted:

gently caress yeah

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They got their flaws but these are all good boys.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
You can tell who has never worked a minimum wage service job they despise in the comments. Gamer culture continues to be poo poo.

Patrick Boivin owns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Forceholy posted:

You can tell who has never worked a minimum wage service job they despise in the comments. Gamer culture continues to be poo poo.

What are the obvious tells you're talking about?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Now Pat's retweeting Sterling who's also fighting his chud fanbase.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tae posted:

Now Pat's retweeting Sterling who's also fighting his chud fanbase.

sterling? jim sterling? jim the anti-chud sterling. how does he have a chud fanbase?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Invictus posted:

sterling? jim sterling? jim the anti-chud sterling. how does he have a chud fanbase?

Gamers are really good at not realizing someone is anti-chud unless they blatantly say it about a thing said chud gamer hates.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MagusDraco posted:

Gamers are really good at not realizing someone is anti-chud unless they blatantly say it about a thing said chud gamer hates.

That's true but Jim has been gleeful in his support of things a chud doesn't. That takes some serious blinders.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

These are the same people who think Metal Gear is apolitical.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

See, this poo poo is the reason why I play video games, but don't call myself a gamer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That's true but Jim has been gleeful in his support of things a chud doesn't. That takes some serious blinders.

There are plenty of people that don't think starship troopers and robo cop are parodies

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

People who hate lootboxes in games but think those are because of the jews.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also suspect that some might continue to watch/follow Jim because they care about the customer advocacy angle.

There certainly is no shortage of "gamers" who will get mad/passionate about some pet issue that's part of the larger accessibility/customer advocacy topic while being blind/ignorant/lovely about the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I also suspect that some might continue to watch/follow Jim because they care about the customer advocacy angle.

There certainly is no shortage of "gamers" who will get mad/passionate about some pet issue that's part of the larger accessibility/customer advocacy topic while being blind/ignorant/lovely about the rest of it.

There are minorities who still watch JonTron, even after he had many heated gamer moments about black people and Mexicans.