Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

wtf how did that post get in here

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Woodpile posted:

I'm after anything that's not a panfish. I can catch those all day long. Yesterday I went to Dorey Park which has a pond they stock with trout and channel cats. There's also a pier. I was the only one there so I got to put three lines in the water with cut bait going for catfish. I did catch a 16" largemouth, but it was really skinny. Other than the bait I caught that was my only fish.

I can only comment for bass fishing, but I've only fished Dorey a couple times and never had much luck. I like both Echo Lake and Three Lakes parks for bass, Echo because I generally have good luck and think the scenery is nice, and Three Lakes has pretty nice sized bass and pickerel. Both parks have much less access from the bank than Dorey though. I don't have any experience with catfish though, but both should be stocked. Feel to reply or PM me if you want any specific advice on fishing them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Ugh, skunked again today. I'm starting to think I just don't know wtf I'm doing fishing out of a boat on a lake. I went the entirety of 2019 without getting skunked, but only bank fishing. I see the fish on my sonar, I see them jumping around me, they just won't get in the goddamn boat.

The ideas remain the same, the only thing that changes is the angle you fish from. Don't get wrapped up in your electronics, just focus on what you know and how to do it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Fished the surf with little success this morning at sunrise. Some porgies, croakers, catfish and one keeper whiting. The sandbar was pretty long and shallow so we waded out to the edge and casted as far as we could. I think the keepers were way out there beyond reach due to salinity levels from all the rain. The pelicans were dive bombing them out there.

This big bellied dude was throwing out big pieces of chunk bait and catching black tip sharks for fun with the his little boy, casting out past the bar. The kid was loving it. Of course he got them to shore and released from there so they definitely cruised past us on the way back out. Four footers. I figure they're everywhere anyways, so what the hell.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Elmnt80 posted:

The ideas remain the same, the only thing that changes is the angle you fish from. Don't get wrapped up in your electronics, just focus on what you know and how to do it.

I posted about it in my local FB group and I got a guy to spill all the beans about where/how to catch wiper there. It was really surprising and refreshing because most of the time these guys are like, "did you check in the water? HURRRR"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

Ugh, skunked again today. I'm starting to think I just don't know wtf I'm doing fishing out of a boat on a lake. I went the entirety of 2019 without getting skunked, but only bank fishing. I see the fish on my sonar, I see them jumping around me, they just won't get in the goddamn boat.
In my experience, fishing stripers/wipers/white bass is best done at dusk, just after the sun has left the water. Fan-cast a 1/2 oz Mepps and look for the swirls. Let the birds tell you where the bait is and start there. Where current meets points is best in the reservoirs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ghostnuke posted:

I posted about it in my local FB group and I got a guy to spill all the beans about where/how to catch wiper there. It was really surprising and refreshing because most of the time these guys are like, "did you check in the water? HURRRR"

What was your big epiphany? I'm thousands of miles away so I'm not breaking your water I just like learning

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What was your big epiphany? I'm thousands of miles away so I'm not breaking your water I just like learning

Just location and presentation. This lake is kind of temperamental I guess, if you're not RIGHT ON them with the right lure you don't catch poo poo. I've also been throwing bass stuff mainly, and this lake is kinda poo poo for regular bass.

So basically he just said "go here and throw this" which on this lake is the only way you're going to catch anything, if someone tells you directly how. You'd spend forever trying to puzzle it out on your own, which jives with my experience so far.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hunh, I've always seen white bass as easy to catch, but that may be colored by a day where me, my dad and my uncle got in a gigantic school of them feeding on shad and absolutely destroyed several chrome and blue rat-l-traps. Legit stripped every bit of chrome off half a dozen after 100+ fish. Nothing over a pound and a half, but awesome fun at like 10-12 years old. (I'd still take a day like that, who am I kidding)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elmnt80 posted:

Hunh, I've always seen white bass as easy to catch, but that may be colored by a day where me, my dad and my uncle got in a gigantic school of them feeding on shad and absolutely destroyed several chrome and blue rat-l-traps. Legit stripped every bit of chrome off half a dozen after 100+ fish. Nothing over a pound and a half, but awesome fun at like 10-12 years old. (I'd still take a day like that, who am I kidding)
I had a day like that with stripers. My buddy has a place on a big reservoir in North Carolina. We shoved off in his row boat and there were 2# stripers swirling all around us. It was kinda funny watching these guys in $50k bass boats zoom all over the lake chasing fish, while we caught 80+ stripers in 2 hours in his dinky dinghy.

We've also got into the white bass over the same rocky point. The lake is full of gizzard shad and everything in the lake eats 'em. You'd see a school of shad get pushed up to the surface and then see 3-4 swirls of stripers or white bass immediately after.

To go a little deeper on what I said earlier, this guy right here in Nickel matches size and shape of the gizzard shad. When there are shad on the surface, fish it right on top of the water as fast as you can.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 2, 2020

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I love these dream days fishing. Here's mine; Me and my son go out on our last party boat in SoCal. Hes 12 years old and we've gone out a few times before. We head to mexican waters just south of San Diego.

On these boats you usually fish rock fish. The monster of the trip is usually when someone catches a Ling Cod. You drop a piece of squid straight down to the reef and wait for a bite and reel it up. It's a blast and the galley has beers and burgers and everyone has fun and catches a burlap sack full of rock fish.

However, when it's yellowtail season it's a different game. The boats are booked solid and it's serious business.

Now on this trip there was no rhyme or reason there would be yellowtail in the grounds. Nobody expected them or planned for it. Normal rockfish 1/2 day party boat.

But, there they were. Schools of them in a place and time they never should have been. The mates were stunned. Reel em up! They cried and it suddenly went from squid strips to live anchovies as bait.

We caught our limits quickly and nothing fights like yellowtail. I've had them pull me all over in a kayak. But the best part was everyone saw how much fun my son was having and invited him to fight their fish, I'm sure they were tired anyways, and he obliged. I've never seen a kid so proud.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

I love these dream days fishing. Here's mine; Me and my son go out on our last party boat in SoCal. Hes 12 years old and we've gone out a few times before. We head to mexican waters just south of San Diego.

On these boats you usually fish rock fish. The monster of the trip is usually when someone catches a Ling Cod. You drop a piece of squid straight down to the reef and wait for a bite and reel it up. It's a blast and the galley has beers and burgers and everyone has fun and catches a burlap sack full of rock fish.

However, when it's yellowtail season it's a different game. The boats are booked solid and it's serious business.

Now on this trip there was no rhyme or reason there would be yellowtail in the grounds. Nobody expected them or planned for it. Normal rockfish 1/2 day party boat.

But, there they were. Schools of them in a place and time they never should have been. The mates were stunned. Reel em up! They cried and it suddenly went from squid strips to live anchovies as bait.

We caught our limits quickly and nothing fights like yellowtail. I've had them pull me all over in a kayak. But the best part was everyone saw how much fun my son was having and invited him to fight their fish, I'm sure they were tired anyways, and he obliged. I've never seen a kid so proud.
Now that is a fishing story.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Heading to Hat Creek in Northern California tomorrow for a 3 night camping session and a whole lot of trout fishing.

No idea what the plants have been like with Corona, don't really care though.

I'm so happy to get away from the Bay Area for the next 4 days I'd throw my Kastmaster into a puddle and smile from ear to ear.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TheKevman posted:

Heading to Hat Creek in Northern California tomorrow for a 3 night camping session and a whole lot of trout fishing.

No idea what the plants have been like with Corona, don't really care though.

I'm so happy to get away from the Bay Area for the next 4 days I'd throw my Kastmaster into a puddle and smile from ear to ear.

I'm pretty sure they stocked fish normally here. That creek looks pretty, have fun in Shasta! I'm envious. Im still waiting on half my order from mudcreek and I want to build some new graphite rods so badly I have the same itch

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09a4woO-4Wc

Not exactly fishing, but worth watching at the moment. He touches on the taboo of talking about racial issues in the fishing industry and how some of the competitors he fishes against are just being hateful assholes at the moment. (And for once I'd say look in the comments. Its nice to see how it was received, even if my brain warns me it won't make a difference.)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Can y'all show me the rod holders you have built into milk crates? I have an idea of how I want to do it, but I'm guessing someone else has done it better.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ghostnuke posted:

Can y'all show me the rod holders you have built into milk crates? I have an idea of how I want to do it, but I'm guessing someone else has done it better.

It's a really crappy image because my car is packed for a big fishing and camping trip and I can't get it out for a proper photo.

It's really just a set of these cable tied onto each side of the crate. They're just a cheap Chinese-y set of rocket launcher style rod holders, there's probably someone who imports essentially the same thing even if that brand isn't available in the US.

I used a dremel tool to carve away part of the lower section of the rod holders so it fit in the back of the kayak better but it doesn't affect it's rod holding abilities.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Caught like 20 striped bass today in the cape canal, including a 30 incher for me and my brother in law. It’s like cheating out there

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

How do you find a spill way to fish? Seen some fun fishing videos on YouTube of all types of fish being caught.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Rythe posted:

How do you find a spill way to fish? Seen some fun fishing videos on YouTube of all types of fish being caught.

Find a dam, there will be an outlet.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

atlas barfed posted:

I can only comment for bass fishing, but I've only fished Dorey a couple times and never had much luck. I like both Echo Lake and Three Lakes parks for bass, Echo because I generally have good luck and think the scenery is nice, and Three Lakes has pretty nice sized bass and pickerel. Both parks have much less access from the bank than Dorey though. I don't have any experience with catfish though, but both should be stocked. Feel to reply or PM me if you want any specific advice on fishing them.

I forgot about Echo Lake. Going to check that out this summer. My brother and I are heading out today to Dutch Gap trying for big catfish. I don't often target catfish, but catching a big one is one of my goals this year. Next is gar. I hear they are skittish but I've nearly been run into by one wade fishing in shallow water a couple of times.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

It's a really crappy image because my car is packed for a big fishing and camping trip and I can't get it out for a proper photo.

It's really just a set of these cable tied onto each side of the crate. They're just a cheap Chinese-y set of rocket launcher style rod holders, there's probably someone who imports essentially the same thing even if that brand isn't available in the US.

I used a dremel tool to carve away part of the lower section of the rod holders so it fit in the back of the kayak better but it doesn't affect it's rod holding abilities.

I didn't feel like spending any money so I just built one out of stuff I had laying around. Here's what I ended up with:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Looks good, if you heat up the pvc you can use a beer bottle to shape the top so it flares out a bit which makes getting the rods in a bit easier. Ive also seen people make a collar out of pvc the next size up that you can twist to lock in the rods in case you flip the kayak. Probably not such an issue for flat water yakking but it could be handy at sea.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Good results on chicken breast with garlic. Didn't get the big one yesterday, but managed a 4lb channel and a small blue catfish. Also two little stripers. And a turtle. I outfished my brother, which is an event because he's the kind of turd who can catch a tarpon in a Nebraska drainage ditch.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What's a good inexpensive rod and reel combo for an eight year old? When I was a kid the Zebco 404 was the standard entry point but that model doesn't seem as prevalent now. Are there other brands producing decent but cheap entry level combos? Is the Zebco 202 any good?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
caught two stripers this morning on the beach and I think a seal took a third off me. thought about fighting him but the sharks will be here soon to carry out swift justice for me

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

me your dad posted:

What's a good inexpensive rod and reel combo for an eight year old? When I was a kid the Zebco 404 was the standard entry point but that model doesn't seem as prevalent now. Are there other brands producing decent but cheap entry level combos? Is the Zebco 202 any good?

Do you want a casting rod or a spinning rod? For spinners, I love Daiwa's entry level combos.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

me your dad posted:

I got my kid an Ugly Stik combo for like $40. They are drat near indestructable. I think I still have my Ugly Stik from when I was about 10.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you want a casting rod or a spinning rod? For spinners, I love Daiwa's entry level combos.

A classic spincast reel combo. A spinning reel may be too complicated and we have enough old baitcasting reels around the house that it will be an easier transition from spincast to baitcast.

Yooper posted:

I got my kid an Ugly Stik combo for like $40. They are drat near indestructable. I think I still have my Ugly Stik from when I was about 10.

I see they are spinning reels. For the reasons above, I'd like a spincast reel.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

spincasting rigs are still out there for sure, I picked one up for my kid pretty cheap last year at cabela's.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

me your dad posted:

I see they are spinning reels. For the reasons above, I'd like a spincast reel.

They pair with Spincast too.

https://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-combos-spincast-combos/

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I see this spincast combo and it will work great.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

me your dad posted:

The modern Zebco 202 is a toy. All of Zebco's closed-face reels are now plastic garbage, a far cry from my dad's 404 that he used for 20+ years or my old 33 that lasted 10.

I did pick up a cheap Shakespeare for the wife a few years ago though, surprised how long it held up.

EDIT: Actually it's the same Shakespeare as in that combo, so yeah, that should shake out good.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

me your dad posted:

Buy a cheap combo from WalMart and some fresh line. Whatever line is on there is poo poo and will cause frustration. Fresh-spool some decent line to keep your kiddo from having to deal with tangles and stuff. I like Berkeley 6-lb mono for freshwater panfish and walleyes.

A spinning reel is easy and definitely not too complicated for an 8-year old to operate. The closed-face baitcasters are problematic with tangles and not really any easier to operate.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

If you want a spincaster, the Ugly Stik Jr. combo is fine so long as you spool it with decent line.

At 8 though it's probably worth graduating to an inexpensive (but not garbage, cause those are just frustrating to use) spinning reel.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 9, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seconding the spinning reel suggestion. I was right about 8 when I started using my dad's spinning reels instead of the zebco spincasts he'd had me on for a few years previously. It was a major improvement.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've seen a few people post here about tying flies, would you be able to tell from a picture what materials I'd need to tie one?

I saw this surf candy fly in a book I had lying around, and it looks absolutely perfect for a whole bunch of fish here when the whitebait are schooling (which is now). It's different to some of the variants I've seen online in that it appears to have a bit of shiny tubing with a feather poking out the end of it to make the tail.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
There are like 14 miles of canal to fish and this mfer stood right next to me and cast over my line 4 times. im just trying to relax and fish man

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

You've got a few things going on here. The body is what's called an "EZ Body" tube. I'm not sure exactly what is making up the tail, it could just be a feather, but judging by the style it's a synthetic of some type. The rest is synthetic hair, tinsel, and a whole lot of UV cured glue.

The video below shows a similar pattern. In his he slices the tube and draws it right over the hook. In the picture you posted you can see the tube goes over the top of the hook that allows it to go way further without any slitting. I think your design is a better use of the technology as the UV cure is holding it all place. The purist in me scoffs at UV cure, but man, people are doing some really cool poo poo with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQX6F6_FxWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks for that. I think a feather would make an adequate tail even if the one in the picture is synthetic. I was more wondering about the body tube because the instructions I'd been able to find just had the hair.

I'll just be using the cheap epoxy that comes in those conjoined tubes because UV cure stuff looks pretty expensive and I've already blown my fishing budget and I only got paid on Monday.