Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fun fact I learned yesterday: Tesla's autopilot 3D visualization is Unreal Engine 4. They are hiring a UE4 dev in Palo Alto to continue work on autopilot's visualization screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

dissss posted:

Are you sure it isn't a broken 5 speed? Would explain things.

This one is a weird 4 speed auto. It has been serviced.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Savington posted:

Mercedes never offered a C-class in the USA in 2003 with a 4-speed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class_(W203)

Interesting. That would be amusing if it really was a 5 speed. Maybe the undecipherable switch near the shift lever cuts out 5th.

I've done the "drive it like a manual" thing (+/-, left to right) and it felt the same.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Westy543 posted:

Fun fact I learned yesterday: Tesla's autopilot 3D visualization is Unreal Engine 4. They are hiring a UE4 dev in Palo Alto to continue work on autopilot's visualization screen.

Thread title continues to deliver.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Elviscat posted:

I'd really enjoy auto-dimming side mirrors, I have to point my mirrors back into the faces of brotrucks with sick HIDs or LEDs pretty frequently in my Leaf, it's annoying since it disables that mirror for night driving.

I adjusted my side mirrors to the SAE recommendation and not only can I see a lot more but the light from people's misaligned headlights and high beams don't go straight into my eyeballs.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Elon give me my Tesla

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

If the LA office where I work opens again, I’ll want to drive up there instead of Amtrak/Subway. I was staying in LA for 3 days a week and the company paid for the train/hotel.

With the IRS auto rate being 57.5¢/mile, 4 RT’s a month would be $460/mo.

So lease a Hyundai Kona EV?

Oh and I wish VW would ship the ID3 here, but they won’t.

You can’t deduct travel expenses to or from your regular place of employment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe the undecipherable switch near the shift lever cuts out 5th.

I mean, that’s the most likely thing it would be, right? An “Overdrive disable” for towing/hill climbing/etc is not an unusual thing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Probably his company paying him the IRS rate if he works from home, I used to have that and it was awesome. Got paid to drive from Los Angeles to San Diego and back all the time, while doing it in my 2000 LS400 with 100k+ miles so who cares about depreciation.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If he’s taking a train to get there and staying a hotel it’s not a “regular place of employment.”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If he’s taking a train to get there and staying a hotel it’s not a “regular place of employment.”

That's not how it works. There are people that take commercial flights to their "regular place of employment" and that isn't tax deductible either. He said "the LA office where I work" which makes it seem to me like it is his regular place of employment and he's just considering driving rather than taking light rail.

He works there 3 days a week, sounds like regular place of employment to me. You don't get to tax deduct helo flights to and from just because he's made the choice to live 100 miles away from his regular place of employment.

MomJeans420 posted:

Probably his company paying him the IRS rate if he works from home, I used to have that and it was awesome. Got paid to drive from Los Angeles to San Diego and back all the time, while doing it in my 2000 LS400 with 100k+ miles so who cares about depreciation.

Yeah I agree that's likely but then of course it's taxable as regular income I believe.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 30, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

That's not how it works. There are people that take commercial flights to their "regular place of employment" and that isn't tax deductible either. He said "the LA office where I work" which makes it seem to me like it is his regular place of employment and he's just considering driving rather than taking light rail.

He works there 3 days a week, sounds like regular place of employment to me. You don't get to tax deduct helo flights to and from just because he's made the choice to live 100 miles away from his regular place of employment.

It depends on how much of his work is done at the office vs at home. If he’s working from home at least half his time then his office trips would qualify as work travel expenses.

quote:

Yeah I agree that's likely but then of course it's taxable as regular income I believe.

Mileage re-imbursement (and business expense re-imbursement generally) is not taxable income if it is covered under an accountable plan by the business. If the company is not reporting it as W-2 income then that is probably the case.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
My Leaf lost its 4th bar today. Now I get to figure out what the dealer will do and when I can get it in.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It depends on how much of his work is done at the office vs at home. If he’s working from home at least half his time then his office trips would qualify as work travel expenses.

Mileage re-imbursement (and business expense re-imbursement generally) is not taxable income if it is covered under an accountable plan by the business. If the company is not reporting it as W-2 income then that is probably the case.

That's how it was for me, which makes sense as it's reimbursement for expenses occurred. It's hard to tell from his post if 4 round trips a month means he's doing it every week (and now driving but staying at the hotel still). I took it to mean he would be driving up and back the same day 4 days a month in which case he's definitely working from home over half the time.

If I took the longer but faster way on my trips in the past I would get reimbursed ~$160 and use around $50 in gas, it kicked rear end.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon give me my Tesla

Are you sure? (I actually have no idea what's going here, it couldn't have been delivered like that I hope)

https://twitter.com/ii_mallari/status/1266531637900132353?s=20

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

blindjoe posted:

My Leaf lost its 4th bar today. Now I get to figure out what the dealer will do and when I can get it in.

My friend was able to get that "last bar" to go away while under warranty so Nissan replaced the pack for free. They'll replace it if you lose a certain number of bars while in warranty.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

blindjoe posted:

Congratulations! Let us know how the new 40kWh battery treats you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'll guess they update the firmware and it'll go back to 10 bars but let us know how you get on.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MomJeans420 posted:

Are you sure? (I actually have no idea what's going here, it couldn't have been delivered like that I hope)

https://twitter.com/ii_mallari/status/1266531637900132353?s=20

I was wondering how they managed to meet and exceed their pre-shutdown production capacity in like 3 days.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That looks like they just sprayed paint straight on the bumper cover with no primer. I’ve seen that type of paint peeling but it’s usually on old rear end care with lovely paint jobs. Like a $200 entire car respray.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon give me my Tesla
I'm starting to suspect that Elon is not reading this thread

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That looks like they just sprayed paint straight on the bumper cover with no primer. I’ve seen that type of paint peeling but it’s usually on old rear end care with lovely paint jobs. Like a $200 entire car respray.
If going by anecdotal evidence on social media, the poverty model Teslas are built to the same level of quality, as ghetto neighborhood body shop repairs.

Hopefully the drivetrain will last, it's the most expensive part of them anyway.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

dissss posted:

I'll guess they update the firmware and it'll go back to 10 bars but let us know how you get on.

Has this happened and been documented?

I suspect warranty work pays enough that if this were the case, it wouldn't be a dealership issue.

Sure enough though Nissan set my friend up right and the car got real factory range after the change-out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He says three days a week in the office, I mean I guess he can claim he works the other 4 days at home but come on. Regardless "taking a train" and "staying at a hotel" have absolutely zero to do with whether or not it's your regular place of employment. E.g. tons of people take flights and stay in hotels en route to working in the mining industry in Alaska while living in the lower 48 and absolutely none of it is tax deductible.

quote:

If your company is paying you for your (non deductible) commute to your regular place of employment then it's regular income, is what I'm saying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TBH the more interesting derail is apparently him and his wife thinking their 5 speed Mercedes only has 4 speeds. According to my math, 65 miles per hour with a tire diameter of 24.9" (205/55R16s) at 3035 RPM works out to a 3.46 gear ratio. Which is a common rear axle ratio for MB of that vintage and what you'd expect to see if you were in 4th (1.0 ratio) rather than 5th (0.83). Shifting into 5th should drop the RPM to a more reasonable 2500.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Westy543 posted:

It's kind of crazy how well you can do if you're trained in UE building and game design now.

The digital backdrop sets* for The Mandalorian all rely on Unreal poo poo. So there's a guy with Surface Pro or something on stage making alterations and scanning through the shot list with the DP. If something's off, they can just resize, recolor or add something on the fly.

(Giant wall-screens, basically. They're great because they give actors a frame of reference better than "green field with basic geometry" and give the camera guys indirect/environmental lighting)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of crazy how well you can do if you're trained in UE building and game design now.

The digital backdrop sets* for The Mandalorian all rely on Unreal poo poo. So there's a guy with Surface Pro or something on stage making alterations and scanning through the shot list with the DP. If something's off, they can just resize, recolor or add something on the fly.

(Giant wall-screens, basically. They're great because they give actors a frame of reference better than "green field with basic geometry" and give the camera guys indirect/environmental lighting)

Just watched the this and this is pretty neat! The mind kinda boggles at the possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Muskmobile stock gonna be riding high after this shuttle launch, aint it?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

dissss posted:

This is my guess too but there is always hope.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MomJeans420 posted:

Just to clarify, my unlimited demand was in relation to the price cuts.

In other news, Audi gonna Audi

https://twitter.com/Biohazard3737/status/1265652836504870912?s=20
My EV Kia gives me oil change warnings every 5000 miles. The Niro comes in a regular hybrid version so I guess they just use the same code in all of them.

If anyone has a PHEV, is there a way to know how many miles were electric and how many were ICE?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CannonFodder posted:

If anyone has a PHEV, is there a way to know how many miles were electric and how many were ICE?

I'd like to know this as well, would be interesting.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CannonFodder posted:

My EV Kia gives me oil change warnings every 5000 miles. The Niro comes in a regular hybrid version so I guess they just use the same code in all of them.

For Volts, OnStar tracks it. I get a monthly email about how many miles and what percentage EV they were. A site called Volt Stats pulls this info and ranks users.

OnStar email:

Volt Stats:

The vast majority of my gas miles were from before I bought it. Lifetime MPG was like 49 or 50, which is nearly exclusively running in hybrid mode

Edit: Ha, you can pretty much see that in the graph. I bought the car in early December '18. Note how straight the gas mile line is from even 1/30/19!

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 31, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw a Model X this morning with a SpaceX badge next to the a-pillar. I guess that's sort of like Saab drivers and their fighter jets?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Finger Prince posted:

I saw a Model X this morning with a SpaceX badge next to the a-pillar. I guess that's sort of like Saab drivers and their fighter jets?

It wasn’t driving in a convoy to Cape Canaveral, was it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It wasn’t driving in a convoy to Cape Canaveral, was it?

Definitely not.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

For Volts, OnStar tracks it. I get a monthly email about how many miles and what percentage EV they were. A site called Volt Stats pulls this info and ranks users.

*lots of great info*
Thanks! The "Remaining oil life" is an extra stat that is very useful.

And yes, the EV miles started climbing while the gas miles stayed low. Good job!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I mean, that’s the most likely thing it would be, right? An “Overdrive disable” for towing/hill climbing/etc is not an unusual thing.

There’s a button (push) labeled W/S (one above the other). It’s not a toggle, there’s no way of knowing what ‘mode’ it’s set to and the dealer who serviced it didn’t know what it did either.

So I hit it yesterday and yeah, the car is a 5-speed. 2500 rpm vs. 3100 rpm on the highway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Being in wet / winter mode will make it start in 2nd getter but shouldn't keep it from going to top gear AFAIK. But your car has a user manual

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VideoGameVet posted:

There’s a button (push) labeled W/S (one above the other). It’s not a toggle, there’s no way of knowing what ‘mode’ it’s set to and the dealer who serviced it didn’t know what it did either.

So I hit it yesterday and yeah, the car is a 5-speed. 2500 rpm vs. 3100 rpm on the highway.

goons saving each other monay

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CannonFodder posted:

Thanks! The "Remaining oil life" is an extra stat that is very useful.

And yes, the EV miles started climbing while the gas miles stayed low. Good job!

Yeah the Volt is my first car where there's tons I don't have to worry about. Oil lasts 2 years or some amount of gas miles (that I'll never hit) and life is easily accessed through the dashboard as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Elon give me my Tesla