Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Awesome, you guys keep rebutting the "this game is like monster hunter" argument I wasn't making, but rather was anticipating someone else making because a) I referred to it as an MMO and b) I saw this game's fans compare it to Monster Hunter (as opposed to an MMO) earlier in the thread.

While there are a lot of differences, the structure of a little hub you venture out from to small zones again and again culminating in a big monster fight does resemble MonHun more than it does any traditional MMO.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

Awesome, you guys keep rebutting the "this game is like monster hunter" argument I wasn't making, but rather was anticipating someone else making because a) I referred to it as an MMO and b) I saw this game's fans compare it to Monster Hunter (as opposed to an MMO) earlier in the thread.

I think you're reading too much into it, nobody is salty. Theres comparisons to make to Diablo etc too, but PSO2 only shares things in common with these games. I wouldnt call it an mh like or a Diablo like. :shobon:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like you could strip out 50% of the systems in this game and it would be a better game.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Why have new restas, megids, and ilgrants not dropped for me yet? I've been using level 1s forever...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

so is there an NA server goon alliance yet? is there any point to it?

Join the discord and ask in #na_gateship. Link is in the OP.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Anyone know how to get Naverius Rock? I know it's part of a quest reward but can you find it out in the wild?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Numberwang!!! posted:

Anyone know how to get Naverius Rock? I know it's part of a quest reward but can you find it out in the wild?

You can mine it from harvest points (the green pickaxe icons) on certain expedition maps (Forest, Tundra, Ruins). See here for more detailed information.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Numberwang!!! posted:

Mining in Forest and Tundra, the areas on Naverius. Come to think of it, I haven't done any gathering at all yet, I haven't really had enough time to sit down and really reacquaint myself with things yet

edit: beat, also I forgot Ruins

edit: actually thats bullshit, I have had time, I've just spent a lot of it poking through the player shops looking for dealz :blush:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 1, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Hypocrisy posted:

You can mine it from harvest points (the green pickaxe icons) on certain expedition maps (Forest, Tundra, Ruins). See here for more detailed information.

Can Naverious Rock spawn off any mining node on those 3 planets? Or is it a specific node?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I said come in! posted:

You look like a character from an early 2000s CGI kids movie.

Oh, thats a character from the character creator. I have a big purple CAST.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

oh are we robot posting?

~ In The Blue Sky ~ - [Vaporwave Remix]

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Numberwang!!! posted:

Can Naverious Rock spawn off any mining node on those 3 planets? Or is it a specific node?

Any green node (blue are fishing) I think it's just purely random.

For what its worth: Your probably want to try to hit up gathering once a day if you can - it's gated by an energy system and doing more of it will level it up. You'll eventually want/need mats for making/upgrading rings.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Quadtails. Pushing the boundaries of anime robot technology

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Its got a bit of a trucker mudflap vibe.

That's what I was actually trying to go for, then I found out I couldn't put it on my buttflaps and never bothered to take it off.

edit: I like your robot, RBA. Hats are good.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 1, 2020

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I kinda wish I'd made a robot now.

Things I don't understand at level 40:

Mashing weapons together to improve one

Making rings

How to tell at a glance which of the 5 identically named pieces of gear is better

Whether or not to ID the unidentified items I find (of types I don't use) or just sell them

What the different kinds of missions are and when to pick a given type.

I've kind of just been randomly doing poo poo and making levels go up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd love a goon guide on all the major game systems. Weapons and armor especially, as well as the best way to level up. I just grab random COs and do an expedition or whatever and then turn them in and am around 35. I imagine there's goon wisdom on like "only do quests that XYZ" or something, but in any event the game is fun and, more importantly, the grind is fun.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Annath posted:

Making rings

How to tell at a glance which of the 5 identically named pieces of gear is better

Whether or not to ID the unidentified items I find (of types I don't use) or just sell them

this would be ideal

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

This is basically how I play. There's a lot of poo poo to remember, but aside from your mag you can't really mess up too bad aside from assigning skills, but skill tree cards will pop up from time to time so whatever.

Definitely ID stuff and either feed it to your mag (if it gives you the right stats) or sell it. If you pick up a shop pass (you'll get them from fun scratchers from time to time) you can throw any you have saved up on there and people will buy them for mag food

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Making rings

My guesses/understanding:

Mashing weapons together: Don't understand it too well, but weapons have like, 4? slots for augments? They have names and ranks and they boost stats. Eg "Might I" raises Melee Power. You want to get a spare weapon with the augment you want, to slam onto the weapon you want. The weapon is sacraficed in this process, and there's stuff that determines the likelihood if it will succeed. (Better augments have lower chances.)

Where it got a bit confusing to me is there's circumstances where you'll be replacing existing augments. I didn't really understand this and ended up wiping out existing augments on my good weapon when the process failed.

There's also just mashing grinders to give your weapon a higher number. That's where +1/+2/+3, etc. comes from.

Making Rings: There should be some client orders that sorta explain it, but basically look up a guide to see what rings your class/build wants. There should be some stuff in the Cafe that kind explains it? You'll need to gather mats depending on the ring, then you'll want extras because rings have XP bars and as they fill up you'll be able to upgrade the similarly to weapons, but they take some of the same mats you used to make the ring.

Gear at a glance: the equip menu should have a decent numbers up/numbers down view? For weapons make sure you have the right one active to make the comparison. For weapons you probably care most about the relevant attack stat. Armor, not really sure.

Doesn't seem like there's much reason not to ID? At least early on. There's like a enhanced ID thing I'm guessing I'll want to use in endgame?

I too have mostly been doing random poo poo to make level go up. Some client orders can be a really good source of EXP, check my post history for some screenshots for how to find relevant client orders.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also joining in on the robot posting. Featuring drill knees! And the doofy cape you get from doing story quests!

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I'm betting, because this game's ui is just awful, that the answer is no, but: Is there some way to make it so I have to press Enter or something to begin typing in the chat window? This is one of those games that recognizes Logitech G keys as normal number keys, so while I'm using my discord push-to-talk button I'm just filling a text field with 6's. Honestly, the more annoying part is that pressing X on my controller sends the 6's before it'll let me jump again.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Rocketpriest posted:

So I'm betting, because this game's ui is just awful, that the answer is no, but: Is there some way to make it so I have to press Enter or something to begin typing in the chat window? This is one of those games that recognizes Logitech G keys as normal number keys, so while I'm using my discord push-to-talk button I'm just filling a text field with 6's. Honestly, the more annoying part is that pressing X on my controller sends the 6's before it'll let me jump again.

Press scroll lock to enable/disable direct chat. It should have been disabled by default though. Might have accidentally enabled it too because it saves the setting when you toggle.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 1, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
On the topic of grind level: is there some limit to where I should get it while leveling? I've gotten a ton of copies of this one 7* katana as drops so I just keep shoving them into it and it's at +24 or something now. I thought as you got to higher grind levels there would be a failure chance or something but I haven't seen one yet... What's up with that?
Or should I just keep going until it gets to the cap?

Rocketpriest posted:

Go into the menu and turn off "direct chat" under the chat subheader.
Took me forever to find this because I expected it to be in the controls menu

Bloodplay it again posted:

Press scroll lock to enable/disable direct chat. It should have been disabled by default though. Might have accidentally enabled it too because it saves the setting when you toggle.

For me it gave a popup asking if I wanted it enabled or not when I first created my character, but it probably only does that if you have a controller plugged in.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 1, 2020

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So hold on, is that one tutorial quest about setting up auto-chat simply non-completeable? I set the response in question and it didn't do anything.

(Otherwise I'm having a grand old time, even if it's years late :v: I've also somehow avoided all the problems and the game runs just fine, except for standard lobby Ironforge-style load lag, which I could probably get rid of by loading the full install on my SSD but lol, not yet at least)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

THE loving MOON posted:

On paper, monster hunter seems like it would be right up my alley. In practice, I don't like that the game is focused entirely around boss fights that you need to do over and over to advance, and need to always have company to make any headway.

I mean you still have to grind poo poo out in PSO2, but It just feels unabashedly 'gamey' to me in a way thats hard to pin down and that I like a lot.

Edit: everything is so deliberate in monster hunter, sometimes I just want to drop in and gently caress up some trash mobs without needing to coordinate anything.

Outside of a few specific fights monhun absolutely allows you to solo everything

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SpaceDrake posted:

So hold on, is that one tutorial quest about setting up auto-chat simply non-completeable? I set the response in question and it didn't do anything.

(Otherwise I'm having a grand old time, even if it's years late :v: I've also somehow avoided all the problems and the game runs just fine, except for standard lobby Ironforge-style load lag, which I could probably get rid of by loading the full install on my SSD but lol, not yet at least)

You need to TRIGGER the auto-chat phrase too. In other words, complete a quest with the auto-chat set.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Windows wiped all the files for the game on startup, ayyy lmao. I have no idea how you gently caress up a game this bad.

Edit: its a real loving shame too because I was really enjoying it when I could actually play it

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 1, 2020

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Tardcore posted:

Windows wiped all the files for the game on startup, ayyy lmao. I have no idea how you gently caress up a game this bad.

Edit: its a real loving shame too because I was really enjoying it when I could actually play it

I had the same issue but I used the PSO2 Launch Tweaker which allows you to verify files and fix the issue. There is a pretty good reddit post about it.

I do like how you can gather for a small concert with people and get a buff out of it. Just be careful if you're playing around other people cause there was a lot of very NSFW images being sent.

Also the dealer for Black Nyack is a monster and I will see him in hell.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tarezax posted:

Outside of a few specific fights monhun absolutely allows you to solo everything

It's much easier in multiplayer though, since 4 players means the monster's only targeting you 1/4th as often.

Actually the difference in World is less severe than it was in previous games... it used to be that monster hp wouldn't scale down for smaller parties, and the highest rank of quests were all multiplayer-scaled, so trying to solo them meant you had to push through way more monster HP as well. In MHW they automatically scale the monster's hp down based on whether it's a 1, 2, or 4-player hunt.

Tardcore posted:

Apparently the MS store is really terrible about this. If something goes wrong with an app, the MS store automatically tries to delete everything and restore from a backup. But the store thinks "the app" here is just the pso2 launcher, so it deletes all the game data but then only restores the launcher and tells you to get hosed.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

moosecow333 posted:

I had the same issue but I used the PSO2 Launch Tweaker which allows you to verify files and fix the issue. There is a pretty good reddit post about it.

I do like how you can gather for a small concert with people and get a buff out of it. Just be careful if you're playing around other people cause there was a lot of very NSFW images being sent.

Also the dealer for Black Nyack is a monster and I will see him in hell.

My sister used that but she was still having massive issues

Edit: there was also like 70 gigs of game locked behind permissions after I uninstalled

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just rolled a big chonky robot Bouncer. Still doing tutorials, but since I feel like mixing up with both the Blades and the Boots I was wondering about the Mag. From what I am reading I should try to level its Dex exclusively?

I love that all the Cast models just look like Virtualoids. I also swear I saw Beat's Sunglasses (from JSR) as one of the default accessories. Just nice little Sega touches seem to permeate the game.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 1, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
For Hunter - what is the benefit of Partisans vs Swords/Dual Blades?

It feels like they wouldn't have a niche because you can just use swords for your big focusing hits and dual blades when mowing down little dudes.

Also - where do gunblades fit in?

Also, also - I'm working through Alfin's quests and I don't think I understand how the different pallets work and how I should be assigning things.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 1, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

For Hunter - what is the benefit of Partisans vs Swords/Dual Blades?

It feels like they wouldn't have a niche because you can just use swords for your big focusing hits and dual blades when mowing down little dudes.

Also - where do gunblades fit in?

Partisans have a Photon art that throws out an energy spear into an enemy, and then records the damage that you do to that enemy for a few seconds, and then explodes dealing a portion of the total damage that you did while it was on them. This makes them great for single target fights where you have the opening to combo a boss for a few seconds.

Gunblades are... bad. There's not a single class that benefits from using them over one of their other weapons. That said if you really love gunblade, a Fighter/Hunter using a gunblade can put out a decent amount of damage. It's just very high effort for a very middling reward.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

robot posting

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The only way I've gotten the gunblade to work is to have it in gun mode and constantly stay just out of melee range. This way it feels like a low powered bow with better burst melee ranged burst damage. Why they gave it a "switch mode" weapon action instead of just a "ranged attack" weapon action is p stupid. But yeah idk w/e

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

afaik gunblades mostly just exist so if you start a new class and don't have a good weapon/PAs you can rely on the gunblade until you do

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gunblades exist because PSO1 had handguns and sabers for people who couldn't ever equip a real rifle or sword, and once upon a time that was important in this game too. For about a week, anyway.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I sinned and bought AC hoping to get the thiccest robot thighs possible.

I failed and only got worthless sexy nurse outfits instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I sinned and bought AC hoping to get the thiccest robot thighs possible.

I failed and only got worthless sexy nurse outfits instead.

sell them and use the money to buy the robot thighs from another player. All AC scratch items can be put on the market.