Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

taqueso posted:

If you are going to paint it yourself, have you considered going with a non-factory color?
Consider this my vote for "rattlecan lime green".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

2015 Yas Marina M3 Manual, 48K miles $36K This is cheaper than I paid for my E90 3 1/2 years ago with just about 6K more miles.
I need this in my life

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Consider this my vote for "rattlecan lime green".

House of Kolor Lime Gold

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

taqueso posted:

House of Kolor Lime Gold

Hell. Yes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh yeah. I haven't even looked at the prices of those because I would literally never consider buying them. The F80 looks so much better in comparison, and anyone wanting a nut stomping 2 door from Welt should just get the M2.

Not much in the way of cheap ones for sale right now but:

2016 M4 DCT 29K miles $36,000 Terrible photos and even worse description but if truly a clean title then hilariously cheap.
2015 Yas Marina M3 Manual, 48K miles $36K This is cheaper than I paid for my E90 3 1/2 years ago with just about 6K more miles.
2015 Yas Marina M3 DCT 42K miles $35K I would honestly probably have picked this up over my E90 if something like this was available when I was shopping. Most of them were $50K+ when I was shopping though.

At least each of these have the carbon roof.

drat, I hadn't seen anything but really high mileage F80's for that little money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

Inevitable.

BlackMK4 posted:

fun car and daily driver

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Joining the church of Ether Frenzy and Somewhat Heroic will cure you of your past sins.

Been telling you a holes for years this is the right move. Prices/availability/condition are the sweet spot right now and probably won’t be for long as they begin to enter fourth+ owners on history and most are above 100k miles.

I looked at first year F80’s on the local classifieds and wow have those prices fallen dramatically.

Yeah, this is what I’m struggling with. As awesome as the E90 sounds, it’s a 10+ year old mass produced car now. As crappy as the steering is, those F80s are over 5 years newer. If you want two doors, M2s are coming down very fast too. Seems like people are still asking 25-30k for the E90s you’d want.

Really I just need more garage space.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, this is what I’m struggling with. As awesome as the E90 sounds, it’s a 10+ year old mass produced car now. As crappy as the steering is, those F80s are over 5 years newer. If you want two doors, M2s are coming down very fast too. Seems like people are still asking 25-30k for the E90s you’d want.

Really I just need more garage space.

I feel like I made the right decision going with the F80 over the E90. If it wasn't my DD I probably would have gone with the E90.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh yeah. I haven't even looked at the prices of those because I would literally never consider buying them. The F80 looks so much better in comparison, and anyone wanting a nut stomping 2 door from Welt should just get the M2.

Not much in the way of cheap ones for sale right now but:

2016 M4 DCT 29K miles $36,000 Terrible photos and even worse description but if truly a clean title then hilariously cheap.
2015 Yas Marina M3 DCT 42K miles $35K I would honestly probably have picked this up over my E90 if something like this was available when I was shopping. Most of them were $50K+ when I was shopping though.

At least each of these have the carbon roof.

This makes me scared to do a search of upper Virginia. I may find something too good to pass up. Also I'd have to find a place to dump my e82

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

taqueso posted:

If you are going to paint it yourself, have you considered going with a non-factory color?

Trying to stick to original close enough with QoL mods so it can be called a restomod :)
Hell it will be easier to weld a rollcage, stick a 2jz in it, turbo the gently caress out of it and paint it lambo green or something.

upd yes that lime kandy :sun:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

I feel like I made the right decision going with the F80 over the E90. If it wasn't my DD I probably would have gone with the E90.

Yeah E90s now seem like they’re in this awkward place price wise: too expensive/“special” to be a toss away, and priced pretty close to what a much newer/more recent car will go for.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBS3R9C50GK337659/?referrer_id=autotempest

Love the color of this wrap

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I had a Nokia faceplate that was exactly that matte blurple color.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

A few dead ends and some boredom at the junkyard gave me the time to pull this sunroof frame from an e83 to get parts for a deep dive to fix the roof on my e61 that I broke the glass tilt/slide mechanism on on an icy night this past December. As best I can tell it’s not a straight swap, but hopefully the slidey bits I need will swap over.

$15 for the frame, but this is going to be a thing. Anyone have some good headliner cleaning tips? Magic eraser?

Waiting for a pair of sunny days, so maybe this weekend. Oh, and n54 motor mounts, trans fluid and mechatronic sleeve, OFHG. I have more parts than excuses at this point.

:getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

glyph posted:

A few dead ends and some boredom at the junkyard gave me the time to pull this sunroof frame from an e83 to get parts for a deep dive to fix the roof on my e61 that I broke the glass tilt/slide mechanism on on an icy night this past December. As best I can tell it’s not a straight swap, but hopefully the slidey bits I need will swap over.

$15 for the frame, but this is going to be a thing. Anyone have some good headliner cleaning tips? Magic eraser?

Waiting for a pair of sunny days, so maybe this weekend. Oh, and n54 motor mounts, trans fluid and mechatronic sleeve, OFHG. I have more parts than excuses at this point.

:getin:

Oh my goodness... do you hate yourself that badly?

Side note: My old wagon dropped off the for sale sites... you should ping the guy and see what happened. :D

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my e39 sunroof mechanism is a little fussy, and my way of fixing that is Don't Use the Sunroof

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just buy one with the carbon roof????

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

fknlo posted:

Just buy one with the carbon roof????

Find me an e61 with one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my e39 sunroof mechanism is a little fussy, and my way of fixing that is Don't Use the Sunroof

new thread title material right here

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

glyph posted:

Find me an e61 with one.

It sounds like you know what you have to do :getin:

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So the search is on for an F80 M3.

Year: Don't really care - it seems the only differences are smaller details - headlights, tail lights, the logo on the seats??
Color: Preferably Yas Marina Blue, but Mineral Gray Metallic is alright.
Packages: I'd prefer if it had the Competition and Executive, but could live with neither. It seems most have the executive.
Mileage: ~40k or less
Transmission: DCT - gonna be dealing poo poo traffic and kids in the back

I'm pretty open on anything but the transmission, color, and mileage. Just looking for a good deal somewhere within a few hundred miles of Atlanta (past/future home) or Northern Virginia, but I can open up the area larger to get the right car. Bonus points if I can trade in my 135.

Current leaders from my search - do y'all use anything besides Autotempest?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/809868473/overview/?aff=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBS8M9C39H5G84994/?referrer_id=autotempest
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBS8M9C54H5G42220/?referrer_id=autotempest

e: I just realized one of the ones I put in is a 12 hour drive away and more than the miles I had in my filter... Either way, I'm willing to drive for the right car, but would preferably keep it to a doable-within-a-day distance.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 30, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

So the search is on for an F80 M3.

Year: Don't really care - it seems the only differences are smaller details - headlights, tail lights, the logo on the seats??
Color: Preferably Yas Marina Blue, but Mineral Gray Metallic is alright.
Packages: I'd prefer if it had the Competition and Executive, but could live with neither. It seems most have the executive.
Mileage: ~40k or less
Transmission: DCT - gonna be dealing poo poo traffic and kids in the back

I'm pretty open on anything but the transmission, color, and mileage. Just looking for a good deal somewhere within a few hundred miles of Atlanta (past/future home) or Northern Virginia, but I can open up the area larger to get the right car. Bonus points if I can trade in my 135.

Current leaders from my search - do y'all use anything besides Autotempest?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/809868473/overview/?aff=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBS8M9C39H5G84994/?referrer_id=autotempest
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBS8M9C54H5G42220/?referrer_id=autotempest

e: I just realized one of the ones I put in is a 12 hour drive away and more than the miles I had in my filter... Either way, I'm willing to drive for the right car, but would preferably keep it to a doable-within-a-day distance.

cpo.bmwusa.com will have some options too. They won't all be cpo cars and you'll surprisingly see some deals. You'll have to look at interior shots to see if the car is a DSG as they're all listed the same or they were when I was shopping. Executive package was a must for me mainly for the rear camera. The HUD is super awesome too and also worth it. The classifieds on https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/index.php will also have some cars that may not be listed elsewhere. Then it's just the normal stuff.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 31, 2020

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Oh my goodness... do you hate yourself that badly?

Side note: My old wagon dropped off the for sale sites... you should ping the guy and see what happened. :D

Hmm, I’ll have to see if I can even find him.

Also- MHD is some poo poo. You nailed it, the bang for the buck is off the charts. I gotta dial in my brakes.

glyph fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 31, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.instagram.com/p/CA3KOh8pa5W/

Leaked ad for the new 4 series.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

2020 just keeps getting worse

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I kept holding my breath thinking it wouldn't be that bad and they'd have some cover for it.

It's that bad.

E: also unsure if it's real. Look at the lady on it. Sittin on it but also her foot is on the ground? Are her legs 8 feet long? Maybe they took one of the car with her beside then one with her on it so it's not all slammed in a corner??

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 31, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
“That’s terrible.”
-My wife, who doesn’t care about cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i made a face that looks kind of like the cars face

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It looks slightly better without the hood lines leading up to the pig snout. Slightly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

More of the brochure

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That green color with an Angry Birds/Bad Piggies license plate....

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I mean, looking at the positive side, they're advertising a coupe that only has 2 doors for a change...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I mean, looking at the positive side, they're advertising a coupe that only has 2 doors for a change...

The full brochure should have the Gran Coupe with 4 doors and the GX with five. The new X4 and X4M are also five. So the couple versions of the coupe are 20% of the models.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So they took the back end of an Audi A7, the profile of an A5, and combined it with a pig snout. Interesting design choices.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Guys I just found out, Audi has this new design language with these huge horse-collar grilles that cover the entire front end of the car! We have to get on top of this trend!"

"Sir you're holding a brochure from 2004—"

"SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING."

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Is there a reason the F10 M5s sell for around the same price as similar M3s? Looking for reliability issues shows they may have some oil consumption and battery voltage issues, whereas the M3s seem to not have much. These are the two leaders of my car search right now.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBSFV9C55GD595513/?referrer_id=autotempest
https://www.atlantacargurus.com/det...source=cars.com

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Taking a second look at these pics today and I really like it except for the dumb grille, but I think I could grow to deal with it. I wonder what it looks like in black instead of chrome.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Big Jesus posted:

Is there a reason the F10 M5s sell for around the same price as similar M3s? Looking for reliability issues shows they may have some oil consumption and battery voltage issues, whereas the M3s seem to not have much. These are the two leaders of my car search right now.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBSFV9C55GD595513/?referrer_id=autotempest
https://www.atlantacargurus.com/det...source=cars.com

Those V8's are a nuclear land mine.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

Those V8's are a nuclear land mine.

I hear the N63 has a whole basket of potential issues including oil consumption and rod bearing failure, and a new motor is on the order of $15k.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 2, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that being said.....DO IT! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Another part of the 4er brochure.