Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

There should not be multiple HUB01's on one world, right? I seem to have encountered a second one.

You absolutely can, I've passed as many as 4 in one world. But you can't do the questline or trade with them if you've already talked with the first HUB so they're worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Has anyone run into an issue where they suddenly can't craft clean water without a water purifier? The trusty atomic coffee maker isn't working anymore.

edit: nevermind, it turns out I accidentally his the recipe

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 31, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am still just playing the most recent stable version, and I found a laser rifle in the bottom floor of one of the labs I raided. After installing it in an automated turret, I gotta admit, it is a ton of fun to just annihilate hordes of zombies with endless beam spam. However, it doesn't really seem more effective than, say, an automated M249 for which you can get virtually unlimited ammo, it just doesn't have that nagging feeling I always get whenever I fire a conventional weapon that I am consuming a finite resource.

I suppose I will be using the aftershock mod on the next stable release.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The laser rifle shines as a personal weapon, though. I don't know if you can currently, but last time I got anywhere with it I was running it off my cyborg power, which is a lot easier to carry and generate than ammo, meaning less trips back to the car to reload my magazines. I'd have to check and see if that's the case now. It's also smaller, and less noisy than the m249 is.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The laser rifle shines

lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I dunno if this is common knowledge but apparently cloaking plus a vehicle with an automated turret is an effective countermeasure against flaming eyes. The eyes don't look at you if you're cloaked, and you can get close enough, fast enough to easily kill them before you run out of bionic energy.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Can't you kinda achive the same by crouching behind the wheel while you drive up to them? I swear I read that you can stop turrets from seeing+shooting you that way while you plow towards them with your deathmobile

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Can't you kinda achive the same by crouching behind the wheel while you drive up to them? I swear I read that you can stop turrets from seeing+shooting you that way while you plow towards them with your deathmobile

... I didnt know you could crouch

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's the same reason you have deathmobiles with no windows and only cameras for vision. Eyes/turrets/other non-scent-baddies completely ignore you if they don't have line-of-sight of your character.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dont worry guys, when the devs remove the ability to craft death mobiles this will all be moot!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

... I didnt know you could crouch
Shift+" should bring up the movement options iirc. You have walk, sprint and crouch. Crouch can also be used to hide(break line of sight) behind objects that are at least waist high I think

Rynoto posted:

It's the same reason you have deathmobiles with no windows and only cameras for vision. Eyes/turrets/other non-scent-baddies completely ignore you if they don't have line-of-sight of your character.
I've not actually gotten to build a death mobile yet but aren't you also "encouraged" to make the walls around your cabin two tiles wide so that zombies won't slip in when you turn and the tiles shift awkwardly?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It breaks both my sense of immersion, realism and moral decency that characters with the small or tiny trait aren't counted as permanently crouched for the purposes of sight, permissible exceptions for driving if they are equipped with an inflatable donut and platform shoes to reach the peddles.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Caidin posted:

It breaks both my sense of immersion, realism and moral decency that characters with the small or tiny trait aren't counted as permanently crouched for the purposes of sight, permissible exceptions for driving if they are equipped with an inflatable donut and platform shoes to reach the peddles.

Penalties can also be removed with another small NPC and a trenchcoat

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Kevin really has a very normal one all the time on the subreddit, doesn't he? Yikes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AFashionableHat posted:

Kevin really has a very normal one all the time on the subreddit, doesn't he? Yikes.

As you'd expect, the infalliable logic of "This is the correct decision because I'm clearly right" and the fact that he's the ultimate arbiter of what is and isn't allowed to be in the game, means that most of the other main contributors are just as bad, unfortunately.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I seem to have found another refugee center, with clones of everyone from the one I was directed to originally. Weird.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
iirc each overmap is guaranteed to spawn with the unique buildings to ensure you wont miss out on it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AFashionableHat posted:

I mean last time I checked in on him on reddit he was in the middle of an argument about how much of a slur 'karen' is. What's he on about now?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just saw some stuff about patchwork clothing parts etc. Is Tailoring being nerfed?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

I just saw some stuff about patchwork clothing parts etc. Is Tailoring being nerfed?

That's been in the works for a long time, yes.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah apparently attaching a material to another material is too unrealistic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I mean last time I checked in on him on reddit he was in the middle of an argument about how much of a slur 'karen' is. What's he on about now?

Is he against or for the use of the word?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Leal posted:

Is he against or for the use of the word?

He thinks it's a slur, soo....

I imagine that he wants to speak with everyone's manager a lot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As a retail lifer he has managed to become an even bigger wanker beyond the whole bad balancing mantra

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

He thinks it's a slur, soo....

I imagine that he wants to speak with everyone's manager a lot.

Yeah I would imagine that as a broke brained computer toucher he doesn't have a lot of sympathy for service employees

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So the description for the advanced UPS says it can't be recharged with a charging station which makes sense since it uses plutonium as the power source. But can you recharge these things when you're lucky enough to get some plutonium cells or are they just trash once they're empty?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

So the description for the advanced UPS says it can't be recharged with a charging station which makes sense since it uses plutonium as the power source. But can you recharge these things when you're lucky enough to get some plutonium cells or are they just trash once they're empty?

Yeah, you can load up to 5 plutonium cells into an advanced UPS for a total of 2500 energy. It seems like plutonium energy is somehow more efficient than standard batteries, like those 2500 plutonium energy points can be used for more than 2500 standard UPS points

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cool! Hope I can find some cells when I get into my first lab

Also one weird trick I learned today is that your headlamp works just as well when you carry it in your pocket and activate it there instead of having it on your head. Was getting annoyed that it always took damage while I'm fighting and figured this out on accident

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Tin Tim posted:

Cool! Hope I can find some cells when I get into my first lab

Also one weird trick I learned today is that your headlamp works just as well when you carry it in your pocket and activate it there instead of having it on your head. Was getting annoyed that it always took damage while I'm fighting and figured this out on accident

No lab needed, you can loot them from atomic cars and eyebots if you take apart their reactor

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

No lab needed, you can loot them from atomic cars and eyebots if you take apart their reactor
Dang I should have collected more of the eyebots I shot down :v: I'm kinda scared of taking radioactive stuff apart though since I'm not sure what things passively give of radiation while you handle them/have them around in your storage.

Also, is there an alternative for pain treatment other than aspirin if you have addictive personality? All the other drugs I found say that they're very addictive so I'm not looking to take them until it's my last resort

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Dang I should have collected more of the eyebots I shot down :v: I'm kinda scared of taking radioactive stuff apart though since I'm not sure what things passively give of radiation while you handle them/have them around in your storage.

Also, is there an alternative for pain treatment other than aspirin if you have addictive personality? All the other drugs I found say that they're very addictive so I'm not looking to take them until it's my last resort

As long as you aren't slamming the same drug three times a day it'll probably be fine even with addictive personality, if you hit the sort of pain thresholds where you'd need the hard stuff you should probably be limping off somewhere to heal anyway. If you do need to keep the pain down and are real paranoid about it you can mix it up with other pain killers. Start your day off with some morphine and end it with some oxycodone!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Tin Tim posted:

Radiation isn't that bad if you take basic precautions. Examine any minireactors/cells for damage and avoid them if they do. Keep an eye for plutonium slurry; don't go romping around in hazardous waste dumps or atomic craters without protection and you'll be fine.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Radiation isn't that bad if you take basic precautions. Examine any minireactors/cells for damage and avoid them if they do. Keep an eye for plutonium slurry; don't go romping around in hazardous waste dumps or atomic craters without protection and you'll be fine.
Thanks! I kinda knew about leaking from damaged things but wasn't sure if there are items that just flat out give off radiation no matter the condition. I collected most of the eyebots around town and will see about taking them apart once I hunker down for a week or two

Caidin posted:

As long as you aren't slamming the same drug three times a day it'll probably be fine even with addictive personality, if you hit the sort of pain thresholds where you'd need the hard stuff you should probably be limping off somewhere to heal anyway. If you do need to keep the pain down and are real paranoid about it you can mix it up with other pain killers. Start your day off with some morphine and end it with some oxycodone!
Instructions unclear now addicted to heroin :drugnerd:

But yeah I get it now. I figured since the major line of design is slanted towards punishing the player you would be getting slammed with addictions if you take that trait. But if it's not so bad then I can keep a shot of morphine on me for those cool situations where you stumble into a shocker inside a building and can't run away from them before you get hosed up.

gently caress shockers btw

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Addictive Personality and Lightweight are both free points disads that relate to how the game used to be played. Once upon a time drugs would give you stat buffs, and the drug disadvantages made it harder to use them so they mattered, but then I guess that was unrealistic so now the most you can get from extreme levels of caffeination is like +1 speed. Other drugs do literally nothing except making you briefly happy.

Nowadays the only addictive substance you’re likely to take enough of simultaneously to get addicted to is mutagen, which is also an incredibly toothless addiction that just makes you sad for a few days and wastes some time.

Good thing we fixed that! Everyone knows chemicals don’t do anything, that’s why every sports league in the world doesn’t have a list of banned performance enhancers! Even electronic sports!

Realism is the goal!

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 4, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Theres going to be alot of pissed off players when he finally cracks down on the vehicle system I imagine. People have alot of fun with giant death mobiles. Them being removed will cause a ruckus.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dandywalken posted:

Theres going to be alot of pissed off players when he finally cracks down on the vehicle system I imagine. People have alot of fun with giant death mobiles. Them being removed will cause a ruckus.

"If you want to make your own game I suggest you do it. I do not care that you don't like the game we are making because I like the game we are making. The audience for this game is the people making it."

That is the response. If you like this game I suggest backing up a copy of every version you play and like and learn the simple json system to change the things that irk you.

One day a version will come down the pipe that is finally too stupid to play and you will probably want a backup of the last fun version.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BlondRobin posted:

Realism is the goal!

C:DDA is the video game equivalent of the mouse-with-wrist-strap post.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I can't imagine it not forking if they take out vehicle construction. Somebody will step up, right? ... Right?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Arven posted:

I can't imagine it not forking if they take out vehicle construction. Somebody will step up, right? ... Right?

Oh yeah of course there will be a fork that'll be irregularly updated for about six months before everyone working on it gets tired of it and moves on.

That's the thing about these types of games. It takes a very specific type of person to work for free on something this complex and that sort of person is awful. If you want to know what happens to a normal human being when they are exposed to the toxic socially stunted fiefdoms of community development, follow the tale of the deadpeople tileset guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'd like to think removing vehicle construction would be enough to make some people jump ship to a Mad Max roguelike