Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Under 100 million a ready-to-go family-sized single-engine turboprop like a TBM is ideal. About 80% of the performance of a business jet but infinitely more practical.
I really don't see the appeal of the TBM tbh, unless the lower purchase cost really matters (which in a lottery scenario...). The Pilatus is a way more useful airplane (wider, more pax, twice the payload, better takeoff perf, list goes on). All that for 15% more $/h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
TBM cruises faster, no?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

TBM cruises faster, no?
a lil', but even on a private plane cruise is such a minor part of total travel time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The TBM looks cooler. That's enough.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

The TBM looks cooler. That's enough.

Especially if it’s a Grumman TBM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

I really don't see the appeal of the TBM tbh, unless the lower purchase cost really matters (which in a lottery scenario...). The Pilatus is a way more useful airplane (wider, more pax, twice the payload, better takeoff perf, list goes on). All that for 15% more $/h.

The TBM is smaller and sleeker. A Pilatus is starting to get up to that awkward size where you need to use the LARGE AIRCRAFT ONLY parking spaces.

Also 6 seats is minivan-sized, so you can take your whole family around, but without it being 10 seats and thus large enough for everyone you've ever met to ask you to fly their bachelor party to Vegas all the time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The PC-12 is like 15% more money up front, and burns 15-20% more fuel. I suspect that would get even more lopsided if you pulled the TBM back to the same cruise speed as the Pilatus. If you’re rarely going to be filling the seats, which is the case for most owner-operators, the TBM makes a lot of sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The TBM is smaller and sleeker. A Pilatus is starting to get up to that awkward size where you need to use the LARGE AIRCRAFT ONLY parking spaces.

Also 6 seats is minivan-sized, so you can take your whole family around, but without it being 10 seats and thus large enough for everyone you've ever met to ask you to fly their bachelor party to Vegas all the time.

Being rich enough to afford one is called "gently caress you money" for a reason.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

The PC-12 is like 15% more money up front, and burns 15-20% more fuel. I suspect that would get even more lopsided if you pulled the TBM back to the same cruise speed as the Pilatus. If you’re rarely going to be filling the seats, which is the case for most owner-operators, the TBM makes a lot of sense.

Counterpoint: if a 15% difference in operating costs means you can’t afford it, you probably can’t afford either.

But also the PC12 is only about $500 an hour to operate (or at least it was when I was flying them) so it’s not like you’re talking about insane amounts of money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Important consideration: I believe the PC-12, unlike the TBM, may be equipped with a lavatory.

EDIT: I was incorrect, new TBMs do have an option for a serviceable emergency lav.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 31, 2020

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

Important consideration: I believe the PC-12, unlike the TBM, may be equipped with a lavatory.

Jesus, take the yoke

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Yes, not much of one, but yes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are they the ones that are just underneath a seat cushion?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Everyone knows the coolest turboprop business plane was the Starship. I give the Avanti points for trying.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Charles posted:

someone post The Story

you know the one

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Charles posted:

No its between the cockpit and the cabin, there’s a little door that unfolds like a big origami thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Yes, not much of one, but yes.

This is pretty amazing tbh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azs1vKJyxgc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The HondaJet's bathroom is also pretty hilarious.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

someone post The Story

you know the one

quote:

Without a manuscript and having never written a book, this story was enough to get me a six-figure book deal.

https://medium.com/@JohnLeFevre/the-roadshow-aka-the-worst-private-plane-trip-of-all-time-3eb88ab42b18

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The HondaJet's bathroom is also pretty hilarious.

Are they still making those?

I'm trying to make a list of industrial conglomerates eager for new* ideas in aerospace

*I mean not new in my case, but have they considered airships before

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Are they still making those?

To my knowledge, yes. They're even developing a HondaJet ~Elite~.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well did he seal the deal or not?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To my knowledge, yes. They're even developing a HondaJet ~Elite~.

To blatantly steal from wikipedia:

quote:

HondaJet Elite
After the jet was certified in December 2015, Honda engineers started to work on the improved HondaJet Elite, with an expanded performance envelope, improved interior and updated flight deck. Range is increased by 214 to 1,437 nmi (396 to 2,661 km) with an auxiliary fuel tank and aerodynamic improvements. The horizontal stabilizer tips are extended slightly and hinge gaps tightened up, allowing energized flow over the stabilizer without its vortex generators. The type certificate was amended by the FAA on 2 May 2018, and soon followed by EASA.[46]

In May 2018, 30 months after the introduction, the $5.2 million (as of 2018) HondaJet Elite was revealed before delivery began in August. Its elevator authority is increased to reduce its takeoff roll by 400 ft (120 m), reducing the Cessna Citation M2's range and take-off advantages. A new engine inlet reduces vibration and cabin noise, the lavatory receives a belted seat allowing a fifth passenger even with a galley and the Garmin G3000-based flight deck gets computed take-off distance and stability/angle of attack protection.[47]

Its payload is increased by over 200 lb (91 kg): 107 pounds (49 kg) from the empty weight reduction and 100 pounds (45 kg) from an increased maximum takeoff weight while 16 US gal (61 l) more of fuel tank fill unused space in the aft fuselage.[48] Honda began deliveries on August 7, 2018.[49] The upgrades are retrofitable for $250,000, including software updates and a 45 kg (100 lb) MTOW increase and take-off run reduction by 135 m (443 ft) to 1,064m thanks to a few inches span extension of the horizontal tailplane, removal of wing fences and vortex generators.[50] At a weight of 9,500 lb (4,300 kg) and ISA+3 °C, the HondaJet Elite cruises at Mach 0.676 or 390 kn (720 km/h) TAS, while burning 570 lb (260 kg) per hour, better than book predictions.[51]

In 2020, EASA certified HondaJet Elite for steep approaches (descent angles of up to 5.5°), and for up to 8 occupants.[52]

Thats on paper faster than a TBM. Rate of climb problem?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol the Honda jet only does 0.67, I didn’t know that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

lol the Honda jet only does 0.67, I didn’t know that

Honda really wants you to compare it only to turboprops for a reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean it also costs about as much as a fast turboprop ($4.5 million new) and I'm too lazy to look it up but I bet it burns a similar amount of fuel, adjusting for cruise speed.

If you can afford a G650 ($60 million) you aren't cross-shopping HondaJets or TBMs or Pilatii.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the hondajet looks neat. i used to see them loving about with them all the time at PTI. that's all i know about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Honda really wants you to compare it only to turboprops for a reason.

Except you can supposedly take a HondaJet up to FL430.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except you can supposedly take a HondaJet up to FL430.

And you can supposedly take a CRJ FL410.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Broke: 410 Club

Woke: 430 Club

e: f;b

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

From flying magazine: https://www.flyingmag.com/we-fly-honda-aircraft-ha-420/

quote:

Climbing through FL 400, it became evident that we were getting close to the maximum altitude as our rate of climb had decayed to between 100 and 500 fpm, and the gap between barber poles on the speed tape indicating the maximum speed and stall had emerged. But we made it all the way to FL 430 in about 32 minutes despite several ATC-assigned level offs. At no time did the engines complain about the stress of the lengthy high-performance climb. Frazier claimed an unrestricted climb would have allowed us to reach FL 430 in 26 minutes, a number that appears plausible.

I mean, for $5mil thats not half bad at all?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

"We're gonna hit houses, dude." :smith:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can confirm that Honda’s go to 430 pretty regularly. They’re speed bumps, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Can confirm that Honda’s go to 430 pretty regularly. They’re speed bumps, though.

Can they do 0.67 up there?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The best statement I ever heard about the crj 200 was from a friend of mine who flew them who said "the only way I can make it to 410 is if I got dropped out of a much larger airplane at 450."

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 1, 2020

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I was incorrect, new TBMs do have an option for a serviceable emergency lav.

You just know pilots like Jerry have set auto pilot and just walked away from the controls to take a dump while flying solo in these things.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

shame on an IGA posted:

What about a Be-200 and $65,000,000 of spare engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ-Iw_6tW40

Hell yes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Where are you supposed to wash your hands after dropping a duece in one of those?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rscott posted:

Where are you supposed to wash your hands after dropping a duece in one of those?

Bottle of hand sanitizer is usually the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sounds like a birdstrike on takeoff is what likely caused the snowbird tutor to go down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/snowbird-crash-report-1.5593259