Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Come join us when weird Disney World playoff basketball is happening and find out. Also I’ve never heard anyone call Harden dirty. His game is based on drawing fouls, not committing them.

they're referring to him not washing or cleaning his beard in attempt to keep defenders away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lid posted:

is anyone going to sign Boggie now that he's been waived?

also i have never watched a basketball game in my lfie and somehow in this pandemic ended up on youtube videos on drafting and subsequently discovered that Steve Nash shouldn't have won his second MVP, and some say his first, that James Harden is breaking every record in the game and will never get another MVP because hes the dirtiest player since Bill Lambier, that Kawhi Leonard was literally nothing what i expected from that name, and that Derrick Rose will go down in history as the biggest what if in NBA history in that before the injuries he could've been on path to a GOAT career.

I'm not sure if the game is any good though.

I think you've basically got it.

And Harden is cheap, not dirty. Well, his jersey is retired in strip clubs so I dunno. Maybe dirty.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And is Giannis the greatest thing since sliced bread or is it a huge breakout single season that people are praying will lead the NBA into the future as LeBron career winds down and they are desperate to not have a period again of no face of the NBA?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It is definitely not a single season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Giannis is for real but Zion is already significantly more popular. Assuming he stays healthy he's probably next

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

calling derrick rose a possible goat candidate smh. fraud rear end mvp, got it for being a worse version of his current bench gunner self

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
derrick rose was not even the best player the year he won mvp much less on a GOAT path

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

morestuff posted:

Giannis is for real but Zion is already significantly more popular. Assuming he stays healthy he's probably next

I saw Zion in the youtube void and my extreme casual youtube take is him, Hiannis and Luka Doncic have a potential to be the 2020s Jordan, Barkley and Larry Bird

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lid posted:

also i have never watched a basketball game in my lfie and somehow in this pandemic ended up on youtube videos on drafting and subsequently discovered that Steve Nash shouldn't have won his second MVP, and some say his first, that James Harden is breaking every record in the game and will never get another MVP because hes the dirtiest player since Bill Lambier, that Kawhi Leonard was literally nothing what i expected from that name, and that Derrick Rose will go down in history as the biggest what if in NBA history in that before the injuries he could've been on path to a GOAT career.

Dirk and KG were both better than Nash in each of his MVP seasons.
Harden is breaking some records, but Wilt Chamberlain holds all the cool important ones.
Kawhi is a cool dude.
Bill Walton is the biggest what if in NBA history, he could've ended up a top ten all-time player. Rose was very good but never at that level.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Derrick rose isn't even the biggest what if for the bulls in the last decade. What if cam Payne's foot healed correctly

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MourningView posted:

derrick rose was not even the best player the year he won mvp much less on a GOAT path

Blame the youtube hole i didnt even know who he was other than youngest mvp ever and then a bulls team people wanted LeBron on before he joined Miami

I have no horses in this race so tell me about why Derrick wasnt the mvp that year i genuinely know poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lid posted:

And is Giannis the greatest thing since sliced bread or is it a huge breakout single season that people are praying will lead the NBA into the future as LeBron career winds down and they are desperate to not have a period again of no face of the NBA?

Giannis is very legit. Dunno about being a next Lebron or whatever (that means a career at this level and avoiding injuries is really, really, really hard), but he's a huge difference maker on both ends of the floor. They put a very complementary team around him in Milwaukee but I don't know any player that could turn that cast into a ~60 win team right now. Historically the number of guys who could do that is pretty thin.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lid posted:

Blame the youtube hole i didnt even know who he was other than youngest mvp ever and then a bulls team people wanted LeBron on before he joined Miami

I have no horses in this race so tell me about why Derrick wasnt the mvp that year i genuinely know poo poo

People were mad at LeBron for leaving the Cavaliers for the Heat. Also the Bulls were the best team in basketball and Rose was their best player

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

Derrick rose isn't even the biggest what if for the bulls in the last decade. What if cam Payne's foot healed correctly

What if Paul Zipser had normal bones

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

What if Paul Zipser had normal bones

What if hoiberg chose the right movie

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lid posted:

Giannis was a top fifteen player two years ago, the deserved MVP last year and has gone up another level this year. He's legit. The best defensive player in the league whilst also in the top five or six offensively, it's a scary combination.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What if the bulls didn't teach their players to lock their knees during leg workouts

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lid posted:

There was a lot of narrative against Lebron (who was better, though that first Miami year was rougher than people remember during the regular season), and Dwight Howard really was the best player that season. Rose was the driving engine on a 60 win team that had no other super star (Sorry Booze) so I don't think it's as egregious a pick as other people did, but narrative really helped that MVP case.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lockback posted:

There was a lot of narrative against Lebron (who was better, though that first Miami year was rougher than people remember during the regular season), and Dwight Howard really was the best player that season. Rose was the driving engine on a 60 win team that had no other super star (Sorry Booze) so I don't think it's as egregious a pick as other people did, but narrative really helped that MVP case.

Thanks for spelling it out

As an additional am i right in that narrative is also why James Harden wont get another MVP despite the numbers due to cheap reputation and lovely personality, and from what i saw spending literally years complaining that he isnt MVP every year (in the note he seems to always be in the top three) and in the long run will never be in the greatest ever discussion.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He won't get MVP this year because Giannis was better. He won't be in the GOAT conversation because he's 30 and has never won a ring.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lid posted:

As an additional am i right in that narrative is also why James Harden wont get another MVP despite the numbers due to cheap reputation and lovely personality, and from what i saw spending literally years complaining that he isnt MVP every year (in the note he seems to always be in the top three) and in the long run will never be in the greatest ever discussion.

You seem to have picked up some weird ideas about harden.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

dokmo posted:

You seem to have picked up some weird ideas about harden.

Sorry

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Harden just wasn't good enough to win mvp the years he got 2nd place it really is that simple

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Metapod posted:

What if they landed a fourth alpha?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The reason why people don't like Harden isn't because he's dirty, it's because his style of play makes Rockets games unwatchable for a lot of people.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't sweat it, its cool to be engaged and the NBA has a lot going on.

I think you're right that on the face Harden puts up ridiculous numbers but doesn't seem to get the same fanfare you'd expect. Some of it is Giannis is ludicrous, and some of it is Houston just hasn't put up the Wins/Playoff success you'd expect if Harden was the best player in the league.

Some of it may not be warranted, but some is. In the playoffs refs tend to call shooting fouls a bit less often, which really hurts him. Houston has kinda disappointed a lot and I think its fair to put some of that on Harden's shoulders.

Giannis has just been ridiculous though. And Westbrook got an MVP when he averaged a triple double for the first time in a bajillion years, though everyone is sorta past that now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All Grant had to do was not fall in to the obvious trap

https://twitter.com/realchriswebber/status/1267452141448368128

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Katana_Warrior posted:

they're referring to him not washing or cleaning his beard in attempt to keep defenders away

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Harden has finished 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and 1st in MVP voting and will have done pretty good this year. That's about the same as how guys like Shaq, Kobe and Duncan did voting wise for their best years, and he's still got good years ahead of him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bulls hired Adam Amin, likely the last we've heard of Neil Funk.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Now replace Stacey King

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

Now replace Stacey King

how dare you

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bulls hired Adam Amin, likely the last we've heard of Neil Funk.

Wow how did they score him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the biggest thing holding Harden back as far as MVPs is just that Giannis is a better overall player it's not really a narrative thing. He had gotten a ton of love from MVP voters since he got to Houston but only one guy can win. The only year where you can really make an argument that he might have gotten a bit screwed is the Westbrook one when everyone got caught up in the triple double thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lid posted:

The middle of summer is about the earliest Cousins can return physically from his injury although at this rate the season will probably be restarting about then, if they allow teams to pick people up before then who knows. If 30% of the league doesn't want to play they might have to do this.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
By virtue of being in MVP debates against both Westbrook and Giannis, Harden has built an unholy alliance of efficiency worshippers and Walking Bucket 😤 fetishizers who believe he is not properly appreciated. Pay them no mind

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There's a lot of interesting detail in here even if it doesn't have much actual news

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1267514138747711489?s=20

— Some owners are still pushing for all 30 teams to play, specifically the Hawks, 76ers, Thunder and Phoenix
— Teams that aren't participating in the relaunched season might negotiate some kind of summer training camp with the NBPA
— Details of the play-in tournament are hazy right now and there's pushback on a clean single-elimination thing
— "The financial elements of the plan are significant for the league too --- with the 22-team format worth several hundred million dollars more in revenue than 16-team straight-to-playoffs plan would, sources said."

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

— Some owners are still pushing for all 30 teams to play, specifically the Hawks, 76ers, Thunder and Phoenix

The Thunder franchise is 100% dedicated to letting the world see what a bum rear end team the Warriors are and, hell, I'm with them

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Clay needs the full tv check i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Countdown to metapod 180