Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lamont posted:

Can I skip the first one?

I did. The film helps bring you up to enough speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lamont posted:

Can I skip the first one?

Aliens invade, that's all you need to know. The second film shows enough for you to understand what's going on.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I actually thought the first one wasn't that bad, but there's really no reason to watch it if you only want alien vs machete action.

edit: Thinking about it, it's sad that basically everyone who will watch this movie will know about the Raid connection. It's definitely set up to be a huge surprise when it finally, and very randomly, happens.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 29, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I really like Frank grillo and sci-fi movies but hadn't ever heard of it , but yeah I got halfway in (switched to watching protests) and there's no reason to think it's anything but all Grillo the whole time. I guess the credits give away the big names early though

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUi6fQRUP1o

Whatever this is I need it in my body right now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUi6fQRUP1o

Whatever this is I need it in my body right now.

Looks better than the last Russian superhero movie I saw. Guardians was interesting but kind of too absurd for my taste.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Action Movie Fan Streaming Alert, June 2020

Amazon Prime: The Raid
Tubi: The Raid, The Raid 2, Never Back Down 3
Netflix: The Last Days of American Crime, Lost Bullet
Hulu: Equilibrium, Out of Sight
HBO: Cradle 2 the Grave, Enter the Dragon
Roku: Parker, Shoot 'Em Up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I see that several Cynthia Rothrock action flicks are on Prime. Is any of her stuff worth checking out? I've seen her on a few action movie documentaries and I've always been curious if they were actually any good.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I see that several Cynthia Rothrock action flicks are on Prime. Is any of her stuff worth checking out? I've seen her on a few action movie documentaries and I've always been curious if they were actually any good.

The only one I've seen that's on Prime is Millionaires Express (Shanghai Express), and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztk99MPOzk

Definitely check out Yes, Madam and Righting Wrongs if you can track them down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boco_T posted:

Action Movie Fan Streaming Alert, June 2020

Amazon Prime: The Raid
Tubi: The Raid, The Raid 2, Never Back Down 3
Netflix: The Last Days of American Crime, Lost Bullet
Hulu: Equilibrium, Out of Sight
HBO: Cradle 2 the Grave, Enter the Dragon
Roku: Parker, Shoot 'Em Up

I have literally never seen either of the Raid movies. If they're on Tubi ... time to change that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I have literally never seen either of the Raid movies. If they're on Tubi ... time to change that.

Ohhhhh please report back! Rare these days to get to hear someone's first thoughts on experiencing The Raid.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Basebf555 posted:

Even though she kicks all kinds of rear end, most of the American films she's in (or the ones I've seen) are typical 80s/90s cheesy straight to video action flicks (Michael Dudikoff type stuff). Nothing particularly memorable.

She was support in a few Hong Kong films before that before she was the lead in US ones. I've only seen fights from those... the Sammo one linked above probably the best example (Also damnnnn, that smash from Sammo at 1:35! Is that her or a double?)

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 1, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

Even though she kicks all kinds of rear end, most of the American films she's in (or the ones I've seen) are typical 80s/90s cheesy straight to video action flicks (Michael Dudikoff type stuff). Nothing particularly memorable.

She was support in a few Hong Kong films before that before she was the lead in US ones. I've only seen fights from those... the Sammo one linked above probably the best example.

Oh yea I definitely get that. I'm going in expecting 80's/early 90s DTV schlock but there's different levels of that stuff. From what I've heard Rothrock's are pretty good all things considered.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There's lots of bits to like in Rothrock's stuff, but you also won't be missing much if you liberally fast-forward through much of their rote nonsense.

But yeah, as you say that's just how 80/90s DTV things were.

Gravy Jones posted:

(Also damnnnn, that smash from Sammo at 1:35! Is that her or a double?)

That's her, with an rear end-load of padding, preparation/practice, maybe a rubberised floor, but still... :stonk:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 1, 2020

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
On a martial arts related note can someone ID this half-remembered Jackie Chan film/scene for me?

He's in some kind of warehouse, or possibly a dock or something, lots of boxes. He's on foot being chased by cars has to jump up and grab a bar over his head and either do the splits or swing around the bar or something to dodge a car that passes beneath him. It wasn't one of his flashiest stunts but always stuck with me in a "gently caress that one up and you're dead" way, but haven't seen it in decades and can't remember what film it's in. I keep thinking Wheel on Meals but that mught just be because it had cars in it. Pretty sure it's from the Sammo/Biao comedy era though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gravy Jones posted:

On a martial arts related note can someone ID this half-remembered Jackie Chan film/scene for me?

He's in some kind of warehouse, or possibly a dock or something, lots of boxes. He's on foot being chased by cars has to jump up and grab a bar over his head and either do the splits or swing around the bar or something to dodge a car that passes beneath him. It wasn't one of his flashiest stunts but always stuck with me in a "gently caress that one up and you're dead" way, but haven't seen it in decades and can't remember what film it's in. I keep thinking Wheel on Meals but that mught just be because it had cars in it. Pretty sure it's from the Sammo/Biao comedy era though.

I remember this scene as well and it owns. It's absolutely from the 80s but I thought it was Armour of God and it appears to, in fact, not be from that movie. Hmmmph.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You're probably thinking of this scene from Armour of God 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tA-9m3j7_Q

edit: skip to 2:30 if you don't want to see jackie chan doing cool stuff on a bike

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's it!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

married but discreet posted:

It's loving amazing, no joke. It goes exactly where you would want an alien invasion movie with the crew from The Raid to go. I was hooting and hollering to myself all throughout the ending.

Interesting....because the first one was basically trash. Lol....it's 16% on Rotten Tomatoes. One of the "fresh" reviews snippets says "You'll be glad when it ends.....!" and rated it 1 out of 5. Whoops.

I have the second in my instant queue however.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 1, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrBling posted:

edit: skip to 2:30 if you don't want to see jackie chan doing cool stuff on a bike

Who the hell wouldn't want to see that??

That reminds me how I always loved Chan's insane car chases. The ramp jump in My Lucky Stars, the shanty town demolition in Police Story, the hovercraft and car garage scenes in Rumble in the Bronx (the latter not exactly a car chase but a chase involving cars, including two of the most harrowing I-can't-believe-that's-not-a-stunt-double stunts I've ever seen). Mad respect to Jackie's obsession for pushing the envelope bleeding over to vehicular action.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Someone mentioned Shanghai/Millionaire's Express and here I am. Cynthia Rothrock's best work (only Yes Madam even comes close), shoehorned into an insane action comedy spectacle. It's like a kung Fu version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World... Yuen Biao flying all over the place, Sammo Hung doing his thing holding it all together, a tiny Wong Fei-Hung, Yukari Oshima even shows up to kick some butt!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MrBling posted:

That gag with the goggles to start the scene is such a fun detail. :allears:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Interesting....because the first one was basically trash. Lol....it's 16% on Rotten Tomatoes. One of the "fresh" reviews snippets says "You'll be glad when it ends.....!" and rated it 1 out of 5. Whoops.

I have the second in my instant queue however.

the first Skyline is... not good, but it's not that much of a trainwreck. it's more or less what you'd expect from a few VFX guys doing a very low-budget alien invasion movie, that manages to punch slightly above its weight in the effects. i don't really plan on ever revisiting it but i kind of have to respect the fact that it exists at all, because it's a weirdo passion project of a type you very rarely see in theaters.

the second one is... it's one of those The Purge -> The Purge: Anarchy kind of sequel improvements, where it's almost a complete retool of the premise, has a noticeably higher budget, and actually tries to do interesting things beyond just establishing the world. interestingly, both Beyond Skyline and The Purge: Anarchy have Frank Grillo in them, too.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Frank Grillo is one of those Scott Adkins types who's a soft-spoken, real-hard worker who I'm constantly shocked to see gets zero recognition for repeatedly carrying entire films.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the first Skyline is... not good, but it's not that much of a trainwreck. it's more or less what you'd expect from a few VFX guys doing a very low-budget alien invasion movie, that manages to punch slightly above its weight in the effects. i don't really plan on ever revisiting it but i kind of have to respect the fact that it exists at all, because it's a weirdo passion project of a type you very rarely see in theaters.

the second one is... it's one of those The Purge -> The Purge: Anarchy kind of sequel improvements, where it's almost a complete retool of the premise, has a noticeably higher budget, and actually tries to do interesting things beyond just establishing the world. interestingly, both Beyond Skyline and The Purge: Anarchy have Frank Grillo in them, too.

That's good to know. I put it in my queue because I'm a action sci-fi movie fan....but due to the first one.....who knows if I would have gotten around to watching it. But since it sounds like a noticeable improvement....I'll have to prioritize it.

Looking on IMDB....it looks like a third is in post production too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Frank Grillo is one of those Scott Adkins types who's a soft-spoken, real-hard worker who I'm constantly shocked to see gets zero recognition for repeatedly carrying entire films.

Yeah we love Frank Grillo around my house. Marvel, predictably, completely wasted him.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
For real, Crossbones could have been the next loving Deadpool.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Him screaming Break it!!! Break the leg!!! Was one of the highlights of Warrior

He's also real good in wolf warrior 2

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
If you like Frank Grillo (which you loving should) then you should watch the show Kingdom. Jonathan Tucker is a beast in it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

LesterGroans posted:

If you like Frank Grillo (which you loving should) then you should watch the show Kingdom. Jonathan Tucker is a beast in it.
I'm somehow not familiar Frank Grillo yet but Jonathan Tucker was amazing on Justified so all this stuff comes full circle.

Also, I haven't seen The Raid movies yet so I will also be able to watch them soon and report my findings to this thread. Please don't kick me out of the thread because I watched "Best of the Best 3" before seeing "The Raid"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Whoever said the Raid movies were up on Tubi is a lying liar.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MrBling posted:

Awesome, thanks man, that's the one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Timby posted:

Whoever said the Raid movies were up on Tubi is a lying liar.
I see them here:
1 - https://tubitv.com/movies/528609/the_raid_redemption
2 - https://tubitv.com/movies/528605/the_raid_2

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Whoever gets to watch the two Raid movies for the first time, man I wish I could do that again... What a loving treat both of them are! And if you've seen any modern Hollywood stuff since they were acknowledged by the industry you'll note the fight scenes got a lot better and it's mostly due to these two 'little' films from Indonesia.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Raid is one of the top 5 action movies of the last 20 years so it's definitely worth the rental price, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Just watch it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

poo poo they deserve to be in your blu ray collection because they're not expensive and give them alllllllllllll the bandwidth possible so you get the best possible image to witness the glory.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man Debt Collectors was a ton of fun. Not as dirty as the first one but they went a bit more in the buddy-gangster direction and I think that worked pretty well. Also that They Live fight scene owned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The Raid is one of the top 5 action movies of the last 20 years so it's definitely worth the rental price, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Just watch it.

I luckily got to see both in theaters. Where my local theater somehow only did one showing on release, at 10pm on a Saturday night both times.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
On my way to watching something else on Netflix last night I accidentally watched Kindergarten Cop for the first time since I was a kid. The first 20 minutes contain a really fun Cobra-esque action movie that I really wish had continued instead of going to class. His shotgun has a laser sight ffs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Basebf555 posted:

And the second one is a truly beautifully shot gangland film with some great brooding, moody moments. And more action scenes by the Raid team, plus one of the greatest car chases of all time. And Hammer Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoGCXWf96s