Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Captain Monkey posted:

I’m a Muslim woman named mirna hadid who is very interested in weed gummies and online lotteries.
I'm apparently a dude named Jimmy that has borrowed a lot of money from payday lenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dik Hz posted:

I'm apparently a dude named Jimmy that has borrowed a lot of money from payday lenders.

At one point I was a Bosnian (?) named Senad who owes Peterbuild money for his truck.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm not sure who I am because I don't speak Chinese so I never understand what they're saying.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

For a long time, I was a Real Estate Agent named Sierra.

I got the number after an area code section split into two; I got the number with the old area code, and she kept the same number, but had a new area code. That didn't stop a lot of people from calling me about their mortgages.

One finally explained who they were trying to call, and then I called Sierra myself. She was extremely apologetic, and she must have sent out letters to all of her customers highlighting the new number, as the calls ceased a couple of years ago.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
On the other side of things: for the longest time my phone kept backing up from the cloud, so I had a bajillion numbers saved from high school onward. Really vague names like "john" or "anne's friend kim" that made no sense 5 or 10 years down the line.

So one day I ended up backstage at an aquarium show and thought, hey this is pretty cool, my friend Sarah and I have a running joke about how dolphins are assholes. Took a photo, typed something like "this jerk will totally kill you" and sent it off, thought nothing of it. Fast forward a day later when I realize I sent it to some random person named Sarah I worked with for two months 15 summers ago. Somewhere out there is a very confused woman who received a picture of a dolphin threatening her and has no idea why.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My company has started being bombarded with LinkedIn invites for (mainly) attractive, professional looking young chinese women. The entire profile is in chinese, except the company name (our company) and that they're based in Beijing (we have two offices, both in the UK). Is there something more to it than trying to get a link to our company, so you look more legit for future scams? Like we're the patsy rather than the intended victim?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Qu Appelle posted:

For a long time, I was a Real Estate Agent named Sierra.

For a couple of weeks recently, I was a guy named Gil. Apparently. I am quite the stud because so many women saw my profile (which platform?) and they just had to hook up with me.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I was once a woman named Nadia Frances who was in a lot of debt, and before that a man named Sunni who was on parole.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This new season of Sense8 needs more action.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fruits of the sea posted:

I am a prostitute and my name is Bianca.

oh god my ex posts on SA? (:haw:)

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Wrex Ruckus posted:

oh yeah, I never reply to those. I don't even bother blocking the numbers since it's a different one every time.

I rarely block them, for the same reason. I did block one recently, since it kept calling and I got fed up after the third call in as many minutes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There's apparently a lady in the UK with my last name and the same first and middle initial. She periodically forgets her Gmail doesn't have the middle initial, so I get notified when her car insurance is about to expire or she orders pants from some British store.

At one point a letter showed up at my parents' house addressed to her. It came through the royal mail and contained a no poo poo paper 419 scam. It was so friggin weird my dad kept it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah gmail sucks if you have a firstname.lastname address. I swear maybe 10% of my mail is for me, the rest belongs to a dozen dumbfucks who don’t know their email address.

I even get Facebook notifications, like how the hell does that even happen as surely Fb requires email verification.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wrong number/wrong email chat just reminded me of this fantastic story recently posted over in PYF SA Sagas:

quote:

mines firstname.lastname@gmail and i have the same name except different middle name as a music producer so i pretty regularly get email from wannabes who want me to produce their stuff. if i feel like it, ill ask for some acapellas and make some insane turd for them.

one time, lindsay lohan's people got in contact because they wanted a list of songs we recorded together or something, so i made up some titles. then they were like, wait what are those? could you send htem over? and i was like how can i be sure youre lindsay lohan's people, i cant just send them to anybody!!

so they proved it & then i made some really bad songs with my sister in garage band

they got really pissed at me for wasting their time, the whole email thread was like 2 weeks

emails & songs are here (from back when i was called Snapchat A Titty):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...1#post456016998

songs here:
https://soundcloud.com/blqh/slap-it?in=blqh/sets/lohan

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I'm gettin a 404 on that thread--wait is this the scam??

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

oh god my ex posts on SA? (:haw:)

What a coincidence! Do you also like "girls in leather pants or wet look"? :v:

I have no loving clue what "wet look" is but the dude wanted it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

What a coincidence! Do you also like "girls in leather pants or wet look"? :v:

I have no loving clue what "wet look" is but the dude wanted it

it's just when someone is wet, like they were swimming or got out of the shower or something. it barely registers on the kink scale

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah gmail sucks if you have a firstname.lastname address. I swear maybe 10% of my mail is for me, the rest belongs to a dozen dumbfucks who don’t know their email address.

I even get Facebook notifications, like how the hell does that even happen as surely Fb requires email verification.

There's a girl in Vietnam that has a similar gmail as me. For years, I've been getting her late cable payment notifications, and other critical e-mail. I usually just ignore them, but once I accidentally reset her dropbox account password and another time I started getting her bank account statements. Actually went out of my way to figure out how to get that corrected via google translate. Even after that, she would still use my email by accident!

I eventually got a message that had another email ccd on it that was my email plus a couple digits, so I'm thinking she was just dropping the numbers on some accounts for spam purposes or something.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TheComicFiend posted:

I'm gettin a 404 on that thread--wait is this the scam??

That's weird, it links fine in the original post but I got the same thing from my c/p above.

Try this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3712267&perpage=40&pagenumber=511#post456016998

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
This one works, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Wrong number/wrong email chat just reminded me of this fantastic story recently posted over in PYF SA Sagas:

haha hell yeah

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That's weird, it links fine in the original post but I got the same thing from my c/p above.

Try this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3712267&perpage=40&pagenumber=511#post456016998

Your c/p has the (dot)(dot)(dot) in the URL. :v:

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Try this?

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing. RIP TINDECK!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For 2 weeks, I have been entertained by this mobile email scam, which exactly fits the descriptions on this site. Even the loving flower photo. They sent the rainbow twice and I called them on it. Baka.
Today they said their work phone was getting confiscated, and asked to switch to a shady chat link. Goatse.ru was down but hopefully they'll view it soon.

https://sakuradot.com/article/58660.html

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

someone hijacked my orthodontist's whatsapp account, changed the profile photo to some woman's and asked if i could transfer cash to "her", which i said no to. a few hours later and they sent me the same loving message asking for cash

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What's up with the "property review" texts I've gotten (2 in the last 2 months)? Mortgage scam/scummy advertising?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

peanut posted:

For 2 weeks, I have been entertained by this mobile email scam, which exactly fits the descriptions on this site. Even the loving flower photo. They sent the rainbow twice and I called them on it. Baka.
Today they said their work phone was getting confiscated, and asked to switch to a shady chat link. Goatse.ru was down but hopefully they'll view it soon.

https://sakuradot.com/article/58660.html

Do these people actually respond back?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

What's up with the "property review" texts I've gotten (2 in the last 2 months)? Mortgage scam/scummy advertising?

What are they asking for?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

if it's about property taxes, then they're offering to file for a re-assessment of your property. this is something you can easily do yourself for free. they're hoping you don't know how re-assessment works and they can charge you a fee to file free paperwork with the county or whoever

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Do these people actually respond back?

We sent messages for two weeks. They tell you about their 〜acting lessons〜 and the big role they might get! When they mentioned dead parents and one sister I lolled irl.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got my first ever group spam texting scam. Looked to be from some kind of car place.

loving sucked. My phone just blew up for about 3 hours with people texting "gently caress you, stop, gtfo rear end in a top hat" etc. to the group instead of just not replying.

That was a new one. Phone was blowing up so bad I thought my ex wife had another bone to pick with me or there was some emergency with my son but I was driving and couldn't check right away.

Wtf would anyone reply?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BiggerBoat posted:

Wtf would anyone reply?

Why the gently caress does this thread even need to exist? People are idiots.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Wtf would anyone reply?

Same reason they reply all to email.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Re: Re: Re: STOP REPLYING TO THIS EMAIL
Seriously stop!

Re: Re: Re: Re: STOP REPLYING TO THIS EMAIL
Okay.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

On the other side of things: for the longest time my phone kept backing up from the cloud, so I had a bajillion numbers saved from high school onward. Really vague names like "john" or "anne's friend kim" that made no sense 5 or 10 years down the line.

So one day I ended up backstage at an aquarium show and thought, hey this is pretty cool, my friend Sarah and I have a running joke about how dolphins are assholes. Took a photo, typed something like "this jerk will totally kill you" and sent it off, thought nothing of it. Fast forward a day later when I realize I sent it to some random person named Sarah I worked with for two months 15 summers ago. Somewhere out there is a very confused woman who received a picture of a dolphin threatening her and has no idea why.

I did this once after a date with a girl also named Sarah, accidentally texted another girl I hadn't talked to in forever and was really confused why my date didn't text back after an alright time.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Wtf would anyone reply?

if you don't reply they get the last word, which means they win

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Where's the pork, Walton? WE WANTS THE loving PORK, WALTON.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You're a bacon lover, eh? Well they say absence makes the heart grow fonder...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So my mother in law was saying someone contacted her through her business number, saying they had been withdrawing money from their bank account and they wanted it back. According to them, their bank gave them her company name and number. Which sounds absurd to me. And then a little later someone else called with the exact same story. A bunch of other red flags such as asking to be contacted back on different numbers to the one they called on, and to speak to a different person than was calling etc.

Anyone know anything about this? She didn’t pick up on it being a possible scam, but promptly told them where to go regardless.

It’s possible the people calling are victims of a scam themselves, and are being misled into calling her. These things always go deep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Like other scams i've heard of, they could also be ruling out victims that DO check their accounts and are on top of fraudalent transactions?