Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

exquisite tea posted:

It's deeply amusing to me that Mortal loving Kombat lore has somehow become so complex and convoluted that every new story chapter in MK11 has to begin with Raiden or Shang Tsung expositing exactly what is happening.
The MK lore has been a giant mess for decades, they just didn't really get into it until the story modes became a thing. Hell, the whole point of the MK9 story mode was to reboot the continuity because it had gotten too stupid and convoluted.

Somewhere, Ed Boon's holding an amulet that becomes more and more cracked every time new MK story content is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

All that group kombat in Aftermath's cutscenes made me wish for a kollab with Rocksteady :sigh:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
And in some real hosed up way it seems like Sindel and Shao Kahn really do love each other which is also pretty nice in a game full of people trying to tear other people in half.

I mean, they both rip and tear too, but I could see them making a date night out of it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

moosecow333 posted:

And in some real hosed up way it seems like Sindel and Shao Kahn really do love each other which is also pretty nice in a game full of people trying to tear other people in half.

I mean, they both rip and tear too, but I could see them making a date night out of it.

I don't know if it had come up in earlier lore but Sindel's Mk11 ending showed that she'd actually planned the whole thing and killed her first husband.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MARITAL KOMBAAAAAT

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

LIU KANG WINS - MATRIMONY

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't know if it had come up in earlier lore but Sindel's Mk11 ending showed that she'd actually planned the whole thing and killed her first husband.

this was a retcon with mk11, before all the stuff about sindel being a good person who got mind controlled into being evil that comes up in aftermath's story was actually true. fortunately they realized that that + being shao khan's wife gets into real rape-y implications. so they changed it so she was always evil and is a willing participant in shao khan's plans, which is both less gross on that level and also actively more fun of a character if she actually is the power-hungry sadistic lady the games present her as

of course since this was a retcon there were immediately youtube nerds making videos about how mk11 RUINED sindel by catering to the SJWs, because changes are always inherently worse than what came before

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

of course since this was a retcon there were immediately youtube nerds making videos about how mk11 RUINED sindel by catering to the SJWs, because changes are always inherently worse than what came before

I love how NRS consistently doesn’t care about that kind of stuff. When they updated the costume design to get rid of the whole “titty ninja” thing a bunch of Twitter nerds got mad (one even complained about NRS trying to kill off “boner culture”) and Ed Boon’s response was basically “lol, deal with it, nerds”. For a studio that was basically founded on being edgy as all hell they’re actually pretty progressive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love how NRS consistently doesn’t care about that kind of stuff. When they updated the costume design to get rid of the whole “titty ninja” thing a bunch of Twitter nerds got mad (one even complained about NRS trying to kill off “boner culture”) and Ed Boon’s response was basically “lol, deal with it, nerds”. For a studio that was basically founded on being edgy as all hell they’re actually pretty progressive.

They also had an openly gay character in MKX, and the only character who made any derogatory comments about it was an rear end in a top hat to everyone in general.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The original MK costume designs were also quite practical because, well, they kinda had to be because real people would have to wear them while jumping around and performing martial arts moves. The designs really started getting out of hand when the PS2 MK games rolled around.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I revisited Shovel Knight recently and I'm still in awe over its music. It's possibly the best soundtrack to any 8-bit style game, and I grew up in the NES era.

Graphics are tremendous, too. Man, they really knocked the aesthetics out of the park.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Eclipse12 posted:

I revisited Shovel Knight recently and I'm still in awe over its music. It's possibly the best soundtrack to any 8-bit style game, and I grew up in the NES era.

Graphics are tremendous, too. Man, they really knocked the aesthetics out of the park.

I unearthed my Wii U so I could softmod it as a pandemic hobby and one of the unexpected boons was being able to play Shovel Knight again. I bought the Wii U version and am too stubborn to buy it again on something I regularly use, but I was able to update it to get all the free dlc before setting it up for GameCube play.

On topic, I’ve been playing a little Legend of Grimrock 2 and I love the map design. Instead of a dungeon that goes down 13 or so floors, the sequel takes place on an island and each, idk, 40x40 tile plot is its own “level”. The plots are connected at the edges and they have a much more varied array of tile sets to keep things fresh. Since they are all on the same altitude they are all shown on the map at one, creating a very pleasing and expanding map of where I’ve explored.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grimrock 2 is insanely good and improves on the original in basically every way, with the environments being the standout. I played through them a month or two ago and had that strong sense of “sad it’s over” at the end that only a few games manage to hit

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I unearthed my Wii U so I could softmod it as a pandemic hobby and one of the unexpected boons was being able to play Shovel Knight again. I bought the Wii U version and am too stubborn to buy it again on something I regularly use, but I was able to update it to get all the free dlc before setting it up for GameCube play.

On topic, I’ve been playing a little Legend of Grimrock 2 and I love the map design. Instead of a dungeon that goes down 13 or so floors, the sequel takes place on an island and each, idk, 40x40 tile plot is its own “level”. The plots are connected at the edges and they have a much more varied array of tile sets to keep things fresh. Since they are all on the same altitude they are all shown on the map at one, creating a very pleasing and expanding map of where I’ve explored.

Ahh man I've bought shovel knight on at least four different platforms. Go on. Treat yourself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I went back to Worlds of Final Fantasy and I like that the game isn't afraid to get serious at times with it's stakes, like with the Eidolon cutscenes at the arena - Because Ifrit and Shiva goofed off gender-swapped alternate versions of them escaped and just the act of escaping has already killed some people as if a summon isn't summoned magically, their method of crossing is far messier. It's basically like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY5ONo8fYE&t=63s

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Massive credit to Sayonara Wild Hearts for having a "you seem to be dying a lot, would you like to skip this bit?" screen with a "Never ask me again" option.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The problem with Grimrock 2, six years after it's release and on a newer SSD, is that the load-times are still complete rear end.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The problem with Grimrock 2, six years after it's release and on a newer SSD, is that the load-times are still complete rear end.

I could never get into those- the fact that I never played the genre games it's based on probobly have something to do with that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing the Xenoblade remake, and drat, this game looks good. I mean, yeah there are games with higher resolutions and poo poo on the big consoles, but this game is just pretty as hell. Plus, I completely forgot the kind of scale it has, especially vertical scale. Looking down at a river flowing something like 200 feet below you and being able to just leap off a bridge and plummet into it makes my stomach lurch at the height of it.

Oh also the new quest location system is exactly what the game needed. Being able to just pinpoint the location of any quest objective on the map instantly is a godsend for this game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For a studio that was basically founded on being edgy as all hell they’re actually pretty progressive.
MK is the weirdest series to be progressive in. Look at our diverse cast where everyone is treated with respect while they get their skulls broken and entrails ripped out in lovingly rendered slo-mo 3D x-ray vision.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

MK is the weirdest series to be progressive in. Look at our diverse cast where everyone is treated with respect while they get their skulls broken and entrails ripped out in lovingly rendered slo-mo 3D x-ray vision.

Wrong perspective; Anyone is capable of breaking bones and crushing skulls in a badass manner, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation! :eng101:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

For a studio that was basically founded on being edgy as all hell they’re actually pretty progressive.

In a world where the status quo is built on hatred, oppression and disenfranchisement, the edgiest thing you can do is treat marginalized people with respect.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The other thread is talking about Mortal Kombat and I'd like to say my favorite little thing in the Mortal Kombat series is that Johnny Cage as seen in the hit 90s movie Mortal Kombat is canon. Kanon.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Red Dead Redemption 2 got a lot of flack for slow animations but I really enjoy all the little touches. Arthur slung a dead animal over his shoulder and it pushed the gun on his back down and out of the way instead of just clipping through like you'd expect from every other game ever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Grimrock 2 is absolutely fantastic and I only recently found out it's a cult classic and wasnt a huge earth shattering success that I thought it was :smith:

A cool think about Grimrock, the runes that mages use all have a specific meaning. Theres a puzzle where a statue continuously casts a spell, and you have to push down buttons matching that spell's rune combination, then it starts shooting another spell. Playing recently, one of the spells I didnt recognize at all, but by (vaguely) remembering what each spell does, I was able to puzzle out the right combo. Grimrock is great at making you feel smart

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leal posted:

The other thread is talking about Mortal Kombat and I'd like to say my favorite little thing in the Mortal Kombat series is that Johnny Cage as seen in the hit 90s movie Mortal Kombat is canon. Kanon.

My favorite is how in the sequel they use those hamster balls to roll around in to get places.

Whybird posted:

In a world where the status quo is built on hatred, oppression and disenfranchisement, the edgiest thing you can do is treat marginalized people with respect.

:hmmyes:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Danaru posted:

Grimrock 2 is absolutely fantastic and I only recently found out it's a cult classic and wasnt a huge earth shattering success that I thought it was :smith:

AFAIK Grimrock 1 sold really well, because it was something new (well, something that hadn't been done in ages) and was released just before Steam's indie game explosion.

But it's a niche genre, so many of those buyers never finished it and had really no reason to buy the sequel. And by then the number of new Steam releases had been multiplied by five.

It's a shame, both games are great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Of course, it'd also be nice if Netherrealm Studios treated their actual employees with respect instead of (allegedly) forcing them to work under awful conditions including horrible crunch during development, sexual harassment, and making their artists look at videos and pictures of real gore until they get loving PTSD.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Jun 2, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Leal posted:

NRS has always had a good attitude about bringing parallel media, spin-offs and fan theories back into the mainline games themselves. It's really helped to expand the lore from what was basically an Enter the Dragon rip-off into its own weird thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Doc M posted:

Of course, it'd also be nice if Netherrealm Studios treated their actual employees with respect instead of (allegedly) forcing them to work under awful conditions including horrible crunch during development, sexual harassment, and making their artists look at videos and pictures of real gore until they get loving PTSD.

I've personally got a theory that they started doing Injustice in part so that they can do development cycles that don't require them to meticulously render a detailed animation of someone's skull getting pulled apart.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Another little thing in Grimrock 2 I just remembered, theres a trident-like weapon you can find which is the same weapon the fish people use. It's a decent light weapon that can hit enemies from the back row, but what the game never tells you is that you can use the weapon underwater. Normally you cant use any weapons, items, or magic.

I was getting attacked by a bunch of fishmen while drowning and some part of my brain subconsciously made the connection. It was so intuitive I didnt even realize what I discovered until after the fight

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cleretic posted:

I've personally got a theory that they started doing Injustice in part so that they can do development cycles that don't require them to meticulously render a detailed animation of someone's skull getting pulled apart.
The human cost of these kind of animations is honestly unconscionable.

quote:

“You’d walk around the office and one guy would be watching hangings on YouTube, another guy would be looking at pictures of murder victims, someone else would be watching a video of a cow being slaughtered,” they said. “The scary part was always the point at which new people on the project got used to it. And I definitely hit that point.”
https://kotaku.com/id-have-these-extremely-graphic-dreams-what-its-like-t-1834611691

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I also saw that Jimquisition, and Jesus what the gently caress is wrong with people

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I was at lunch with some game dev coworkers one day and in the course of conversation one guy mentioned that he was a fan of My Little Pony. I started to give him a bit of a ribbing (I mean, none of us could be particularly vicious because we all have some cartoons we like and we were working on a kids' game at the time) but then he explained that he got into it when he was working on Battlefield 5 and he needed something bright and completely positive and friendly to help him get over days where he'd spend eight hours watching footage of AC-130s blowing human bodies into pieces and I was like...oh...

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't played Battlefield 5, but did it have dismemberment or people exploding? Was him having to research that necessary?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Detective Buttfuck posted:

I haven't played Battlefield 5, but did it have dismemberment or people exploding? Was him having to research that necessary?

I haven't played it either but I'm guessing it was stuff like those "iconic" aerial videos of people getting gunned down that one of the earlier CoDs popularized, and he had to study them for reference to make sure everything felt just right when you shoot people from an aircraft. They were probably from far enough away that it all felt very sterile and impersonal, but he probably watched a couple hundred people die in explosions over the course of some days.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Triarii posted:

I was at lunch with some game dev coworkers one day and in the course of conversation one guy mentioned that he was a fan of My Little Pony. I started to give him a bit of a ribbing (I mean, none of us could be particularly vicious because we all have some cartoons we like and we were working on a kids' game at the time) but then he explained that he got into it when he was working on Battlefield 5 and he needed something bright and completely positive and friendly to help him get over days where he'd spend eight hours watching footage of AC-130s blowing human bodies into pieces and I was like...oh...

Why is he watching ac-130 footage if battlefield 5 is set in World war II? Also I don't think it did have dismemberment. This dude was just watching my little pony/ac130 montages on company time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

He worked on a bunch of Battlefields and I haven't played any since the very first one, so I might've gotten the game wrong. But the My Little Pony-watching was on his own time, after work.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I guess what I meant to say is that guy's full of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He needs to watch MLP to accurately detail 4k horse vulva for his skyrim mod.