Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I worked with cops for 8 years and can say without a doubt probably 80% of them are assholes (men and women!) that were beat up in high school and are on a power trip to get revenge or are just bitter miserable people that hate life and want others to hate it too.

A few of them were legit good guys, and boy was I happy when those guys showed up instead of the assholes.

Can confirm. 9 years in the bar industry, only met a handful of good cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

"Peace, quiet and good order will be maintained in our city
To the best of our ability. Riots, melees and disturbances
Of the peace are against the interests of all our people; and
Therefore cannot be permitted."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The poo poo leaking out of the MPD is insane. It sounds like the cops are planning a bloody coup.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Black Lives Matter
Native Lives Matter

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rhyno posted:

The poo poo leaking out of the MPD is insane. It sounds like the cops are planning a bloody coup.

Do you have any further info? That sounds juicy as hell

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

taqueso posted:

Do you have any further info? That sounds juicy as hell

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

taqueso posted:

Black Lives Matter
Native Lives Matter

Nine Lives Matter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

gently caress bob kroll

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Kyle Kinane’s description of the average cop:

“Hey man, why’d you become a cop?

Oh, I was bullied in school so I repressed that anger and now I get to take it out on society with the protection of a badge!”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress bob kroll

Seriously. Dude just wants to murder every single person who even ponders protesting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's not just a policing issue, it's larger than that.

Boots Riley on Chris Dorner (LAPD cop that got tired of the bullshit and killed a few cops himself):

A quick thought about Chris Dorner:

We should remember that Dorner was a cop, first and foremost. He didn't like police brutality, but police brutality is only a small part of the problem with police. A well-oiled, non-corrupt police force without police brutality is still a menace to the working class, especially for communities of color.

I don't care if they give you a massage and a spa treatment before they take you to jail- they're job is to lock folks up who are actually trying to hustle to survive. Under capitalism, there MUST be unemployment. If there was no unemployment, the system wouldn't work because everyone would be able to demand higher wages.

A certain amount of unemployed and employed folks have to be involved in illegal economies just to survive. Illegal economies require physical force- violence- to regulate them, as there is no other recourse.

This means the police's target for imprisonment is foretold by the system.

Many folks'- "progressive" and "conservative"- narrative of "crime" and violence in the Black community is one that favors individual blame of the folks involved. This is because the idea of changing the system requires building a radical, militant mass movement, so folks ignore the real answer and try to come up with psychological and cultural reasoning for it.

If cops actually wanted to fight "crime" as they see it- dope dealing, murders, etc., they would not be a cop and they would build a movement to take down capitalism and replace it with one where the people democratically control the wealth that they create with their labor.

The choice of becoming a cop means that you have decided that there is no problem with capitalism, and the source of violence and "crime" is the individual on the street.

That viewpoint is something that is pushed by almost every TV show, movie, and comic book that most of us have seen. So it's not shocking that many would have this viewpoint. (It's also the reason that Dorner's actions were accepted in some circles- he's a cop- like all our comic book heroes. Hell, even Tarantino's Django was a cop.)

It's just not true, though. It's a theory that doesn't hold water. The violence on the street is a natural outgrowth of the violence in the boardroom.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nine Lives Matter.
I get that this was a joke, but please don't do this.

Black Lives Matter. Native Lives Matter. All Lives can't Matter until those groups are included, and joking about it before that point is the opposite of respectful. I know we're on SomethingAwful but this merits respect, even here.

meatpimp posted:

It's not just a policing issue, it's larger than that.

Boots Riley on Chris Dorner (LAPD cop that got tired of the bullshit and killed a few cops himself):

A quick thought about Chris Dorner:

We should remember that Dorner was a cop, first and foremost. He didn't like police brutality, but police brutality is only a small part of the problem with police. A well-oiled, non-corrupt police force without police brutality is still a menace to the working class, especially for communities of color.

I don't care if they give you a massage and a spa treatment before they take you to jail- they're job is to lock folks up who are actually trying to hustle to survive. Under capitalism, there MUST be unemployment. If there was no unemployment, the system wouldn't work because everyone would be able to demand higher wages.

A certain amount of unemployed and employed folks have to be involved in illegal economies just to survive. Illegal economies require physical force- violence- to regulate them, as there is no other recourse.

This means the police's target for imprisonment is foretold by the system.

Many folks'- "progressive" and "conservative"- narrative of "crime" and violence in the Black community is one that favors individual blame of the folks involved. This is because the idea of changing the system requires building a radical, militant mass movement, so folks ignore the real answer and try to come up with psychological and cultural reasoning for it.

If cops actually wanted to fight "crime" as they see it- dope dealing, murders, etc., they would not be a cop and they would build a movement to take down capitalism and replace it with one where the people democratically control the wealth that they create with their labor.

The choice of becoming a cop means that you have decided that there is no problem with capitalism, and the source of violence and "crime" is the individual on the street.

That viewpoint is something that is pushed by almost every TV show, movie, and comic book that most of us have seen. So it's not shocking that many would have this viewpoint. (It's also the reason that Dorner's actions were accepted in some circles- he's a cop- like all our comic book heroes. Hell, even Tarantino's Django was a cop.)

It's just not true, though. It's a theory that doesn't hold water. The violence on the street is a natural outgrowth of the violence in the boardroom.
The fact that we don't as a society believe that people should be helped - even the people we don't like, or the people who make mistakes, is a huge part of this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wait, it's June already?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3fiNkgTOU - SpaceX returns the USA to manned space flight

gently caress yeah!
I'm a bit salty that I missed the launch, despite having a calendar reminder set.
Glad to know they got up and gone safely.

fake edit: did they really have to have the orange idiot in the middle?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Had an unexpected moment of emotion with our seven year old daughter Saturday night. She came out of her room while my wife and I were viewing a video of a cop car being set on fire in downtown Salt Lake City. She asked why that was happening. I had to tell her about George Floyd, and the events that happened. I told her that people were upset because this man was killed by a police officer. We told her how upset we were about it. We told her that it was especially difficult because of how the police officer was a white man and George Floyd was a black man. We talked about segregation and history, noting how there were things that her grandparents saw that were so sad to experience and see. I think we were able to distill it down enough for her young mind to understand. She still has some questions and it will take time for her to understand and more than a brief conversation can allow. Having to tell her about how a man died by suffocation over the course of ten minutes while doing everything he was told to do by a police officer and was not a threat of any kind broke my heart. I cried, so did my wife. We ended by telling her how important it is that we only work to build each other up, that we should only show love to one another and that we need to help others to the best of our abilities.

It's tough trying to gently break it to a kid that stuff they've been asked to believe since young - that cops are good people who will protect you, in this case - is more or less a polite lie, like Santa Claus.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fire ze missiles!

Consider that Trump pardoned a literal war criminal - the ROE that our military deals with is not great either and there's some really lovely culture there too.

Your second point is right on though. I would argue that at this point, the very desire to be a cop should be grounds to bar that person from the job. For all the "what about the good cops" bullshit, somehow none of those cops ever seem to be around or willing to act when a bad cop does what they do.

You're not a "good cop" unless you're stopping the bad cops too, "thin blue line" bullshit be damned. They're not the line between us and chaos when *they're* the ones causing the chaos.

Fuckin' fire all of them and start over.

edit: not that it would help all that much given how institutionalized everything is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My old boss posted that a protest is set for 2:30 tomorrow at the open air mall where I used to work. One of my police friends confirms they are aware of this and will not allow most destruction of property so expect to hear about a death toll in Indiana tomorrow.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just found out how to vote absentee this month with no good reason other than "don't want the 'rona"

I suggest y'all do the same.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
heck.. even avoiding the 'Rona. Just Vote.

I could not have said it better myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lf_2JyXocY

edit: avoiding, ignoring..same poo poo, right?

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 1, 2020

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It's a good sign when you put a charger on your car battery and it goes past "maintain", past "charge" and straight to "save", right?

Right? :ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Pipkin is getting a new friend a little more than a week from now. Any guesses? Might be able to guess from some of my old posts and this picture. First right answer gets some cute pictures.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pictured, the world's worst cat.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Is that a yardbird under the other chair?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is Bailey, he's still a kitten, so far he's a really sweet kitty but can be an annoying jerk at times like most cats :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

Pipkin is getting a new friend a little more than a week from now. Any guesses? Might be able to guess from some of my old posts and this picture. First right answer gets some cute pictures.

Sure looks like a parrot cage to me.

Rhyno posted:

My old boss posted that a protest is set for 2:30 tomorrow at the open air mall where I used to work. One of my police friends confirms they are aware of this and will not allow most destruction of property so expect to hear about a death toll in Indiana tomorrow.

Yeah, suddenly the AZ governor decides to actually enforce curfew (as opposed to the COVID stay at home that a number of restaurants blatantly and publicly disregarded) now that a mall and a dealership in Scottsdale suffered property damage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
(Yes I have repeatedthis joke elsewhere)

I found an old report card. My grades were interesting..... I got A, C, A and B

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is that a yardbird under the other chair?

It sure is, two straight months of chasing it off the deck hasn't taught it anything, the cat is not helping. A few minutes after I took that picture a Perigrine Falcon swooped by and the stupid chicken freaked and slammed headlong into the watering cans.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is Bailey, he's still a kitten, so far he's a really sweet kitty but can be an annoying jerk at times like most cats :v:

That's a lot of floof.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

heck.. even avoiding the 'Rona. Just Vote.

I could not have said it better myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lf_2JyXocY

That man is talking some sense, and I like the way he says it plainly.
I never understood the sense in burning down the business and possessions of your neighbors, when clearly they had nothing to do with the hell you ended up in, but I do get that "the government" and "large corporations" and the system are a lot harder to target effectively, and don't generally have an immediate result. It's striking out in anger and frustration at anything nearby, which, I guess on second thought, I'm ashamed to admit I do understand. Not to that level, mind you, but I've definitely snapped at people in anger who had nothing to do with that anger.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Krakkles posted:

I get that this was a joke, but please don't do this.

Black Lives Matter. Native Lives Matter. All Lives can't Matter until those groups are included, and joking about it before that point is the opposite of respectful. I know we're on SomethingAwful but this merits respect, even here.
The fact that we don't as a society believe that people should be helped - even the people we don't like, or the people who make mistakes, is a huge part of this.

Yeah I saw an amazing explanation from some twitter rando that should make it easy to explain to everyone:

Imagine sitting around the table and you pass out food to everyone but Bob. Bob says "I'm hungry, can I have some too?" Jane says "WE'RE ALL HUNGRY, BOB." Then everyone eats, except Bob.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It appears I'll be cleaning my friends list a bit more this year then. loving hell.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's stupid, but rioting and destroying poo poo often gets results more quickly than peaceful demonstrations, look at Stonewall or the Boston Massacre.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elviscat posted:

It's stupid, but rioting and destroying poo poo often gets results more quickly than peaceful demonstrations, look at Stonewall or the Boston Massacre.

exactly, peaceful protests are mostly ignored

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

exactly, peaceful protests are mostly ignored

The same people demanding these protests be more peaceful, are the ones who poo poo bricks because FOOTBALL MAN KNEELED

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Unless you're black/POC. Then you die instead, and that's the problem.

Killer Mike is just trying to prevent more deaths. I don't dispute that on some level the uprising is needed, it's the aftermath for those most affected which is what sucks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just found out how to vote absentee this month with no good reason other than "don't want the 'rona"

I suggest y'all do the same.

Texas ain't doin that.

And since I just moved, it's gonna be tough to do early voting. I've already mailed my new voter registration, but it probably won't take effect until early voting is over. I'm in both a different city and county now...

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I haven't done anything car related in a while since late march because lazy, even though I was stuck at home with the car as company

As tribute I bring you birbo? turbirb? turbirbo?

(Old photo, sorry if you've already seen it)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

The same people demanding these protests be more peaceful, are the ones who poo poo bricks because FOOTBALL MAN KNEELED

This cant be repeated enough. They tried peaceful protests and these assholes were DONT PROTEST LIKE THAT.

Also it cant be stressed enough it's the cops who are shooting into peaceful crowds or bashing kneeling protestors that are provking violence. There's white boys smashing windows and looting stores for *reasons*. Orange fuckwit is pouring petrol on the fires as well. Most of the protests are very much peaceful and the real protestors are finding troublemakers and making sure they dont start poo poo.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Oh good, the Cheeto is threatening to deploy the army. This can only end well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure looks like a parrot cage to me.

It is a parrot cage but that's not it. Imgur is absolutely not letting me upload so good thing no one guessed it yet. The pictures are reeeeaaaally cute tho

I've been looking for a cage for a few months now and I'm so glad no one responded to the ads from the other ones. This is the biggest and well made one I found not to mention stainless steel for $350. Total score.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A skunk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Killer Mike is extremely good. His music is also extremely good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:sigh:

Edit: not to emptypost a meme, things are going to start to suck. I see that in a number of facets of life right now. We've been through tough times before, but this is honestly starting to get a little bit intimidating.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Killer Mike is extremely good. His music is also extremely good.

I spent way too much of my life avoiding rap, and RTJ is so loving good it makes me wish I hadn't.