Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy McPants posted:

Oof, if any show would need a major update to work in a modern context it's Exo-Squad. Plucky soldiers fighting to suppress a slave uprising ain't gonna fly in TYOL 2020.

It would! A remake could turn out great or terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Gay Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors would be extremely my poo poo and I'm not even gay. I loved that show and those toys as a kid and it's awesome to see that anyone else remembers that show.

Give it the She-Ra treatment and represent the gently caress out of every community.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I feel like we're running out of really popular 80s cartoons to remake. What's even left at this point that hasn't seen some kind of update, sendup, or revival? The Jetsons, Captain Planet, Denver the Last Dinosaur?

Paging Tranzor Z to the thread. Tranzor Z, to the thread.

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I feel like we're running out of really popular 80s cartoons to remake. What's even left at this point that hasn't seen some kind of update, sendup, or revival? The Jetsons, Captain Planet, Denver the Last Dinosaur?

I hate to break it to you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIVs1EUPDg

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I feel like we're running out of really popular 80s cartoons to remake. What's even left at this point that hasn't seen some kind of update, sendup, or revival? The Jetsons, Captain Planet,
I feel like a modern Captain Planet would have to work really hard not to be super grimdark and depressing.

So that's the one of these I want to see most. :getin:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I feel like a modern Captain Planet would have to work really hard not to be super grimdark and depressing.

Post-Apocalyptic Captain Planet where the ending has them sending the Eco Cruiser and its tech to the past along with the rings to Gaia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Haifisch posted:

Just have all the evil villain plots be real things that really happened. complete with citations at the end of the episodes.. It would get incredibly dark fast.

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The real villain of captain planet are the planeteers for not sharing the tech powering their plane with everyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Avalerion posted:

The real villain of captain planet are the planeteers for not sharing the tech powering their plane with everyone.

It's powered by the heart of a forsaken child.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's definitely some stuff in Captain Planet that we still deal with like poaching, deforestation, animal testing for cosmetics, recycling, Hitler and others. But there's also some stuff that's a little outdated like acid rain, CFCs and the ozone hole. Most of the episodes could be modernized though and basically still be the same

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Captain_Planet_episodes

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just have all the evil villain plots be real things that really happened. complete with citations at the end of the episodes.. It would get incredibly dark fast.

extremely cobra commander voice: Auuugh! Professor Pox you infected Pharmacorps entire shipment of vaccines with AIDS! What am I going to do NOW?

extremely mad scientist voice: We can still sell it your evilness...

"TOO WHO?! The regulations are far too strict in America, I'm never going to recover financially, unless..."

"Why your evilness why not sell it in the thi-"

"We can sell it to poor countries under retail and recoup the losses! I'm a genius! Ahahahahah! Make the preperations!"

"At once sire"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New Captain Planet sparking the match for an international gay ecoterrorist movement would be amazing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Skippy McPants posted:

I could easily name at least half a dozen that haven't gotten any kind of reimagining yet to my knowledge and that I'd be at least interested in because I thought they were cool as a kid. M.A.S.K, Bravestarr, Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors, Mysterious Cities of Gold, the Centurions, Spiral Zone, Dino Riders, Count Duckula and Dogtanian & the Three Muskateers are all ones I watched as a kid and would at least check out reimaginings of if they were made. Looking at a list of 80's cartoons, there's also more I know others enjoyed that I never knew of as a kid like Silverhawks, Galaxy Ranger etc. And If you stretch it to include early 90's stuff then there's even more: The Bots Master, S.W.A.T. Kats, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Gargoyles, Freakazoid! etc.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

This She-ra reboot ended up being wonderful, but let's be real. Most cartoons from that era were trash. It's not exactly a fruitful avenue to explore. Just make original stuff!

The original She-Ra was pretty trash from what little I remember or know of it, so the fact that turned out good shows it can happen to even the worst shows. I would personally say though, that while the actual execution of many shows in the 80s and 90s was terrible, it was an era of some really wild ideas for shows, where the very concepts people were making shows around were absurd in the silliest but best way. I think it may have been simply an effect of the higher focus on toyetic designs and having to find a way around censorship, but the premise in most new shows seems to be a lot more straight forward.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

tsob posted:

I could easily name at least half a dozen that haven't gotten any kind of reimagining yet to my knowledge and that I'd be at least interested in because I thought they were cool as a kid. M.A.S.K, Bravestarr, Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors, Mysterious Cities of Gold, the Centurions, Spiral Zone, Dino Riders, Count Duckula and Dogtanian & the Three Muskateers are all ones I watched as a kid and would at least check out reimaginings of if they were made. Looking at a list of 80's cartoons, there's also more I know others enjoyed that I never knew of as a kid like Silverhawks, Galaxy Ranger etc. And If you stretch it to include early 90's stuff then there's even more: The Bots Master, S.W.A.T. Kats, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Gargoyles, Freakazoid! etc.

Hasbro tried to bring MASK back as a comic a few years ago, but it was tied into the larder IDW Hasbro-verse and was kinda hampered by that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alan Moore's Captain Planet

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cities of Gold got a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXsJ1mJKkfU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pentyne posted:

It's powered by the heart of a forsaken child.

Did you say...an ORPHAN?!

Darth Walrus posted:

New Captain Planet sparking the match for an international gay ecoterrorist movement would be amazing.

King Arthur and the Knights of Justice. Keep the football angle, but make them all non-het. :getin:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Technowolf posted:

Hasbro tried to bring MASK back as a comic a few years ago, but it was tied into the larder IDW Hasbro-verse and was kinda hampered by that.

They also get a namedrop in Transformers: Prime, when Optimus needs a new alt-mode as a truck with rocket engines.

I'm hard- pressed to think of another 80' s girl- oriented cartoon that has mindspace and hasn't already been rebooted in some form. Jem has the IDW series, My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake have had multiple reboots.

Though, admittedly, the lack of mindspace helps. Almost nobody really remembers Wildfire, Lady Lovely Locks, or Rose Petal Place, so you can do almost whatever you want with them.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 1, 2020

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Jem and the Holograms revival cartoon that's more goofy crime-fighting adventures than whatever the hell that live-action movie was.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

xeria posted:

Jem and the Holograms revival cartoon that's more goofy crime-fighting adventures than whatever the hell that live-action movie was.

They should be a legit band going on tours worldwide and the villains should be greedy record industry executives and producers and creepy weirdo stalker fans and people who hold up phones in front of other people at shows.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

xeria posted:

I love the Joueur du Grenier's review of the old tv series.

*Misfits show up at a birthday party*
"They threw your sister into a volcano! Why are you letting her in?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtszgIRPLMQ
If you udnerstand french

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you want more Jem content, read the excellent recent comic series, including the Misfits miniseries.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love the Joueur du Grenier's review of the old tv series.

*Misfits show up at a birthday party*
"They threw your sister into a volcano! Why are you letting her in?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtszgIRPLMQ
If you udnerstand french

And if you're sufficiently interested in 80's Jem and the Holograms, and have a heck of a lot of free time for some reason, there's the Jem Jam podcast, which covers the 65 episodes of the cartoon, the IDW comic series, and the live action movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

kefkafloyd posted:

If you want more Jem content, read the excellent recent comic series, including the Misfits miniseries.

I know its good on body types, but how gay is it?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Stimber is canon.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

tsob posted:

The show's creators made a Kickstarter trying to fund a new miniseries or something, but it sadly didn't go anywhere. I remember that the show's first season looked just okay, but the second season took a huge jump in quality due to switching animation studios.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'll take a Captain Planet reboot if it's hardcore communist. He flies around and just murders polluters. Feel good show of the year!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'll take a Captain Planet reboot if it's hardcore communist. He flies around and just murders polluters. Feel good show of the year!

Did somebody say Ted TurnerMurders?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

twistedmentat posted:

It's very gay.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

With the Jem and the Holograms cartoon, I've long been of the opinion that the late Emmett Benton set up the secret lair under the drive-in with the tricked-out car and the AI holographic supercomputer with the intention of allowing his daughters to become crimefighting superheroes.

And when they told Synergy, the computer built from the memories of their mother, "We'll use this to become Glam Rockers", she decided "That seems less dangerous. Let's do that, instead."

She was wrong, of course.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Original She-Ra was cheesy, hokey, and used a lot of recycled animation, but it's actually still a lot of fun to watch now if you go into it with the right attitude. It's a silly, ridiculous show, and targeted at a younger audience (plus it was the 80s so there's vanishingly little continuity and no episodic storytelling), but a lot of the seeds of what's fun in the reboot were present in the original. Shadow Weaver, notably, is very similar in both incarnations, at least as far as the "fallen sorcerer from Mystacor who tapped into unspeakable evil power" aspect goes. An early-in-his-career J. Michael Straczynski was a staff writer for much of the show's run, too.

The reboot took the original's broad, simple caricatures and turned them into characters, that's the main thing. It's definitely a huge improvement overall, but I wouldn't say the original She-Ra is bad - it's definitely a cheesy 80s kids' show, but it's one of the better ones. If you can look past the clunky dialogue and awkward voice acting, there's a lot to enjoy in the ludicrous pastel fantasy land where the hero chucks mountains at people and everything is scored to dramatic synthesiser honking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He-Man was known as Musclor in french. She-Ra remained She-Ra.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
ugh, shadowweaver's constant touching makes my skin crawl

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mazerunner posted:

same, glad I'm not the only one. I'm considerably better these days, but for a long time I didn't even shake hands because touch freaked me the gently caress out.

thanks, my parents. you made me an excellent sad catgirl

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Don't worry, someone even worse comes along eventually.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

maltesh posted:

Stimber is canon.

I can't find the gif, but imagine Kimber in a car with Stormer driving off going "see ya breeders!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The She-Ra podcast says that the 80's She-Ra cartoon was like the top rated one back then so I guess it was really popular but I just missed it since I was born in the 90's :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember putting together a bunch of notes for a Ulysses 31 reboot, but I’m not an artist, and I wouldn’t know where to go with them. :/

maltesh
May 20, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

The She-Ra podcast says that the 80's She-Ra cartoon was like the top rated one back then so I guess it was really popular but I just missed it since I was born in the 90's :v:

In my own television market, when She-Ra aired on the channel that became the local Fox Affiliate, it was a weekday morning cartoon, and was shown late enough in the morning that there were no other broadcast cartoons airing to compete with it. So it was probably PBS, Nickelodeon's Pinwheel if you had Cable, or She-Ra, for the sufficiently-young demographic who wasn't interested in talk shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm 32 years old, why is it that I can't stop thinking about a cartoon for children I had not watched before last week? Maybe it's cause I'm depressed and jobless and it makes me feel good.

I'm super disappointed there isn't a mod for Endless Space 2 that reskins Horatio into being Horde Prime.