Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
E4's whole premise is just terrible, but the content is good. Tokyo and Las Vegas are fun areas to play and battleship yamato is an awesome boss fight

Edit: just remembered one of the vegas trash mobs is an animated gun store sign :shepface:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

The story in this game seems...not good so far.

*in extraordinarily terrible British accent*

oi mate you bloody wanker

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

once they figure out what they want to do with it pso2's plot is 90% in service of extremely anime characters interacting and bouncing off each other, if you don't like that approach to writing it's not gonna be fun for you. some real fun solo fights in there though.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

THE loving MOON posted:

E4's whole premise is just terrible, but the content is good. Tokyo and Las Vegas are fun areas to play and battleship yamato is an awesome boss fight

Edit: just remembered one of the vegas trash mobs is an animated gun store sign :shepface:

Time to start paying attention to the PSO story now...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Like you would think story quests would be missions that you play and then you get an end cutscene, but a lot of the time you just get a cutscene and that's it. It's odd.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Like you would think story quests would be missions that you play and then you get an end cutscene, but a lot of the time you just get a cutscene and that's it. It's odd.

It used to be that, it was worse. Trust me, it was worse, the matterboard was asinine grindy garbage and I am glad it is dead.

You were locked out of exploration zones until you progressed the story, and in order to progress the story you had to accept client orders from Cofy and wander around in previous exploration zones to discover story beats, or collect widgets on an extremely rare drop chance (1-2%) chance from particular enemies.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Once upon a time those cutscenes were out in the field, or you had to walk up the NPCs on the ship to get them, which was good and made the world feel a little more alive. But they were also gated behind things like "kill 1,000 of this mob for a weapon with bad stats" or "Fight this rare boss whose event hasn't happened in months." And that was bad. So they took about 2/3 of the cut scenes and stiched them together into the story mode we have now.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I do miss a lot of those non-main plot cut scenes.

But yeah. The Matter Board was awful awful awful except when it gave you some solid leveling armor.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

Fawf posted:

Do you mind going into a bit more detail? I don't know what most of this means and it seems important

In the main lobby talk to Officer Cofy. Accept and complete Practice Quest Notification. You'll get an item called Sub / Weapon Barrier. You can equip this on any Unit slot (back, arms, legs). You can't trade this item with other players but you can put it in storage and give to one of your alts.

Now rinse repeat 2 more times and you'll have 3 total on a single character.

It's pretty drat crazy when starting out as you can get +450 hp right out the gate at level 1. This will easily hold you over until late end game (I assume).

I have no idea why they just hand you a super op item right out the gate but oh well :shrug:

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there any actual benefit to completing the main story? I mean by completing it you get some sort of unique item or it unlocks something you can't get anywhere else?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
gilgabot hasn't replied to my registration tweet, is there any other way to register?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Red Metal posted:

gilgabot hasn't replied to my registration tweet, is there any other way to register?

At this point you need to buy a 90-day Fiesta Ticket.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Numberwang!!! posted:

Is there any actual benefit to completing the main story? I mean by completing it you get some sort of unique item or it unlocks something you can't get anywhere else?

You get star gems for S-ranking story, and also unlock new partners (which you can use for titles).

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Numberwang!!! posted:

Clearing the episode 2 story gives you the weapon camo *Elder Pain, which is a camo version of Falz Hyunal's sword

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
When can I get a Chainsawd and a Spread Needle?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

mango sentinel posted:

Chainsawd was in Ultimate Naberious, but is an OT weapon, so I don't think we'll get it. Spread Needle never made it in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
More stupid newbie questions -

What should I do with all this poo poo in my inventory?

There's something about weapon upgrading right?

What do I feed to my mag? I'm a Hunter.

What do I do with ARKS Badges?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

im addicted to the sword's throw attack. tossing a big enemy into another big enemy for 10k damage to both is insanely satisfying

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

What do I feed to my mag? I'm a Hunter.

What do I do with ARKS Badges?

As a Hunter, you want a Melee Attack mag. Feed it melee weapons for the most part, but when its Dex bar gets too high switch to 4* furniture (you don’t want Dex levels).

The ARKS Badges are from the invite-a-friend campaign. The white ones will gradually leave your inventory as you level and you’ll have none left by 50. The blue ones I think you can trade somewhere...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ardeem posted:

Chainsawd was in Ultimate Naberious, but is an OT weapon, so I don't think we'll get it. Spread Needle never made it in.

:negative:

Anyways I hear we're posting robots.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

AweStriker posted:

As a Hunter, you want a Melee Attack mag. Feed it melee weapons for the most part, but when its Dex bar gets too high switch to 4* furniture (you don’t want Dex levels).

The ARKS Badges are from the invite-a-friend campaign. The white ones will gradually leave your inventory as you level and you’ll have none left by 50. The blue ones I think you can trade somewhere...

Personally, I'd suggest using Monomates for lowering Dex. Monomates raise S-Def but melee weapons lower that. Some furniture raises R-ATK (ranged damage) which requires another loop.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 2, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Ardeem posted:

Yeah sadly Chainsawd didn't make it into the NA version. Spread Needle is in the JP version though, as a 14* weapon that drops from Esca Falz Mother, so we should get it once we get that boss in NA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ardeem posted:

Spread Needle never made it in.

Yeah it did

https://pso2.arks-visiphone.com/wiki/Spread_Needle

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So is there any way to increase how quickly I zip around as a Ranger? I keep seeing people flying across the zone like they were playing warframe instead of PSO2.

edit: Actually while I'm asking, how rare are personal shop passes from fun scratch tickets? I was looking into grabbing one with the 100 AC I had left over (thinking that "oh, there should be one that's only a couple days in length"), but they only have 30 day ones for sale which cost a stupid amount.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 2, 2020

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

Annath posted:

I kinda wish I'd made a robot now.

Things I don't understand at level 40:

Mashing weapons together to improve one

Making rings

How to tell at a glance which of the 5 identically named pieces of gear is better

Whether or not to ID the unidentified items I find (of types I don't use) or just sell them

What the different kinds of missions are and when to pick a given type.

I've kind of just been randomly doing poo poo and making levels go up.

This is a little ways back but I'll try to provide a bunch of simple tips for new people along these categories.

Weapon Grinding (NT Grinding)
Weapons that have an exp bar and/or that end with NT as part of their name uses the "new type" grinding system that requires you to use other weapons as fodder to provide EXP to increase the base item's grind level. Early on you can mash whatever you find onto your current weapon and things should level up easily enough but when you start getting to higher rarity weapons (think 11 stars and up) doing this will start to eat your resources fast as a new player. Here's some things to keep in mind for the system:

1) You can use 5 fodder weapons at a time when grinding your base weapon. Each fodder you use will add extra costs to the grind, generally 1 grinder and a varying amount of meseta (based on the rarity of the fodder) per item.
2) You can get bonus exp if the fodder you're using is of the same weapon type as the base weapon you're grinding and you can get a lot of bonus exp if you use the same weapon as fodder for grinding. Using the same weapon as fodder will also increase the grind cap of the base weapon by 1 up to 35 if the base's cap wasn't already at 35.
3) Certain affixes like Emper Embrace specifically grant bonus exp when using a weapon with that affix as fodder. This affix might get localized with a different name but it comes exclusively from Emper Rappies (giant rappies dressed up as monarchs) so always look to grab any weapons they drop.
4) The grind value of fodder items influences how much exp they give by a large margin. A 6 star fodder weapon that's at +30 will give more exp than a 10 star fodder weapon at +0 for example.

Most of what I've outlined above is really only important for grinding 13* weapons and above. 13*+ weapons require lambda grinders which aren't nearly as plentiful and you'll easily chew through them grinding weapons if you don't specifically make fodder to help with grinding. A good method for grinding the higher rarity weapons would be to take the Dio weapons that EQs like to spit out and mash them into Nox (12*) weapons. You'll need a single +26 Nox to take a 13* weapon from 0 to 10, a +26 Nox and a +20 Nox for 10 to 20, and 2 +26 Noxs to go from 20 to 30 in 5 lambda grinders.

Just keep in mind that grinding can get expensive and you will need a decent amount of meseta using this method. Of course, this will be made fairly moot once NA adds in weapon files that give out +35 13* weapons. :v:

Affixing
Oh god affixing. There is so much to go into for affixing that to properly cover it will require a separate post of its own so for now I'll just give a quick overview of the basics. Forewarning though, affixing is the true endgame grind of PSO2 so it's best not to mess with it too much while getting established. Affixing works as follows though:

1) Your base weapon/unit that you wish to add affixes/abilities to determines what fodder you can use to take affixes from. If for instance you have a unit with two affixes on it then you can only use other units that have 2 or more affixes as fodder.
2) You can only upslot once per affix round. This means that you can't go from 2 affixes on your base item to 4. You would need to first successfully upslot from 2 affixes to 3 and then again from 3 to 4 in two attempts.
3) Affixing eats the fodder that is used in the process.
4) Upslotting greatly decreases the chances that affixing will succeeds as you go up in slots. This is where the hell grind can really kick in.
5) Using at least two fodder per affixing attempt will increase the rate at which affixes can succeed. Always try to use at least two fodder when affixing.
6) Multiple copies of the same affix/ability will generally increase the rate of success of transferring that ability. Power III for instance starts with a 60% chance of success when you only have one copy of it while affixing. Two copies of Power III will bump this up to 80% and 3 copies will bump it up to 100%.

There's a lot more to cover as far as affixing goes but this should cover the most important basics of it. If people are interested I'll try to write more on this later when I have time.

Rings and Gathering
Rings and gathering sadly go pretty hand-in-hand. You have to gather to get the materials to make most rings and you then need even more materials from gathering to grind said rings you just made. For those of you just starting out, the best thing to do is go gather in every free field you get access to at least once. You want to start unlocking the various meals you can make in Franka's Cafe as some of them offer huge bonuses to gathering minerals and jewels. If my memory is correct the two best meals for these categories are Luxurious Seafood and Teriyaki Tokyo Seabream. These dishes give +400% to jewel harvesting rates and +300% to mineral harvesting rates respectively which will generally make your mining attempts almost nothing but the jewels and rocks needed for rings. If these dishes aren't available yet in NA then there might be weaker versions of these dishes available so try to unlock everything you can and look at the list of food to see what options are available. Using the gathering buffs from food is the best way to quickly get what you need for your rings.

IDing ??? Weapons
Tekking weapons can be a bit of a hassle but there are a number of benefits to this system that become more apparent as you get further into endgame (affixing). Untekked weapons tend to have far more affixes on them compared to weapons that already dropped tekked and the tekking process always adds an affix. This makes it fairly easy to start finding weapons with 6-8 affixes right out of the gate helping you skip the upslotting process. You also get to choose what element you want the weapon to have which is always nice as well.

Daily COs and Featured Missions
So this last part might not yet apply to the NA version but the question about mission types was a bit confusing to me (I assume the question was about the various categories like Time Attack, Advanced Quests, and such). Generally, you don't need to worry about what mission you choose to play as most of what you do in game generally revolves around what COs you picked up. Daily COs are, as the name implies, a list of rotating COs that change each day that have you doing various tasks for increased amounts of exp and meseta compared to the normal COs the standard NPCs give out. There will always be 3 Daily COs that focus on one free field that will give the standard exp and meseta rewards but also give an increasing tri-boost effect of a 5% increase to exp , meseta ,and rare drop rates which eventually stacks at 50%. This boost lasts for 24 hrs and will decay by 5% at the end of the 24 hr period but can be refreshed by simply completing another Daily CO that offers the boost. Furthermore, a handful of Daily COs will offer hefty meseta rewards for either completing a specific mission, free field, or defeating a boss so doing these can be a good source of income.

Finally, there are Featured Missions. Like Daily COs, the Featured Missions rotate once a day and give you a list of 4 quests to choose from. One is always a free field (which has the Daily CO boost COs), two are random ARKs Missions, and the fourth Featured Mission is a "special" leveling quest that always has a +200% exp boost active. The fourth Featured Mission is randomly chosen from a list of old event quests Sega had ran in the past and range from a fairly generic free field (but in the city) to PSO2's own version of Towards the Future. If Featured Missions are available on NA they should unlock after doing the first level cap quest, but if they aren't then keep an eye out for when they get added. These will generally be the go to method for leveling.

I'm going to end this post here before it gets much longer but I hope this helps clear some things up for people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So is there any way to increase how quickly I zip around as a Ranger? I keep seeing people flying across the zone like they were playing warframe instead of PSO2.

Rodeo Drive (or whatever the NA name is) on launcher. Dodge roll cancel it before you circle around at the end. Eventually we'll get Type-Zero techs/PAs and it'll be channelled instead but it's good enough at the moment.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
anyone having trouble downloading from the Win10 store? I hit install and nothing happens

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

anyone having trouble downloading from the Win10 store? I hit install and nothing happens

One of my friends was having this issue and he thought it was because he needed win10 updates. I don't think that ended up being his problem but he was eventually able to hit the install button successfully.

Question: how does weaken work on rangers? I have 3 bullets of it and it says once per target, but as far as I can tell it makes me use them all up before I can get to dpsing?

EDIT: I think the issue is I need to load them, shoot the boss, then use PAs to not "use" the rest of them via basic attacks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Weak Bullet/Blight Rounds replaces your next few normal attacks. It can only be applied to each enemy once, hitting them again refreshes the timer and moves the hitbox that's being marked. Believe me, your normal attacks are not your DPS; use your PAs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Also there's Dive Roll Shoot Keep for PP recovery while bullets are loaded/you need to reposition a little and set up a perfect attack

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

AweStriker posted:

How do I know when the Dex Bar gets "too high"? Also, I was trying to feed it some spare starter swords and it kept saying it would boost "RNG Support." "MEL Support" is S-ATK" right?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Thanks for the info. I only have the two starter PAs so far and the rapid fire one is the only good one so I need to find some more

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

How do I know when the Dex Bar gets "too high"? Also, I was trying to feed it some spare starter swords and it kept saying it would boost "RNG Support." "MEL Support" is S-ATK" right?

"too high" is enough to gain a level. you don't want it to gain dex levels at all.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah sadly Chainsawd didn't make it into the NA version. Spread Needle is in the JP version though, as a 14* weapon that drops from Esca Falz Mother, so we should get it once we get that boss in NA.

Well, that's what I get for only double-checking Launchers. :eng99:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Overwatch Porn posted:

"too high" is enough to gain a level. you don't want it to gain dex levels at all.

So I'm assuming once the bar fills, it gains a level?

This is a separate bar from "Energy"? I was worried it would level every time energy was maxxed.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

This is a separate bar from "Energy"? I was worried it would level every time energy was maxxed.

yes

energy is effectively battery power for your mag. feeding it an item fills it by 33%, you can't feed it if it has over 66% of energy remaining, serving as a time limiter for how quickly you can level your mag

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yes, the bars next to each stat, under the heading Support Level. The bar fills, it gains a level in that stat. Energy is just how long until you can feed it again/it's more likely to use the Trigger Actions.

Once your mag hits 100 the ARKS mission for it will give you five level down items, at least.

Also, support devices (MEL Support Device etc) aren't affected by energy limits at all, you can spam 100 of them in under a minute and only affect that stat. Just remember to pick the "Use Device" menu option, not Feed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

orange juche posted:

It used to be that, it was worse. Trust me, it was worse, the matterboard was asinine grindy garbage and I am glad it is dead.

You were locked out of exploration zones until you progressed the story, and in order to progress the story you had to accept client orders from Cofy and wander around in previous exploration zones to discover story beats, or collect widgets on an extremely rare drop chance (1-2%) chance from particular enemies.
I feel like there is a middle ground somewhere between "extremely disjointed cutscenes where a guy says one word and walks away" and "incredibly grindy bullshit"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

The goal is to fill up the MEL Support bar 200 times while not filling the DEX Support bar up any times, and it takes three items to fill up the Energy bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

All these weapons for classes I can't use/outdated gear - should I discard it? sell it? save it for some nefarious purpose?