Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Aka by the end of act one, he’s completely finished his character arc for the entire trilogy.

That's not even a character arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CelticPredator posted:

Well I guess since I’ve seen ROS I disagree.

Every subversive thing he did made it better because it took the lamest parts of TFA and gave them a chance to become interesting. I hated the parents thing and I hated snoke. And luke being jaded was something I was kind of hoping for when the first rumors of TFA started leaking.

I haven't seen ROS but I've heard a plot summary/know that "Somehow, Palpatine has returned" and I agree.

Kylo kills Snoke and sets himself up as the real villain. Fun!
Rey's history being resolved as "Your parents were no one, and so are you." Interesting!
Luke formed a New Jedi Order; he made a terrible, instinctual choice when he saw immense Dark Side potential in one of his pupils - one who shares his bloodline - knowing the chaos that could stem from that. Tragic, but also, consistent with what we've seen in the "Skywalker Saga" (as Disney is so eager to brand it) to this point!

I don't think TLJ was a perfect film by any means - I've got a few issues with it - but I enjoyed watching it and remember leaving the theater a hell of a lot more excited than I was after TFA. "Wow, they didn't just do a copy/replace on Empire! The sequel trilogy might actually go somewhere new in the third act!"

Also, this poo poo ruled. I know the timelines are all over the place and it takes some plot contrivances to make it work, but having every major arc to come to a head at once and get punctuated like this was a lot of fun.

Rian Johnson deserves to make at least one Star Wars movie where he's not beholden to somebody else's half-assed plot setup.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
If you liked TLJ but didn't like TRoS then I'm sorry the film didn't live up to your theory-crafted Youtube videos, you basement-dwelling manchildren. :) Star Wars isn't about you. :) Have you considered you are a toxic fan? :)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

If you liked TLJ but didn't like TRoS then I'm sorry the film didn't live up to your theory-crafted Youtube videos, you basement-dwelling manchildren. :) Star Wars isn't about you. :) Have you considered you are a toxic fan? :)

Checking to see if you're a Gnarlacious Bro alt rn

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

I never watched this show, but I'm curious to find out if they saved the cheerleader

Pro tip: Do not read up on Hayden Panitierre's actual life for the past decade

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Luke shoulda been even more like Space Zizek.

Snotty, picking at his shirt, endlessly referencing un-PC jokes about how Alderman should have fought back.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

It’s the closest thing he gets to one.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Also, this poo poo ruled. I know the timelines are all over the place and it takes some plot contrivances to make it work, but having every major arc to come to a head at once and get punctuated like this was a lot of fun.

It absolutely did and I still laugh whenever I see someone post some unreadable wall of text about how it ruins the lore or whatever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TLJ tries to get away with the Rogue One thing where an action packed finale makes up for the rest of the movie being a disjointed mess, but it really doesn't manage.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
As soon as Carrie Fisher died they should have re-shot or re-edited TLJ to have Leia die instead of Luke.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Luke parts of TLJ are the best things to come out of the sequel movies.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters 2016 forced me to reevaluate my maxim that any movie chuds hate will automatically be good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It’s the closest thing he gets to one.

I'd argue that "I wanna run away" -> "I wanna run away with this girl I met" -> "I wanna join the cause" is more of an arc. But I wouldn't argue that it's an interesting or well developed one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

OctoberCountry posted:

It absolutely did and I still laugh whenever I see someone post some unreadable wall of text about how it ruins the lore or whatever

Being genuinely shocking and a great visual isn't in contradiction with breaking the setting.

It's pretty much exactly the same thing as what JJ does with abusing the plot and setting to make a cool scene work, just better executed and without being repeated a bunch of times in a row like in ROS.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Edit: Nvm

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PeterWeller posted:

Finn is the DnD character played by a guy who shows up only randomly and barely knows the rules and just wants to roll some dice without any complication, and when he's not around the other players just have him autopilot through encounters so that he's not a meaningfully different character when the player shows back up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Tulip posted:

Finn is the DnD character played by a guy who shows up only randomly and barely knows the rules and just wants to roll some dice without any complication, and when he's not around the other players just have him autopilot through encounters so that he's not a meaningfully different character when the player shows back up.

This is painfully accurate

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Luke parts of TLJ are the best things to come out of the sequel movies.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. It was the logical evolution of the character and Hamill played it extremely well, regardless of his personal feelings. TLJ wasn't perfect but it got this right if nothing else.

That it got so blatantly rolled back on RoS just shows just how badly this whole thing has been managed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. It was the logical evolution of the character and Hamill played it extremely well, regardless of his personal feelings. TLJ wasn't perfect but it got this right if nothing else.

I mean, even TLJ was kind of between a rock and a hard place because TFA set it up as "Luke has fled the galaxy in cowardice because his pupil turned into space hitler 2.0 and his best friend robot is in a coma out of despair" or whatever. I don't know a lot of ways to resolve that set up that wouldn't have Luke coming off at least somewhat bad given that he abandoned everyone, laying that at the feet of Johnson seems unfair at the very least. But I think Luke being played like a cynical bastard was great work by Hamill and he got his cool moment before dying.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asgerd posted:

The Last Jedi and Ghostbusters 2016 forced me to reevaluate my maxim that any movie chuds hate will automatically be good.

FWIW, you've at least still got Mad Max: Fury Road, Into The Spider-Verse, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, and The Force Awakens (if you don't think about it too hard) to point to in favour of said maxim. Also TLJ is good OP.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
TLJ is bad, please do not erase history.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Up Circle posted:

TLJ is bad, please do not erase history.

kill it, actually

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

kill it, actually

TLJ has made it plenty clear that history is pretty swell, the present sucks and needs to die.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well too dang bad

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

FWIW, you've at least still got Mad Max: Fury Road, Into The Spider-Verse, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, and The Force Awakens (if you don't think about it too hard) to point to in favour of said maxim. Also TLJ is good OP.

Please share the secret good version of Wonder Woman that you got to see

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

SolarFire2 posted:

As soon as Carrie Fisher died they should have re-shot or re-edited TLJ to have Leia die instead of Luke.

Why not both?

Let the past die:

Kill it. If you have to.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Wonder woman and not Captain Marvel?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Wonder woman and not Captain Marvel?

I never actually saw Captain Marvel :shrug:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wonder Woman is fine, but the villain reveal is really dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Wonder Woman rules. It has a weak character villain, but a strong thematic villain: war. It's like Iron Man in that way. Obie may not be the strongest villain, but the thematic villain is the arms industry. (Too bad Marvel lost sight of that, but Disney's gonna Disney).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wonder Woman rules. It has a weak character villain, but a strong thematic villain: war. It's like Iron Man in that way. Obie may not be the strongest villain, but the thematic villain is the arms industry. (Too bad Marvel lost sight of that, but Disney's gonna Disney).

the flaw of both is that the villian is just the bad wrong version of the concept. the hero isnt their opposite or an alternative or someone who rejects what the villain stands for, just the good and cool rehabilitated versions of capitalist imperialism. the films are about reform and how this time it's different.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, comes to mind that Athena is generally conspicuously absent from about any incarnation of Wonder Woman's idea of the Greek gods, and you realise probably because Diana herself (despite the name) has taken up basically that role as the sanitised liberal war goddess.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If Marvel ever introduces Hercules and if they ever include Ares I hope they also have the balls to somehow include Ares' "You want the other god of war" speech,

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

Grendels Dad posted:

If Marvel ever introduces Hercules and if they ever include Ares I hope they also have the balls to somehow include Ares' "You want the other god of war" speech,

in some versions of the myth, hercules was created intentionally created by zeus to win the gigantomachia, a separate conflict from the titanomachia. the gigantes were not unusually large physically, but rather were mortals with such indomitable spirit and overwhelming aggression that not even the olympians were a match for them in battle.

e: brushing up on it on wikipedia for fun. it seems the gigantomachy is also the most important conflict in greek myth. its kind of crazy how little it figures in our understanding of it. like theres this whole race of mortals who are cousins of the titans and have loving superpowers and they fight the gods and like nope, most people just confuse it with the titanomachy.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 2, 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Force Awakens is an enjoyable 'empty calorie,' kind of movie that doesn't hold up to scrutiny very well but understands how Star Wars is supposed to FEEL and the thematic underpinnings that are supposed to drive it, and it delivers both in abundance if you don't scratch beneath the surface too hard. Its one of those kinds of movies that deserves to be called a "love letter," to its source material, and while it could have been a better movie in every way VERY easily, I can't condemn it too hard.

The Last Jedi is brilliant, and while it is not a virtually perfect movie like New Hope or Empire, it's clearly superior to every other movie in the "skywalker saga," in terms of themes, character development, clever use of established tropes and lore for the franchise, acting, and moments that are memorable for being good rather than hilarious trash. Yes that includes Jedi (though only barely, Jedi is also good). Its flaws are superficial in comparison to its successes and I find the need many of its defenders have to concede that its got its share of warts silly. Its ground that doesn't need to be conceded because those warts don't do anything to substantively mar the film.

Rise of the Skywalker is a bizarre gumbo of mixed intentions that tried to jam three movies into one movie's runtime, tried to walk back Last Jedi while also NOT walking back Last Jedi in the vain hope of pleasing both sides of a really stupid argument they should have just ignored, and tried to tie its predecessors together into a singular vision but couldn't think of a smart way to do it and thus fell flat when it did it in a stupid way. However, I did like the middle third of the movie rather a lot, most of the stuff on Poe's old planet was good and even with the Last Jedi Retcon crap everything to the end of the Death Star Ruins duel took Rey and Kylo's individual arcs and relationship to a satisfying conclusion, even if where it went once those arcs were finished was stupid. It makes me think that JJ could have written an entire good trilogy if he'd stuck it out the entire way and didn't try to put both his sequels into one film. But then we wouldn't have gotten The Last Jedi, so gently caress that.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 2, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
check out this awesome poo poo from the 5th century poem Dionysiaca:

quote:

[Dionysus] roasted the Giants' bodies with a great conflagration, an image on earth of the thunderbolt cast by Zeus. The torches blazed: fire was rolling all over the head of Encelados and making the air hot, but it did not vanquish him—Encelados bent not his knee in the steam of the earthly fire, since he was reserved for a thunderbolt.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

check out this awesome poo poo from the 5th century poem Dionysiaca:

*Sheev cracks his knuckles*

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

I never actually saw Captain Marvel :shrug:

It's extremely loving boring even for a marvel movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, comes to mind that Athena is generally conspicuously absent from about any incarnation of Wonder Woman's idea of the Greek gods, and you realise probably because Diana herself (despite the name) has taken up basically that role as the sanitised liberal war goddess.

What do you mean by any incarnation? Are you talking about the comics? Athena has been a major player there as an occasional ally albeit a manipulative one.