Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Well, make sure you measured correctly. Can you get the waist band on comfortably? You may have to let some gathers out so it's looser. I'll look at the instructions again... In the comments there is confusion about the skirt.

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Maybe the hand sewing is part of the issue? On a machine I'd use a zig zag stitch after gathering the fabric, which will allow it to still have some stretch. You might either have to loosen the waist or accept that it might have to go on over the head.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Bingo Bango posted:

Maybe the hand sewing is part of the issue? On a machine I'd use a zig zag stitch after gathering the fabric, which will allow it to still have some stretch. You might either have to loosen the waist or accept that it might have to go on over the head.
Yeah, hand sewing tends to be overly tight, rightly so, but.... Yeah a machined zigzag would be the best

BeetleSorceress
Nov 21, 2019
I don't have a sewing machine I can use, unfortunately. I might try to make the gathers again with an elastic thread? I actually used this pattern years ago and found it again because it was simple enough that I managed to get a good result even with no dressmaking experience and all hand sewing - but last time I made the circle skirt. This time I wanted a maxi dress - I thought the maxi skirt pattern would be easy!

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I would not use elastic. The principal should be the same as the other skirt. Just redo the gather to match up with the waist, assuming the waist fits and can slip on with no problem. Even a little gather, as long as it's evenly distributed will look good. I'm curious to see this finished! I have never hand sewed knit material

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You can also hand-sew zig-zags for more stretch. It's kind of a pain, but it's doable.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, I would probably use a straight stitch to gather the material, then a zig-zag for attaching the skirt to the waistband. After you're done, you can snip the gathering thread and pull it out, and hopefully your skirt will have enough stretch.

BeetleSorceress
Nov 21, 2019
Oh okay! Having looked at more things about how gathering works, that makes so much more sense. I didn't realise you could do the gathering stitches to get everything in place to attach to the waistband, and then just get rid of the actual gather stitches afterwards.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Hey there, what sort of thread would you recommend for basic stuff like sticking a button back on or mending a small tear? Finally used up a spool my mom's had in her kit for like 30 years. Material, thickness, whatever. Many thanks.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Volcott posted:

Hey there, what sort of thread would you recommend for basic stuff like sticking a button back on or mending a small tear? Finally used up a spool my mom's had in her kit for like 30 years. Material, thickness, whatever. Many thanks.

Well.. . Button thread for buttons. Depends on the tear but normal thread. I usual buy it as needed

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

A medium weight cotton/poly blend is probably the most versatile for what you're doing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Volcott posted:

Coats & Clark Dual Duty is good enough and you can probably find it at Walmart, even, not a fancy store. Used it tons for small repairs and buttons. It isn't the strongest thread but it is definitely a Thread That Works.

I picked up some Gutterman 100% poly Sew-All thread to make a dress and I really like it. Speaking of, here is babby's first dress/stretch knit garment:

(The one hem I don't line up is the one I photograph)

Made with this fabric-- a UV-protective compression tricot. It hated stretch needles but was fine with ball points. Bonus: WICKING FABRIC so perfect for summer!

I started with this pattern but self-drafted about 3/4s of it after realizing the silhouette wasn't what I wanted for this fabric. I also forgot to shorten the torso for my 5-foot self. When I pulled the waist up to where it needed to be it created some nice rutching, so I decided it is a Feature.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I love that dress! It looks great on you! I was just looking into uv fabric. Is it very heavy? I want to make a shrug type cover up for out side summer work but I don't want to be sweating like crazy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Peeches posted:

I love that dress! It looks great on you! I was just looking into uv fabric. Is it very heavy? I want to make a shrug type cover up for out side summer work but I don't want to be sweating like crazy.

Thank you! This particular fabric has some body/heft to it (290gsm) but it isn't particularly heavy-feeling due to it being a knit. It's definitely not breezy, but it should wick away sweat. I wouldn't mind running tights or shorts made out of it, but I feel like a garment that doesn't sit next to skin won't get the wicking benefit as much and may get a little clammy.

There are a ton of thinner wicking athletic jersey fabrics that may work, though!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thanks for the info.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Peeches posted:

Well.. . Button thread for buttons. Depends on the tear but normal thread. I usual buy it as needed

For a second I thought we had a dedicated thread for buttons.

Anyway, I finished my (small) Bargello quilt:

Some of the rows aren't 100% lined up, and the quilting was a tiny bit wonky (although it's so understated you probably have to look closely), but I'm quite pleased with it.

Edit: I'm extra proud because I got halfway through making software to calculate out the cuts, then just figured it out on a piece of paper and in my head.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 31, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Some of the rows aren't 100% lined up, and the quilting was a tiny bit wonky (although it's so understated you probably have to look closely), but I'm quite pleased with it.

Edit: I'm extra proud because I got halfway through making software to calculate out the cuts, then just figured it out on a piece of paper and in my head.

It looks like pixel art! I love it.

scarletpandai
May 29, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I love the color scheme of this!

I'm rather new to quilting and just looked up Bargello quilting, I hadn't heard of it. I might give it a try.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks!

Yeah it's kind of fun and satisfying, and the piecing is fairly simple, being all long perpendicular lines.

There's actually a book on this, which your library might have, and which I found helpful to at least figure out the process. It also has some algorithms to get you started.

And lol, it basically is pixel art.

scarletpandai
May 29, 2020
Oh, what's the book? I'll have to check it out.

On a completely different note, does anyone have a simple, beginner friendly, A-line cotton dress pattern, preferably something that I could get online, that they swear by? I've obviously googled around a bit and saw plenty of options but I was hoping to narrow down by finding one that has been vetted instead of just choosing at random...

effika
Jun 19, 2005

scarletpandai posted:

On a completely different note, does anyone have a simple, beginner friendly, A-line cotton dress pattern, preferably something that I could get online, that they swear by? I've obviously googled around a bit and saw plenty of options but I was hoping to narrow down by finding one that has been vetted instead of just choosing at random...

Woven or knit fabric? What kind of bodice/silhouette do you want? Sleeve type? Neckline?

The 5 Out of 4 pattern I used above has great instructions-one of their dress patterns might work for you.

Also Pattern Review is pretty awful to search on but they can be a good resource for finding and vetting patterns.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

scarletpandai posted:

I'm pretty sure the book was this one:
https://books.google.ca/books/about/Bargello_Quilts.html?id=8ks4DYhBcqQC

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My ankle is acting up this weekend so instead of running I sewed some running shorts:

(Still need to work on sewing knits evenly-- and get a walking foot. Loosening the presser foot tension only gets me so far. )

The whole time I was cutting the fabric I kept thinking of BeatmasterJ and his bathroom tiles. There's no way to know how anything will line up! Got the flowers about where I wanted them anyway.

I used the Apostrophe MyFit leggings generator and really like the results!

Sewed down the side seams as a welt seam to keep them in place. The inner leg seams could use that too, but I couldnt figure out how to do it.

Have decided on never doing a small crotch gusset without a serger ever again. Too many bulky seams! Might try the Super G leggings pattern next, with its long gusset panel. (Well, I'll use it but grade it to the measurements the generator makes.)

I didn't know about the loud florals/2nd civil war signaling thing when I bought the fabric, so if I wear these outside of the house I'll have to a BLM tee with it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Those shorts are extremely cute and good!

Did you use the same fabric as you did for the dress? I know approximately nothing about stretch/tech fabrics, but I want to make my own and have them be at least as good as what I'd get from target. (I am very fat right now and finding clothes that fit right is impossible)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

Those shorts are extremely cute and good!

Did you use the same fabric as you did for the dress? I know approximately nothing about stretch/tech fabrics, but I want to make my own and have them be at least as good as what I'd get from target. (I am very fat right now and finding clothes that fit right is impossible)

Yes-- same fabric, different print! 82% polyester, 18% lycra, and wicking. This page is a decent starting point for performance legging fabrics.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm interested in making clothes for my kids and maybe myself if I enjoy it and can develop the skill for it. I know absolutely nothing about sewing or garment making and the op looks fairly out of date. Any good resources for getting started, ie. Sewing machine choice, other tools needed, books/videos for learning, patterns etc?

I would describe myself as an ambitious amateur and enthusiastic DIYer so I'm willing to dive in at the deep end, as it were. I'm starting from scratch which is unusual for a new hobby for me (other hobbies include beer brewing and rally car racing), but I'm a fast learner and good at teaching myself.

Thanks for any tips/resources!

Princess Tutu
Aug 17, 2013
There’s quite a few YouTube channels devoted to sewing, and that might be a good place to start. I personally like Professor Pincushion.

Sewing is one of those things where you just find yourself buying more and more and more stuff. There’s lots of specialty tools. At bare minimum, you need a machine (I like Elna) sewing scissors, a seam ripper, a tape measure, and pins.

On a side note, I was in my machine dealer’s shop the other day, and he told me that he’s having a really hard time getting machines in stock. Anyone else had that experience?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Dunno offhand about beginners' tutorials, but I've found for specific projects (e.g. quilting) that Youtube has many.

I'd also recommend looking into local adult education classes. In my city you can take evening classes for quite reasonable prices (CAD$185 for 8 evenings).

Some other folks in the thread have made sewing machine recommendations -- it'd be worth checking back over the last few pages or so. As someone who's main sewing machine was made in 1936, I'm not really the best to ask.

Edit:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Oh yeah, without going too far beyond the bare minimum, I'd add spare bobbins to that list, and a box of some sort to keep your tools in.

And it wouldn't surprise me if there was a machine shortage, both because of the number of people stuck at home and trying out new hobbies, and due to the disruptions to the global supply chain.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 18, 2020

Peeches
May 25, 2018

I've been sewing forever, and I just bought a new singer at JoAnns for 125$. I learned a lot from using seeing patterns. The gals at the fabric shop can show you how to read the package and what you need. Start simple! No zippers maybe. For your first project

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I think sewing as a hobby stacks skills really well. Start off with a super simple project that doesn't involve anything other than sewing lines. Then do something where you put in elastic. Then button/button holes. Then a zipper. Start combining things together, expand to working with different types of fabrics.

In person classes and YouTube videos are great ideas. A lot of companies have patterns for beginners that are "Sew Simple" or something along those lines. When I finally got sick of the 1970s machine I got from my mom and bought a new one, I picked up a Brother from wally world. I don't know the model # off the top of my head but at $250 it's a little more than I need and has way more stitches than I ever use, but IMHO it's so much easier to use than my old one.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Pillow cases and curtains are pretty good "all-straight-lines" starter projects.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

John Cenas Jorts posted:

I think sewing as a hobby stacks skills really well. Start off with a super simple project that doesn't involve anything other than sewing lines. Then do something where you put in elastic. Then button/button holes. Then a zipper. Start combining things together, expand to working with different types of fabrics.

My sewing teacher says you should add no more than two new skills to a single project.

Monday I will learn how to do mitered corners on a quilt border!

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

“Reader’s Digest: Complete Guide to Sewing” is a good resource book. The older editions have simple sewing projects in the back.

I’d just practice stitching on some scrap fabric and then make something quick and simple (pillow, hem curtains, etc). If that goes well make whatever you feel motivated to make. If you’re making clothes maybe start with elastic or a loose-fit. Patterns will have recommended fabrics/notions/etc on the back. You might be able to find “sew-alongs” on youtube that will go through techniques & materials.

Quilting cottons (and cottons in general) are good fabrics to start with. It’s way too easy to hoard fabric though hahaha

I have a “heavy duty” Singer from Joanns that’s totally fine.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Can I ask where I should order some all purpose thread online? Amazon seems overrun with questionable quality variety packs and my local sewing shop is closed until ??? I don’t really want to drive an hour+ for some thread. I just want to hem some stuff up on my machine and I only ever bothered to hand sew repairs before but it’s stretchy material so I figure I should zigzag it. There are too many options!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

JoAnn’s has this in stock and shipping again: https://www.joann.com/gutermann-26-spool-thread/9284811.html

And they also have one off thread spools though some colors are out of stock

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Hutla posted:

Can I ask where I should order some all purpose thread online? Amazon seems overrun with questionable quality variety packs and my local sewing shop is closed until ??? I don’t really want to drive an hour+ for some thread. I just want to hem some stuff up on my machine and I only ever bothered to hand sew repairs before but it’s stretchy material so I figure I should zigzag it. There are too many options!

Wawak for all your thread, button, zipper and other notion needs you will save so much money.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In case people only subscribe to this thread, I just wanted to let you know about the new DIY discord that we can use as a backup

1) join https://discord.gg/UuS3ehc
2) get your userid https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/206346498-Where-can-I-find-my-User-Server-Message-ID-
3) post it in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929094

Once you're verified, you can see everything going on. I'm hoping there can be a knitting/sewing channel

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

In case people only subscribe to this thread, I just wanted to let you know about the new DIY discord that we can use as a backup

1) join https://discord.gg/UuS3ehc
2) get your userid https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/206346498-Where-can-I-find-my-User-Server-Message-ID-
3) post it in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929094

Once you're verified, you can see everything going on. I'm hoping there can be a knitting/sewing channel

Yay! I love this community

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Would anyone be aware of a resource for building clothing patterns very specifically for tall men?

I've tried the measurements from Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear however they seem to be based on a generic "fit" for menswear. I'm generally tall and broadish and (for a guy) have hips so I ended up with a pattern for tight pants, which is NOT what I'm after.

I'd be happy with a way to make the male equivalent of lounge pants, but basically have nowhere to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The "cheat" option for pants is to find a pair with a fit you like and trace a pattern from them.