Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

http://www.tenetmovie.com/

TENET is the latest and 10th theatrical film from escaped government experiment emotionless brain elemental Christopher Nolan, following the success of 2017's Best Picture nominee DUNKIRK, coming July 17th, 2020.

This is also one of the most expensive original films ever, with a budget around $225 million. It's filming in SEVEN different countries.

What's It About?

No one knows! No one not involved in the production, anyway. Tenet, like Nolan's other films, is shrouded in secrecy. It has been described as "an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage." The few hints of its premise, the nature of the teaser trailer, and Nolan's obsession with time points it to being a spy thriller about time travel, which just gets my heart a-racin'.

The new trailer seems to imply an action thriller about time traveling spies who gain either the ability to manipulate time or become, say, untethered from linear time through dying and then being resurrected.

Who Is In It?

John David Washington, of BlacKkKlansman fame

Robert Pattison, Weird Film Extraordinaire, having worked with Claire Denis and David Cronenberg.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson, charisma vacuum and inexplicable career haver.

Kenneth Branagh. You know who he is come on now.

Nolan mainstay Michael Cain.

Himesh Patel, who just starred in Danny Boyle's Yesterday.

Clémence Poésy, from In Bruges and Harry Potter.

Elizabeth Debicki, recently in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as Ayesha.

Where's The Trailer?

Currently, there's a short teaser attached to certain films, popping up in surprise before showings of Hobbes & Shaw. It's not available online yet, though several people have attempted to upload recorded versions only for them to be taken down lightning quick.

Lucky for you, I've seen it several times so I will describe it!

The teaser opens with shots of John David Washington, the protagonist, walking towards a bullet hole in a glass pane. As he approaches, and throughout the sequence, we get several phrases that appear:

TIME HAS COME FOR A NEW PROTAGONIST

TIME HAS COME FOR A NEW MISSION

He touches the bullet hole, then walks across the length of the glass, touching another. Suspiciously, while Washington's character moves normally, smoke in the foreground seems to move in reverse.

There are several action shots of Washington, including beating the crap out of some guy, rushing through the streets in tactical gear alongside others, being held down by several people, and finally, breathing steadily into a gas mask as a door opens in front of him, flooding the room with light.

What Does It All Mean???

I don't know and I cannot WAIT to find out. Nolan's filmography is not perfect. He's got as many strengths as weaknesses as a director, writer, and storyteller. But oh boy is the stuff he puts out always a spectacle. I'm also a sucker for high concept action films, so you bet your rear end Inception was an absolute treat.

Thoughts...

The wording of the phrases in the teaser tickle my brain. It says "time has come" not, "the time has come" which is usually how that phrase is worded. This gives the concept of time a kind of personification. As in, time is comin' for that rear end.

In addition, the title is a palindrome, a word that reads the same way forwards as backwards. This is emphasized in how it seems to be stylized as seen in the poster, with the second E reversed and the last T upside down. To quote True Detective, "Time is a flat circle"

A tenet is "a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy."

Anyway, I'm extremely pumped to see an original, high concept, big budget action film starring a black man from the dude who brought us The Prestige and Inception.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://trailer-track.com/2019/11/27/in-the-pipeline-imax-prologue-for-christopher-nolans-tenet-on-the-way/

Trailer Track reports that an IMAX only prologue of TENET will appear before Rise of Skywalker screenings. The same thing was done with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises if I'm not mistaken? Anybody who sees this, please do give us the deets.

:siren: NEW TRAILER :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdOM0x0XDMo

:siren: ANOTHER NEW TRAILER :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pk_TBkihU

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I used to dislike Aaron Taylor Johnson but his roles in Outlaw King and Nocturnal Animal's completely turned me around on him. I think he just needs the right role and director.

I love Nolan but was always weary of how "cold" his movies felt but I loved Interstellar and feel hes gotten a lot better with it over the years.

Im sure given this movie has something to with time or time travel hes gunna have a ton of fun loving around with structure in this.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It’s nice to see Nolan pursuing the Prestige/Inception/Interstellar type of filmmaking again rather than generic comic book and WWII stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cmon time

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

tylersayten posted:

It’s nice to see Nolan pursuing the Prestige/Inception/Interstellar type of filmmaking again rather than generic comic book and WWII stuff.

Agreed, I was really happy he was finally done with Batman because his strengths definitely lie elsewhere. I'm more hyped for Tenet than I have been for any film in a looooong time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just hope Nolan doesn't regress with his lady characters.

Inception was Nolan calling himself out with how he depicts women, and TDKR and Interstellar actually had good female characters who weren't just aspects of their male co-stars... or at least less so than Nolan's earlier work.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'm not much of a Nolan fan but I've grown to like Robert Pattinson so much I'm hyped for whatever he's in nowadays.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks, whoever fixed the title. :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
No problem, fam.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
code:

R O T A S
O P E R A
T E N E T
A R E P O
S A T O R

Tenet is the sator square first and foremost I believe

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

atrus50 posted:

code:

R O T A S
O P E R A
T E N E T
A R E P O
S A T O R

Tenet is the sator square first and foremost I believe

Iiiiinteresting. Pretty sure we're going to see a recursive plot structure similar to Memento with this one.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://trailer-track.com/2019/11/27/in-the-pipeline-imax-prologue-for-christopher-nolans-tenet-on-the-way/

Trailer Track reports that an IMAX only prologue of TENET will appear before Rise of Skywalker screenings. The same thing was done with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises if I'm not mistaken? Anybody who sees this, please do give us the deets.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I want to inject this film into my veins but gently caress going to see Star Wars

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
All signs are pointing to a trailer for this movie dropping thursday. Will update the OP if true!

https://www.slashfilm.com/tenet-first-look/

NEW TRAILER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdOM0x0XDMo

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 19, 2019

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
So the macguffin in Tenet is time reversal at will? Lots of fluid reversed shots in the trailer.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Odoyle posted:

So the macguffin in Tenet is time reversal at will? Lots of fluid reversed shots in the trailer.

I wonder if it's at will or requires some kind of device, or some kind of unpredictable power.

Hello, Mr Fandango? 10,000 tickets to Tenet please.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would consider it cool if Time itself is some sort of supernatural force. Kind of like Final Destination’ Death and when you “die” and become untethered to time and have to fight to survive or do stuff around it.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Okay, just finished seeing Star Wars Imax, and the prologue sequence for Tenet they showed was by far the best part of the experience. The whole audience was in awe. If the whole movie comes anywhere near that level of cinematography, consider me hyped.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

LegendaryFrog posted:

Okay, just finished seeing Star Wars Imax, and the prologue sequence for Tenet they showed was by far the best part of the experience. The whole audience was in awe. If the whole movie comes anywhere near that level of cinematography, consider me hyped.

Just got back so I saw this too. Extremely cool, super intriguing.

The bit where JDW sees the bullet strike the floor beside him before its fired so it travels back into the gun through the guy about to shoot him had me all :aaa:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LegendaryFrog posted:

I think the people in my theater were more confused than anything. I was super hyped though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea the theater I was in was confused but hyped by this movie. I think they could show just about anything and slap from Christopher Nolan on it and people would get excited though. Dude has a poo poo ton of good will built up and he’s earned it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I recall the first Inception teaser before Star Trek 09 and feeling confused and hyped. I guess that's the angle of approach he enjoys audiences having.

I'm ready. Mostly I'm ready for the final minute of this film when everything reaches a crescendo and its like do dodododo this this that this boom and the audience is like what no
oh
my
gosh
nolan you nasty boy

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

I recall the first Inception teaser before Star Trek 09 and feeling confused and hyped. I guess that's the angle of approach he enjoys audiences having.

I'm ready. Mostly I'm ready for the final minute of this film when everything reaches a crescendo and its like do dodododo this this that this boom and the audience is like what no
oh
my
gosh
nolan you nasty boy

:eng101: The first Inception teaser launched in August, Star Trek was already out of almost all theaters by then; it had been out for fifteen weeks and was down to like 250ish theaters. Warners would have been paying Paramount to get it on a movie, and GI Joe was the most recent Paramount release, about a month old when they shipped the trailer to theaters, a better spend than Trek, which was on fumes for its theatrical run by that time. Not that you didn't maybe see it in front of Trek, entirely possible your theater was one of the 250 or so still running a print and in lieu of another movie, the projectionist put it on that.

Inception was like the first and only trailer I think I ever saw come in, on its own, without warning, in almost a decade of theater work. Most trailers would ship in the actual reel cases with the films themselves; if they were secretive, they'd have the codename printed on it instead of the title itself - The Dark Knight had Rory's First Kiss or whatever the production code name was printed on any 35mm related thing that they sent out for it, up to and including the tails of the reels themselves on the actual movie (this was reasonably common, The Two Towers was literally called "The Bridge" on everything; War of The Worlds was "Party in Fresno") - but with this it was just four copies of the trailer, might have been called Mind Game on the little green label on the outside*, and a note saying "please immediately splice this into your trailer run on District 9, Harry Potter, GI Joe, and include it in the run when you splice together Inglorious Basterds" (which was opening the next day). Inception's teaser just... arrived, randomly, at like three in the afternoon, nondescript white FedEx bubble envelope, Technicolor sender (Technicolor was pretty much the standard trailer print fabricator in those days).

Note: putting a new trailer into an already-assembled film is an incredible pain in the rear end, today's digital projectionists got it easy.

*movie trailers tended to come with three colors for their label; green basically meant "open to be spliced with any rated movie," yellow meant anything but G (but preferably only PG-13 and up), and red, well, you can guess what that was limited to.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh interesting, yeah. I mean, I was in New Zealand for what that's worth. Maybe it was in front of another film. Ah well. Interesting post, mate, thanks!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just saw the prologue before Star Wars and, wow.
I wish I hadn't seen the trailer before hand so that one reverse gun shot would have been more impactful. Oh well.

After it ended there were quite a few people in the audience going, "Holy poo poo..."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

Oh interesting, yeah. I mean, I was in New Zealand for what that's worth. Maybe it was in front of another film. Ah well. Interesting post, mate, thanks!

Well it probably did open later there since Paramount's never been big on simultaneous releases (as you can imagine, that poo poo is expensive - even more so in the days where most theaters were still needing physical film that weighs like 30 pounds a case and always were multi-case or one giant reinforced cardboard pain in the rear end, it's why like only Disney and WB seemed to do it with any regularity), so I guess that would probably explain it. Hadn't considered you might be halfway across the world.

But that's how the teaser got launched domestically, at least.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just got back so I saw this too. Extremely cool, super intriguing.

The bit where JDW sees the bullet strike the floor beside him before its fired so it travels back into the gun through the guy about to shoot him had me all :aaa:

I keep reading this spoiler and all I can hear in my head is JDW saying JoJo's Bizarre Adventure quotes in response

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Trailer 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pk_TBkihU

Looks like absolute flames. Too bad I ain't risking going to the theaters to see it. Should have just pushed it to next year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn that looks good.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That trailer looks insane and also so similar to Inception in dialogue and locations that someone really should've said "I dared to dream bigger".

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The coolest thing in the world to Christopher Nolan is a handsome man in a three piece suit doing karate on a security guard and you know what? He's right.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bike shop was pissed the movie logo is too close to their logo. Nolan reached out:

https://pxlnv.com/linklog/tenet-bikes/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Violator posted:

Bike shop was pissed the movie logo is too close to their logo. Nolan reached out:

https://pxlnv.com/linklog/tenet-bikes/

Pretty cool of Nolan to not be a dickwad about it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Trailer 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pk_TBkihU

Looks like absolute flames. Too bad I ain't risking going to the theaters to see it. Should have just pushed it to next year.

I'm loving this. As a massive Inception fan I'm loving the return to weird corporate warfare with a weird dream/time gimmick going on. Even better is trying to piece together the story based on what we've seen from these two trailers:

Before I get into that and as a potential spoiler alert linebreak, holy loving poo poo my favorite from The Expanse, Wes Chatham, is in this movie? He's an incredible actor, mega spoilers for the best show on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn76ZPt_Y0

So here's my guesses based on what we have so far, and I expect to be entirely wrong:

>My theory is that the way time "inversion" works relies on some sort of gas that has some effect on the ability of "inversion" and this plays a major factor in how the different characters experience time back and forth, similar to the "dream sharing" mechanic in Inception was explained. Still my favorite movie, by the way.

>>>There's a back of the restaurant fight/chase scene clipped in both of the trailers. I think this is probably at the very beginning of the film to show off JDW's prowess, but he loses the woman at the end and is left asking questions. JDW is chasing after her through multiple points in time.

>>>The main character played by John David Washington (JDW) is some sort of corporate agent/mercenary who gets caught up on a job gone bad and refuses to give up his comrades, getting him killed by Ralph Fiennes, and he wakes up in a medical bed being recruited by a shadowy agency that has some understanding of how time is being "inverted" and the grave threat being caused - bad people in the future are using time inversion to go back in time to do all sorts of poo poo in order to forward their agenda. JDW is recruited to stop them because he's a competent operator who can keep his mouth shut.

>>>The shadowy guy in the suit who says "welcome to the afterlife" on the boat is in charge of the "resistance" or some sort of UN/MGS2 Philantrophy style organization, and possibly trapped in the backwards time dilation we see in the first trailer, trying to prevent the future he's come from, from happening, potentially in an alternate timeline of which there are infinite of. (Admittedly I am inferring a bit from Trunks and DBZ here)

When he says "your duty transcends national interests. This is about survival," there is very much a fear of the leaders of the present having their power and control overruled by bad actors from the future inverting time in order to have their way with the threads of history.

>>>The scene from the first trailer of them flying up the side of the building is from his first "training mission." However, judging by the lighting and scenery, there's clearly an encounter with Kenneth Barangh's character where they talk about "How would you like to die?" "OId." "Then you chose the wrong profession." Maybe KB betrays him at some point as his mentor or something? I'm curious.

>>>My wild guess is that, inferring from Inception a little bit, is that Robert Pattinson is the younger version of the evil older character we've seen in multiple trailers doing evil poo poo, and JDW's character has to recruit him in order to prevent it in some sort of ridiculous hairbrained scheme a-la Inceptions 4-layers-deep mind planting heist.

The most shallow and cynical prediction I could come up with is that he has to change the psyche or mindset of Robert's character in order to prevent his older self from doing some sort of horrible evil plot that sends him back into the past. The scene in Trailer 2 indicates this, with the lines: "You can communicate with the future?" "No. Inversion."

My theory is that the young boy the blonde woman kisses at 1:29 is Robert Pattinson's character in the past. Kenneth Barangh is the older version of RP, the boy is the younger, and JDW has to save him at some point possibly.

>>>The Desi (I think?) woman who says lines like "You have to start looking at the world in a new way" is probably in tune to the back and forth struggle between the past and the future fighting against one another. "There are people in the future who need us" is a really good way of setting the stakes, and that I find exciting. But then she says, I think, "I need TENET," and maybe that's the organization that maintains the timeline? Some sort of UN-style agreement between the future and the past?

>>>"Don't try to understand it. Feel it." feels like a big deal here. Maybe something similiar to Bruce's throwaway line in Looper, another time travel (but this isn't time travel, it's time inversion) film.

>>>The tactical gear and the gas masks imply a level of organization between different factions, maybe KB's character is the head of some sort of time terrorist organization judging by the opera house scene shown at the end of the second trailer. They've apparently been knocked unconscious by some sort of gas, and this plays a major deal. But RP's character is all geared up and says the line "We need to save these people, here and now." Which is interesting - but he has his tie on under the body armor. Tactical getups don't feature suit ties.

There's clearly some sort of badge on the shoulder of the tactical gear but I can't identify it yet. I'll try to find a 4K trailer or something.

I really do hope they haven't shown us everything yet. I'd be very excited to see an entirely fresh and original climax with all the plot mechanics they haven't fully revealed yet.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh poo poo I didn't know Wes Chatham was in this! The "I am that guy" scene is probably my favorite scene in modern television.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This looks dumb as hell, but the fun kind of dumb.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

grate deceiver posted:

as long as it's not "love tars, love. my connection with murph is quantifiable..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

grate deceiver posted:

I just can't imagine any explanation for "time inversion" that won't be incredibly stupid, but I also probably won't care

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I just can't imagine any explanation for "time inversion" that won't be incredibly stupid, but I also probably won't care

You could have said the same thing about all the dream sharing mechanics in Inception, but that movie still ruled

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody read Blake Crouch's 'Recursion'? This trailer gave me the same vibes as the climax of that book, when competing and conflicting and collapsing time loops are happening over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ephori posted:

Anybody read Blake Crouch's 'Recursion'? This trailer gave me the same vibes as the climax of that book, when competing and conflicting and collapsing time loops are happening over and over again.

I've heard a lot about Blake Crouch's work but that sounds dope. I'm gonna hafta read that one.