Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kim Justice posted:

rly meks u fink

quote:

“Oh like, ‘Batman killed a guy’. I’m like, ‘Really? Wake the gently caress up,'” Snyder said. “So I guess that’s what I’m saying about, once you’ve lost your virginity to this loving movie and then you come and say to me something like, ‘My superhero wouldn’t do that’, I’m like, ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the loving road on that. You know what I mean?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McCloud posted:

here we see the iconic chris reeves version (which fans love) casually murdering Zod with a smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Rq1TlbFWY
the key difference is that we actually don't.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man of Steel's biggest crime was not having him say "Kneel before Zod".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

At that point in the interview, Zack took a long puff of his cigar as if to accentuate his point before promptly coughing both his lungs out.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Remember that scene in BvS where the heroes decide it's fine to lead Doomsday back into the city because it's after 5 and everyone's probably gone home by now.

Also yeah people are uncharitable towards Zack Snyder sometimes but I assume that's because they watched Suckerpunch and therefore know he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt on any of his film making decisions.

Also Jupiter ascending is a magnificent movie, it dares to be incredibly stupid at every turn. Worth a watch for Eddie Redmayne's performance alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKkjvzxu7yU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea on one hand people are kinda unfairly making MoS, a bad movie that's mainly just boring and poorly written, sound like some sort of fascist propaganda, but on the other hand he's made other movies that are fascist propaganda so it's really more an issue of poor target selecting than actual accuracy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sexpig by night posted:

yea on one hand people are kinda unfairly making MoS, a bad movie that's mainly just boring and poorly written, sound like some sort of fascist propaganda, but on the other hand he's made other movies that are fascist propaganda so it's really more an issue of poor target selecting than actual accuracy.

Has he?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

joke answer: those Owls of Ga'Hoole have much to answer for

real answer: 300 and BvS are outright might makes right strongman bullshit worship with 300 straight up portraying actual autocratic militaristic psychos as noble and BvS doing the whole 'the process just can't work all the time sometimes you need one brave man armed to the teeth to do what needs to be done' but 'what needs to be done' is 'fight space Jesus' so it is a dulled message I grant.

also while not fascist I'd argue his view of Watchmen was a very...weird one...like the exact opposite of what the comic was about, and paved the way for the god awful HBO show that had some truly sick poo poo.

e: also I forgot, did he do Wonder Woman, because that has some very weird 'actually war is good but only for good reasons' poo poo combined with the typical super hero problem of merging real world events with the 'great man' narrative where you get Diana leading a charge over a trench because the soldiers just needed someone brave enough to tell them to go do the thing (and having magic bracelets helps)

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 2, 2020

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
As expressed in The Who’s pop masterpiece “My Generation,” most people don’t like their generation being outright dismissed or insulted. But if millennial gamers sing high praises for Night in the Woods, any defense of themselves will be hard to swallow. Writers Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry have created a puzzling contradiction with protagonist Mae and the small-town setting of Possum Springs: while the latter by itself has palpable authenticity, right down to the humorously varied “Get off my porch” dialogue from a grumbling male, Mae becomes more and more irresponsible as employed, stressed-out people allow her privileged behavior to grow to unbelievable degrees.

Simply put, Mae epitomizes the stereotypical millennial’s disconnection from traditional everyday toil, and the script of Night in the Woods pretends that working-class citizens would not call her out for mooching and breaking the law. In the story, Mae has returned to her hometown to live with her parents again after dropping out of college. From there, you guide Mae through a variety of self-absorbed, immoral activities that include tampering with crime evidence, shoplifting, and unearthing the coffin of a boy, all with little or no consequence. Although the anthropomorphic cast of Night in the Woods gives the writers leeway to indulge in some cartoonish, unrealistic depictions, the story suggests the supporting characters have real-life concerns, especially pulling one’s own weight, that help the player suspend disbelief. Why, then, do these people — family members, friends, and hard workers — excuse, overlook, or laugh off Mae’s flagrantly selfish and stupid actions?

At one point, it seems Benson and Hockenberry will address this glaring question through Bea, Mae’s childhood friend who has been running a business ever since the death of her mother. Bea confronts Mae’s blase attitude toward dropping out of college: “I stayed here and got older, while you left and stayed the same.” Yet Bea inexplicably goes on to support Mae’s thievery and grave defilement (and for some unknown idiotic reason, the populace of Possum Springs doesn’t care about a decades-old corpse being disrespected). Bea’s dedication doesn’t get rewarded, though: in a late scene, Mae embarrasses Bea with callous disregard, which causes Bea to bring up how she wishes she could have had an opportunity to go to college like Mae, who can’t even offer her good friend a reason as to why she quit school. Bea eventually says Mae is “genuinely a good person,” even though the story has only shown evidence of Mae taking advantage of everyone around her, with no effort toward explaining herself or making a contribution to society.

Developer Infinite Fall also excuses Mae’s deplorable acts by gamifying them. Stealing, destroying property, and stabbing are presented as fun, throwaway minigames. This design choice, coupled with the townspeople’s bizarre lack of criticism for Mae’s egomania, implies that sociopathy should be celebrated, not examined. Even if Night in the Woods had a cogent point, Mae would remain an unflattering caricature of a millennial. Benson and Hockenberry’s writing is unacceptable in light of Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition, which demonstrates how the hardships of a capitalist society give millennials and baby boomers more spiritual connectedness than many realize.

Night in the Woods is at its most tedious when Mae drags all of her friends on a ghost-chasing mission, as it’s fairly obvious from the start that there are no ghosts. Benson and Hockenberry use this setup to reveal that Mae and a clandestine Republican-leaning cult are similarly insane. For connecting mental illness to murder (straight out of Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery”) and all sorts of other unsavory activity, Night in the Woods registers as pandering and cliched Democrat hate on one hand and a demented apology for millennial immaturity on the other.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Source your quotes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

As expressed in The Who’s pop masterpiece “My Generation,” most people don’t like their generation being outright dismissed or insulted. But if millennial gamers sing high praises for Night in the Woods, any defense of themselves will be hard to swallow. Writers Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry have created a puzzling contradiction with protagonist Mae and the small-town setting of Possum Springs: while the latter by itself has palpable authenticity, right down to the humorously varied “Get off my porch” dialogue from a grumbling male, Mae becomes more and more irresponsible as employed, stressed-out people allow her privileged behavior to grow to unbelievable degrees.

Simply put, Mae epitomizes the stereotypical millennial’s disconnection from traditional everyday toil, and the script of Night in the Woods pretends that working-class citizens would not call her out for mooching and breaking the law. In the story, Mae has returned to her hometown to live with her parents again after dropping out of college. From there, you guide Mae through a variety of self-absorbed, immoral activities that include tampering with crime evidence, shoplifting, and unearthing the coffin of a boy, all with little or no consequence. Although the anthropomorphic cast of Night in the Woods gives the writers leeway to indulge in some cartoonish, unrealistic depictions, the story suggests the supporting characters have real-life concerns, especially pulling one’s own weight, that help the player suspend disbelief. Why, then, do these people — family members, friends, and hard workers — excuse, overlook, or laugh off Mae’s flagrantly selfish and stupid actions?

At one point, it seems Benson and Hockenberry will address this glaring question through Bea, Mae’s childhood friend who has been running a business ever since the death of her mother. Bea confronts Mae’s blase attitude toward dropping out of college: “I stayed here and got older, while you left and stayed the same.” Yet Bea inexplicably goes on to support Mae’s thievery and grave defilement (and for some unknown idiotic reason, the populace of Possum Springs doesn’t care about a decades-old corpse being disrespected). Bea’s dedication doesn’t get rewarded, though: in a late scene, Mae embarrasses Bea with callous disregard, which causes Bea to bring up how she wishes she could have had an opportunity to go to college like Mae, who can’t even offer her good friend a reason as to why she quit school. Bea eventually says Mae is “genuinely a good person,” even though the story has only shown evidence of Mae taking advantage of everyone around her, with no effort toward explaining herself or making a contribution to society.

Developer Infinite Fall also excuses Mae’s deplorable acts by gamifying them. Stealing, destroying property, and stabbing are presented as fun, throwaway minigames. This design choice, coupled with the townspeople’s bizarre lack of criticism for Mae’s egomania, implies that sociopathy should be celebrated, not examined. Even if Night in the Woods had a cogent point, Mae would remain an unflattering caricature of a millennial. Benson and Hockenberry’s writing is unacceptable in light of Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition, which demonstrates how the hardships of a capitalist society give millennials and baby boomers more spiritual connectedness than many realize.

Night in the Woods is at its most tedious when Mae drags all of her friends on a ghost-chasing mission, as it’s fairly obvious from the start that there are no ghosts. Benson and Hockenberry use this setup to reveal that Mae and a clandestine Republican-leaning cult are similarly insane. For connecting mental illness to murder (straight out of Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery”) and all sorts of other unsavory activity, Night in the Woods registers as pandering and cliched Democrat hate on one hand and a demented apology for millennial immaturity on the other.

ok boomer

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

with 300 straight up portraying actual autocratic militaristic psychos as noble

That may be a Frank Miller problem more than a Snyder problem though. At least, back when 300 was released that's how I remember this discussion about how the film portrays the Spartans being framed. It was only Zack Snyder's 2nd film and he didn't have so much baggage on him.

(Disclaimer: I do like 300 but as a ridiculous and utterly dumb turn brain off movie and nothing more)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Frank Miller has a long history of fascistic art and has implied that Greek democracy was only able to be born because of Sparta's fascism.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CRIMES

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

real answer: 300 and BvS are outright might makes right strongman bullshit worship with 300 straight up portraying actual autocratic militaristic psychos as noble and BvS doing the whole 'the process just can't work all the time sometimes you need one brave man armed to the teeth to do what needs to be done' but 'what needs to be done' is 'fight space Jesus' so it is a dulled message I grant.

also while not fascist I'd argue his view of Watchmen was a very...weird one...like the exact opposite of what the comic was about, and paved the way for the god awful HBO show that had some truly sick poo poo.

e: also I forgot, did he do Wonder Woman, because that has some very weird 'actually war is good but only for good reasons' poo poo combined with the typical super hero problem of merging real world events with the 'great man' narrative where you get Diana leading a charge over a trench because the soldiers just needed someone brave enough to tell them to go do the thing (and having magic bracelets helps)

Batman's a villain in BvS. That uncomfortable feeling you get when you see Batman, a character with a storied history, doing the manslaughter and quoting Bush-era rhetoric is on purpose. We're not supposed to agree with him, despite maybe empathizing with his trauma. Same way we're not supposed to relate to the Spartans in a story being told by a Spartan. If it helps, just think of the fantastical, heightened reality of that movie the same way you watch Starship Troopers and laugh at those kitschy propaganda news snippets. It's over-the-top for a reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sexpig by night posted:

I think it's a reach to say that either film are "fascist propaganda." You might have a case for 300, but only if you overlook the framing device of how the whole story is Dilios's self-serving lie. (And if you overlook that that the noble autocratic militaristic psychos are shown building their society on baby skulls.)

BvS seems more of a stretch. Superman exercises his might-makes-right strongman strength at the start of the film, it turns into an international debacle, and he then sticks to pulling people out of burning buildings up until Lex forces the issue. Batman is shown for all his bravery to be a powerless, traumatizes man. He lets himself get played by Lex and nearly recreates his parents murder, but when he instead gives up being "one brave man" to team up with others he helps save the day. That's doesn't read to me like a message that strongman bullshit is good, dulled or otherwise.

You might as well argue that, say, Thor: Ragnarok was fascist propaganda. Maybe the take away was meant to be that Hela's perpetual war of conquest is cool and good, and Waititi just accidentally hosed up by mistakenly having Hela lose at the end.

Besides, didn't anyone tell you? Snyder's superhero films are objectionist propaganda.

sexpig by night posted:

...how the gently caress did you take "actually war is good" away from Wonder Woman?

And no, that was directed by Patty Jenkins.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 2, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If you want to know why the Snyder Chat is exhausting it's because it's the same six points argued indefinitely between people who will never change their minds over personal taste and their own interpretation of art, and if I desperately wanted a circular argument that's been talked to death, reanimated, and stumbled onward I'd go start a debate over editions of Dungeons and Dragons so at least I can pretend to be a buxom elf lass while doing it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you want to know why the Snyder Chat is exhausting it's because it's the same six points argued indefinitely between people who will never change their minds over personal taste and their own interpretation of art, and if I desperately wanted a circular argument that's been talked to death, reanimated, and stumbled onward I'd go start a debate over editions of Dungeons and Dragons so at least I can pretend to be a buxom elf lass while doing it.

Basic was the best edition because it sold the most.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Basic was the best edition because it sold the most.

Well now that would depend on which Basic we're talking about wouldn't it? :smaug:

BECMI is by far the most successful and iconic, a noted improvement over the shaky start of BX, and has perhaps the most iconic PHB cover of any D&D printing. However, the accessibility and efficiency of the Rules Cyclopedia wins out in my heart.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the part of BvS where Batman changes his ways and becomes a good guy now, and then goes to brutalize some more criminal scum in the same exact manner as he was doing before but it’s good and cool now because he’s a good guy now and he saves Superman’s mommy and makes wacky one liners

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Augus posted:

I like the part of BvS where Batman changes his ways and becomes a good guy now, and then goes to brutalize some more criminal scum in the same exact manner as he was doing before but it’s good and cool now because he’s a good guy now and he saves Superman’s mommy and makes wacky one liners

That part is so god drat weird and I cant figure out why Snyder would do that other than he thinks violence is rad, it makes it seem that every reading of his films is mostly Death of the Author by people that subscribe to the auteur theory.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

dbzfandiego posted:

That part is so god drat weird and I cant figure out why Snyder would do that other than he thinks violence is rad, it makes it seem that every reading of his films is mostly Death of the Author by people that subscribe to the auteur theory.

quote:

You could call it "high-brow" comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into "normal" comic books, but I was all like, "No one is having sex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me." I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, "This is more my scene."

You don't have to guess, Snyder has very plainly stated that he doesn't like stuff that doesn't involve sex and killing because it's boring.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Crocoswine posted:

But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison.

What the gently caress this website is like the onion or something right?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Snyder is, in many ways, so stupid that's is easy to see his stupidity as like, intentional irony and read into it. Combine that with a lot of movies with decisions so baffling that they seem to be counterproductive, and it's really easy to read them as way more thoughtful than they actually are.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Leal posted:

What the gently caress this website is like the onion or something right?

Snyder seems to be saying that if he really wanted to make Batman grimdark, he'd have him face real gritty violence instead of the escapist fantasy stuff about Tibet.

Incidentally, he's describing the exact premise of the Japanese manga Shamo, and that was pretty fun.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Snyder is, in many ways, so stupid that's is easy to see his stupidity as like, intentional irony and read into it. Combine that with a lot of movies with decisions so baffling that they seem to be counterproductive, and it's really easy to read them as way more thoughtful than they actually are.

That argument only seems to apply to 300.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ndor posted:

Incidentally, he's describing the exact premise of the Japanese manga Shamo, and that was pretty fun.

God Shamo sucked extremely hard, it had good art but the protag deserved to die miserably the entire way through, because he was nothing more than a samey grimdark rapist with plot armor the vast majority of the thing. God that story was puke and I wish it wasn't, because it honestly made me happy that the manga ended crappily like I felt it deserved by then. So maybe that'd be right up Snyder's dipshit alley.

Also Wonder Woman was always compromised for me because Gal Gadot is an IDF rear end kisser.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 2, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was a big fan of how Wonder Woman's finale completely undoes the entire message of the film as well as collapses its own mythology. Really good work from the studio there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

let's get this thread out on to a tray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OdUgGJJDt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEUaqhz5tvY

nice!

Alaois fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 2, 2020

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Todd keeping up this string of productivity with a new One Hit Wonderland

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been on edge and in a real bad way the last couple days because of everything happening and so this nearly four hour video of my favorite idiots playing my favorite game for idiots is really what I needed right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxRBJAfX07o&hd=1

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
300 is like someone read Edward Said's 'Orientalism' and tried to make an ur-example of the attitude

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

and the script of Night in the Woods pretends that working-class citizens would not call her out for mooching and breaking the law.

Why, then, do these people — family members, friends, and hard workers — excuse, overlook, or laugh off Mae’s flagrantly selfish and stupid actions?

Yet Bea inexplicably goes on to support Mae’s thievery

they let just about anyone set up a wordpress and just write deliberately inaccurate reviews huh

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

sexpig by night posted:

Watchmen is something I always wanted to go back and reread. I king of took away a slightly more hopeful tone. Like, Ozymandias' speech about how much people suck in the end is overlayed with a crowd trying to stop a women from killing her girlfriend. Like...Even though bad poo poo keeps happening in the eyes of people who have to look at the worst of humanity everyday , people are generally good overall and deserve more faith. Something along those lines.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 2, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not a big fan of the whole dress up thing he and Contra do, but I always find their videos interesting. I always end up going away with things to read up on.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

bessantj posted:

I'm not a big fan of the whole dress up thing he and Contra do, but I always find their videos interesting. I always end up going away with things to read up on.

I always liked the dress up parts of their acts. I've seen still's of COntra's last video of her as a ring master and Hell Yes! But I kind of wish more people did it for other than social topics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Watchmen is something I always wanted to go back and reread. I king of took away a slightly more hopeful tone. Like, Ozymandias' speech about how much people suck in the end is overlayed with a crowd trying to stop a women from killing her girlfriend. Like...Even though bad poo poo keeps happening in the eyes of people who have to look at the worst of humanity everyday , people are generally good overall and deserve more faith. Something along those lines.
Those are also the people Ozymandias murders for his temporary peace.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

BigRed0427 posted:

Watchmen is definitely worth a re-read. It knows that Ozymandius is a shithead, and having a millionaire WASP rant about how he needs to kill people for the greater good being inter-cut with scenes of said people living thier lives makes a pretty powerful point.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I always liked the dress up parts of their acts. I've seen still's of COntra's last video of her as a ring master and Hell Yes! But I kind of wish more people did it for other than social topics.

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority on the dress up thing, people love it, I have no doubt the content creators love it as well and I don't begrudge anyone that does. It's just me being a bit :corsair:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

yea the point of Watchmen is that the vigilantes are absolutely loving crazy and useless for any problem more complex than 'mobster Joe took the mayor's daughter hostage!!!!'. Ozymandias' speech is indeed meant to be contrasted by normal people coming together to both fight for a better world and protect each other, ya know the thing he thinks they need vigilantes to do for them. Then he kills them all, because he genuinely doesn't give a poo poo about them as anything but props and sources of praise. Moore is a weird old wizard man but I do think at the end of the day he's an optimist, if maybe a curmudgeonly one, and Watchmen speaks to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

I was a big fan of how Wonder Woman's finale completely undoes the entire message of the film as well as collapses its own mythology. Really good work from the studio there.

Well, it could have been worse. We could have Joss Whedon's movie which undoes the entire message of Wonder Woman starting with the script.