Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bright sucked, but I definitely think I would have forgotten I watched it entirely if it wasn't constantly being talked about by fans of "world building" fantasy stuff. It just ain't worth that much thought. It sucked, was either racist or just had an incompetent understanding of racism, and I don't really remember what happened. Will Smith and an Orc helped an elf get a wand or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't seen it mentioned since it came out until now, because the director was a guy people were already talking about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well "constantly" is probably overkill. But it definitely seems to pop up in conversation every now and then amongst fans of fantasy and sci-fi and I just don't feel its worth the energy. But I guess some people went in with expectations just based on the idea of the world building or something.

I'm not saying they're wrong. I guess I'm just being an rear end and saying I don't care about Bright. My bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My problem with Bright was that the concept is supposed to be fantastic elements making mundane events seem more interesting, not mundane events making fantastic elements seem boring.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I thought it was ok, but I also watched it on my second monitor while doing paper work, ie the best way to watch mediocre movies.
Got me through all the marvel Netflix stuff too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bright was a huge mess and a big part of that was the world building. It made absolutely no sense even at a casual glance and that in turn devalued any sort of message it was going for because it was so muddled. And the actual message it was going for seemed entirely incoherent at best and genuinely racist at worst.

But trying to do a story about racism without realizing racism is a major part of society is like... completely inept screenwriting. Will Smith references Shrek! Shrek exists in this world of literal fantasy beings! Is it actual some super offensive racist cartoon in that world and Will Smith calling someone "Shrek-rear end looking" like significantly more racist than it would be in our world? Who knows! They couldn't be bothered to even consider pop culture despite the major impact pop culture plays on these things.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ayers showed a real knack for world-building in Fury.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

SlimGoodbody posted:

No, it really was bafflingly tone deaf, awful, and poorly executed.

That's the default state of a Netflix Original to be honest.

But somehow everybody here has seen Bright and is obsessed with it.

Like STAC Goat says, maybe just not waste so much energy on Netflix Originals? It's only gonna encourage them to make more.

Don't be the guy who's mad that the movie doesn't properly use Shrek (2001) for nuanced world-building :v:

ndor fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 2, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's been some good Netflix Originals.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

You know I'd never thought I'd see one of the main setting problems with Shadowrun in a movie.

Bright is a completely shameless Shadowrun ripoff that removes Shadowrun's rather clever worldbuilding and replaces it with crap. Every idea Max Landis has ever had is a transparent ripoff of something better.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah my biggest complaint with Bright is that it lazily farted out something that I've wanted to see for ages and now if my hopes and dreams do come true and we get a Black Mirror esq exploration of the Shadowrun world people are gonna dismiss it as a ripoff of that racist Netflix OrcCop movie.

At least I have Westworld....

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Bright is a completely shameless Shadowrun ripoff that removes Shadowrun's rather clever worldbuilding and replaces it with crap. Every idea Max Landis has ever had is a transparent ripoff of something better.

At least Chronicle was pretty good.

You should hear his Space Mountain movie pitch though. I'm pretty sure he got the idea from Event Horizon: the Space Mountain coaster is an experimental FTL ship that turns every people who go on it into monsters because the human soul cannot travel faster than light.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dan Didio posted:

There's been some good Netflix Originals.

Santa Clarita Diet for one (which was cancelled for no loving reason).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Hell yeah, Timothy Olyphant loving kills it in that show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
In terms of mashing up a modern setting with fantastical elements, Dimension 20: Fantasy High does it a whole lot better than both Bright and Onward.

I just really love Fantasy High.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vintersorg posted:

Losing that and The Tick so close together sucked.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg2M_s5wNPs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Losing that and The Tick so close together sucked.

poo poo they canceled the tick?!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Soonmot posted:

poo poo they canceled the tick?!

According to Griffin Newman, no show in the history of broadcasting has ever been as cancelled as The Tick.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's been a few articles about but basically streaming services tend to cancel shows after 2 or 3 seasons because at that point they aren't bringing in new subscribers and that's literally all they care about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Retro Futurist posted:

There's been a few articles about but basically streaming services tend to cancel shows after 2 or 3 seasons because at that point they aren't bringing in new subscribers and that's literally all they care about.
So what happens when the market reaches saturation? Or am I doing that thing where I'm not trusting the wisdom of the stock market again?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Or what about when I cancel my subscription because they cancelled all my favorite shows!

Though I haven't exactly done that...

I guess I just answered my own question...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

See, I don't even mind this if that's the plan going in. Tell the show creators they have three seasons, let them tell a full story without setting up poo poo for a season 4 that'll never come.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Ayers showed a real knack for world-building in Fury.

Well, regardless of anything else, a massive amount of the blame is on Max Landis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Soonmot posted:

See, I don't even mind this if that's the plan going in. Tell the show creators they have three seasons, let them tell a full story without setting up poo poo for a season 4 that'll never come.

The only show they've given the courtesy call to is Bojack Horseman, because it's by far one of their most successful shows and the creator specifically asked.

Everyone else just gets the rug pulled out from under them, which doesn't pair well with the fact that modern TV shows tend to be structured like extremely long films. The only thing worse than a 14 hour movie is a 14 hour movie without an ending.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well, regardless of anything else, a massive amount of the blame is on Max Landis.

Feel like that's true of everything in the world.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Honestly? I think if the showrunners can't tell a complete and satisfying story in 14 hours, that's their problem and not the streaming services'.

And this seems to be only limited to American shows. Maybe American showrunners are still used to traditional broadcasting, where you're only considered successful if your show has several seasons with dozens of episodes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ndor posted:

Honestly? I think if the showrunners can't tell a complete and satisfying story in 14 hours, that's their problem and not the streaming services'.

What

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 5, 2020

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Tne entirety of Blackadder is shorter than that if you don't count the specials.

14 hours is plenty of time to tell a story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ndor posted:

And this seems to be only limited to American shows. Maybe American showrunners are still used to traditional broadcasting, where you're only considered successful if your show has several seasons with dozens of episodes.

Gonna assume Netflix and other streaming services have an interest in these shows being successful and getting multiple seasons.

Edit - Like, sure, 14 hours is more than enough time to tell almost any story, but I assume that leaving things open for more seasons isn't just the showrunner assuming they're getting more seasons based on nothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ndor posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that showrunners often won't find out their show is ending until after they've finished making a season.

ndor
Jan 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that showrunners often won't find out their show is ending until after they've finished making a season.

That sucks for them. But even that only happens because they assume that their series needs more than one season. Korean television for example is usually only made with one season in mind and that's all.

There are countless shows only got really going in their second or third season, but maybe that's also just a mindset problem. If there's no guarantee of continuation, maybe showrunners can just make the most out of the one season they do have?

Of course this can't be a one-way street, because streaming services need to be upfront about this instead of jerking creators around.

So if every show was approached as a miniseries with just a possibility for continuation, this problem could probably be avoided all-together.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

ndor fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 5, 2020

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't that the same as pretty much every show in history though, at least before shows like Game of Thrones? TV miniseries used to be a thing on US TV to tell a big epic story while still wrapping it up with a one shot budget.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Isn't that the same as pretty much every show in history though, at least before shows like Game of Thrones? TV miniseries used to be a thing on US TV to tell a big epic story while still wrapping it up with a one shot budget.

With traditional broadcasting seasons, television show producers usually get real time ratings input from previous episodes while they're shooting and writing future episodes. They usually have a pretty good idea whether they're on the cancellation bubble or not, if not always whether they will be renewed or cancelled. Sometimes, but not always, they find out they've been cancelled in time to craft the last few episodes into a meaningful epilogue.

Netflix dumps the entire season onto their platform at once, and doesn't share anything like reliable ratings data with showrunners; they're famously mysterious about their internal metrics. They also don't tell people when to expect to find out whether they're getting renewed or not; a lot of shows have found out they were cancelled when they didn't hear anything for such a long time that they had to cut people loose from their contracts and became defacto cancelled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Netflix dumps the entire season onto their platform at once, and doesn't share anything like reliable ratings data with showrunners; they're famously mysterious about their internal metrics. They also don't tell people when to expect to find out whether they're getting renewed or not; a lot of shows have found out they were cancelled when they didn't hear anything for such a long time that they had to cut people loose from their contracts and became defacto cancelled.

Yeah, a good example is The Dragon Prince and by all accounts save possibly Netflix's did well. It's up for an Emmy. Is it renewed for season four? Who knows!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

With traditional broadcasting seasons, television show producers usually get real time ratings input from previous episodes while they're shooting and writing future episodes. They usually have a pretty good idea whether they're on the cancellation bubble or not, if not always whether they will be renewed or cancelled. Sometimes, but not always, they find out they've been cancelled in time to craft the last few episodes into a meaningful epilogue.

I just listed to the Scrubs podcast talk a little about this. A lot of shows on network TV will get scripts approved and made into pilots. Pilots get tested, shown before an executive board and then shown to select audiences. (My family was mailed a pilot of a sitcom that went nowhere when I was a kid. Bad show.) If both the executives and test audiences like the show, it will get picked up for a run of 10-13 episodes. If the ratings and feedback are good, then the show will get approved for the "back 9" - the final 9 episodes to complete the premier season. If not, then those first 13 are all that gets made and the show dies in obscurity. If it does really poorly there's no guarantee that all of those episodes will air.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, a good example is The Dragon Prince and by all accounts save possibly Netflix's did well. It's up for an Emmy. Is it renewed for season four? Who knows!
Is this poo poo why all the recent cartoon shows people are into seem to be constantly hollering about new episodes appearing at what seem to be completely arbitrary intervals, or is that an unrelated phenomena?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think that's just because of how much longer they take to produce.

Split seasons keeps the audience remembering them and interested instead of a 2 year break.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nessus posted:

Is this poo poo why all the recent cartoon shows people are into seem to be constantly hollering about new episodes appearing at what seem to be completely arbitrary intervals, or is that an unrelated phenomena?

it kinda depends on the show, she-ra for example, is a netflix show basically aired every six months but practically every season is actually one half of a whole story arc. and then you have steven universe on cartoon network which started out with regular seasons, and then CN just kind decided they would dump like 6 episodes at once, and then a month and a half break, and then a 4 episode dump, and then 3 month break, etc etc and even though it was a very popular show CN just never gave a poo poo about letting it have any kind of sane airing schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The "binge" model is honestly really bad for keeping shows relevant, just dumping entire seasons on your platform at once instead of creating a conversation as the story develops and allowing an audience to build is probably responsible for a lot of shows failing to build meaningful audiences and being forgotten about. The Mandalorian was definitely special due to how high-profile it is, but I really doubt it would have dominated the cultural conversation the way it did without being weekly.