Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Timby posted:

The one I remember is Batgirl dying, Jim Gordon finding out who Bruce is (I think Alfred gets shot?), and then Bane kicks the everloving poo poo out of Batman.

Wasn't the end of that episode where it's revealed it was all a fever dream from Barbara while she's bleeding out or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

She got fear gassed by Scarecrow

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Over the Edge I remember being far and away the best New Adventures episode. But also y'all have made me realize that my 11 year old self probably didn't know what he was talking about when it came to the animation style change indicating a quality drop.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, Over the Edge I remember being far and away the best New Adventures episode. But also y'all have made me realize that my 11 year old self probably didn't know what he was talking about when it came to the animation style change indicating a quality drop.

I will say there are some DUFF episodes in the New Adventures and there's a lot more censorship but over all it's just as good as what came before. There are moments where it shines.

The designs just aren't as good for the most part. Scarecrow is a big improvement tho

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Adventures has the episode with the woman seeking the orgasm and gets one via the end with Batman, OBVIOUSLY, Over the Edge, which was just mindblowing as a kid, Mad Love, Legends of the Dark Knight (the first Dark Knight Returns adaptation), the episode with Robin makes a friend with an aspect of Clayface that gains sentience and then ends up getting absorbed, the best Scarface episode, etc. It had by far the best ratio of good episodes and went deeper and darker than anything but the singular standouts of other seasons more consistently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

New Adventures has the episode with the woman seeking the orgasm and gets one via the end with Batman, OBVIOUSLY, Over the Edge, which was just mindblowing as a kid, Mad Love, Legends of the Dark Knight (the first Dark Knight Returns adaptation), the episode with Robin makes a friend with an aspect of Clayface that gains sentience and then ends up getting absorbed, the best Scarface episode, etc. It had by far the best ratio of good episodes and went deeper and darker than anything but the singular standouts of other seasons more consistently.

The issue there is that you mentioned the singular standouts of the entire New Adventures section there. There is a reason that Over The Edge and the Clayface episode are the ones that get brought up constantly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Critters is the best Batman story of all time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roth posted:

Critters rules. It's so goofy, would fit right in as an episode of Batman '66.

(Friendly reminder that more time has passed since Batman TAS to the present than the gap of time between Batman '66 and BTAS and we are all dust in the wind.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

The censorship I speak of is regular criminals being featured and more realistic problems/villains.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Roth posted:

What was the Critters ep quote from the dad to his daughter? Always check your shoes and the money? It's silly, but so true.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Superman: The Animated Series had some bangers too.

The Late Mr. Kent, pretty much anything that involved the New Gods, the World's Finest episodes where Lois and Batman are set to be wedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04xWjjgqos

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Burkion posted:

The censorship I speak of is regular criminals being featured and more realistic problems/villains.

Possibly, though I do wonder how much of that might just be stylistic choices/running out of ideas for those. There does seem to be a bit of a Long Halloween esque theme of traditional organised crime being gradually edged out by bombastic supervillainy.

Justice League vs The Fatal Five was interesting, and seems a counterpoint to the DCAU's portrayal of mental illness; the new Lantern is shown struggling with PTSD, while Starboy explicitly has schizophrenia and it's not at all related to his powers or something that turns him evil, but an actual mental disability that causes him a lot of problems, including not having access to his medication when taken back in time. Also he spends some time in Arkham and actually seems to do okay, even befriending Harvey.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I have a few days left on my Disney+ trial and I wanna watch Infinity War and Endgame but the only MCU movies I've seen are Iron Man 1-3, Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok and the original Avengers. If I had all the time in the world I would watch them all eventually but I don't so are there any movies I should watch before watching Infinity War to not be too lost? I'm looking at the poster for IW and I don't recognize like half+ of them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I have a few days left on my Disney+ trial and I wanna watch Infinity War and Endgame but the only MCU movies I've seen are Iron Man 1-3, Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok and the original Avengers. If I had all the time in the world I would watch them all eventually but I don't so are there any movies I should watch before watching Infinity War to not be too lost? I'm looking at the poster for IW and I don't recognize like half+ of them.

As far as I know, Avengers 2 is where Vision was introduced and one of the Infinity Gems is part of the story. The GOTG crew also plays a significant part in IW and Endgame. Ant-Man actually helps kickstart the story of Endgame.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GotG is pretty necessary for the IW films. You also probably want to watch the Captain America films and AoU. Most of the films get referenced in some way but I don't know how much it matters if you haven't seen them.

Dan Didio posted:

Superman: The Animated Series had some bangers too.

The Late Mr. Kent, pretty much anything that involved the New Gods, the World's Finest episodes where Lois and Batman are set to be wedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04xWjjgqos
I really liked Superman TAS. Most of the villains are compelling and develop over a couple of episodes, there's some continuous threads with Clark and the animation is pretty good throughout. The batman crossover episodes were probably the biggest standouts to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Superman series gave us Gilbert Godfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk for which I will be eternally grateful.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

The Superman series gave us Gilbert Godfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk for which I will be eternally grateful.

Also taught me how to pronounce Mxyzptlk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lois grew really attracted to him once she found out Clark always knows how to find the kltpzyxm

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The issue there is that you mentioned the singular standouts of the entire New Adventures section there. There is a reason that Over The Edge and the Clayface episode are the ones that get brought up constantly.
Nah, Holiday Knights is a Christmas classic.
Never Fear is a cool concept
There's a really good run from Double Talk to Growing Pains with a bunch of solid episodes
Old Wounds, Beware the Creeper, Legend of the Dark Knight...

There are maybe one or two actively lovely episodes. It never reaches the highs of even S:TAS and the design work went way too in the opposite direction, but it's really good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't he reprise that role in a more recent animated thing?

He was also a villain in the live action Superboy TV show.

I don't know if he would do it, but he needs a supporting role in a DCU film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I should watch S:TAS from the start.

The interesting thing with the better incarnations of Superman is that he's not Big Blue Daddy but an actual person, and he's got principles, annoyances, and a sense of humour and a mischievous streak, (beating Mr Mxyzpltk at his own game and all) quite happy to use his powers to mess with people a bit as well as hide his identity. The Silver Age version is fun because he had character, and actually played off Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen well. It says something about filmmaking and modern storytelling that almost everything Superman has massively backslid on writing Superman's supporting cast, to the point of having zero idea what to do with them at times.

I really want to see an official Superman vs Goku one of these days, because written well it would actually be really interesting- the characters have their similarities, but the ways they differ would make it really funny. (and for the purposes of the crossover, assume they're roughly equal in power at the time)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be pretty fun to toss Superman somewhere around after the Vegeta saga, before Goku heads to Namek. I feel like that's probably roughly around where your average version of Superman would be roughly equal to Goku

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Didn't he reprise that role in a more recent animated thing?

He was also a villain in the live action Superboy TV show.

He definitely comes across like the kind of guy who will be in almost anything if you ask him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was in an episode of the Angry Video Game nerd so yes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Supporting, nothing! The DCU should just adapt the episode where Superman hilariously makes Mxyzptlk spell his name a dozen times, effortlessly outsmarting him at every turn and endlessly frustrating him. No bigger conflict, no teamup, no crossover, no melodrama. Just do that for 2 hours and everything that came before will be forgiven.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gottfried rules and I almost puked from laughter watching him in person a few years ago. His documentary is freaking amazing though - he's a great man.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has a fairly interesting podcast work listening to when he has a good guest

How to tell if it's a good guest: if it's some 80 year old new York guy you've never heard of, that's going to be a good guest

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I should watch S:TAS from the start.

It's really good, personally, I view it more favourably than Batman: The Animated Series, but both shows did a really good job of humanising the protagonists, the bit in The World's Finest Part 2 where Batman points out that Lois loves Bruce Wayne, when he's actually Batman, and Superman, when he's actually Clark Kent, but hates the other other half of both is one of the best summations of the respective characters possible.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Silver Age is not "fun". It was a bunch of kiddie poo poo that saddled Superman with the reputation of being a boring boy scout who can't be beat. As a Superman fan, I tried to read some of the comics of that period and they are so obviously power fantasies for children and targeted to 10 year olds that I had to give it up.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I'm not much of a comic book person but I find the Silver Age Jimmy Olsens and Lois Lanes that I've read pretty fun – Superman is basically just a huge rear end in a top hat 99% of the time and constantly doing horrible things to his friends to "teach them lessons," it rules.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

All the classic superdickery happened in the Golden Age? That's the Superman I always try to picture when people talk about a Superman that isn't a boring boy scout, I just picture covers like the one where he is pouring out the last pitcher of water in front of Jimmy Olson and Aquaman, in the middle of a desert

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Silver Age is not "fun". It was a bunch of kiddie poo poo that saddled Superman with the reputation of being a boring boy scout who can't be beat. As a Superman fan, I tried to read some of the comics of that period and they are so obviously power fantasies for children and targeted to 10 year olds that I had to give it up.

lol, what the gently caress, someone snuck a bunch of childish power fantasies into these silver age comic books

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He didn't even snap anyone's neck!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Maybe not but it's the implied threat if you don't marry that monkey

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Has a fairly interesting podcast work listening to when he has a good guest

How to tell if it's a good guest: if it's some 80 year old new York guy you've never heard of, that's going to be a good guest

It's my favorite podcast. He'll get these old theater/Broadway people I've never heard of and they have these crazy stories. I think one of the funniest moments from the show is the Matthew Broderick interview.

Broderick was doing a Broadway show in NYC. In between shows, he runs over to the recording studio to do the show, and literally the first thing out of Gottfried's mouth: "I fuckin hate Ferris Bueller's Day Off because I hate the character."

It was pure gold.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For some reason I thought he'd turned into a giant chud. But I guess he managed to avoid it unlike the majority of his contemporaries?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Almost Blue posted:

I'm not much of a comic book person but I find the Silver Age Jimmy Olsens and Lois Lanes that I've read pretty fun – Superman is basically just a huge rear end in a top hat 99% of the time and constantly doing horrible things to his friends to "teach them lessons," it rules.

He's also ludicrously neurotic. Reminded of the story where he uses time travel to become a DJ instead of a reporter to avoid his crazy stalker Lois Lane, but she finds him anyway.

Dan Didio posted:

It's really good, personally, I view it more favourably than Batman: The Animated Series, but both shows did a really good job of humanising the protagonists, the bit in The World's Finest Part 2 where Batman points out that Lois loves Bruce Wayne, when he's actually Batman, and Superman, when he's actually Clark Kent, but hates the other other half of both is one of the best summations of the respective characters possible.

'Too bad we can't mix and match'. It is interesting how well they quickly come to understand each other. I still say an unspoken element is Bruce Wayne is basically Lex Luthor with redeeming features, and Superman recognises that but sure as hell doesn't want to outright say it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dan Didio posted:

lol, what the gently caress, someone snuck a bunch of childish power fantasies into these silver age comic books

They aren't good stories, though, unless you also think random ramblings of my six year old are good because they are so wacked out. (Superman Will Make You Marry a Monkey is honestly something he would cook up)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They aren't good stories, though, unless you also think random ramblings of my six year old are good because they are so wacked out. (Superman Will Make You Marry a Monkey is honestly something he would cook up)

I mean, Axe Cop is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, Axe Cop is a thing.

a not very entertaining thing once the novelty of it wears off