Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CrazySalamander posted:

The definition of white changes over the years- for example people of Irish descent were not originally considered white.

Whoa that's a new one on me. I knew they were terribly oppressed along with Italians and others. I lived in Boston for a few years and picked up a lot about that, but yeah, not white? Got a good link about that?

Busy Bee posted:

I bought a monitor stand recently and the back mount does not fit perfectly with the back of my monitor.

https://imgur.com/a/HXEms1W

A good pair of tinsnips could make short work of that, or maybe even good (like pro linesman quality) wirecutters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Whoa that's a new one on me. I knew they were terribly oppressed along with Italians and others. I lived in Boston for a few years and picked up a lot about that, but yeah, not white? Got a good link about that?

It's not really true, or at least it depends on a particular definition of whiteness. Book here: "How the Irish Became White" and discussion of contemporaneous laws here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...jews-and-so-on/

...otherwise it would have been literally illegal for Irish to have married British Americans...

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

AlbieQuirky posted:

It’s a short story called The Man Without a Country, by Edward Everett Hale. It is entirely fictional.

Thanks! I'd forgotten it was fiction, so that explains why I couldn't find it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Someone explained to me the whole non-hispanic checkbox thing we have in the US at one point in a way that didn't sound insane, but I forgot wtf it was so it still sounds insane. There was some weird, but super utilitarian reason behind it but there is no way it wasn't probably dumb and racist.

well part of it is that there are hispanic people of all races (black hispanics mainly from the caribbean, white hispanics from all over depending on when their ancestors arrived to start killing natives, asian hispanics, etc), and the societal conditions for two people of the same race where one is hispanic and one isn't might be different, so it's useful to know, even if only to know that this group of people of whatever race will need government services in spanish

they do let you check multiple race boxes (I check white and asian) so they could add hispanic there but I think the view is that "hispanic" is a linguistic classification rather than a racial one, although if you live in let's say texas the vast majority of hispanic people you know are going to be mexican so that will make you automatically think hispanic = brown

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

although if you live in let's say texas the vast majority of hispanic people you know are going to be mexican so that will make you automatically think hispanic = brown

not only are there hispanic people of all races, there are also mexican people of all races. it's a nationality not a race, there are white mexicans and black mexicans and asian mexicans, but a majority of those who emigrate to the us are of mixed native american descent. there are also many hispanic people in the southwestern states who are native american, spanish speakers, have spanish surnames, and who's families come from the us, not mexico. this comes from spanish colonization and the mission system.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 31, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Plenty of hispanic people don’t speak Spanish.

It’s also possible to speak Spanish as a first language without identifying as hispanic.

The census form doesn’t ask about language, but the American Community Survey administered by the Census Bureau does.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Badger of Basra posted:

well part of it is that there are hispanic people of all races (black hispanics mainly from the caribbean, white hispanics from all over depending on when their ancestors arrived to start killing natives, asian hispanics, etc), and the societal conditions for two people of the same race where one is hispanic and one isn't might be different, so it's useful to know, even if only to know that this group of people of whatever race will need government services in spanish

they do let you check multiple race boxes (I check white and asian) so they could add hispanic there but I think the view is that "hispanic" is a linguistic classification rather than a racial one, although if you live in let's say texas the vast majority of hispanic people you know are going to be mexican so that will make you automatically think hispanic = brown

Race isn't a thing. That "black hispanics" are "black" is completely arbitrary, they're only "the same race" because some racist in the 1700s decided so

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Back in the day, I used to make animated videos using Macromedia Flash, which had a super idiotproof frame by frame system for drawing and animating videos. Is there a modern day equivalent to that?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Bioshuffle posted:

Back in the day, I used to make animated videos using Macromedia Flash, which had a super idiotproof frame by frame system for drawing and animating videos. Is there a modern day equivalent to that?

Pirate Adobe Animate.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Race isn't a thing. That "black hispanics" are "black" is completely arbitrary, they're only "the same race" because some racist in the 1700s decided so

sure but if we're talking about filling out forms that ask you about it, seems relevant to talk about it

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Over the past few months since lockdown I've tried following various Youtube workout programmes, and have only recently discovered that "the burn" does not mean a motivational, spirited energy, but some sort of ache or uncomfortable feeling in a muscle. I have never felt this feeling, and I believe it to be an important thing in improving one's body, and now I am completely demotivated because I don't know how to experience this feeling.

I am not a fit person, so it cannot be that these workouts (I've mostly been following Chloe Ting, but others too, usually along the same vein) are too easy for me. Additionally, I have experienced exhaustion to the point of sickness, especially when I had just started. While googling this issue, almost every result told me I was not working hard enough, but I often struggle to complete a session, especially if it's an hour-long thing.

A friend told me that I should strain to tighten the relevant muscle while working out, so I tried this, waited a day, and still did not feel the burn. Recently I went on a bike ride with my brother-in-law who was also aware of my problem- after a steep bank he asked me if I had felt the burn, because he did, but though he is significantly fitter than me, and I was gasping for breath while he was relatively fine, I did not feel a burn.

I haven't made any effort to change my diet because I believe that I eat fairly cleanly; I eat meat 2-3 times a week, rarely snack except for on apples and satsumas, rarely eat cheese (maybe once a week), and cook all of my evening meals using fresh ingredients.

Maybe this is an e/n post in disguise, but I find it terribly frustrating and upsetting that I've spent so much time doing the wrong thing, and now I'm upset because I've completely stopped working out, and whenever I try to get back into it, all I can think about is this lack of feeling, and then I usually quickly give up. I have no idea what I'm not doing that everyone else is apparently doing with such ease that I seem to be the only person on the internet with this problem. Goons, please tell me how I can feel a burn so that I can get over this!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I am fairly fit and I wouldn't say I ever feel "the burn" during a workout, but I do feel delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS after a good lifting sesh (I do not get DOMS after things like biking although i imagine you could if your biking muscles are really new). However I think you only really get DOMS if you push real hard, like lifting weight that is a significant challenge for you to lift 5 times. This is kind of hard to do at home with bodyweight-only exercises. So it's possible you are getting decent workouts without getting DOMS.

idk honestly ask in YLLS, they are good with workout type things.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Chatrapati posted:

Over the past few months since lockdown I've tried following various Youtube workout programmes, and have only recently discovered that "the burn" does not mean a motivational, spirited energy, but some sort of ache or uncomfortable feeling in a muscle. I have never felt this feeling, and I believe it to be an important thing in improving one's body, and now I am completely demotivated because I don't know how to experience this feeling.

I am not a fit person, so it cannot be that these workouts (I've mostly been following Chloe Ting, but others too, usually along the same vein) are too easy for me. Additionally, I have experienced exhaustion to the point of sickness, especially when I had just started. While googling this issue, almost every result told me I was not working hard enough, but I often struggle to complete a session, especially if it's an hour-long thing.

A friend told me that I should strain to tighten the relevant muscle while working out, so I tried this, waited a day, and still did not feel the burn. Recently I went on a bike ride with my brother-in-law who was also aware of my problem- after a steep bank he asked me if I had felt the burn, because he did, but though he is significantly fitter than me, and I was gasping for breath while he was relatively fine, I did not feel a burn.

I haven't made any effort to change my diet because I believe that I eat fairly cleanly; I eat meat 2-3 times a week, rarely snack except for on apples and satsumas, rarely eat cheese (maybe once a week), and cook all of my evening meals using fresh ingredients.

Maybe this is an e/n post in disguise, but I find it terribly frustrating and upsetting that I've spent so much time doing the wrong thing, and now I'm upset because I've completely stopped working out, and whenever I try to get back into it, all I can think about is this lack of feeling, and then I usually quickly give up. I have no idea what I'm not doing that everyone else is apparently doing with such ease that I seem to be the only person on the internet with this problem. Goons, please tell me how I can feel a burn so that I can get over this!

How your body feels in response to exercise is a very personal thing and varies depending on your level of fitness, but if you're getting to exhaustion then you're probably Feeling The Burn™, though it may be masked by other feelings of miserableness. If you want to try to isolate the feeling, then sit down and relax, pick a muscle and clench it as tight as you can until you want to stop then keep on going: it's that feeling of the muscle getting tired and begging you to stop that is generally the sensation people talk about. But in general exercise, since you're new it may be that other parts of you (like your cardio fitness) are stopping you before you can push your muscles beyond that point.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

alnilam posted:

I am fairly fit and I wouldn't say I ever feel "the burn" during a workout, but I do feel delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS after a good lifting sesh (I do not get DOMS after things like biking although i imagine you could if your biking muscles are really new). However I think you only really get DOMS if you push real hard, like lifting weight that is a significant challenge for you to lift 5 times. This is kind of hard to do at home with bodyweight-only exercises. So it's possible you are getting decent workouts without getting DOMS.

idk honestly ask in YLLS, they are good with workout type things.

You're right, I should have asked in YLLS; I thought it was just a fashion forum! Finding the right place to post on SA is tricky because it is so large. I never thought about the biking thing, I cycle more often than my brother-in-law (just for transport, not exercise) even though he's fitter than me, so perhaps that's why he felt the burn but did not feel as tired.

dupersaurus posted:

How your body feels in response to exercise is a very personal thing and varies depending on your level of fitness, but if you're getting to exhaustion then you're probably Feeling The Burn™, though it may be masked by other feelings of miserableness. If you want to try to isolate the feeling, then sit down and relax, pick a muscle and clench it as tight as you can until you want to stop then keep on going: it's that feeling of the muscle getting tired and begging you to stop that is generally the sensation people talk about. But in general exercise, since you're new it may be that other parts of you (like your cardio fitness) are stopping you before you can push your muscles beyond that point.

I think this might be the advice I wanted to hear. Hopefully it is my lack of cardio fitness which is preventing me from experiencing this feeling, I suspect I am unfit in that area as I quickly run out of breath when I exert myself, and once I am finished with a youtube exercise routine I usually collapse on the floor. I don't quite understand how having a more functional cardiovascular system would enable me to push muscles beyond a certain point, but I can appreciate that it is probably true. I'll work on this for a couple of months before returning to youtube tutorials again, and if I still manage to fail I'll post in YLLS about it.

Cheers guys

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

YLLS is the right spot to check.

I don’t know what sort of video exercises you are doing, but you would probably benefit from a workout partner to make sure you are doing the exercises with proper form. It’s easy to unwittingly “cheat” exercises, so you don’t get much out of them apart from some light cardio. Doing push-ups without keeping the back straight and parallel to the ground is a classic example of this. Much easier! Less exercise! It can be hard to notice this without a partner (or mirror) to spot.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
If French Guiana is fully integrated into the French state and has, as far as I can tell, the same status as any department in Metropolitan France, why does it seem to be labeled like a different country on maps, or at best labeled “French Guiana (France)” whereas Alaska and Hawaii are often labeled “U.S.A”?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cartographers are nothing if not militantly inconsistent.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I was thinking of starting a "the best windows freeware that you never heard of and didn't know you needed (till now)" thread. (I desperately need a constructive diversion that'll get my mind off current events for a while). Is there already something like that somewhere?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I was thinking of starting a "the best windows freeware that you never heard of and didn't know you needed (till now)" thread. (I desperately need a constructive diversion that'll get my mind off current events for a while). Is there already something like that somewhere?

How close is this?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921033

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

If French Guiana is fully integrated into the French state and has, as far as I can tell, the same status as any department in Metropolitan France, why does it seem to be labeled like a different country on maps, or at best labeled “French Guiana (France)” whereas Alaska and Hawaii are often labeled “U.S.A”?

Come to the maps thread and get your exclave on.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

One of his book titles is even The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

I loved this book but Sacks had a real goofy voicing when he would give dialogue to the people in his stories. They all talked basically like Sacks, which is like a streetsmart newsie from the 20s.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I haven't had coffee in about a monthish. Today I had essentially 2 cups in one go with a new blend I've never had before. I'm breaking out in mega hives which has never happened before with coffee or caffeine. Did I just blast my system and I'm having a reaction or is there a chance I just developed a coffee allergy in the span of a month? I'm gonna be so mad if coffee fucks me up from now on.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

George H.W. oval office posted:

I haven't had coffee in about a monthish. Today I had essentially 2 cups in one go with a new blend I've never had before. I'm breaking out in mega hives which has never happened before with coffee or caffeine. Did I just blast my system and I'm having a reaction or is there a chance I just developed a coffee allergy in the span of a month? I'm gonna be so mad if coffee fucks me up from now on.

While it is possible develop and lose allergies, I would be wary of jumping to this conclusion. You did say it was a new blend you hadn't tried, so maybe it's something in the blend itself. Wait for the hives to go down and then try a cup of a favorite blend. If you still get a reaction, you will then want to get an allergy test to confirm if it's the coffee or caffeine.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Possibly there was too much blended cockroach in your coffee.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I remember reading an account of European explorers who were greeted by the locals when they landed (I think somewhere in the Americas) and treated with great hospitality. What they didn’t know is that the locals’ custom demanded that the visitors present gifts at the end of the stay and were incensed when they tried to leave without giving gifts. Where could this have been?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Alright I'm finally sick enough of wildly inconsistent volume levels coming from my TV that I'm willing to spend money to fix it.

I'm talking about how you're watching a movie and the dialogue is literally too quiet to hear but the explosion is as loud as an actual explosion. One tv show has to be turned way up to hear it, then you switch to a game and it deafens you because your sound is up so high.

How do people usually fix this? Or is it just one of those unsolvable problems?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Manager Hoyden posted:

Alright I'm finally sick enough of wildly inconsistent volume levels coming from my TV that I'm willing to spend money to fix it.

I'm talking about how you're watching a movie and the dialogue is literally too quiet to hear but the explosion is as loud as an actual explosion. One tv show has to be turned way up to hear it, then you switch to a game and it deafens you because your sound is up so high.

I had that problem and bought a sound bar. It has mostly solved that problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've just taken to turning on captions all the time. IDGAF.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I remember reading an account of European explorers who were greeted by the locals when they landed (I think somewhere in the Americas) and treated with great hospitality. What they didn’t know is that the locals’ custom demanded that the visitors present gifts at the end of the stay and were incensed when they tried to leave without giving gifts. Where could this have been?

Something like this happened on Cabot’s 1526 expedition to what is present-day Argentina.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you want actual hardware and signal processing, you can get an audio compressor, though you're going to lose dynamic range. It will crunch all the sounds together to similar loudnesses.

Also, some content is mixed for like 5.1 and if you have a stereo setup, the levels are going to be off in the down mixing (like the sound from the back speakers gets overrepresented in the stereo mix). This happens with :filez: as well, especially if the content provider does a 5.1 -> 2.0 reencoding

ie, something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1316007-REG/fmr_audio_rnc1773_really_nice_compressor.html

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 4, 2020

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Some TVs have a setting to set floor and ceiling values audio coming out of them so poke around your audio settings. On TCL's its called leveling.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My mom "needs" steel containers like contegos, but she uses them for sugary drinks and they get moldy pretty fast. But finding replacement lids that fit her assorted steel beverage things has been a challenge.

I've been tasked with finding her cheap contego type bottles that have cheap lids, a uniform style of lid that can be replaced after they get too dirty. They also need to have some kind of spout.

This is very wasteful, but my folks won't change their ways and I'm sick of trying to deep clean those loving things. Tossing out lids honestly feels less wasteful than them throwing out entire bottles because they can't get a new lid.

So, does a cheap thermos type product with cheap lids that are easy to clean or toss and that have a standard lid type exist?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 4, 2020

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm ok so that's in gibbis, so lots of joke answers and whatnot. Seeing that I'm not angling for comedy, y'all reckon a thread like I'm pondering might take off in SHSC? Perhaps PYF? (Also, is there in fact another thread like this already?)

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Kevin DuBrow posted:

pretty much everywhere they've gone lol. "incensed" is a pretty lame way to describe it though. here's an example near and dear to my heart https://alaskahistoricalsociety.org...squicentennial/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RandomPauI posted:

My mom "needs" steel containers like contegos, but she uses them for sugary drinks and they get moldy pretty fast. But finding replacement lids that fit her assorted steel beverage things has been a challenge.

I've been tasked with finding her cheap contego type bottles that have cheap lids, a uniform style of lid that can be replaced after they get too dirty. They also need to have some kind of spout.

This is very wasteful, but my folks won't change their ways and I'm sick of trying to deep clean those loving things. Tossing out lids honestly feels less wasteful than them throwing out entire bottles because they can't get a new lid.

So, does a cheap thermos type product with cheap lids that are easy to clean or toss and that have a standard lid type exist?

Contigo replacement lids are like $5 US. How cheap does your mum need the lids to be?

Edit to add: “universal replacement” lids on Amazon are all at least $4. It seems like just buying the Contigo replacement lids would be the money-saver :shrug:

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 4, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My chrome spell checker has been turbo hosed for a while. It barely works and drives me nuts. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried to look at solutions online and nothing has worked to fix it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know this is going to sound crazy, but hear me out: I think our new dishwasher came with ants.

We got the new dishwasher a couple of weeks ago and the ants showed up this week. They are only ever in and around the dishwasher and I can't find any evidence of them coming in from outside.

What the gently caress should I do here? Here was my original plan:
  1. Buy one of those Raid ant bait packages and put it on the floor near the dishwasher.
  2. Wait a few days for the Raid to get brought to the colony.
  3. Run the dishwasher empty using the sanitize cycle with a dishwasher cleaning pack.
  4. Clean the trap out of ant corpses.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 as needed? (really hope it won't come to this)

But I was worried about the possibility of poisoned ant bodies contaminating the things I wash my dishes in. Think that would be an issue?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I'd just do 1 and not worry about the rest.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Moo the cow posted:

I'd just do 1 and not worry about the rest.

Yeah I kind of figured I was overthinking it a little.

Would it be safe to lay one of them inside the dishwasher? I'll remove it before running it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is the plural of Ford Focus Fords Focus or Ford Foci?